AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What to get a girl for her birthday? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=69302)

poopsicle 2008-07-27 13:15

What to get a girl for her birthday?

Well, we're going into grade 12 and it's close to my friends birthday. She's a girl and I'm a guy xD. So, what I thought of getting her as a birthday present was a medium sized stuffed Winnie the Pooh bear :D for $40 from "One's Better Living". I think getting her the bear would surprise her but I'm not sure in what way lol. She could think that it's childish and she's too old for it :( which could be pretty embarrasing for me and her lol. But if she likes it everything will be fine :D!! I'm not too sure though :(.

What do you guys think I should get for her?
And is the winnie the pooh present a lame idea :(?
Also, what would you get for a girl on her 16th-18th birthday?
Please, make it something appropriate :P.

Daniel E. 2008-07-27 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopsicle (Post 1760145)

Of course not. I gave a stuffed Scooby Doo (small size) to a girl I know on her 20th birthday and she loved it. :)

Of course, I have known her since we were kids, and also knew how much of a fan of the cartoon she is, so I wasn't taking any chances there. :p :p

klowny 2008-07-27 13:36

you can give her the present that will make her feel good (lol) or can be cheap like me and get her a birthday card with a talking bear that say's happy birthday on the cover :D

and me i would give a girl ...explicit and a card from hallmark

saphyre 2008-07-27 13:47

Pajamas maybe?

Miko Miko 2008-07-27 13:52

Bath bombs and Soaps and stuff :)

-KarumA- 2008-07-27 14:07

it all depends on the girl really XD
you got girls who love plushies etc. though not every year ofc not and you have girls who like things that are usefull and that you actually use on a daily basis, like a good book or like someone said before PJ's
I wouldn't mind a plush but my need for household items is greater, but then again I'm a student and my situation is different

Faeyice 2008-07-27 15:40

It pretty much depends on the person's interests and dislikes.

If you know the person likes Winnie the Pooh (Uh.... What the heck?), then buy it.

If you have no clue, stay away from things that are meant for a rather young genre, such as toddlers.

If you have no idea what to get the person, you could ask if they'd like a specific item for their birthday.

Mystique 2008-07-27 15:59

i dunno what 12th grade is, but since you said 16-18. umm... hmm...

General advice on what gifts to give girls (who aren't brand obsessed, shallow or materialistic) :p
is something that you've heard them talk about.
(proves you were really listening to what we say, lol)

Things she likes is easy enough to know, if you're good friends, but see if there's a certain item that she's talked about recently, or would like to buy (but can't afford it)
Or you can ask her hypothetical questions, for example:

'If money wasn't a question, what 3 things would you like from this anime show?' it has to be something really expsensive, something medium and something reasonably cheap.'
If you can kinda throw that into converstion without seemly blantently obvious (like you give your examples first then ask her so it seems like a natural progression)
she may not suspect that you're up to something and you can get that present.

Or as i said above, if you're lucky and she's already ranting on about something she really wants, if you can afford it (do not get a loan, guys, please don't, lol)
then get that :)

Gifts can cost virtually nothing, if you wanted to hand make something or visit a craft store and be a little creative.
If it relates to the girl in some personal way, she'll like it.

Good luck with that anyways ^^

Reckoner 2008-07-27 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystique (Post 1760415)
i dunno what 12th grade is, but since you said 16-18. umm... hmm...

I guess since you live in Britain you do not know about the school system in the U.S.

Here we have kindergarten and grades 1-12. Grade twelve is the last year of school for people here. Elementary school is kindergarten through 5th grade. Middle is 5th through 8th. Highschool is grades 9-12.

On the topic at hand though....

It really depends on her personality. Most "nice" girls would like a gift like that. If they are the stereotypical bitchy cheerleader type though, you probably would not to give it to her.

ApostleOfGod 2008-07-27 17:53

If you're really mature and you're tight enough to be not uncomfortable about most subject matter, girls are really into comfortable bras (expensive, but it works towards pleasing your women). No pun intended on the pleasing...

aahhsin 2008-07-27 18:57

A date with you.

Kakashi 2008-07-27 19:27

Why a free membership to Animesuki Forums of course. That's what I gave my girlfriend. http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...f?t=1217204743

Ronin Aquila 2008-07-27 20:16

A baby Donald Duck plushie!! :)

blue skies 2008-07-27 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod (Post 1760633)
If you're really mature and you're tight enough to be not uncomfortable about most subject matter, girls are really into comfortable bras (expensive, but it works towards pleasing your women). No pun intended on the pleasing...

lmao, this is so true. But since she's younger and you're probably not quite that close, you might not want to go there.

Really, it kind of depends on the girl you're buying for. If she's into the cute cuddly fuzzy stuffed animal thing, go for it. DVDs always make nice gifts, especially if you know what she likes. If she has an iPod or something you could get her one of those things that let you play it in the car (don't remember what they're called) or speakers so she can play it anywhere. That may be a little pricey, though. I have a friend who decorated a picture frame and put in a picture of us and gave it to me for my birthday--I thought it was one of the sweetest things anyone's ever given me. So you could do something really thoughtful like that. You also can't go wrong with chocolate (but make sure it's not the cheap kind xD), and gift sets of lotions and other assorted fun stuff is great too.

Or if all else fails, go the gift card route. :)

Supah Em 2008-07-27 22:16

if she's a book reader then try introducing her to the world of light novels..

worked wonders for me :)

Highman 2008-07-27 22:20

Just flowers

ApostleOfGod 2008-07-27 22:21

Treat her out to McDonalds.

No, seriously, flowers would work.

Miu Miu 2008-07-27 22:45

lol u soo like her

i reckon perfume is nice

Anna Sui Dolly Girl Bonjour L'Amour Eau de Toilette Spray

Anna Sui Flight of Fancy

Marc Jacobs Daisy

Vexx 2008-07-28 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopsicle (Post 1760145)
Well, we're going into grade 12 and it's close to my friends birthday. She's a girl and I'm a guy xD. So, what I thought of getting her as a birthday present was a medium sized stuffed Winnie the Pooh bear :D for $40 from "One's Better Living". I think getting her the bear would surprise her but I'm not sure in what way lol. She could think that it's childish and she's too old for it :( which could be pretty embarrasing for me and her lol. But if she likes it everything will be fine :D!! I'm not too sure though :(.

What do you guys think I should get for her?
Also, what would you get for a girl on her 16th-18th birthday?
Please, make it something appropriate :P.

Get her something she likes????? (even if its a bit childish).
What are her hobbies or interests?

If she likes Pooh and quotes from the Pooh stories -- then a Pooh bear makes good sense.

My wife likes - cute gothy things, Hitchhiker's Guide, Star Trek, knitting, tabletop games, having things done that need doing as a surprise, certain book authors, etc.

This girl should have some interests and something she doesn't have.... I often think a cherished useful item related to a pastime or hobby sends a much clearer message than some frou-frou doodad. It tells her you're paying attention to what *SHE* likes to do.

Abashi 2008-07-28 00:17

Give her an anime that was intended for girls, we need to build our base. ;)