AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Story-driven action fantasy/sci-fi adventure with intelligent male lead? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=93854)

Shinrisen 2010-05-15 22:33

Story-driven action fantasy/sci-fi adventure with intelligent male lead?

... who is also trained in the arts of abusing his opponents on a physical/mental level? My favorite animes are:

Ergo Proxy (sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, philosophical yada-yada... prob my favorite series ever
Texhnolyze (sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, philosophical yada-yada.. one of the best)
Full Metal Panic (mostly because of the male lead, even liked Fumoffo and 2nd raid)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (I liked the depressive, post-apocalyptic philosophical yada-yada)
Wolfs Rain (just finished watching this... really liked the mood, the setting, the whole apocalyptic stuff going on and the characters)
Gantz (because of the video-game reference, the unique main character and ofcourse the bloood!)
Blood + - (one of the very few anime's with female leads that I really enjoyed. Probably because of the vampire stuff)

Could anyone recommend me some recent (or less recent) stuff that I might like? I also prefer long series over short. OVA's and movies are too short generally.

Cynor 2010-05-15 22:56

If you haven't seen it... Code Geass. Go get it now and don't look back at this thread until you've watched it all.

Seriously.

Not only is it that good a series (still ranks up there as a fav for me) it should easily fit everything you're looking for as it has a good story which drives the chars, fantasy-ish/sci-fi feel (mechs and advanced technology, but also mixed in with a kingdom and king and knights and princes and such), and the lead is certainly very smart and loves playing mind games on his enemies. With 2 seasons each lasting around 24 eps, it also should fit into the "longer series" portion of what you want too.

Kotohono 2010-05-15 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynor (Post 3049911)
If you haven't seen it... Code Geass. Go get it now and don't look back at this thread until you've watched it all.

Seriously.

Not only is it that good a series (still ranks up there as a fav for me) it should easily fit everything you're looking for as it has a good story which drives the chars, fantasy-ish/sci-fi feel (mechs and advanced technology, but also mixed in with a kingdom and king and knights and princes and such), and the lead is certainly very smart and loves playing mind games on his enemies. With 2 seasons each lasting around 24 eps, it also should fit into the "longer series" portion of what you want too.

I'll second Code Geass, also maybe Darker than Black, and the second season of it?

barcode120x 2010-05-15 23:25

I too will 2nd Code Geass as well as Darker Than Black + 2nd season.

Maybe Samurai 7? It sort of fits your description, has samurai-mechs, a bit sci-fi IMO but with samurais and a decent story line.

CeDeR 2010-05-15 23:38

Now and Then, Here and There, Gilgamesh, Pale Cocoon
Code geass is overrated imo.

jedinat 2010-05-15 23:48

Hellsing is an obvious pick, but you've probably seen it...

barcode120x 2010-05-16 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeDeR (Post 3049960)
Code geass is overrated imo.

That's just like me saying Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu is overrated. :/

Haak 2010-05-16 04:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scanner (Post 3050052)
That's just like me saying Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu is overrated. :/

What's wrong with saying that? I personally think both shows are overrated.

I recommend Paranoia Agent and Ghost in a Shell and I'll second Now and Then, Here and There.

[edit]

@ Konakaga below me: Oops, forgot about that.

Kotohono 2010-05-16 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haak (Post 3050170)
and Ghost in a Shell and.

EH, I would have already recommended that; however he specifically asked for "Intelligent male lead", while it was more heavily focused on the female lead, and none of the male characters had enough time to be called the lead one.
If he can overlook that fact then would be something good to watch.

signorRossi 2010-05-16 15:40

The 'Mayor' doesn't act ladylike anyway... :D

Shiroth 2010-05-16 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konakaga (Post 3050606)
EH, I would have already recommended that; however he specifically asked for "Intelligent male lead", while it was more heavily focused on the female lead, and none of the male characters had enough time to be called the lead one.

The Major could pretty much be classed as a male lead. :p

Cynor 2010-05-16 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haak (Post 3050170)
What's wrong with saying that? I personally think both shows are overrated.

While I don't think either are overrated, I also don't see the problem with saying that. Not everyone is going to like a show, and when a show gets as much hype and people liking it as those two, someone who doesn't like it has every right to say it's overrated.

Edit: Also, on the subject of Hellsing, I'm not sure I fully agree with that. While it does fit a bit, there are some problems too. The first anime series is only 13 eps long, and was so-so iirc (been forever since I watched it). It also didn't really follow the manga that much, which while a lot of anime series don't, the manga would likely be a perfect fit. The second anime series of Hellsing (which was linked) still isn't finished yet, and it's being done OVA style with only like 2 50-ish minute episodes per yet. I think they're only up to like 6 or 7 released, which is pretty much the same as a 13 episode series. So we run into a problem there with him wanting longer series, plus with it not being finished and a slow release schedule it may not be the best.

Sackett 2010-05-16 20:00

You might try Crest of the Stars

ZeroSama 2010-05-18 05:04

Death Note(Super smart protaganist and antagonists firing off xanatos gambits constantly at one another)

Legend of the Galatic Heroes(pretty much fits your topic title to a T)

Have to recommend Code Geass as well, but i'm a fanboy, so sue me. Might not be to your tastes but atleast give the first few eps a try.

Pooba 2010-05-19 02:07

You gotta watch ghost in the shell sac. What a great show. And you should check out Juuousei. It's 11 eps which is short I know but other then that it fits your description well. It's been a long time since i've seen it but i remember enjoying it.

Takano 2010-05-19 03:13

I second Legend of the Galactic Heroes!

Azuma Denton 2010-05-19 04:56

Eden of the East
Durarara!!

Haladflire65 2010-05-19 17:22

Gungrave, it's a nice dark story and the male lead is quite awesome.