AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What good anime is to download? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=7369)

aroq 2004-02-14 00:43

What good anime is to download?

I mean really, what good it is anyway? :mad: Sorry just kidding, it's just an ambiguous way to phrase the question hehe.

First off I must say I am fantastically ignorant about anime and have ONLY seen the most marketable stuff like Miyazaki, Satoshi Kon and some other stuff like Akira.

Ok so I would like to find some intelligent, plot-oriented, mature anime. From Miyazaki I like Spirited Away and particularly My Neighbor Totoro (ok, not SO mature lol) and form Satoshi Kon I like everything, Tokyo Godfathers the most and Perfect Blue the least (he just keeps evolving his work!), and I particularly love Paranoia Agent.

I generally don't like SF/Fantasy/Romance/Robots/fighting/historical/action stuff. I just generally DO like a really great story. So obviously both of those statements are way too general but I really would appreciate it if anyone could suggest some of the best fansubs or DVDs that you think I might enjoy.

Thanks!
Roq

sperry 2004-02-14 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroq
I generally don't like SF/Fantasy/Romance/Robots/fighting/historical/action stuff. I just generally DO like a really great story. So obviously both of those statements are way too general but I really would appreciate it if anyone could suggest some of the best fansubs or DVDs that you think I might enjoy.

Well, you've pretty much killed just about every anime out there. What other genre is there? Here are some, that, might be of the genres you dislike, but are extremely good and you might enjoy anyway:

Evangelion(Robots, but one of the best stories you'll ever find in an anime)
RahXephon(See Evangelion)
Gasaraki(also, robots, but the story is amazing)
Stellvia of the Universe(Another sci-fi one, but if you can get past that, the character development is unbelievably good.)

And, I'm going to add another one, Nadesico. Nadesico isn't really mature or plot-oriented at all, but it's just so damn funny. ^_^

Sorry that all my suggestions are mech anime, but, well, that's me. They still all have great plot and characters. Good luck with your search.

Kamui4356 2004-02-14 16:22

No SF/Fantasy/Romance/Robots/fighting/historical/action stuff? Well then I suggest Azumanga Daioh. It might not have a plot, but it's funny as hell, and not having a plot seems to be the only way to avoid those catagories. :) Other than that maybe Hikaru no Go and .hack//sign. I can't really think of anything else that would fit if you want to strictly adhere to those catagories. If not then Lain, Key the metal idol, Boogiepop Phantom, Haibane Renmei, Mermaid's forest, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Kanon, Last Exile, Escaflowne, Scrapped Princess, R.O.D. ova and TV, X tv, and Witch Hunter Robin. Also I second all the series sperry recommended except Gasaraki. It's a love it or hate it series and I'm firmly on the side of hate it. The only thing it has going for it are the most realistic looking mechs in any anime. If they ever do build mechs, they'll probably look like the ones in Gasaraki.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry
And, I'm going to add another one, Nadesico. Nadesico isn't really mature or plot-oriented at all, but it's just so damn funny. ^_^

Actually Nadesico does have a very good plot and is more mature than most people, including the majority of it's fans, give it credit for. The comedy aspect of the show often makes people forget what's really going on in the series.
Also I've been meaning to say this for a while, but the quote in your sig from Megumi should be "the 4th wall" indicating she's talking to the audience. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like an obsessed Nadesico fanboy... (Even though I obviously am :) )

sperry 2004-02-14 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Also I've been meaning to say this for a while, but the quote in your sig from Megumi should be "the 4th wall" indicating she's talking to the audience. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like an obsessed Nadesico fanboy... (Even though I obviously am :) )

lol... I know that's what she said. But... I didn't exactly know what she meant by it, so I left it out, for some reason. ^^;; Now that I know, I can put it back in. *feels stupid*

But yes, Nadesico definetly has a good plot, but I meant that if you're looking for some really intelligent, really mature themed anime, Nadesico isn't really the one. It's funny as hell, and has a great story, like I said, I just wouldn't really call it a very mature one.

aroq 2004-02-15 15:57

Sperry, Kamui, lol I realize my question didn't make too much sense because I said I don't like so many (most? all?) common anime themes but I guess I was just trying to say that I probably wouldn't appreciate anime FOR the things I listed. Like I wouldn't think the robots or the fight scenes or the mythical creatures were really cool and enjoy a series for those things, but I might still like the series if the story or characters were great or whatever. Funny is good too!

I can see you guys kind of guessed this anyway and gave me some interesting suggestions. Thanks for those, I'll check them out!

Roq

sperry 2004-02-15 16:17

yeah, I kind of figured you couldn't hate all that stuff. ^^

Also, even though their focus is a little more on the mechs than some of the others I mentioned, you also might want to try the Gundam series. It's true that people think of the mechs when they think of Gundam, but for the most part, they have good war-time stories, and what happens to the people caught in the middle.

Basically, if you want good stories, go for the UC Gundam series. This includes(In chronological order): Mobile Suit Gundam(You should start Gundam with this one, as it's the first), The 08th MS Team, 0080, 0083, Z, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, F91, and Victory Gundam. The other series I haven't mentioned are generally more about the robots, except for possibly Seed.