AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (CR) Holmes at Kyoto Teramachi Sanjō (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=150845)

Stark700 2018-03-11 10:12

Holmes at Kyoto Teramachi Sanjō

https://i.imgur.com/V9BBV8z.jpg?1

Quote:

The wraparound jacket band on Mai Mochizuki and Ichiha Akizuki's first Holmes at Kyoto Teramachi Sanjō (Kyōto Teramachi Sanjō no Holmes) manga volume is announcing on Monday that a television anime adaptation of Mochizuki's original novel series has been green-lit. The anime will air this summer.
Plot Summary
Quote:

The "light, antique mystery" series revolves around a "spiteful," handsome Kyoto boy and a high school girl. The story is set at an antique shop in Kyoto's Teramachi Sanjō shopping district. High school girl Aoi Mashiro unexpectedly runs into Kiyotaka Yagashira, the son of the shop's owner, and ends up working part-time at the shop. Kiyotaka is called the "Holmes at Teramachi Sanjō," and he and Aoi solve odd cases brought to them by various clients.
Official site
http://kyototeramachi-holmes.com/

Source (ANN)
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...summer/.128830

Stark700 2018-04-11 23:15

Promo and character cast

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-debut/.130253

Stark700 2018-05-17 02:05

New key visual
https://i.imgur.com/exSrbCu.jpg?1

MisaoFan 2018-06-01 12:30

PV 2:
Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

MisaoFan 2018-06-15 11:25

More cast members:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...embers/.132953

Stark700 2018-07-02 18:32

Crunchyroll announced for stream.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...summer/.133722

Stark700 2018-07-09 14:02

First episode is up on Crunchyroll.

I noticed the series' genre is labeled as 'mystery' on MAL but this felt like a slice of life/shoujo.

Holmes seems like a pretty cool guy though and has a clever mind. This has my attention so far. Hopefully we'll get more characterization on Aoi too for rest of the season. The antique themes makes me hope that Tsukumodo Antique Shop also get an anime someday.

The antique shop looks visually appealing so far.

Anh_Minh 2018-07-09 16:35

On paper, I should like it, but I'm really not sure about that counterfeit conspiracy. It sounds over the top.

frodonk 2018-07-09 17:03

I don't know if I should lump this one with all those reverse harem series this season, there's only 1 guy so far (3 in the poster, 4 if we include the grandfather..) if it turns out that the next few episodes would just be the girl swooning over how holmesian the MC is then I'll definitely drop it.

orion 2018-07-10 00:35

I think the main couple is going to be Holmes-san x Aoi and not a reverse harem. Getting Holmes-san upset means losing her job. We know she won't do that. :heh:

LKK 2018-07-10 12:18

I was surprised by Holmes' personality. I'm used to Holmes-type characters being acerbic, arrogant, and slightly self-centered. This "Holmes" wasn't. He seemed like a nice guy. It was a nice change of pace.

SilverGlavenus 2018-07-10 13:21

Shoujo vibe is there, but not as strong as the other series.

Guardian Enzo 2018-07-10 16:41

I thought that was pretty decent, on the whole. Right about where I expected it to be.

orion 2018-07-10 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverGlavenus (Post 6257563)
Shoujo vibe is there, but not as strong as the other series.

Yeah, shoujo bubbles were pretty in this episode. I just wished that the female MC wasn't having a financial issue that she had to work off at the male MC's place of employment.

Cloudedmind 2018-07-10 23:00

I wouldn't really call wanting to buy a ticket to go tell off her ex-boyfriend and ex-friend, a financial issue. It's not something she needs to do anyway. If anything I think she took the job because it gives her something to do and she now finds Holmes and what he does interesting.

Anyway, I also enjoyed the episode, and like Holmes as a character so far.

EroKing 2018-07-11 03:55

This show wasn't even in my radar but I found the whole atmosphere of the show to be quite pleasant. Characters are interesting and the pacing was perfect too.

orion 2018-07-11 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudedmind (Post 6257708)
I wouldn't really call wanting to buy a ticket to go tell off her ex-boyfriend and ex-friend, a financial issue. It's not something she needs to do anyway. If anything I think she took the job because it gives her something to do and she now finds Holmes and what he does interesting.

