AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Love Live! (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 13 Discussion / Poll [FINALE] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=145237)

Kairin 2016-09-24 12:35

Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 13 Discussion / Poll [FINALE]

Welcome to the discussion thread for Love Live! Sunshine, Episode 13.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Akito Kinomoto 2016-09-24 12:41

This episode made me smile
This episode made me laugh
This episode made me cry
These girls do their best
These girls forge a future
These girls shall ascend
They know it won’t be easy
They know it took them time
But now their hearts are joined, and o how brilliantly they shine

Windy 2016-09-24 12:48

Alright after 3 hours I can finally rant!

So the main focus of this episode is getting the 0 applicants to 1. I do think it was nice to try to include the minor characters in some way, which was sadly shut down by Love Live rules, but they can still support Aqours in their own way!

Plus we finally see Chika's mom, and good god is she adorable! I actually thought she was Chika's little sister for a second there.

Then we hit the second half of the episode, and where my opinion of the episode differs from others. A lot of people dislike the whole recap of Aqours story so far, be it because they either felt it was entirely unnecessary or that it dragged on for way too long (and to be fair, it did drag for a bit, hence my 9 for this episode instead of a 10). But from a storytelling standpoint it was necessary. After all, Numazu is a very small, well knit town. I'm sure anybody who wanted to enroll that was from Numazu would have done so already if they were of age. They were trying to appeal to the audience with their story, which still felt every bit as inspiring as when I first watched the respective episodes. (Especially Chika's frustration, props to Anchan for deliviring that scene yet again) And as you can see at some point in the MIRAI TICKET PV, they succeeded, at least the tiniest bit!

Speaking of MIRAI TICKET, it had everything I could ask for in an Aqours song, and Chika antics between verses :heh:

And so ends my Season 1 journey. When I first got into Love Live around November last year, and basically hadn't heard of Aqours until around April, my expectations coming in were...abysmal to say the least. What little I heard of their music on SIF at the time didn't leave a strong impression on me, and I came in expecting a worse Muse, as a lot of people were. A 0/10, if you would from a fanatics standpoint. What I got instead was one of the biggest emotional rides of my life, a new best girl (two :heh:) and the fact that I don't want this to be over for a long long time. They successfully turned my 0 into an overall 11. I hope they perform as well as they have for many years to come and we can look forward to all the stories the Aqours characters and actresses have for us.

outlaw97 2016-09-24 12:50

How convenient - didn't watch the first 12 episodes of this season? No problem with this ep! :heh:

They really embraced the Broadway musical style with this ep, even if it was to mixed effect. The stage play reenactment of their journey had a good vibe at the beginning, but got stretched out to overstay its welcome. On the one hand, it's good to show the audience their journey, but we as the viewers get bored with since we already knew it.

My initial thoughts right now are that it's a classic ending that doesn't shut out Season 2, but even if there wasn't one, provides enough closure. I might have to retract my theory on them going full sports mode, as this episode effectively threw that out the window. I'm surprised how smoothly they scaled back their expectations in the span of 30 minutes, from "It's not about winning Love Live" to "It's not about saving our school", to finally, "We just want to show how much we love our town and people!" I still don't doubt there'd be a season 2, there just wouldn't be a clear progression path.

Other random thoughts:

1. I will never get tired of Dia's BUU BUU. NEVER.
2. They're really embracing Kanan's role as THE SEXY, pausing a tad long on drinking that water bottle - not that I mind!
3. You and Kanan really are the stable pillars of the group, I wonder if there will be any interactions between them in the future.
4. The talks between the subunits, err, members really hammered in how well the character dynamics have been this season, much better than the original series IMHO.
5. They were channeling some Makoto Shinkai with some of those scenery shots - dat sky!
6. Great visuals for the last performance, as expected.
7. If Love Live was handled like a real sports tournament I felt Aqours would've been DQ'd for a couple things :heh:
8. I ALMOST thought they were going to shove some last minute drama with Riko, thankfully they DID learn their lesson from Kotori in OG.
9. Dia remains my top fav, but I have to figure out where everyone else stands.

tsunade666 2016-09-24 12:53

wow, just wow. the episode might be faulty at some point, especially the too much young and smaller mother, but wow. the story telling before the song might a bit draggy but it get the emotional support. the each part per year intro before the actual concert is heart warming. From Yohane to ruby and Hanamura, From kanan with Dia and Mari. Then Chika with Riko and you. The built up is ups and down but when the concert starts? wow.

Its too bright for my eyes to see, especially with all the different colors and spotlights but, it game a badump effect on me :heh: I was really excited when watching the concert. Especially when Chika called out the others to join in.

Its really SHINY!

