AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   One Piece (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   One Piece - Chapter 655 [manga] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=110063)

marvelB 2012-02-01 01:27

One Piece - Chapter 655 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Continuing from last chapter, the Straw-Hats finally reach the New World! What exciting new adventures await them in these new seas? Mr. T gives us a small summary of the latest chapter:

-Chapter title is "Punk Hazard. Ministory features Iceburg.

-Looks like the first NW destination Luffy and co. arrive at is a place called "Punk Hazard", which they arrive at after receiving a distress call. It's a burning-hot island and is apparently inhabited by people being attacked by powerful samurai from the Wano country.

-Meanwhile, we finally get a clearer view of Smoker's post-skip design. His hair is slicked back, he's sporting some new shades, and he now comes equipped with the obligatory facial scar! The VA decides to continue his straw-hat chase at Punk Hazard after wire-tapping their denden mushi call.

- Luffy, Zoro, Usopp, and Robin disembark the Sunny in order to explore their new surroundings. They then have a run-in with a most amazing creature: A talking dragon.....

well now, sounds like quite an interesting start of the NW journey. The part about a talking dragon particularly caught my interest. Could this be a new zoan, or are talking mystical reptiles the norm in these strange seas? Questions, questions.....

And yeah, no surprise about Smoker, I guess. I just hope he improved his fighting style over the skip, because he didn't have a particularly strong (and IMO, interesting) arsenal before then......

SOGESNAKE 2012-02-01 01:58

Wonder if Smoker got his jutte fixed after Marineford, seeing as he seemd pretty good with it. Guess I'll have to wait and check~

Undertaker 2012-02-01 02:23

I'm more interested on how Smoker got the news that SH are now on Punk Hazard that quickly...

SilverSyko 2012-02-01 02:31

So this is gonna be the "Punk Hazard arc" is it? Quite an odd name for an island.

Glad we're jumping right into it though, I dunno if my I could contain my excitement anymore if there was a plot detour. (As nice of a gesture that would be.)

Looking forward to the chapter and seeing these new characters and places.~

game2007 2012-02-01 03:48

For those who can't remember, Wano Country is the country where Ryuma, the samurai zombie from Thriller Bark, comes from. That same Ryuma is also the protagonist of the one-shot Monster Oda made a long time ago. He confirmed it in one of volume 47's SBS that they are the same Ryuma, thus making Monster canon to the One Piece universe.

ronin myael 2012-02-01 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by game2007 (Post 3980121)
For those who can't remember, Wano Country is the country where Ryuma, the samurai zombie from Thriller Bark, comes from. That same Ryuma is also the protagonist of the one-shot Monster Oda made a long time ago. He confirmed it in one of volume 47's SBS that they are the same Ryuma, thus making Monster canon to the One Piece universe.

yeah! i love oda for that! samurai in one piece... awesome! i'm excited about this new arc. :D

Xacual 2012-02-01 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertaker (Post 3979998)
I'm more interested on how Smoker got the news that SH are now on Punk Hazard that quickly...

Seems like he was tapping den den mushi calls so he caught Luffy's replies to the distress call.

Also hell yeah at dragons.

~Yami~ 2012-02-01 08:11

hmm... another mysterious island.... and I love the small team... Robin, Zoro, Luffy, and Usopp...
Robin and Luffy are eating lunch together... xD

samurai and dragon.... wow! ancient enemies in a blazing island with frigid sky...

d' airscapez 2012-02-01 08:16

robin :love:

Qilin 2012-02-01 08:21

If there was any series that could convince me to smoke, it would be One Piece. Smoker's new look is badass.

Oh, man. I figured it was only a matter of time before Oda brought some dragon/s into the picture. Now that I think about it, Samurai Ryuuma for a few arcs back was known to have killed a dragon in the New World.

Could this incident be related?

Whatever the case, I guess we're in for another awesome arc.

Kanon 2012-02-01 08:24

Iceburg's using a ten years old loli as a secretary, the pedo.

