AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Learning Japanese (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=180)

SSJiffy 2007-10-20 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onakra (Post 1212141)
Just noting that "atashi" is only used by females.

And it might be just me, but this seems to "flow" a bit better.
"watashi ha hatachi ni naru no de iwatte okimasu"

I know, but I was rushing to post and fly out the door for a 夜食. Thanks. :p

The Chaos 2007-10-21 10:54

are u learning how to speak o how to wright ?
if it how to speak I want to learn , too :help:

HentaiEqualsGod 2007-10-21 16:02

HentaiEqualsGod desu yo.

dozo yoroshiku, onegai shimasu!

(i know only a very little bit of spoken Japanese, but I am trying to learn more. The characters give me an impossibly hard time... but I'm trying!)

SSJiffy 2007-10-21 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by HentaiEqualsGod (Post 1213338)
HentaiEqualsGod desu yo.

dozo yoroshiku, onegai shimasu!

(i know only a very little bit of spoken Japanese, but I am trying to learn more. The characters give me an impossibly hard time... but I'm trying!)

That looks good enough to me. A slight fix though, 'dozo' is romanized as 'douzo'. And when I was taught to introduce myself in Japanese 1 I was told to use the following format:

Hajimemashite, Watashi no namae Wa Diasu Rauru Desu. Douzo Yoroshiku.

Now that I'm in Japanese 4 subtle changes have been made which I'll italicize for you to see:

Hajimemashite, Watashi wa Diasu Rauru to iimasu. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

Firstly the 'no namae' part by Watashi was dropped, then 'desu' was replaced by 'to iimasu' (called/known as) and the 'Douzo Yoroshiku' was modified but this and that form are both good.

SSJiffy 2007-10-21 20:36

Several Sentences in need of a look-over.

Hey there, I've been practicing several new grammar forms and have created some sentences of which may need revision.

二階建て子供のへやにステレオを動かして直いて下さい。
Meaning: Please take and place the stereo in the upstairs (2nd story) kids room.

Are both このみ先生にペンをいただきました。and このみ先生にペンを下さいました。correct?

Does 彼女に上げた。mean "I gave it to her" with sexual connotations attached or is it acceptable to use it?

Are 花に水をやった。and 水を花にやった。 both correct ways of saying "I have water to the flowers."?

日本語が少しずつわかってきました。
Meaning: I came to learn Japanese gradually.

りんごとオレンジが三つずつほしいです。
Meaning: I want three of each apple and orange.

チーズケーキを食べてほしいためにキッチンへ行きました。
Meaning: Because I wanted to eat cheesecake, I went to the kitchen.

これは日本語を勉強するためのきょかしょです。
Meaning: This textbook is for studying Japanese.

雨が降るでしょうので、学校へ行って置きます。
Meaning: It was probably going to rain so I left to school in advance.

おみやげを買ってもいいでしょうか。
Meaning: Is it alright even if I buy souvenirs?

飲んだり、カメラを使ったり、派したりしないで下さい。
Meaning: Please don't drink, use a camera, or run. In that construction, I didn't know how to say 'take pictures' so I resorted to 'using a camera'.

とてもお水は飲んだほうがいいです。
Meaning: It's better for you to drink a lot of water.

shadow-of-sin 2007-10-21 21:06

Quote:

Does 彼女に上げた。mean "I gave it to her" with sexual connotations attached or is it acceptable to use it?
lol...no it doesn't have sexual connotations

Quote:

Meaning: Because I wanted to eat cheesecake, I went to the kitchen.
Hmm...I think this is wrong as when using ため to mean because, the clause before it must not be under your control (an example of correct use: 台風がやってきたために- because a typhoon came)

Quote:

これは日本語を勉強するためのきょかしょです。
Meaning: This textbook is for studying Japanese.
textbook=きょかしょ

Quote:

雨が降るでしょうので、学校へ行って置きます。
Meaning: It was probably going to rain so I left to school in advance.
Should be: 置きました . Also while 振るでしょう is correct, people usually say: 雨が降りそうなので

Quote:

Meaning: Please don't drink, use a camera, or run. In that construction, I didn't know how to say 'take pictures' so I resorted to 'using a camera'.
The correct kanji for run is: 走る. Also, to take pictures is: 写真を撮ったり

Quote:

とてもお水は飲んだほうがいいです。
Meaning: It's better for you to drink a lot of water.
Sounds weird to me, I would say:
水をたっぷり飲んだほうがいい (You should drink plenty of water). Also note: don't use this when giving a light suggestion (this structure is for giving a strong suggestion, so a good translation of it is: "You had better..."). If you want to suggest something without coming across as rude use: ”たらいい” or ”たらどう?”

