AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

darkstrife 2010-04-05 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jestersage (Post 2988535)
Think we will see a Reborns Gundam origin Kit? Or Time to kitbash?

not any time soon i think, they probly gonna milk the 1/100, MG or even PG (i really hope as it would pair nicely with my PG 00)

but eventually it would come out, i'm guessing perhaps sometime next year as we already have the 1 Gundam being released this year

Sir Dearka 2010-04-06 04:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by X207 (Post 2988521)
i also like the color scheme of the gaddessa though its only second to the gaddess. it kight just be because i dont really see any turquoise ms out there so it stands out. the next collor i like is a light green ie gaddessa, i think i'll leave the colours as is. i know aplace where i can probably find a gaddessa on the shelves atm, hopefully it will still be there.

Gaddessa is the suit I bought right away after watching it perform in the movie. The design is so beautiful... If they ever make a MG of it, I would not hesitate.

Quote:

thats a nice present, i wish i had some freinds like that too. none of my friends from previous schools had the much interest in gunpla aside from some liking anime.

That's the very same friend that introduced me to Gundam SEED series, so it was kind of a natural :)

Quote:

they didnt really fully copy the triangle joint on the kit but its moot compared to the absense of a cockpit pod at the top.

Oh, I see it now. But I don't see it here...

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1136/gadessa1uk5.jpg

X207 2010-04-06 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Dearka (Post 2989689)
Gaddessa is the suit I bought right away after watching it perform in the movie. The design is so beautiful... If they ever make a MG of it, I would not hesitate.

That's the very same friend that introduced me to Gundam SEED series, so it was kind of a natural :)

Oh, I see it now. But I don't see it here...

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1136/gadessa1uk5.jpg

the only friend that introuduced me to gundam seed was me, i saw it was playing and gave it a shot. i myself wouldve liked a 1/100 gaddess, so when/if ever a larger scale comes out i'll probably go for it without a second thought. im not the type that goes for MS collections of 1 particular suit much but id only do it for a select suits ie blitz gundam and lunamaria gunner zaku atm and hopefully gaddess.

ive thought of that escape pod sequence also. i guess the back opens up when they hit the eject button and the cockpit slides into places and they get the hell out of the battle zone. might you also have a picture of the gaddess designs as you have with the gaddessa as in your post?

Deliverance 2010-04-06 21:19

Hey everybody, I guess years ago I made account with god knows what email so here is my new account :) Sense the forum was titled Gundam models i saw it appropriate to ask my question here though somebody please re-direct me if I am wrong.

My question has most likely been asked but I wouldn't know what page its on so bare with me.

I am taking up Gundam Models as a hobby, It looks like a lot of fun and a good use of time and brain power, better than other things I must say. Im VERY fortunate that my sister has a great air compressor she is letting me use from her art school days, so I have that, she also bought me my first kit while she was in Japan, a RX-78 1/144 scale HG so I guess what better to start with right, ive searched dauntlessly for painting information but have gotten nowhere. This is probably getting rather long....anyways I will be getting gray and black gundam markers for panel lining, but my question about painting still stands.

Where do i get the correct color scheme i see in my manual for these, i guess I can get it mixed considering my freind who reads japanese translated the combination, but I have seen Mr. Color as well as Gundam paint such as "Gundam Red, and Gundam Blue" however these can't be universal colors, the same blue EVERY gundam that had blue on it. Basically is it really just that simple, i HAVE to mix the paint as it instructs? Or could i use the paint from gundam markers? Im very new to this world but hope to become and expert!! And maybe share my creations and pictures here too. I will be asking more questions later, but for now paints my biggest issue. Please Advise? Thanks everyone, looks like a great site :)

DC23 2010-04-06 22:40

@ Deliverance, I am not sure if this is where this should be discussed bro as i am new here too...in regards to your question in panel lining it is better if you use the wash method. Gundam markers are just too thick ( even the fine one ) for panelling and is difficult to control...as with your painting question, I paint my kits myself, but usually in custom colors. basically you try to mix it as close to the box art...follow the instructions but that that not assure you of the exact results...so basically it's trial and error bro.

