AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Black Joke (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=117289)

marvelB 2013-01-11 21:17

Black Joke

This series is awesome.

As some around already know by now, I tend to favor crazy, over-the-top manga, and Black Joke is no exception. Basically, it's about this one yakuza gang and their battles with other mafia groups on the fictional Neon island (which is apparently the 51st state of the USA despite being in Japan..... yeah). I've gotta say that I am LOVING this series' cast. I especially find myself fond of that lovable gorilla-man Kodama and Runover, the Italian mob boss who has a freaking WHEELCHAIR OF DOOM:

BTW, if the art style looks familiar to anyone it's because it's drawn by the same guy who did the manga adaption of Battle Royale (though I personally prefer THIS series more). Right now the translations are up to the first chapter of volume 2, but there's 7 volumes out altogether. I hope we get caught up soon....

Xion Valkyrie 2013-01-12 18:52

The art really adds to the ridiculousness of the killings. His artstyle makes more sense for older characters anyways (the characters in Battle Royale look way too old to be high schoolers).

It looks like we might be moving into longer arcs now that the basic setting and characters have been established.

blackwhite67 2013-01-12 20:19

The art style gives me the impression that humans are made of puddy or something really fragile.

Bern-san 2013-01-13 11:30

Glad to see there's people reading this manga here!
Runover is so awesome. I haven't seen a manga character on a wheelchair like him (at least that I remember), especially in the chapter where Kira had to be with him:heh:
I also like Akari, we needed a badass female and she perfectly fits the role.

Is it ongoing on Japan or did it finish?

marvelB 2013-01-13 16:54

^As far as I know it's still running, but the translations are nowhere near caught up yet (like I said in the first post, they just started on the second volume while there's currently 7 out in Japan now). But it was only just recently that this series started getting translated, so maybe it won't be too long before we're caught up after all.

Anyways, as fun as those Runover chapters were, my favorite chapter by far was 5 (the one with the dirty cop). Kodama was great in that one ("Hey, he reminds me of somethin'..... Ooh, I know! A TURTLE!). And yeah, Akari is great, too. Normally I'm indifferent to those "goth-loli" types, but she's cool. It also helps that she doesn't look like she's 10 years old. :rolleyes:

Mars Mode 2013-01-13 17:34

Kodama has great instincts, and when he started, hey he reminds me of something, and he really starts to think about it. :D

And Akari being mesmerised by his method of killing. Pure win.

Bern-san 2013-01-17 13:19

Chapter 8 is translated, I couldn't stop laughing during the first part of the chapter:D

Spoiler for 8:

marvelB 2013-01-17 18:37

Yeah, chapter 8 was cool:

Spoiler for ch. 8:

marvelB 2013-01-29 20:04

Translated chapter 9 is out! :D

And all I gotta say is that I'm with Kira in feeling bad for poor ol' Johnny. :p

Bern-san 2013-01-31 06:30

The end was unexpected, I wonder if we're going to see them again in the future.

Kodama was cool during the chapter.

Bern-san 2013-02-04 11:39

Chapter 10 out! This is getting fast releases:D
I really liked this new chapter.

Spoiler for 10:

marvelB 2013-02-04 16:07

Holy crap, this is easily my top favorite chapter by far! We get to learn about Kodama's background, get introduced to his family (I REALLY hope we get to see his mama kick some ass at some point :D), and I found it highly amusing to see Akari being such a killjoy. God, why isn't this series getting enough love!? This almost feels like the Kongou Banchou thread all over again..... :(

BTW, speaking of the Akari scene, that reminded me of the gag from the first chapter where Kira ran over those gay Thai dudes that Kodama was about to take on. I guess getting cheated out of a good fight is gonna become his main running gag, huh? :p

Darth SpiderDen 2013-02-04 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4540959)
Holy crap, this is easily my top favorite chapter by far! We get to learn about Kodama's background, get introduced to his family (I REALLY hope we get to see his mama kick some ass at some point :D), and I found it highly amusing to see Akari being such a killjoy. God, why isn't this series getting enough love!? This almost feels like the Kongou Banchou thread all over again..... :(

BTW, speaking of the Akari scene, that reminded me of the gag from the first chapter where Kira ran over those gay Thai dudes that Kodama was about to take on. I guess getting cheated out of a good fight is gonna become his main running gag, huh? :p

I laughed so hard when I saw those gay thai dudes get runned over by the car since in one panel they were getting ready to fight and the next we get a spread of them getting hit bad by a car. I almost feel of my chair with that scene.

marvelB 2013-02-08 14:11

Chapter 11 is out now!

Holy crap.... we actually see Kodama lose a fight for once. I'm real interested in seeing how he's gonna handle this. And hurrah for the return of Runover! :D

Bern-san 2013-02-11 15:25

Kodama sure is pissed. That woman was a fool to make a bet with Runover, I can already picture her with her legs broken or directly without them:heh:

marvelB 2013-02-15 18:04

And now chapter 12 is here!

And all I can say about it now is..... Goddamn...... :twitch:

Mars Mode 2013-02-15 19:50

Jajaja Kodama is amazing, after a fight he figured a way to fight and mentally prepared himself to handle what his opponent throws at him.

And Kira quickly figuring out they are screwed.

But the smile of Kodama takes the cake.

Xion Valkyrie 2013-02-15 22:12

The chair stuff is just amazing... His proportions make him look like a human Gundam.

marvelB 2013-02-16 18:15

BTW, I also like how that dude Kodama fought looks like Street Fighter's Guile if he were a hardcore roid junkie. :p

Bern-san 2013-02-17 09:12

Wow, things are getting interesting and Kodama is such a beast.
I want to see Runover's reaction already:heh:
Not gonna comment on the first pages...