AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Hyouka (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Hyouka - Episode 12 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113207)

Kairin 2012-07-07 23:36

Hyouka - Episode 12 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hyouka, Episode 12.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

tsunade666 2012-07-08 13:50

Good Normal Episode. Something with different events where Chi-chan ended up joining. (she looks like Mio on that photo-shoot) Satoshi enjoying the play at the stage (I didn't watch Hyouka to see niga doing their niga dance) Mayaka having problem with manga club or rather her cosplay <_< is something I'm not familiar with and Hotarou enjoying his free time in the club room.

Question. That song that Chitanda listening. I know I know that song but that's supposedly an English so I'm not sure. But that rhythm is pretty familiar to me. What song is it?

RainbowMagnet 2012-07-08 13:57

Sigh, Chitanda has the attention span of a fifth grader. Lots of people are probably going to find that cute, but she's just annoying me so much right now. Other than that I enjoyed the episode. Felt kind of bad for Mayaka when the other cosplayers were mocking her. Looking forward to see what the conflict is going to be about. I’m pretty sure the incident with the apple juice has something to do with it.

nil 2012-07-08 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsunade666 (Post 4244777)
Question. That song that Chitanda listening. I know I know that song but that's supposedly an English so I'm not sure. But that rhythm is pretty familiar to me. What song is it?

That is "Ue O Muite Arukou" a.k.a. "Sukiyaki.".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK9CXWKwAn8

margafred 2012-07-08 14:16

Spoiler for Episode 12 of Hyouka:

FredFriendly 2012-07-08 18:56

Well, since I watched the raw and didn't understand a word of it, the only thing I've really got to say is that, since she has now appeared faceless in two episodes, what Mr. Grumpy's sister looks like is probably going to be the big mystery of this whole anime. Reminds me of another brown-haired girl in an anime about bento wars. We never did get to see her face, either. How annoying.

Otherwise, the best part of the episode was the brief, 15 seconds that we get to see Chitanda cosplaying.

FlareKnight 2012-07-08 19:13

Kind of funny that after everything that happened in 11, Houtarou's sister just pops into things at the start of this one. Seems like she lives to troll Houtarou or at least help drag him into problems. Though it's just crazy how a pen she throws at him will help lead into a troublesome situation. Genius or not she isn't psychic....I think.

Rough episode for Mayaka. Clearly some issues going on within the manga club. Seems like a large amount of jerks in there. Can only guess, but seems Mayaka wasn't huge on the cosplay and somehow got forced into going along with it in the end. But even after doing it in the end have some outright ostracizing her. Club president doesn't seem like a bad person, though maybe a bit aloof and not realizing the issues within her own club.

Satoshi....I've got nothing. After those brief glimpses of something deeper he dresses up in a stupid costume and plants himself in the main hall just watching shows. Well at least he'll be entertained.

Houtarou scored his dream job :). Most exciting thing that happened to him was the fashion club guy stopping by and brushing shoulders with Chitanda when looking at the pamphlet.

Chitanda...went on a wild journey. Just kept getting roped into things. Though at least she was fighting with herself to not stop everywhere. Besides if she couldn't fight it we wouldn't have gotten to see the cosplay from Chitanda :D.

Have to say the new ED is nice. The old one was also good, but a bit more comedy in this one. Definitely going ahead and saying "ok here are the pairings." Have to say though that escaping from handcuffs sounds like way too much work for Houtarou to actually do it :).

Bit of a slow episode in some ways, but expected a lull after the intense emotions from last time.

Gundamx 2012-07-08 19:54

His sister return in episode 11.5.

FredFriendly 2012-07-08 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlareKnight (Post 4245151)
Kind of funny that after everything that happened in 11, Houtarou's sister just pops into things at the start of this one. Seems like she lives to troll Houtarou or at least help drag him into problems. Though it's just crazy how a pen she throws at him will help lead into a troublesome situation. Genius or not she isn't psychic....I think.

This is her second appearance as an annoying faceless entity. Her first is in the yet unsubbed episode 11.5 (or Hyouka Special 1).

I also wonder if that pen will lead to anything significant. It reminded me of the final episode of Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, especially since the next episode is titled A Corpse by Evening.

I thought my esteem for Mr. Grumpy had dropped pretty low after viewing episode 11.5, but this episode has lowered it even further. It doesn't seem that he's learned anything from tangling with Irisu in the last arc. He's back to being his usual, self-important, dull, boring slug.

Speaking of Irisu, Hooray! She wasn't mentioned once, or seen this entire episode. Hopefully that's a sign that we've seen the last of her.

Chitanda, well, some may find her inability to focus in this episode as annoying, but I just feel sympathy for her. She's like a 5-year old at Disneyland for the first time, and is perpetually bewildered by all the sights and sounds around her. Gosh, even I feel that way if I've been in the grocery store too long. Perhaps she has a mild form of autism, which might also explain her intense curiosity for things she doesn't understand.

Mayaka continues to appeal to me more and more. Unlike Chitanda, who is treated more like a fluffy bunny, Mayaka gets some real character treatment, and shows a broader range of emotions. She looks like she might even take on the whole Manga Club in the next episode.

ThereminVox 2012-07-08 20:25

"Ouch! My Saturn!" Oh Satoshi. Never change.

Hotarou has finally discovered his true calling: Minding an empty store. It's kind of a shame, though. Had he gone along with Chitanda, not only would he have had the chance to enjoy something of a date with her, he might also have discovered the perfect Christmas present to get her: HORSE BLINDERS.