BTW, here is my blog...hopefully you could get a few tips here - DC23 mech arts

good day and happy modelling! :D

Like_Clockwork 2010-04-07 01:20

^ dc23 definitely knows what he's talking about. his kits are astonishing. haha but yeah as far as painting goes, just mix colors until its basically right, it's not like everyones gonna hate you if you're colors are slightly off. and washes are far greater than gundan markers and I find it easier than using a pen too. have fun!

GameraBaenre 2010-04-07 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deliverance (Post 2990971)
I am taking up Gundam Models as a hobby, It looks like a lot of fun and a good use of time and brain power, better than other things I must say. Im VERY fortunate that my sister has a great air compressor she is letting me use from her art school days, so I have that, she also bought me my first kit while she was in Japan, a RX-78 1/144 scale HG so I guess what better to start with right, ive searched dauntlessly for painting information but have gotten nowhere. This is probably getting rather long....anyways I will be getting gray and black gundam markers for panel lining, but my question about painting still stands.

Gundam markers are a decent start for panel lining, but personally, I find that the wash method is more cost effective. More information about the wash method is here: http://gamerabaenre.com/panel_line_wash.htm

Quote:

Where do i get the correct color scheme i see in my manual for these, i guess I can get it mixed considering my freind who reads japanese translated the combination, but I have seen Mr. Color as well as Gundam paint such as "Gundam Red, and Gundam Blue" however these can't be universal colors, the same blue EVERY gundam that had blue on it. Basically is it really just that simple, i HAVE to mix the paint as it instructs? Or could i use the paint from gundam markers? Im very new to this world but hope to become and expert!! And maybe share my creations and pictures here too. I will be asking more questions later, but for now paints my biggest issue. Please Advise? Thanks everyone, looks like a great site :)
The colors are mixed using the specific colors and percentages. There are some gundam color kits but the general ones are just generic colors and are not formulated for all kits. In general, the general gundam colors will most likely match up with the standard RX-78 Gundam colors. Gunze Sangyo does make specific pre mixed color sets for specific kits, at least they have done so in the past. So depending on your specific kit, you can probably find the color set for that kit, but it's generally limited to about three colors or so.

Baring that, unless you have an absolute need to match the color according the the guide 100%, your choice is to translate the color guide, get the colors, and mix according to the percentages.

I recommend just getting a bunch of colors you like, and paint the kit how you think it should look. There are a million shades of white, just pick one.

If you want more tips on model building, I have a few tutorials written with pictures for most, and videos for some: http://gamerabaenre.com/toolsandtechs.htm

Otherwise, you can also check out some of the build progress pages I have that detail my builds: http://gamerabaenre.com/in_progress.htm Though some are incomplete, but a good number are start to finish. Hopefully it'll help you out a bit and give you some ideas and further welcome you into the hobby.

JC... 2010-04-07 02:30

Does anyone use the gamesworkshop paint gun (whatever it's called) I don't know wether I should buy it or not, it seems decent value, I'd have to buy the gas, are spray cans good, a ny problems with them?

DC23 2010-04-07 03:00

Not sure with the gun...but there paints are really good! :D

Deliverance 2010-04-07 03:00

Thanks very much on the tips, especially about the new way to do panel lining, i will keep that in mind, I thought gundam markers were the way to go.

Honestly I have always been sort of a perfectionist, perhaps its my weakness and thats why I just want the colors to be perfect. ^_^

I use to collect American MSIA's but now....well im not to thrilled about spending 30$ minimum for an action figure regardless of series, especially a 130$ Tallgeese III, i remember the days when i could go into KB toys and get it for 4.99$ How sad how the gundam empire here has fallen. I just wish there was a kit for every mobile suit in a series....I noticed there's still not kits for some, yet there is over 10 RX-78 kits, (not bashing RX-78) :D

Ok, so I pretty much got my answers from paint, haha as it turns out, as I stated earlier, My freind knows Japanese so he can translate any part of the manual I wish, so this will come in handy for the paint. As it turns out, were going to Japan next year, Hobby shop heaven apparently ^_^ and gundam paradise ;)

So my next question is about shadowing. I absolutely love the effect it gives the mobile suit. Im under the impression your suppose to use 75% thinner and 25% paint? Can somebody who shadows (preferably light shadowing, to much is simply not my taste) care to advise? I also wouldn't know if you use black or gray paint for shadowing, or does it consist of layers? I thought it was just very weak paint that barley shows up, thus giving it the shadow effect and could be done in one layer....Once again I really don't know :)

Another question is about seams....I remember building 3 model kits as a kid, of course I didn't do anything with them, but I noticed that usually where the legs connect on 1/144 scales and usually 1/100 HG you get this problem, Ive been told its only on old kits, but do i use glue then sand down the ooze to make it smooth? If so, how do I go about this sanding process? Im sure you don't have to glue perfect grades, or even master grades at that, but does the seam problem only occur in the scales I mentioned? Please Advise, and thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it like no other :)

DC23 2010-04-07 03:09

There are two kinds of shading bro...preshade and post shading...

preshading is painting the parts with a dark color then spraying a lighter shade on the middle areas of the part.

post shading is using a very thinned darker color and spraying on the edges of the part being painted. I use Tamiya smoke for this job and it is basically a clear black.

Others might have a better explanation about shading and might have tutorials for it.

As with seam line removal, I use either Tamiya cement or Tamiya thin cement...same effect different method. here is my tutorial about seam line removal - SEAM line removal

DC23 2010-04-07 03:10

BTW, enjoy your trip to Japan heaven bro!:D:D:D

JC... 2010-04-07 12:08

I bought some black spray paint for when I build my Masurao, it's gonna be good =D I've been hand painting an Ahead too which is about 50% complete and I've made plans for a diorama.

The diorama will be the outside of a space colony and I'll build in a stand to it so I can display any of my 1/144s on there. I'll probably add some men in spacesuits.

Also I don't know if I should buy air brush seeing as I've found where to buy Tamiya paints, I plan to buy the Kshatriya & a Hy-gogg and I wouldn't want to hand paint a large model like the Kshatriya... Anyone know any good or cheap airbrush brands?

P.S I like DC23's blog it's great xD

Mr Chow 2010-04-08 00:13

Use your imagination!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deliverance (Post 2990971)
Hey everybody, I guess years ago I made account with god knows what email so here is my new account :) Sense the forum was titled Gundam models i saw it appropriate to ask my question here though somebody please re-direct me if I am wrong.

My question has most likely been asked but I wouldn't know what page its on so bare with me.

Your pretty much left to your imagination in what color and effect you want, just experiment on scrap before your touch your gundam! I prefer to use a spray unit to do both undercoat and top coats, and use various brushes for effects and touch and highlights. I even use ash and coal taken from after a BBQ or burn some wood and use that!! Use what's handy or try anything that may give a great effect.

PEACE

Mr Chow 2010-04-08 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC... (Post 2991437)
Does anyone use the gamesworkshop paint gun (whatever it's called) I don't know wether I should buy it or not, it seems decent value, I'd have to buy the gas, are spray cans good, a ny problems with them?

Spray cans from my experience can be a hassle or not depending on how or what your using them for! They can't be regulated and when spraying try applying in thin coats at a time - because they can spray pretty thick! What do you mean by gas? Do you have a gas operated or electric spray unit?

PEACE

Mr Chow 2010-04-08 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameraBaenre (Post 2991399)
Gundam markers are a decent start for panel lining, but personally, I find that the wash method is more cost effective. More information about the wash method is here: http://gamerabaenre.com/panel_line_wash.htm

The colors are mixed using the specific colors and percentages. There are some gundam color kits but the general ones are just generic colors and are not formulated for all kits. In general, the general gundam colors will most likely match up with the standard RX-78 Gundam colors. Gunze Sangyo does make specific pre mixed color sets for specific kits, at least they have done so in the past. So depending on your specific kit, you can probably find the color set for that kit, but it's generally limited to about three colors or so.

Baring that, unless you have an absolute need to match the color according the the guide 100%, your choice is to translate the color guide, get the colors, and mix according to the percentages.

I recommend just getting a bunch of colors you like, and paint the kit how you think it should look. There are a million shades of white, just pick one.

If you want more tips on model building, I have a few tutorials written with pictures for most, and videos for some: http://gamerabaenre.com/toolsandtechs.htm

Otherwise, you can also check out some of the build progress pages I have that detail my builds: http://gamerabaenre.com/in_progress.htm Though some are incomplete, but a good number are start to finish. Hopefully it'll help you out a bit and give you some ideas and further welcome you into the hobby.

Nice method you used there! I've done the same years ago for most of my models (way before I did my first gundam!!), and thinking if I will use the process again for my PG models? Have you used acrylic based paints with spray unit to get the same effect? I might experiment a bit...

PEACE

X207 2010-04-08 00:33

how long would it usually take to mix an acrylic paint that hasnt been used in 1-2 years? i have 3-4 acrylic paints and it seems like it will take a while to mix the thinner in the jar with the actual paint?

atm ive done all the blue areas on my garrazzo, all thats left is to dull the finish on some parts and paint some smaller details.

GameraBaenre 2010-04-08 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Chow (Post 2993215)
Nice method you used there! I've done the same years ago for most of my models (way before I did my first gundam!!), and thinking if I will use the process again for my PG models? Have you used acrylic based paints with spray unit to get the same effect? I might experiment a bit...

PEACE

Thanks. Yes, I've used tamiya acrylic paints getting the same effects. I've just gone away from tamiya acrylics because I've found that lacquers are MUCH easier to work with, albeit a bit more on the toxicity level, but still, because of the performance and ease of use, I'll only use lacquers.

Quote:

how long would it usually take to mix an acrylic paint that hasnt been used in 1-2 years? i have 3-4 acrylic paints and it seems like it will take a while to mix the thinner in the jar with the actual paint?
I recommend using a metal stirring rod of some sort to help mix the paint. No amount of shaking will help. And from my past experience with acrylics, I remember the bottles said not to shake them, but stir. If they're not completely dried out, you may be able to add some alcohol or what ever the thinner that comes for that particular brand of acrylics and you may be able to reconstitute it.

In other news, here's what I've been working on for the past week or so:
Spoiler:

X207 2010-04-08 01:46

/
Quote:

Originally Posted by GameraBaenre (Post 2993273)
I recommend using a metal stirring rod of some sort to help mix the paint. No amount of shaking will help. And from my past experience with acrylics, I remember the bottles said not to shake them, but stir. If they're not completely dried out, you may be able to add some alcohol or what ever the thinner that comes for that particular brand of acrylics and you may be able to reconstitute it.

thanks, shaking helped a bit but nothing too noticeable. none of my modelmaster (2x) or tamiya (2x) have dreid out. they've just settled annoyingly well to the bottom. i'll try a metal rod but it still will be slow going for me to stir it well. this problem with acrylic is one of the reasons i prefer enamel, then lacquer (as long as i have the proper lacquer thinner).

DC23 2010-04-08 12:25

I use Tamiya acrylics and add 10% of Tamiya Acrylic Paint retarder...it somehow makes the Acrylic paint almost similar with lacquers in terms of ease of use and performance.:D

I have better finished kits when I started using Tamiya Paint retarder...here is my first painted Gunpla with Tamiya paint retarder mixed with Tamiya acrylics - PG Zeta ver DC23