AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Nintendo Revolution -> Wii (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31552)

Masj 2006-04-27 14:53

Nintendo Revolution -> Wii

Nintendo did offically announce the new name for their nextgen console...

It will be named Wii pronounced We

Quote:

Introducing... Wii.

As in "we."

While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer.

Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else.

Wii will put people more in touch with their games ... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes this console is for everyone.

Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play.

And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you.

Because, it's really not about you or me.

It's about Wii.

And together, Wii will change everything.
Alright let's discuss this mater and what you thing of the new name!

source: http://revolution.nintendo.com

mantidor 2006-04-27 15:03

wha? no replies?

well, it sucks beyond words, Nintendo why the hell are you so retarded!?

dan88 2006-04-27 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantidor
wha? no replies?
well, it sucks beyond words, Nintendo why the hell are you so retarded!?

For you foreigners.... in the UK to "wee" is to urinate! ....in a single stroke Nintendo has become a laughing stock and many people are predicting their demise!

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=26499&page=10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan88
I would have voted for the Revolution but it seem they have decided to call it the ..... "Wii"
http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/e...equestid=81212
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64153
I think it has to be a windup. Please, please.

The jokes have already started.....

Who wants a wee?
You could also pronounce this 'why' - as it WHY DEAR GOD?
I am so not having a Wii in the corner of my bedroom
You can play with each others Wii

Some suitable launch titles.....
Super Ma-Wii-o
Wave Race Wii: Golden Showers
Legend of Zelda: TWIIlight Princess
Sonic Wii .......a fast moving torrent of a game.
Animal Crossing wii .....the watering can is no longer required to freshen the flowers.
Super Monkey Wii - Touch and Slosh
Project Wii
Resident Wiivil

PS3 will "wee" all over the nintendo machine now no matter how piss poor it is!

I'm not sure the internet can take the stain! :heh:

Akuma-sama 2006-04-27 15:20

Well, that stinks... smells like ammonia actually... :rolleyes:

And now, for the festival of Wii little jokes...

Ryuu-Odjn 2006-04-27 15:31

I think they're taking the Wii myself ^^;

Yeah it's an awful name. I think that Nintendo will end up changing the name after everyone's response. Revolution was so much better.

Masj 2006-04-27 15:40

I hope they will... I mean it sounds awfull to say ... I can't get it sound right in my mouth!

I think Nintendo UK is cursing the head quarters for naming it wii ... wee = pee so Nintendo's new name might be a bad hit with British English speaking countries... Europe anyone?

Zappster 2006-04-27 15:49

Won't stop me from buying it, but yeah it is an awful name. Much preferred the sound of the Revolution

mantidor 2006-04-27 16:14

I was aware of the urine/genital connotations, but trust me, even here, in colombia, a spanish speaking country where "wii" doesnt mean anything is still a really stupid name, is confusing and sounds like a pig screaming. The sound itself is just not appealing, certainly not from a mass market point of view.

dan88 2006-04-27 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masj
I think Nintendo UK is cursing the head quarters for naming it wii ... wee = pee so Nintendo's new name might be a bad hit with British English speaking countries... Europe anyone?

Well this gives you a general idea of how people think it will play in europe....
Quote:

Germans will pronounce this 'Ve' and the French will think it's a stupid way of saying 'Yes', the British think it means 'urine' - could they have fecked up a European brand name any more than this? (Not to mention if you add another 'W' it looks like WWII). Seriously, this is the most bizarre name ever, and wrong on so many levels it's not true.

uLTraCarL- 2006-04-27 16:58

I'm not too sad about it. Granted Revolution was a powerful name but this one holds a name itself.

It stands out, even if it is used in the butt of all jokes. How can you not with that kind of name? Even I'm having fun with it.

Daniel E. 2006-04-27 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantidor
I was aware of the urine/genital connotations, but trust me, even here, in colombia, a spanish speaking country where "wii" doesnt mean anything is still a really stupid name, is confusing and sounds like a pig screaming. The sound itself is just not appealing, certainly not from a mass market point of view.

Took the words out of my mouth. :D

I live in Mexico, and I am sure a lot of people around here will have a similar reaction when they hear the new name.

dan88 2006-04-27 17:49

I've been reading a number of forums and have not laughted so hard in a long time however on a more serious note.....
I had planned to get one but Nintendo has just given me a reason not to buy it.

It's a toy I shouldn't be buying anyway. If it was anything like the NintendoDS I would have probably spent a lots of money buying game I would only occasionally play and then usually just with friends. I'm not really a console game player so it was going to be a little used guilty luxury.

I was slowly becoming a Nintendo Fanboy but I'll happily save my money and buy something else. Might be a good time to put away the NintendoDS too. It actually feels good to be saving the money!

Thats one sale they lost to the Wii.... how many other potential sales have they also lost?

Maceart 2006-04-27 17:57

I dunno. One side of me says "this is such an assnine name" while the other is saying "it's only a name. don't worry about it".

Still, saying "I'm going to play Smash Brothers and Fire Emblem on my Wii" sounds deceptively weird.

ImperialPanda 2006-04-27 18:06

Didn't think it was possible to come up with something worse than the boomerang.

Komataguri 2006-04-27 18:56

Every day I think the stupidity in the world can not suprise me any longer.

and every day something of incredible stupidity comes up to make me reevaluate my measuring stick.

and today, it is the Wii.

I can imagine someone buying two of them just so he can say he has a Weewee.

srb 2006-04-27 19:22

Revolution is a much more powerful and striking name - "Wii" just sounds silly, and like you're going to the bathroom.

What would you rather see in stores - boxes which say "Nintendo REVOLUTION" in some cool font, or "Nintendo Wii"?

Orchunter226 2006-04-27 19:40

Well I don't have any problem with the name. They could name it "Pile of Shit Box" for all I care. As long as it had fun games I will play it. The revolution, to me, looks the most promising. So even though the name is kind of odd (no more so than Google, Yahoo, or Ipod) I will get it for Red Steel if anything else. Plus the controller pwns.

Besides my Xbox 360 is collecting dust and the PS3, if it's similar to the PS2, will also sit in my room doing nothing for the grand majority of its lifespan.

xxxplizit 2006-04-27 19:42

Wii...o dear. More jokes on that. "Does anyone wanna play with my wii-wii?"

The again, if the system will do good, I'll get it.

bluemist 2006-04-27 19:44

Over here, wii-wii also means "pee".

One half of my brain is saying "what the hell are they thinking?"

The other half is saying "wii will buy Nintendo Wii."

Fox Fire 2006-04-27 19:47

Nintendo knows what their doing

atleast I hope so 0_o