AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Miyuki (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=13870)

babbito2k 2004-05-17 14:45

Miyuki

Gee, I always thought Mitsuru Adachi was just into baseball, maybe a little boxing... his romances always come off kind of hard-boiled - like a teenage version of The Big Sleep, only with no guns or blondes.

But here is a show from 20 years ago, and Masato, the main character, is a panty fetishist with a sister complex. He doesn't have time for sports - he is too busy trying to catch his step-sister, Miyuki, in the bath, or make time with his girlfriend, Miyuki...

Miyuki the step-sister is playing along - she likes playing house with him while his father is who-knows-where, and enjoys teasing Masato. There are also a couple of grown men in the show who more or less have a lolita complex...

I'm not saying I dislike this show. Actually it's kind of nice to see an Adachi title without the contrived sports drama. But the whole story is pretty odd...

Breogan 2004-05-17 16:30

The whole thing lies in the fact that they are not blood related: Masato's father married Miyuki's mother, and when her mother died she went to live with him overseas. The story starts when Miyuki comes back to live with Masato.

He's not sure if she knows they are not blood related, so he behaves as if they were: she has no other relatives and he doesn't want to hurt her by making her realize she has no "real" family in the case she didn't know.

On a side note, Miyuki is the name of Masato's girlfriend too :)

And yeah, the late 20s teacher and mature policeman with the "loli" complex are quite funny
Spoiler:

Spyre 2004-05-17 19:41

The teacher is actually 35 (freaky!)

This is a good series, although I'm pretty biased. But I do admit the animation and sounds are extremely dated...

brood-faun 2004-05-17 22:35

Does the character animation resemble a lot like Touch? When I was watching ep1, I was thinking, "What the heck, am I watching touch?".

Bullsquat 2004-05-18 00:37

Its from the same mangaka, What do u expect?

I love Miyuki. The manga is one of my favorites. The anime releases are pretty slow, but I'm cool with that. I've seen four episodes so far and I'll prolly watch the whole thing once they all come out.

stpehen 2004-05-18 02:04

OP is retrofantastic. Can't get enough of it!

monir 2007-06-21 11:22

Good news. After 2 years and 5 months of patient waiting, we now have a new inspired group who has just picked up subbing Miyuki from where it was left off. Rejoice, for there is a subtitle for episode 12. Oh joy, oh joy! :D

So any Miyuki fans still alive in this planet?

tugatosmk 2007-06-22 16:52

It's good to see that there is actually someone apart from Minor Ja Nai in fansubbing old Adachi works. :D

Unfortunalety, from what I heard, the quality of this ep 12 sub isn't very great, video-wise and english translation/adaptation-wise, the last due to the translation being done by using the latin-american dub dialogues (the group itself is spanish, I think). As for the video, I have no idea why there are black bars all around the image, "squeeching" the image into a weird 16:9 look. :confused:

Before genki-fansubs start throwing rocks at me :p, this is not a rant or a bashing from me. It's more of a "warning" to "rookies" in anime, so they don't think that all old series will have that look. I'm sure genki-fansubs had their reasons and/or limitations and that they would improve the video if they could. ;)

It's still, of course, a tremendous initiative from the group. :bow: Surely a group like genki-fansubs isn't fansubbing just to get the maximum leechers from and to get popularity, since usually picking old series don't help in that matter. ;) They are, indeed, true fans, of this great show by Mitsuru Adachi.

(And no, I wasn't payed to write this. :p)

It would be cool if some of the staff members could share their thoughts in this thread. :)

Soshen 2007-12-20 11:43

Any news for adachi fans? :D

ragnarokr 2008-01-10 22:37

No news at all...

But...

For spanish and japanese language speaking fellows, heres a link of major interest for all folks who visit this desolated Miyuki topic (when I say major interest, is because IT IS major interest); www.malditasgalletas.com/

DanielSong39 2008-01-11 03:59

Anyone know how this ends?

I heard that the anime was discontinued after 37 episodes, which is a shame...

Very clever use of imagery and sight gags galore in the first few episodes, but the quality does degrade after the first half-dozen episodes... but a pretty decent job overall.

rothgar 2008-02-01 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSong39 (Post 1337608)
Anyone know how this ends?

I heard that the anime was discontinued after 37 episodes, which is a shame...

Very clever use of imagery and sight gags galore in the first few episodes, but the quality does degrade after the first half-dozen episodes... but a pretty decent job overall.

Manga ending:
Spoiler:

You can get the manga english transcipts here:
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Field/7337/

Sinestra 2008-02-01 15:47

I never started because I heard it was not finished i might have to start now.

Darkmasterxx 2008-04-24 17:21

So all the Miyuki episodes haven't been subbed? I guess that explains why I could only find episodes 1-13 out of 37. I really, really enjoyed the Miyuki manga, it actually almost brought a tear to my eye towards the end, and that is extremely rare for a manga or anime for me, so this is definitely one of my favorite manga. Luckily, I'm determined to teach myself Japanese this summer, and this manga and anime made me more determined to do so.

nihon 2008-06-25 01:18

Miyuki is one of my favorites. I've read the manga (in Japanese and English) and watched most of the series in Japanese. I wish I could find the torrents for eps.9-11, though, as they seem to have disappeared (just the triangle bang icon).

What I really wish is that someone would pick up these older series and release them. They wouldn't have to have fancy releases or anything. I'd buy them. :-)

The Kasuga Family 2008-09-01 18:51

Its unfortunate the anime stops before the story end in the manga, leaving an emotional cliffhanger.

Miyuki is my favourite Adachi Mitsuru show. Hiromi Tsuru as Miyuki Kajima is sweet.

nihon 2008-09-02 00:25

Now we just need to convince someone to finish up. There are only 37 episodes, so they were 25% done with the series.

ragnarokr 2008-09-07 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kasuga Family (Post 1858780)
Miyuki is my favourite Adachi Mitsuru show. Hiromi Tsuru as Miyuki Kajima is sweet.

She is just a major reason why I love the anime so much, she is super sweet. It's too bad that this and other series are the only seyuu jobs she ever took. She had an incredible lovable voice. *me goes back to watch Miyuki anime*

nihon 2008-09-07 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragnarokr (Post 1876719)
She is just a major reason why I love the anime so much, she is super sweet. It's too bad that this and other series are the only seyuu jobs she ever took. She had an incredible lovable voice. *me goes back to watch Miyuki anime*

She's actually done quite a number of voices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiromi_Tsuru

Tiran86 2008-09-08 02:58

I haven't seen the anime, but the manga is fantastic. My second favorite series by Adachi (after H2)