Anyway, I also enjoyed the episode, and like Holmes as a character so far.

She was trying to sell antiques in order to buy the ticket. It's a financial issue imo.

Cloudedmind 2018-07-11 09:35

To me a financial issue is someone needing money to get something that's a necessity. I'd love to get this really nice BJD, but I don't have the money, that's not a financial issue, that's a first world problem. I see her situation as much the same. If she was trying to sell antiques to feed her family, then that's a financial issue.

alex_drian 2018-07-12 13:05

Well, I though this would be a more average detective series, but was interesting nonetheless, slightly shoujo-ist and kinda interesting. Holmes is holmesic and Aoi is cute so with everything say, 3 episode rule.

Marcus H. 2018-07-13 02:31

Holmesian characters really like their women like their oranges, with their skin peeled back and all the sense of comfort thrown aside. That aside, he's much kinder than most similar characters, if Aoi is indeed his Watson.

Unlike in Vatican Miracle Examiner, the story of a Japanese antique craft appraiser is way more down-to-earth, and you get to actually pin down the "mystery" to real life. As for the real story of the episode, Aoi wanted to give her ex-boyfriend a piece of her mind by selling two of her late grandfather's kakejiku for a bullet train ticket to Saitama. A bit excessive, if you'd ask me. :heh: Some people are not worth millions of yen in antique crafts.

That said, despite the difference in coverage, there seems to be a villain lurking around making money out of counterfeits, and Aoi will definitely get caught in all of this.

Currently my only worry is the rather below-average animation quality, especially in far shots. I hope the quality doesn't dip any lower.

Ghostfriendly 2018-07-14 08:27

Really like this compared to Phantom in the Twilight, or any similar shoujo. Focus on two interesting characters instead of four generic ones. Kiyotaka consistently breaking into Aoi's thoughts and showing both unsettlingly analytical and quietly wise sides really establishes him as a character. Also it suggests that the writers know a bit more about classic mystery stories than some others. Even if Aoi is a simpler character, her boyfriend dumping her for her best friend is both a more developed and realistic backstory than some shoujo anime heroines get in bishonen focused series.

SeijiSensei 2018-07-14 13:51

I wish Aoi was a bit older, like twenty rather than sixteen. Otherwise I enjoyed this episode despite some reviewers thinking it slow. I thought it moved right along myself.

If you enjoy the emphasis on Japanese antiquities, I strongly recommend taking a look at Hyouge Mono. It takes place in the Sengoku period and features a number of "warrior-esthetes" fascinated by the works of art used in Japanese tea ceremonies.

Ghostfriendly 2018-07-15 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 6259269)
If you enjoy the emphasis on Japanese antiquities, I strongly recommend taking a look at Hyouge Mono. It takes place in the Sengoku period and features a number of "warrior-esthetes" fascinated by the works of art used in Japanese tea ceremonies.

Is it legally available? Am interested in that series.

SeijiSensei 2018-07-16 08:39

No, it's only fansubbed. I see there's a newish BD rip with English and Russian subs, but the original fansub begun by Huzzah and completed by Doremi is excellent. It was apparently a difficult work to subtitle with esoteric historical and artistic material and sometimes antiquated language. Hyouge Mono also traveled a bumpy road on its way to an anime adaptation. The author of the award-winning manga disowned the show, and the original OP was dumped after just four episodes because one of the band members was arrested for marijuana possession. Certainly not allowed on an NHK-produced anime.

Thread here.

There is also a parallel set of live-action shorts about the various works of art that appear or are mentioned in Hyouge Mono. Unfortunately there are no subtitles for these items except in the Chinese fansub. They looked pretty interesting, too, so I was disappointed. Then again, whether the show would ever be subbed fully was in doubt for some time. Read the thread to see why. The BD rip uses the same English subs from Huzzah and Doremi and apparently includes the specials with no subtitles.

Hyouge Mono has one of my favorite EDs of all time, the mesmerizing, Samba-flavored "KIZUNA" by Saito Yuki.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly (Post 6259081)
Kiyotaka consistently breaking into Aoi's thoughts and showing both unsettlingly analytical and quietly wise sides really establishes him as a character.