Tempester 2016-09-24 13:06

What a fucking travesty of an episode. Whose lousy idea was it to have that extended sequence where the characters literally recap the entire story of the first season? We've already see all that, what the hell is the point? I was constantly pausing during that scene out of embarrassment, it was a horrible scene that could have been trimmed completely to make room for actual plot or character scenes.

Aside from introducing Chika's mom and a little (and just a little) ruminating about Aqours's future the rest of the episode was just a whole lot of nothing. Just HOW MUCH do we have to hear the characters going on and on and on about going from "zero to one" in a single episode? This utter glorification and self-congratulatory bullshit takes itself way too seriously. The OG series had this to some degree too (especially the movie), but Sunshine has gone too far. The show is trying so damn hard to push its agenda to give the viewers heartwarming and optimistic feelings that it has actually disgusted me and made me a more pessimistic and cynical person than before.

This has to be one of the worst episodes of Love Live I've ever seen, if not THE worst. I don't even feel hyped for S2 much anymore, if this episode was any indication for the direction the show will be taking I don't feel like I can be optimistic about it. This episode (and the previous one too) was a sham, an insult to good directing and good storytelling that often goes unappreciated when it's done well, and a blight to the entire franchise.

R.LocK 2016-09-24 13:22

Hm, that was not a good way to end the season, that's for sure.

That said, if pre-song retrospection were to be condensed, it'd make the scene a hella lot better. ...And the entire episode itself. Aside from that, I wish they dropped Step! Zero to One as BGM, at least. I mean, they even name dropped Kimi no Kokoro...

And well, the sub-plot with other girls was not good.

Seihai 2016-09-24 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windy (Post 5951297)
So the main focus of this episode is getting the 0 applicants to 1. I do think it was nice to try to include the minor characters in some way, which was sadly shut down by Love Live rules, but they can still support Aqours in their own way!

It's really nice how their whole school (damn, they are so few...) is behind them. This grouping together reminded me of Sunny Day Song from the movie in a positive way. Furthermore the message of wanting to turn the 0 into 1 is enhanced greatly by their wish to run towards the future so there's 2 messages behind their dream, so to say.

Quote:

Plus we finally see Chika's mom, and good god is she adorable! I actually thought she was Chika's little sister for a second there.
I laughed at Riko's facial expression when her mom suddenly popped up... :heh: And yeah, I definitely thought that she is her imouto, too. lol I got another laugh when Riko agreed that she's the hottest beauty, then she went like "oh shit"...

Quote:

Then we hit the second half of the episode, and where my opinion of the episode differs from others. A lot of people dislike the whole recap of Aqours story so far, be it because they either felt it was entirely unnecessary or that it dragged on for way too long (and to be fair, it did drag for a bit, hence my 9 for this episode instead of a 10). But from a storytelling standpoint it was necessary. [...]
I agree it was dragged on no matter how much I liked it, but I'd also like to add that if you imagine yourself to be part of the actual audience there, it really isn't that long. Their musical play before the actual performance took barely over 5 minutes. That really isn't too abnormal compared to other musicians who introduce themselves and state their motivation behind their song, and some even give a long list of names of people who they dedicate those songs to.

Quote:

Speaking of MIRAI TICKET, it had everything I could ask for in an Aqours song, and Chika antics between verses :heh:
It was amazing to see no hiccups despite Chika's crazy off-script actions (she was so off-script that she left the building :heh::heh:), but it really is scary when you think about it. Ad libbing really isn't that easy and it backfires damn hard if you fail... but I guess everyone was in "the zone" so it was no problem, heh. I still laugh everytime I see Chika run towards the exit though. lol

Quote:

And so ends my Season 1 journey. When I first got into Love Live around November last year, and basically hadn't heard of Aqours until around April, my expectations coming in were...abysmal to say the least.
Same. When SS first got announced I wanted to cast it aside and consider it as mere franchise milking. Getting sequels for franchises I like is a happy thing, but if that franchise already feels perfect and completed by itself, I'd rather not have a continuation which could potentially ruin the franchise for me. Well, luckily I got slapped in my face when I saw Aquors' first PV and while I didn't invest as much nerdiness (e.g. didn't listen to audio dramas or look at all official scans etc. like I did for OG) into SS as I did with OG, it still managed to give me very enjoyable ride.

R.LocK 2016-09-24 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seihai (Post 5951317)
Same. When SS first got announced I wanted to cast it aside and consider it as mere franchise milking. Getting sequels for franchises I like is a happy thing, but if that franchise already feels perfect and completed by itself, I'd rather not have a continuation which could potentially ruin the franchise for me. Well, luckily I got slapped in my face when I saw Aquors' first PV and while I didn't invest as much nerdiness (e.g. didn't listen to audio dramas or look at all official scans etc. like I did for OG) into SS as I did with OG, it still managed to give me very enjoyable ride.

