AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) Dragonball Kai: Dragonball Z's 20th Anniversary Recut!! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=78450)

Spyda 2011-09-21 23:38

While after watching Dragon Ball Z kai I've come to realize just how.... average DBZ really was. It still holds a special place as my intro into the world of anime. While compared to the rest of the anime universe it may not really stack up, it was a amazing show with comedy, drama, realistic looking and acting characters (to a point), violence, and yes filler.

No it's no FMA or Claymore... But it had everything a good show needs. And it along with Pokemon (the game) are responsible (in my mind) for the sudden spike in awareness and interest in all things Japanese.

DBZ Kai is a knockoff. However, if it is your first time watching the series, it actually may be better especially for younger viewers. Less filler, less drama, more punching and screaming. (and more censorship too)

Crimrui 2011-09-26 05:33

Guess I'm one of the few people that actually didn't mind DBZ's fillers and without them the new refreshed series looked a bit empty. Of course, I myself don't include all the dragging when they look each other for five minutes. Don't really want to get into discussions regarding what might happen and what could never happen in the fillers, I'll just say that I enjoyed them starting from Pendulum Room Peril to episode where Goku and Piccolo were trying to get a driving license. Liked those moments and kinda missed them here but I guess plenty of people were feeling that it was a good riddance.

That aside, I enjoyed Kai, or rather re-edited & refreshed Z. The opening was a nice touch and the series stopped at the right time, for me. Not a fan of Buu saga nor it's fights, that includes the Goten and Trunks and all the Saiyan sausage fest. Sure, there is SSJ3 beuty and #18 making appearance again, but watching it once was enough. That arc simply wasn't thrilling and fun as the previous ones. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind watching it again in the Kai version, or some other goodness in the future.

Newer fans will appreciate Kai more, but I'll say that I favor them both equally, with a little thumb up more towards Z. One slower and one faster version for whenever time you feel like watching. :heh:

DarkRape 2011-10-08 22:49

I am not very attached to Kai as I was the original. I liked all the fillers, especially the ones on Namek with Bulma. I don't know why, but the cut back to the original fill makes it seem boring. It would've made better sense had they stopped at the end of the Freiza saga at least instead of entering Cell as well. I'm not fairly attached to the old footage either. I would've preferred had they redone everything in the footage to the new length instead of adding a brand new intro to old footage, new effects, and some new animation. It made it look horrible.

But that's just my opinion overall.

kenjiharima 2011-11-24 19:39

Poseable figures Dragon Ball by Bandai

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg88/...jpg&res=medium

Note: Vegeta and Trunks non-SSJ hair are exclusives. #AreYouSeriousBro?
Those saiyan royalties really.... =/

Blaat 2012-11-07 08:19

Necroing the thread for some good news. :)

Dextro 2012-11-07 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaat (Post 4429581)
Necroing the thread for some good news. :)

What? Does that mean that we'll actually get the Buu Saga? :eek:

Alchemist007 2012-11-08 19:17

Would be nice.

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2012-11-10 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextro (Post 4429855)
What? Does that mean that we'll actually get the Buu Saga? :eek:

That's right, my friend. I'm super-stoked for this, because the only thing that really bugged me about Kai was that it was incomplete. Now, we'll get to enjoy the Z portion of the story in its entirety. It's a great time to be a Dragon Ball fan, what with the new film slated for release next year and this announcement now.

sky black swordman 2012-11-10 18:05

^ Well I thought that Kai ended with the Cell saga because that was the way the author had originally had intended to end it, with Gohan defeating Cell and succeeding Goku and becoming the Earths new champion.

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2012-11-11 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky black swordman (Post 4434034)
^ Well I thought that Kai ended with the Cell saga because that was the way the author had originally had intended to end it, with Gohan defeating Cell and succeeding Goku and becoming the Earths new champion.

You heard wrong. That's a misconception many fans have all because of a rumor that spread across the internet. Toriyama never said he originally intended to end the series with Cell. That's unsubstantiated and there's nothing to prove it.

Alchemist007 2012-11-11 14:09

I only learned about it today but there's a new movie coming out:
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dra...82013_movie%29

I think I'm the last to find out actually :heh:

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2012-11-11 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemist007 (Post 4435180)
I only learned about it today but there's a new movie coming out:

I think I'm the last to find out actually :heh:

I think you are. Where have you been :)? Joking aside, a lot of people don't like the design of the villain in this movie, but I find it to be refreshing. This villain definitely stands out from the rest of Toriyama's creations.

bumbayker 2012-11-17 02:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma (Post 4434993)
You heard wrong. That's a misconception many fans have all because of a rumor that spread across the internet. Toriyama never said he originally intended to end the series with Cell. That's unsubstantiated and there's nothing to prove it.

There may be no proof of it but it sure appeared that the Cell arc was the end of the manga for a time. Unlike the other major arcs (Saiyan Saga and Freeza) which still had a continuing story after their respective stories ended the Cell arc pretty much ended at volume 36 of tankouban.

Personally I think Toriyama wanted to end it as early as Freeza. But his editors kept pushing him to continue it since it was raking a lot of money for Jump. The Buu Saga was arguably the least interesting arc in Dragonball Z since it hardly offered anything new. Toriyama didn't seem to put as much effort with the art and story at that point.

Samari 2013-01-26 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma (Post 4435229)
I think you are. Where have you been :)? Joking aside, a lot of people don't like the design of the villain in this movie, but I find it to be refreshing. This villain definitely stands out from the rest of Toriyama's creations.

It might look new and refreshing, but it does seem kind of like a ridiculous design. At least to me. I was expecting something a little more menacing and badass.

Vicious108 2013-01-26 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samari (Post 4528540)
It might look new and refreshing, but it does seem kind of like a ridiculous design. At least to me. I was expecting something a little more menacing and badass.

Toriyama's prior villains included an effeminate midget with purple lipstick, a green walking cockroach, and a dickheaded pink blob. Conventionally badass is not his thing. :p

Alchemist007 2013-01-26 14:33

Hey, Cell was a cicada!

sky black swordman 2013-01-26 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious108 (Post 4528622)
Toriyama's prior villains included an effeminate midget with purple lipstick, a green walking cockroach, and a dickheaded pink blob. Conventionally badass is not his thing. :p

What about Vegata and Piccolo, they were original villains before turning good?

Shyni 2013-01-27 10:31

Vegeta was a bit of a midget when he was a villain, though. So, less badass-looking compared to later on.

kenjiharima 2013-01-31 03:21

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

Goty 2014-04-06 09:26

This should be back to "current series', right?