I hope his apparent mind-reading abilities will be explained lest they become too mystical.

Ghostfriendly 2018-07-16 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 6259823)
I hope his apparent mind-reading abilities will be explained lest they become too mystical.

It might be harder in anime than text to explain step by step how Kiyotaka infers Aoi's thoughts from her reactions, as Sherlock Holmes himself and Dupin did. We can see that Aoi's thoughts are pretty visible on her face, so he pretty much makes an informed guess.

I watched the first half-dozen episodes of Hyouge Mono with the rest of the Bee Train Fan community (an amazing community), but I realised at some point that as a Christian I can't watch fansubs. I certainly recall that the first opening was very good, until it got cut, as you say, because of the drugs scandal.

SilverGlavenus 2018-07-17 01:03

The two sisters are absolutely gorgeous. Man! The art is really good.

SeijiSensei 2018-07-17 12:39

Both I and my same-aged friend with whom I watch anime thought episode two was considerably inferior to the first one. I want to see material about works of art and appraisal, not weak mysteries about jealous girls. If this is where the rest of the show is going, I don't think I'll be sticking around until the end.

orion 2018-07-17 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 6260130)
Both I and my same-aged friend with whom I watch anime thought episode two was considerably inferior to the first one. I want to see material about works of art and appraisal, not weak mysteries about jealous girls. If this is where the rest of the show is going, I don't think I'll be sticking around until the end.

Well... you are watching a title where Aoi has to get over her ex having a relationship with her best friend (possiby cheating on her with the friend while being with Aoi) with Holmes "testing the water" so I think it's a fair bet that relationships are also being discussed. This looks like a shoujo title by design so I would expect art appraisal not to be the first thing being discussed.

If Aoi was male we'd be having 1st date discussions right now imo as this episode was pretty close to one. Instead, we learned a little more about Aoi's back issue of not able to make or have a lot of friends at her previous school.

Cloudedmind 2018-07-17 13:18

Actually I think this was more of a backdrop about Aoi not being able to make new friends at her new school because of what happened with ex-boyfriend, and ex-friend from her old place.

Her fear of something like that happening again was keeping her from reaching out. She finally decided to with the youngest sister after seeing what kind of person she was.

Guardian Enzo 2018-07-17 17:25

One of the minefields with anime mysteries is that the mysteries are often the weakest part of the series. How they balance the mystery and the character-driven material (assuming it’s better) determines whether the show sinks or swims.

I’m in the same boat as Sensei here - I thought this mystery was pretty lame. But I like the vibe between Kiyotaka and Aoi, and the antiques side has potential, so I’ll stick around for now.

FlareKnight 2018-07-17 21:22

I will agree the mystery didn't wow me here. Even with this show I thought there would be more mystery surrounding art and artifacts. But this was more of a mystery that just ended up having art related to it by the end. The people came there because Holmes is a clever detective type, not because he's an art appraiser.

Now I did sort of like how the younger sister was apparently more gifted artistically and was the type to plan things out more carefully. The family dynamic and how the sisters behaved had some interest to me.

But as a whole it wasn't a wowing episode. They can still deliver strong episodes with this setup and I do like the main pair so far. Fingers crossed.

Ghostfriendly 2018-07-20 03:24

Even I could see that the expressions and movement in this episode were pretty stiff, and the mystery wasn't amazing, but alright if they're going to build up to solving more serious problems. It was nice that the self-effacing little sister got some well deserved Aoi appreciation.

It's a pity that Holmes was relying on induction, rather than the deduction the original was famous for. Without forensic evidence induction often lends itself to these interpersonal problems, but one wishes the detective would check their informed guesses before the denounment. Also, as Seijisensei was saying, appraising artworks gives an excellent chance for deductive reasoning. Would the episode be improved if Holmes had explained why the two flower arrangements couldn't have been produced by the same artist, or would that have slowed things down too much?

frodonk 2018-07-24 08:41

I didn't expect this series to reuse some of the themes from the original stories, this time it's ears.. I don't know if this trend will continue since ep2 didn't have something from the original stories AFAIK.

Also, it's the third episode and the art is getting wonky, not a good sign.