We're being teased so badly by whatever is eating at Mayaka. I've been itching for her and Satoshi to come further into focus, and I may be getting my wish. I knew I recognized her costume, but until they actually name-dropped They Were Eleven, I couldn't place it, even when she named the character. She's a fan of the deep cuts, and quite the devotee of mystery stories.

I wonder who is getting the makeover. :heh:

blakstealth 2012-07-08 21:06

I enjoyed the shiet outta ep12. Everything was just so lively and fun. I especially loved Chitanda's little adventure with all the interesting things going on. Gotta hand it to KyoAni for keeping the quality, especially for that dance number, good throughout the series.

broken270 2012-07-08 21:38

Spoiler:

Edge Meltdown 2012-07-08 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by broken270 (Post 4245391)
Spoiler:

I believe it's nakoruru from Samurai Showdown.

broken270 2012-07-08 22:11

^Thanks for telling me that.

Also, with that punk-looking guy trading a make-over badge for a pen Tomoe gave him (hidden plot device?), I'm expecting more people like that to trade with Houtarou along with buying Hyouka.

SRanger 2012-07-08 22:21

wonder what's up with Mayaka, is she just sad because she's blaming herself for ordering too many Hyouka copies?

Also, I googled who she's cosplaying as..they look nothing alike..

Also curious why Mayaka was so scared of Satoshi saying "cosplay". She's in the manga society, why hide your power level now?

Calca 2012-07-08 22:29

Heh look how annoyed Hotarou looks in that wanted poster

FlareKnight 2012-07-08 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredFriendly (Post 4245247)
I thought my esteem for Mr. Grumpy had dropped pretty low after viewing episode 11.5, but this episode has lowered it even further. It doesn't seem that he's learned anything from tangling with Irisu in the last arc. He's back to being his usual, self-important, dull, boring slug.

Should Houtarou's behaviour here really be a surprise. It was entirely probably that he'd suffer a regression after what happened with Irisu. Rather than not learning anything, he's learned that his old way was far safer. He got carried away and it let him be manipulated. At least minding an empty booth will in theory prevent him from getting hurt again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRanger (Post 4245468)
wonder what's up with Mayaka, is she just sad because she's blaming herself for ordering too many Hyouka copies?

Also, I googled who she's cosplaying as..they look nothing alike..

Also curious why Mayaka was so scared of Satoshi saying "cosplay". She's in the manga society, why hide your power level now?

Well I'm sure the copies of Hyouka is bothering her, but it seems like the issues within the manga society is what's really bothering her.

I don't see what's wrong with Mayaka having issues with cosplay. Just because someone likes anime and manga doesn't mean they want to dress up as a character. She probably joined the club to talk about the series she liked and read them. It's not the cosplay club after all.

Calca 2012-07-08 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlareKnight (Post 4245492)
Should Houtarou's behaviour here really be a surprise. It was entirely probably that he'd suffer a regression after what happened with Irisu. Rather than not learning anything, he's learned that his old way was far safer. He got carried away and it let him be manipulated. At least minding an empty booth will in theory prevent him from getting hurt again.

Well I'm sure the copies of Hyouka is bothering her, but it seems like the issues within the manga society is what's really bothering her.

I don't see what's wrong with Mayaka having issues with cosplay. Just because someone likes anime and manga doesn't mean they want to dress up as a character. She probably joined the club to talk about the series she liked and read them. It's not the cosplay club after all.

That's probably why Oreki told her to act normal because he knew Chitanda would get curious. Whatever it is it's something Oreki knows about but they don't want Chitanda to find out about.

GMT 2012-07-08 23:20

In this episode of Hyouka:

Chuck Norris Tomoei gives Houtarou a pen! A broken pen! A broken but, fabulous pen!

Mayaka does cosplay! And has a mysterious illness!

Chitanda prays for the success of the cultural festival.

Satoshi and his collection of simply . . . fabulous handbags. Poor Mayaka, you'd have better luck with Satoshi if you were . . . Oreki. Although, he and Mayaka seem to share common interests, at least in reading materials.

The Classics Club has a problem. They ordered almost seven times more copies of their anthology than they actually needed (and over sixteen times as many anthologies as Oreki thinks they'll sell.) It's going to take a heroic effort of salesmanship by the most charismatic salesperson there ever was to do. Unfortunately, they've got Houtarou Oreki ... who cleverly puts himself into the position of storekeeper anyway.

Afterwards, it's the opening ceremony, and the start of the second hardest mission Chitanda Eru has ever faced in her young life ... making it to the Student Council to ask for better booth space. It's a mission she sucks at, since she arrives during the Kanya Fest of the year 2112. She also sucks at negotiating, much to the bemusement of the Student Council President . . . who pretty much spoon-feeds her the entire negotiating process. And, thus, starts the hardest mission of Chitanda Eru's life . . . making it back to the clubroom.

We learn a little about the Manga Society (mostly that some of the members are kinda catty.) Azu-nyan asks Mayaka who she's cosplaying as, and their booth opens for business.

Then we cut back to Houtarou, after his visit to the chiropractor, which he needed after pulling a muscle patting himself on the back so hard. Against all odds, he manages to sell an anthology, and trades his fabulous broken pen for a fashion club backstage pass.

Afterwards, some more proof that Chitanda has all the attention-span of a ferret . . . OOOH SHINY!

And the new ED . . . was nice. I'll give the new ED song some time to grow on me.

I'll take six pictures of Chitanda doing meido out of ten.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredFriendly

In Episode 11.5, Emo McMopeypants' friends tell him they actually like him for what he is. At least, they like him better than the monosyllabic recluse that tangling with Irisu had reduced him to.

Pen3 2012-07-08 23:27

Chitanda is really getting more and more annoying every episode. On the other hand there is more Tomoe screen time so i am happy.