AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Top 5 Anime Favourites (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=1558)

Russelwhite 2003-11-25 01:48

Top 5 Anime Favourites

Top 5:

1-Cowboy Bebop
(quite simply put, as good as it gets)

2-Haibane Renmei
(This one really surprised me, the overall quality, originality, story was unbeleivable)

3-Last Exile
(Really good anime pretty much for the same reasons as Haibane Renmei, but ended just a little abruptly)

4-Graveyard of the Fireflies
(a real gem, excellent quality, story, and pretty original but it really couldn't draw the viewer in to the same extent as it could have because of time restrictions (something like Haibane Renmei views a little more like a 5-6 hour movie than a series) but still a classic)

5-A tie between:
-Akira
(a classic that helped redefine the genere)
-Metropolis
(just wasn't quite as good as Graveyard of the Fireflies, but still earned a spot)
-Naruto
(a great anime so far that has excellent originality, a solid story, and quality, while avoiding many of the pitfalls of a large series)

Popular anime that were omitted:

-Rourouni Kenshin
(The story really dropped off in the last couple of seasons...It became almost painful to watch near the end, there was really no sense of closure once the series finished either, the OVA's dont count as part of the series)

-Rourouni Kenshin 1st OVA
(very good stuff, close but no cigar)

-Inuyasha
(this one is shaping up to be a more serious version of pokemon, it was good for the first season or 2 but now the storyline is dragging on with no end in sight)

-Trigun
(its good but it didnt really get off the ground story wise until about the 8th or 10th episode)

-Evangelion
(good but not quite good enough)

-ANY GUNDAM you would care to name
(usually these have very good animation quality (especially seed) but the storyline is dragged on for as long as possible and lacks originality)

-Love Hina, Fullmetal Panic+fumofuu
(funny stuff, but the storyline seriously lacked direction)

I've been around for a while but im sure there are a few hidden gems that i'm missing, series/movies that never really hit mainstream but which are nonetheless superb.

What are your top 5?

Darcy White

boneyjellyfish 2003-11-25 01:54

Hey! This is no place for discussing anime! Shoo! Shoo!

kanazuchi 2003-11-25 02:00

In no particlar order

Neon Genesis Evangelion: its used it college level psychology classes to teach lessons.... that says enough right there...

Cowboy bebop: Spike IS the OG.

initial d: personal favorite, I just love the story

Hajime no Ippo: Didn't get to finish it, but one of my all time faves

Rorouni Kenshin: Awesome, until the last saga thing....

Flash_Squirrel 2003-11-25 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanazuchi
In no particlar order

Neon Genesis Evangelion: its used it college level psychology classes to teach lessons.... that says enough right there...

Cowboy bebop: Spike IS the OG.

initial d: personal favorite, I just love the story

Hajime no Ippo: Didn't get to finish it, but one of my all time faves

Rorouni Kenshin: Awesome, until the last saga thing....

Dont feed him please.
Let this thread die.

xris 2003-11-25 06:21

Hmmm, I'm sure a thread of this nature already exists but I can't find it. A cookie for anyone who tells me where it's located if it does.

But anyway, moving the thread into General Anime where is does belong.

monir 2003-11-25 09:57

I will pick some of your omitted animes: Trigun, Evangelion, Kenshin OVA, Hellsing and two movies are Ninja Scroll, and Princess Mononoke..

LuciaMelody 2003-11-25 12:06

U forgot Spirited Away! Flawless animation and story!

Also, I think Utena deserves to be in the list. As the most unique anime.

I would also want to put in Princess Tutu for animation and story - but I havn't finished watching it yet, so it wouldn't be fair...

kj1980 2003-11-25 19:43

I cannot decide, so I will just list the animes that has inspired me for the past twenty years I have been watching anime.

