AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Erementar Gerad (Elemental Gelade) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=43890)

Keirn 2007-03-05 22:13

Erementar Gerad (Elemental Gelade)

Well, first I watched the anime and it was really good so I decided to buy the manga when I saw it in Chapters (thats Canada's large bookstore chain). But after buying it, I have a few questions.

I read the Wikipedia article on it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erementar_Gerad) and it says that the manga is still being published? so....is the manga still new and the anime was done first?

And if you scroll down, it shows cover pictures that look way different then mine even though its of volume one and I bought volume one.. Why is this? (the red cover is WAY cooler looking than the cover I got)

And lastly, which IS the proper name? Erementar Gerad or Elemental Gelade? Mine says "Elemental Gelade" but the pictures on wikipedia say "Erementar Gerad"

Btw, this is the first manga I've ever bought so sorry if my first 2 questions have obvious (to you guys) answers.

Thanks in advance :D

Freeter 2007-03-05 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keirn (Post 853227)
is the manga still new and the anime was done first?

I think the manga's still in serialization. The last chapter I read involved Viro.

Quote:

And if you scroll down, it shows cover pictures that look way different then mine even though its of volume one and I bought volume one.. Why is this? (the red cover is WAY cooler looking than the cover I got)
Those are the original Japanese versions. Blame Tokyopop for being cheap in the cover dept. :heh:

Quote:

And lastly, which IS the proper name? Erementar Gerad or Elemental Gelade?
The latter, since "erementar" is poor romanization.

sparkling invalides 2007-03-05 22:37

Hi,
Never read this manga but I think the cover difference is due to different versions published in Japan and overseas. It's very common that oversea version may have a different cover than Japanese ones, and that very cool red cover is in Japanese. I noticed for myself the manga Angel Sanctuary has a completely different cover in English too.

If you read the wikipedia page carefully, there is a section below: "Different Translations", which explains the title name and I quote:

"The title, which, at first, was officially transcribed as Erementar Gerad which was later changed to Elemental Gelade"

There are a couple more translation differences below which I believe will clear your further doubt when you read through the volume.

Again if you read the wikipedia, it says only two volumes are released in North America and the third is about to be on Mar 13, 2007.

Please tell us how you like the manga next time, by the way, I live in Canada too.

-- Freeter, you are quicker than me...

Keirn 2007-03-05 22:52

Thanks for the fast replies :D

I love the manga. The fight scenes aren't as cool of course because fight scenes when animated are much more intense. Most of the characters look the same except for Kuea, which looks way cooler in the manga (shes got more chains on her) also the meeting between Ren and Coud is a bit different. The manga in general is A LOT funnier than the anime, and I personally prefer it over the anime.

(and btw, Yay for Canada! hehe)

asaqe 2007-11-05 17:10

Bumping this, and you forgot about how much ecchier the manga is compared to the anime (a lot ecchier and Coud is one of the few guys in shonen who's hormones are operating properly.)

Fruitfly 2007-11-06 21:42

I started reading the manga after watching the anime some months ago and I'm surprised to find out how toned down the anime was. Practically every scene was altered in some way (in a bad way).

ser4 2007-11-06 23:59

is the manga still ongoing cuz the anime finished long time ago? and if it is are they cashing up to the anime or is it different or as is many times the case the animators made up an ending

coren 2007-11-07 00:07

As far as I know it's still ongoing. The manga is considerably different from the anime. It's far more focussed on comedy and the story is different in many ways.

Fruitfly 2007-11-07 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ser4 (Post 1242520)
is the manga still ongoing cuz the anime finished long time ago? and if it is are they cashing up to the anime or is it different or as is many times the case the animators made up an ending

Yes the anime has its own ending. Chaos Choir doesn't exist in the manga.

Blackkaida 2007-11-08 13:41

Stick with the manga.I found the anime to be a bit disappointing after reading the books but i guess i could say that about alot of anime/manga series.

UPR 2007-11-08 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackkaida (Post 1244816)
Stick with the manga.I found the anime to be a bit disappointing after reading the books but i guess i could say that about alot of anime/manga series.

You should know the manga was created because the anime was made. Not the other way around.

ser4 2007-11-08 14:43

that is not very unusual. Isn't it the other way around ..usually

UPR 2007-11-08 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ser4 (Post 1244876)
that is not very unusual. Isn't it the other way around ..usually

It is. But the anime was totally a original work, not based on anything.

Fruitfly 2007-11-08 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPR (Post 1244918)

The manga started in 2002. The anime started and finished in 2005.
From what I read, the anime started around the time Viro was introduced in the manga so her role completely different.

coren 2007-11-08 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruitfly (Post 1245030)
The manga started in 2002. The anime started and finished in 2005.
From what I read, the anime started around the time Viro was introduced in the manga so her role completely different.

Yeah the manga was at around volume 8 when the anime came out.

[DOT].L 2007-11-08 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPR (Post 1244918)

The anime is based off of the earlier volumes of the manga, albeit with some original material added. The anime ending is completely original work, however, with no relation to the manga.

The Elemental Gelade manga (red) is still on-going, as is Elemental Gelade: Flag of the Blue Sky (blue). It's been speculated that EG Blue proceeds parallel to the events of EG Red, and with the release of EG Blue volume 4, that theory has been confirmed. Whereas Red focuses on Cou, Ren, Cisqua and co., the Blue story stars Melfondo (cisqua's sister), Wolx, and Acheaburca Fuajarl, the princess of the kingdom of Fuajarl.

Xellos-_^ 2009-07-10 18:51

*cast resurrection

okay i just finish vol16 of this manga. wow so much better then the anime. love the Ren sd form.

Sin Ansem 2009-07-10 18:58

I didn't know EG had pokeymanz editions

Where's the blue version? I've only seen red.

Xellos-_^ 2009-07-10 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin Ansem (Post 2506667)
I didn't know EG had pokeymanz editions

Where's the blue version? I've only seen red.

MH has 4 chpters and i seen the chinese scan upto vol5.

coren 2009-07-11 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ (Post 2506655)
*cast resurrection

okay i just finish vol16 of this manga. wow so much better then the anime. love the Ren sd form.

I also really like this manga, though I prefer when it is more on the comedic side than serious stuff. The chibi forms are pretty funny.