OT: Give first-years' audio drama from the second single a listen, at least. That was quite probably the moment I felt Yohane's charm.

Stark700 2016-09-24 13:32

I enjoyed the show overall but the finale felt weird. They really did not need a recap, especially that long..

In the meantime, I did like the latter half of the episode starting from the stage part with Chika and the others performing. Chika's mom also looked much younger than I had thought.

Jimmy C 2016-09-24 13:37

And Chika has left the building.

Seihai 2016-09-24 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.LocK (Post 5951319)
OT: Give first-years' audio drama from the second single a listen, at least. That was quite probably the moment I felt Yohane's charm.

Oh? I will keep it in mind then, thank you for the recommendation. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy C (Post 5951323)
And Chika has left the building.

She took the "running free" too literally.:heh:

http://i.imgur.com/reSb6IYl.jpg

blakstealth 2016-09-24 13:43

That moment when you realize Shiitake is the only male character in that whole goddamn dome if not the whole season

Nachtwandler 2016-09-24 13:52

I still not impressed with the songs but I really like how this season was handled. And my favorite is still You.

blakstealth 2016-09-24 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seihai (Post 5951326)
Oh? I will keep it in mind then, thank you for the recommendation. :)

She took the "running free" too literally.:heh:

http://i.imgur.com/reSb6IYl.jpg

You know they got disqualified for the shit Chika pulled!

grecefar 2016-09-24 14:46

Well that's that for now, it was a good love live season I though that I wouldn't like that much but in the end I did enjoyed it.

Dextro 2016-09-24 14:56

Well it was a rather decent season with a very meh last episode. We, the audience, didn't really need that recap even if it's not a bad choice in the context of the story. It actually started out rather interesting but by the end it felt like it was overstaying its welcome.

Now to be fair I want a second season. I would really love to see this new group in their own story instead of this awkward therapy session for overcoming the end of the original show.

Pen3 2016-09-24 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachtwandler (Post 5951332)
I still not impressed with the songs but I really like how this season was handled. And my favorite is still You.

Yes i totally agree about the songs. I like their first 3 debut songs (Heroes, Zero to One, and Kokoro wa Kagayaiteru) and a few of the sub-units songs by Azalea, but everything after that has been a miss. The songs from the anime is even worst besides the ending song, Yume Kataru. When are we going to get something the rivals Soldier Game and Aishiteru Banzai or something by Saint Snow that can rival Shocking Party. They need songs that leave a good impression because i don't remember any insert songs after watching season one. Their first live was done very well and i almost teared up when Chika started to cry, but again.. i can't even remember the song.

outlaw97 2016-09-24 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pen3 (Post 5951385)
Yes i totally agree about the songs. I like their first 3 debut songs (Heroes, Zero to One, and Kokoro wa Kagayaiteru) and a few of the sub-units songs by Azalea, but everything after that has been a miss. The songs from the anime is even worst besides the ending song, Yume Kataru. When are we going to get something the rivals Soldier Game and Aishiteru Banzai or something by Saint Snow that can rival Shocking Party.

I've intentionally ignored the songs until the anime was over, so now it's time to take a listen, but I do agree that most of the ones featured this season didn't have much of an impact on me.

In regards to Saint Snow vs A-Rise, preferences aside, didn't A-Rise only have one song for Season 1 of the original series? So asking for more is just impatience right now :heh:

I actually like Saint Snow more than A-Rise right now, if only because their song was such a great contrast to Aqours, and very fitting to the feel of "beating down their competitors".

playmaker2k 2016-09-24 18:25

This episode didn't disappoint me, you guys do.
You're forgetting the most important thing here.
No one has brought up Yohane's mom? That's the real travesty. Shame on you all. :heh:
Statuesque, Beautiful, and Elegant?
She's easily the hottest woman in the whole LL universe. THE WHOLE LL UNIVERSE. (Until we see College Age Maki...with long hair. :love:)
It's no surprise where Yohane got her beauty, hair bun, and those hips from. I have chosen wisely. The Path of the Demon is the way.

There will be a 2nd Season. Lantis/Sunrise can so much more money and we haven't got a conclusion of what went down in this competition.
No Epilogue or trophy just a photo and Chika's words of shining.

This is why I think their performance this episode is more of an introduction to the audience (in-universe) about where they came from and why they decided to compete in LL. Look at how they introduced each other to the crowd. I have this feeling this was their opening tournament bracket performance that will segue to the 1st episode of S2 where they meet their true rivals backstage.

We might get the Idol Sports Anime we've always wanted to see.