In no particular order (some, i do not know official English title):

Nausicaa Valley of Wind
Laputa Castle in the Sky
Future Boy Conan
Alps no Shoujo Heidi
Dog of Flanders
Kidousenshi Gundam (original 1979 version, and I, II, and III movies)
Uchuu Senkan Yamato (Space Cruiser? sorry, don't know English title)
Galaxy Express 999
Lupin III - The 2nd TV series
Lupin III vs Fukuseiningen
Lupin III Caligostro's Castle
Choujikuu-yousai Macross (including the movie "Ai oboete imasuka")
Kidousenshi Z Gundam
Kidousenshi Gundam ZZ
Kidousenshi Gundam - Char's Counterattack
Kidousenshi Gundam 0083 (including the movie Stardust Memories)
Hotaru no Haka (Graveyard of Fireflies? sorry don't know English title)
Five Star Stories
Haha o tazunete 3000ri
Urusei Yatsura
Maison Ikkoku
Hokuto no Ken
CITY HUNTER
animes made by the late Tezuka Osamu (Ribbon no Kishi, Tetsuwan Atom, etc.)
Ganso, Tensai Bakabon (in many ways a definite Akatsuka Fujio classic)
Doraemon (in many ways, a definite Fujiko F. Fujio classic...I wished he were still alive ToT)
Sazae-san (in many ways, Hasegawa Machiko has lead us Japanese through the years of post-war growth through this national pasttime anime)
Nadia: Secret of Blue Water
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (R,S,SS included, Stars excluded)
Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z (Toriyama Akira had inspired me since Arare-chan, but DB is what defines my early childhood years in the 1980s, moreso as it continued well into the mid 1990s)
Cardcaptor Sakura (in many ways, it was a very moe- anime)
Voices of a Distant Star (Shinkai Makoto is my current favorite director)
AKIRA (it is very sad nowadays we cannot see such a high quality cel-based motion picture anymore)

other animes are very great in their own respective ways. However in a sense how they have affected me in my life for the past twenty years, these animes stand out personally as a vivid memory of my years.

Russelwhite 2003-11-25 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuciaMelody
U forgot Spirited Away! Flawless animation and story!

Also, I think Utena deserves to be in the list. As the most unique anime.

I would also want to put in Princess Tutu for animation and story - but I havn't finished watching it yet, so it wouldn't be fair...

Spirited Away was good but I really didnt feel as drawn in as with something like Grave of the Fireflies, the audience reaction just wasn't there.

Some of the animatrix shorts (the haunted house one especially) were also very nicely done too.

havnt really had a chance to get a hold of Utena or Princess Tutu...I probably should one of these days.

Darcy White

7thMethuselah 2003-11-26 10:13

Love Hina
SaishuuHeiki Kanojo
Rurouni Kenshin OVA Remniscence
Kimi ga nozumu eien
Full Metal Panic

Some that didn't make the list but that I consider very good

Neon Genesis Evangelion (any ending)
Great Teacher Onizuka
Inu Yasha (special) : A fatefull Lovesong Before We Met
Stellvia of the Universe
Full Metal Alchemist

LuciaMelody 2003-11-26 12:23

kj1980 - why did you exclude Starz from Sailor Moon?

SnakeBite 2003-11-26 14:34

Hunter X Hunter

Berserk

Naruto

Trigun

Cowboy Bebop

:)

Nine Devil 2003-11-26 14:45

Hajime no Ippo(Yesterday finished all the episodes except the ova's)

Naruto

DBZ

Getbackers

Mcgreag 2003-11-26 15:54

If you ask the japanese about this you get a slightly different answer. It's from a popular tv-program that asks the japanses to list their top 100 of a number of stuff, this is the anime top 100 from may last year.

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/best100/co...ing/index.html