Nagato 2007-10-22 05:44

Quote:

このみ先生にペンを下さいました。
Correct me if I'm wrong since I don't quite use polite language my self.
But it sounds weird to me. I think it sould be, このみ先生がペンを下さいました。下さる is the polite word for くれる, like いただく for もらう.

Quote:

二階建て子供のへやにステレオを動かして直いて下さい。
I can't recognize this word: 直いて
Do you mean
二階建ての子供の部屋にステレオを移しておいて下さい。

Quote:

makes me laugh, cuz it reminds me of my friend used it that way
You use ~「て」ほしい when you want someone do something (for your sake, her/his, or others).
In your case here, you can use ~たい form
チーズケーキを食べたいのでキッチンへ行きました
or If チーズケーキ is that rare or hard for you to get, you can use ため :heh:
チーズケーキを食べたいがために(私は幾千の障害を乗り越えて)キッチンへ行きました

[Edit]
Spoiler for If you are interested:

Quote:

Typo ^_^

Quote:

とてもお水は飲んだほうがいいです。
水は十分飲んだ方がいいです。

shadow-of-sin 2007-10-22 14:58

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong since I don't quite use polite language my self.
But it sounds weird to me. I think it sould be, このみ先生がペンを下さいました。下さる is the polite word for くれる, like いただく for もらう.
Ugh...my bad. Yeah this is correct...

Vexx 2007-10-23 01:33

@H.E.G.: The advantage of that form of Hepburn romaji is that it doesn't require all the diacritical marks that can make typing unpleasant -- instead using "ou" and "shi""sha" and so on. A quick Google or trip to the bookstore for a *recent* introduction to japanese or their phonetic kana will standardize your spelling of japanese words. "dozo" is a poorer approximation than "douzo" (どうぞ) though one should always remember that ANY written version of a word in any language is an APPROXIMATION of the way it is pronounced and often laden with historical debris --- like "Knight".... you don't say "k-nig-het" do you (unless you're a Python).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJiffy (Post 1213517)
That looks good enough to me. A slight fix though, 'dozo' is romanized as 'douzo'. And when I was taught to introduce myself in Japanese 1 I was told to use the following format:

Hajimemashite, Watashi no namae Wa Diasu Rauru Desu. Douzo Yoroshiku.

Now that I'm in Japanese 4 subtle changes have been made which I'll italicize for you to see:

Hajimemashite, Watashi wa Diasu Rauru to iimasu. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

Firstly the 'no namae' part by Watashi was dropped, then 'desu' was replaced by 'to iimasu' (called/known as) and the 'Douzo Yoroshiku' was modified but this and that form are both good.

Terrestrial Dream 2007-10-23 14:23

How would you say these in Japnese, 中国,美國, and 韓國. I know what the mean and though these are Chinese I think it's almost identical to kanji.

Risaa 2007-10-23 17:50

Chuugoku, and... I have never seen the second kanji in the last two you listed. Neither has my kanji dictionary. O_o

soka 2007-10-23 18:59

The third one is South Korea but they use 韓国 (kankoku) where 国 is a simplified version of 國.
The second one is United States but they use 米国 (beikoku) or just アメリカ (America).

Terrestrial Dream 2007-10-23 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by soka (Post 1217013)
The third one is South Korea but they use 韓国 (kankoku) where 国 is a simplified version of 國.
The second one is United States but they use 米国 (beikoku) or just アメリカ (America).

米 and 韓 what do they mean?

shadow-of-sin 2007-10-23 19:27

米 means rice(read as "bei" in "beikoku")
韓 means Korea(read as "kan" in "kankoku")

Risaa 2007-10-24 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by soka (Post 1217013)
The third one is South Korea but they use ?? (kankoku) where ? is a simplified version of ?.
The second one is United States but they use ?? (beikoku) or just ???? (America).

Oh, thanks! I was mystified by the strange-looking kanji. :heh:

deathreape98 2007-10-24 05:08

I'm writing a little something, anybody know where I can find a list of traditional japanese chants, thenin romajii, then translated into english?

Vexx 2007-10-24 08:57

What do you mean by "chants"? Shinto prayers? Buddhist meditations? Haiku?

deathreape98 2007-10-24 17:15

yeah, stuff like that. like the stuff used in anime that gets an editors note saying that this is a shinto chant/whatever to do whatever.

Autumn Demon 2007-10-24 21:44

what does the = sign mean in roumaji? i see it occasionally in fansubs connecting two japanized english words, like in ray=out (from Eureka 7).

WanderingKnight 2007-10-24 22:15

Quote:

what does the = sign mean in roumaji? i see it occasionally in fansubs connecting two japanized english words, like in ray=out (from Eureka 7).
Nothing in particular. Since there's no space in Japanese notation, sometimes they use = or ・ to symbolize a separation between two different foreign words.