SilverGlavenus 2018-07-24 22:15

Hmmm, this episode delves more into the 'romance' aspect. Both Holmes and Aoi experienced the same thing, so there's a great chance for their romance in the future, though I'm not sure if Aoi being so obsessed with her ex-boyfriend should be mentioned over and over again.

Considering how Haruhiko is already 20 years old, the lady and secretary must have been doing this before the sensei died.

Anh_Minh 2018-07-25 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverGlavenus (Post 6262795)
Considering how Haruhiko is already 20 years old, the lady and secretary must have been doing this before the sensei died.

Yes, everyone involved took it surprisingly well, starting with the guy being cheated on.

LKK 2018-07-25 09:02

I had different take on the adultery. I was under the impression that the sensei gave his wife to the secretary as a thank-you gift for saving his life. Furthermore, the wife wasn't a completely willing participant, and she destroyed the scrolls out of revenge.

Did I accidentally rewrite the story into something more salacious?

Cloudedmind 2018-07-25 09:30

Maybe I need to go and re-watch, but I thought the episode implied if not outright stated that sensei practically gave his wife to the secretary because he'd saved his life?

Edit: Opps, I probably should have refreshed the page before typing up my comment, but my understanding/interpretation as you will was similar to yours LKK. Although, I'm not sure if the wife was unwilling or just embarrassed about the whole thing and clearly didn't want her sons to know, what the three adults had gotten up to.

orion 2018-07-25 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudedmind (Post 6262896)
Maybe I need to go and re-watch, but I thought the episode implied if not outright stated that sensei practically gave his wife to the secretary because he'd saved his life?

Edit: Opps, I probably should have refreshed the page before typing up my comment, but my understanding/interpretation as you will was similar to yours LKK. Although, I'm not sure if the wife was unwilling or just embarrassed about the whole thing and clearly didn't want her sons to know, what the three adults had gotten up to.

You can't "give" a spouse to another person. In other words, his wife was also in on the arrangement. The guy had feeling for the wife and a bastard child was produced in the process imo. The wife didn't want that to come out so all the expensive scrolls (fakes in reality-thank goodness) got burned to cover her past indiscretion. She didn't get one penny of an inheritance.

One of the 2 brothers was pissed.

Now of all the things to tell a kid after you die. "Hey, you're not my kid. Your dad is my secretary." Imagine now what the remaining 2 "legitimate" heirs are going to do.

SilverGlavenus 2018-07-25 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKK (Post 6262888)
I had different take on the adultery. I was under the impression that the sensei gave his wife to the secretary as a thank-you gift for saving his life. Furthermore, the wife wasn't a completely willing participant, and she destroyed the scrolls out of revenge.

Did I accidentally rewrite the story into something more salacious?

Sensei gave the ring to his wife and the ring itself represents freedom, so it means that the wife wanted to be with the secretary and sensei wanted to remove her shackles. I don't think the sensei is arrogant enough to force his wife into that relationship and then set her free just like that. If the animation means anything, the way she looks at the secretary is enough proof of that, imo.

Cloudedmind 2018-07-25 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by orion (Post 6262923)
You can't "give" a spouse to another person. In other words, his wife was also in on the arrangement. The guy had feeling for the wife and a bastard child was produced in the process imo. The wife didn't want that to come out so all the expensive scrolls (fakes in reality-thank goodness) got burned to cover her past indiscretion. She didn't get one penny of an inheritance.

One of the 2 brothers was pissed.

Now of all the things to tell a kid after you die. "Hey, you're not my kid. Your dad is my secretary." Imagine now what the remaining 2 "legitimate" heirs are going to do.

I meant gave in the sense that the husband suggested his wife and the secretary hook up to begin with, as he noticed the secretary had feelings for the wife. In that sense he "gave" his wife to the secretary, if nothing else he gave his blessing. Their whole situation is supposed to be a parallel to the story of the third scroll where in which an item was in fact given to one of the people in the story that the third scroll depicts, for that characters good foresight.

But on another note you very much can/could physically give your wife to another person, and for centuries you could sell them and your kids to pay for or work off debts. Because for centuries women and children were seen as property of their husbands, fathers, or even uncles or brothers.