If you don't read japanese here is the list in english:
1. Doraemon 2. Lupin III 3. Heidi 4. My Neighbour Totoro 5. Sazae-san 6. Chibi Maruko-chan 7. Manga Japanese Fairy Tales 8. Mobile Suit Gundam 9. Nausicca Valley of the Wind 10. Dr Slump Arale-chan 11. Gegege no Kitaro 12. Majyo no Takkyubin 13. A Dog of Flanders 14. Galaxy Express 999 15. Spirited Away 16. Urusei Yatsura 17. Mighty Atom 18. 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother 19. Touch 20. Hakushon Daimaou 21. Moomin 22. Space Cruiser Yamato 23. Candy Candy 24. Obake no Q-tarou 25. Himitsu no Akko-chan 26. Jungle Emperor 27. Crayon Shin-chan 28. Mahoutsukai Sally 29. Kontyuu Monogatari Minashigo Hacchi 30. Ikkyuu-san 31. Dragon Ball 32. Dokonjou Gaeru 33. Ashita no Joe 34. Yattaman 35. Cat's Eye 36. Ninja Hattori-kun 37. Attack No. 1 38. Scientific Ninja Team Gatchaman 39. Tom and Jerry 40. Adventures of Maya the Bee 41. Mononoke Hime 42. Rose of Versailles 43. Soreike! Anpanman 44. Majingaa Z 45. Oishinbo 46. Haikara-san ga Tooru 47. Iron Man 28 48. Future Boy Conan 49. Ace o Nerae 50. Slam Dunk 51. Inakappe Taishou 52. Tensai Bakabon 53. Kyojin No Hoshi 54. City Hunter 55. Laputa 56. Tiger Mask 57. Parman 58. Dokaben 59. Ribbon Knight 60. Devilman 61. Kiteretsu Daihyakka 62. Cyborg 009 63. Youkai Ningen Bemu 64. Chiisana Viking Bikke 65. Majyokko Meg-chan 66. Captain Wing 67. Osomatsu-kun 68. Babiru the Second 69. Mach GoGoGo 70. Yawara! 71. Kinnikuman/Muscleman 72. Fujiko A. Fujio's Warau Salesman 73. Cutey Honey 74. Jarinko Chie 75. Yuuyuu Hakusho 76. Glass Mask 77. Neon Genesis Evangelion 78. Akadou Suzunosuke 79. Asari-chan 80. Shounen Ashibe 81. High School! Kimengumi 82. Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon 83. Fist of the North Star 84. Yu-Gi-Ou 85. Pocket Monsters 86. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer 87. Yuusha Raideen 88. Akira 89. Runrun the Flower Child 90. Tottoko Hamutarou 91. Ojya Majyo Doremi Dokka~n! 92. Eight Man 93. Obocchyama-kun 94. Maison Ikkoku 95. Maicchingu Machiko-sensei 96. Hajime Ningen Giatrus 97. Karimero 98. Rascal Raccoon 99. Ken the Wolf Boy 100. Young Kindaichi's Casebook

The translation is not mine, it's by a Johnny for rec.arts.anime

Looks like kj1980's list was the most accurate.

kj1980 2003-11-26 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcgreag
If you ask the japanese about this you get a slightly different answer. It's from a popular tv-program that asks the japanses to list their top 100 of a number of stuff, this is the anime top 100 from may last year.

eek...I just found out how sad I am by actually KNOWING all those animes.

Youko Recca 2003-11-26 19:32

Cowboy Bebop
GITS:SAC
Hajime No Ippo
Yu Yu Hakusho
Flame of Recca

Kid 2003-11-26 19:37

Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece, Slam Dunk, Cowboy Bebop and Berserk.

All shounen, all good. LOL.

DekaMaster 2003-11-26 20:11

In no order
Saber Marionette J(J To X does not exist in my universe)

Angels Tail

Digimon Zero 2

.Hack Sign

Full Metal Alchemist

Knuckles 2003-11-26 20:50

My top 5 would be :

Evangelion
Rahxephon
Blue Gender
Escaflowne
Crest of the Stars (including Banner of the stars 1 and 2)

hmm, maybe a little pattern here 4 out 5 sci-fi (and even Escaflowne has mecha) :)

Some that almost maid it : Ghost in the shell, Utena, Berserk and Last Exile

Kamui4356 2003-11-26 21:08

my five would be:
1. Nadesico
2. Initial D
3. Scrapped Princess
4. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
5. Lain
Note that these are my five favorite anime, not necessarily the five best. There's way too many anime that I haven't seen for me to even attempt such a list.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingRanger
Saber Marionette J(J To X does not exist in my universe)

J to X doesn't exist for me either. J might not make my top five list, but it's still one of my favorite anime.