That was an amazing chapter. The new world is as messed up as we were told it was. An island that is both blazing hot and icy cold... and where a dragon dwells. PUNK HAZARD DRAGON FOR NEW NAKAMA! (someone had to say it :p ).

Samurais have been hyped up to no end in this chapter. They're presumably so strong even the WG doesn't dare to screw with them. Can't wait until Zoro meets one (well, technically, he already has).

Smoker's new look is very cool. I thought the stories about G-5 marines being vicious beasts were exaggeration, but this chapter confirmed that is clearly not the case. The theory that they're former prisoners seems likely to be true.

yakumo-chan 2012-02-01 08:26

Huh? but didnt they already met a dragon before??? i dont know about the manga before but in the anime I kinda remember they already met a dragon there, or is it a filler?

Xacual 2012-02-01 08:29

I'm enjoying the current 4chan topic. Thing that got brought up there.

Island name "Punk Hazard" and looks like some kind of research facility that had a massive melt down. Vegapunk business?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 3980543)
That was an amazing chapter. The new world is as messed up as we were told it was. An island that is both blazing hot and icy cold... and where a dragon dwells. PUNK HAZARD DRAGON FOR NEW NAKAMA! (someone had to say it :p ).

You know Luffy is going to ask him if he turns out to be relatively friendly, I mean think about what happened with Brook.

marvelB 2012-02-01 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertaker (Post 3979998)

Yeah, as noted before, he had their phone call wired. I just edited my post to lessen confusion. ;)

Anyways, fun chapter. Looks like Robin is going to be more active in this arc (not surprising, since she saw little action at mermaid island), and Usopp's as hilarious as ever with his resurfacing cowardice. I found it particularly interesting that the Wano country is outside of the WG's jurisdiction. And if some of their samurai are currently occupying Punk Hazard then who knows what trouble those guys are brewing.....

And as for the dragon, he certainly does look like a fearsome creature. But will he be friend, or foe? Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if he revealed some goofy quirk(s) about him next chapter! :p

Randrak42 2012-02-01 08:41

Robin! By far the hottest thing in Punk Hazard!

Saturn Beaver 2012-02-01 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakumo-chan (Post 3980549)
Huh? but didnt they already met a dragon before??? i dont know about the manga before but in the anime I kinda remember they already met a dragon there, or is it a filler?

The one with Apis, right? I think that's just filler, I hope it won't clash too badly with proper manga canon. The thing with Ryuuma and the dragon in his story from Monsters is canon though, I remember Oda confirming it in SBS.

And yeah, seconding the Robin love this chapter. Looks like after Nami last week Oda is keeping it fair, there's some shirtless Luffy and Zoro for the MANservice too (with scars as well). This really brings out the adventure vibe, even more than FI - maybe because it's more dangerous? From the burning sea setting, to hyped up Samurai and dragons with Smoker chasing them, it just seems more hostile than some Fishman who are only better due to their underwater advantage.

Kallen4life 2012-02-01 09:38

ROBIIIN-CHWAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she totally stole the chapter .. first feeding Luffy and then this .. [cut]

also Smoker = Croc pimp boss with shades

Eleutheria 2012-02-01 10:01

Even odds it's a mythical zoan...

Jouten 2012-02-01 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kallen4life (Post 3980633)
ROBIIIN-CHWAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she totally stole the chapter .. first feeding Luffy and then this .. http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/59626333/15

also Smoker = Croc pimp boss with shades

Haha yes. I really want to see her in some fighting action already. She usually only fights the fodder. She should get her own enemy already

ronin myael 2012-02-01 10:32

yahoooo samurai in one piece!!!! finally, we'd get to know a little more about them. i've always wondered about ryuuma and his legendary sword shuushui. the samurai buff in me is getting pretty damn excited! then you add the dragons and this mysterious new island, i can't help it. :D

awesome chapter! brooke and usopp made me laugh. looks like usopp hasn't really outgrown his cowardice, huh? :heh: