AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Manga (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   (L) Witch Hunter (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=85791)

frubam 2009-09-01 17:16

Witch Hunter

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...am/cover-1.jpg

Categories: action, adventure, comedy, fantasy, manhwa, shounen, supernatural
Author/Artist: Cho Jung-man

Witches suddenly declare war against humans, causing two-thirds of the world to fall apart. They summon monsters called "Supporters" and devastate human residences... but why?

Survivors gather people with the power to combat the witches and called them Witch Hunters. Tasha Godspell is one of the strongest nicknamed "The Magic Marksman" along with his jack-o-lantern looking Supporter, Halloween, fights the witches in order to find and save his sister.

Although I've heard this compared to D. Gray-man, this manga seems more like Soul Eater. Every witch can use magical power called mana and has what they call a supporter, which is like an magical entity that gives a witch greater power(think of them like alter users from s-CRY-ed, if you ever seen that). Only women can be witches, have supporters, and use mana. Tasha Godspell is different though. Through specially made magical items, he can use mana, a magical gun, and various magical weapons, but cant' replenish his mana without devouring a witch's hat(the source of a witch's mana). He also has a supporter named Halloween, who is kinda cool. So they go around, beating up witches and devouring their mana in order to eventually find his sister, Aria.

Tasha's general personality is like the money-grubbing type. He just LOVES money. He doesn't mind helping you out... for a fee. I also like that Halloween seems to be at odds with Tasha alot, like he hates his guts or something, which provides for some funny moments. There are quite a few side chars that provide some amusing moments, but I'll skip mentioning them. Better to see for yourself than to explain everyone's little quirks >.>.

The artwork is decent, and the story is pretty solid. They have an great balance between its comical, action, and serious moments, so things don't feel old(yet).

tl;dr: If you like Soul Eater's mix of comedy, action, and drama, you just might like this.

MrTerrorist 2009-09-02 02:49

Yeah I read the manwha, it's one of my favorites. i like the story especially the characters.
God, they're funny. :)

BTW, here's the manwha's Wikipedia pages including the list of characters.

Witch Hunter (Manhwa)

List of Witch Hunter Manwha Characters

Cyz 2009-09-02 22:42

It's a good series. Lots of random references but it was good and all. This is probably one of the best manhwa I read.

Kafriel 2009-09-03 01:08

Devouring....their hats? Gotta see this :)

MrTerrorist 2009-09-03 02:21

Not in the way you think actually.

Cyz 2009-09-04 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafriel (Post 2621646)
Devouring....their hats? Gotta see this :)

When he said consume, it was more like absorbed what's in the hat.

Irenicus 2009-09-04 23:43

Well, now this surprises me.

At first I sort of looked over this manwha: the lead doesn't look all that interesting and the plot summary isn't much, and I wasn't in the mood for shonen; but since people here like this manwha I figured it wouldn't hurt to try...

And I liked it! The characters are funny, the girls are all cute, and the plot is interesting (the fight-the-world-save-the-sister plot never gets old, lol). I warmed up to the main character as he grew less and less "slapstick manwha male lead" and more and more "Allen Walker." Plus, I lol'd when Halloween got a cute upgrade (Id flashback here!).

Cyz 2009-09-06 02:16

Seems like the translated chapters made a huge jump. I wonder why :confused:

Irenicus 2009-09-06 02:57

Different scanlation groups. Manwhore is already doing volume 5, so the other group just skipped ahead...IIRC.

Wrath88 2009-09-06 04:56

Same thing happened to Kenichi (HSDK) before. Some groups just skipped ahead, but the difference between this one and that one is a digit in the hundreds. Skipping ahead like 10 chapters only makes it a spoiler feel for some.

I'm spoiler-immune, so what I'm feeling is more of 'hole in story'

MrTerrorist 2009-09-06 13:31

Well, I'm been told that the rest of chapters in Volume 5 weren't plot related to the main story since it's actually deals with Xing past & his background before we move on to chapter 21 & 22.

Cyz 2009-09-06 14:24

But still, a character needs a background story or something. Just not too much though cause it will be boring

Kafriel 2009-10-04 14:57

*Phoenix post*

Finally decided to read this, gotta say it was better than I expected, it was an easy read and Xing's story was by far the best! I stopped at 24, thought I should wait another two volumes before continuing...gotta hate waiting:P
As for the parts I enjoyed the most: the fact that the author managed to prepare the main team despite Tarras originally being a nameless character, made an interesting plot for Xing, efficiently removing his status of sidekick, the addition of female characters on the good side, as well as the potential of each character, so that there is no need for any other new recruits and instead blending the characters carefully may result in totally different team potential.

g1alpha 2009-10-05 19:56

Read it at mangafox. It has up to ch 36 there

frubam 2009-10-05 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by g1alpha (Post 2686064)

didn't know you had an account here g1. I've been reading it from there as well, and thanks for all the releases \(^,^)/, this is a great manga.

Kafriel 2009-10-06 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by g1alpha (Post 2686064)

Cool, thanks :) Since I don't know how often the manhwa gets released, I try to stop at the end of arcs, it's pretty bad to be left with a cliffhanger for 2 months.

g1alpha 2009-10-06 14:07

Well the scanlation group has pretty much finished vol 8 which is up to ch 38. They're just planning on spreading the releases out a little so that there isn't too big of a gap between vol 8 and vol 9 which just came out about a week ago

MrTerrorist 2009-10-17 15:08

I hope the scanlations for Vol 9 will be finish.

KrebMarkt 2009-10-17 15:29

Solid stuff.

Licensed in France and up to 8 there.

Should be a good pick for any NA publisher.

MrTerrorist 2009-10-19 11:53

Vol 9 Ch39 Just came out!
Spoiler for 39: