AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Your Job/Occupation? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=72261)

Eczema 2008-10-01 09:02

Your Job/Occupation?

I'm a university student at the moment. My grades are so-so/average, and I have no industry experience in my chosen field. I graduate next year so I'm feeling a bit anxious going into the big bad world. My degree and university are respectable, but I'm still a bit worried about my future. I guess even if I can't find a job, my parents will support me until I do, but of course I'd rather not leech like that. I'm currently looking for casual/part-time/vacation work in anything even remotely related to my industry.

So AS, how are your studies/careers going? Looking for a change? Completely satisfied? Don't know, don't care?

Sephi 2008-10-01 10:09

Also a University student. Grades are also just so-so. And graduating in one and a half year if everything goes as planned. Not much experience in the chosen field. I do work a bit as a freelancer, which is related to what i'm studying. But it's nothing really serious.

I have two part-time jobs.

System administrator. Is where i'm typing from now. I do this for about 16 hours a week. Job is quite boring and require a lot of searching to solve problems. There seems to be some shit hitting the fan every week that keeps me busy for a few hours. While i slack off the rest of the hours when all the weekly tasks has been done. This job is boring and a pain. If something isn't working i get the blame and sometimes they call me outside working hours when a server is down or something like that.

Today I have to deal with someone asking me what her password for her mail account was, a mail account shes been using for over 5 years... i've only been working their Honestly... people are responsible for their own passwords. I only deal them out and they can change them themselves after... It's not my job to remember people passwords... Though i could reset it if it's really necessary..
Overall, the pay is quite good. But that is about it i guess. "money: A necessary evil"

And i also work as courier where i deliver spareribs two evenings in the week. It's quite fun granted my boss isn't there. When he is, we have to work like dogs :( Other than that. It's driving around a bit and delivering the food. If there is no order to deliver we have to do the dishes. Overall the pay isn't really good. though if people tip a lot it's still quite good. It's a job without stress. It's just go there and do the things and go away again and nothing to worry about.

As for whether i'm satisfied... I guess i would say so-so... I do remember being bored and poor 3 month ago when i was only studying... Now i got money, but hardly have time to spend it.

Ichihara Asako 2008-10-01 10:22

I'm retired. I had a pretty good run though, if I do say so myself. Managed to do a lot of interesting things in my youth, then settle in to a nice high paying job that allowed me to buy several houses and retire early. Nothing more I could ask for, really. It's still possible to do for anybody, though I do admit I had it easier than most would as I live very cheaply and was able to save the vast majority of my income which made real estate a valid option at a young age. Something I recommend to anybody, too.

TinyRedLeaf 2008-10-01 10:51

I think this thread belongs here: So what career are you aiming for?

The most obvious answer: Work in a job you'd enjoy. But then again, finding such a job isn't always so obvious.

Eczema 2008-10-01 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf (Post 1952241)
I think this thread belongs here: So what career are you aiming for?

The most obvious answer: Work in a job you'd enjoy. But then again, finding such a job isn't always so obvious.

Doh. I searched the forum for job, work, and occupation, but not career. :upset:

GuidoHunter_Toki 2008-10-01 21:51

Well I'm in my Senior year of High School and I have many College possibilities, but it seems my dream of attending MIAD is within reach. It does take quite a surplus of cash to pay for that place. As for job wise I'm currently working at a bike shop my cousin owns anmd I've been working there for about 3 years now.

Phantom-Takaya 2008-10-01 22:02

Yeah... This would go into the career thread, but I'll answer anyways.

I am both a college student and business owner.

I'm going to college to get a degree in "Science of Engineering" which covers Computer Systems, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. You could say I like making automated stuff and hopefully I'll make a robot or android in the future.

I also own a business in the information technology field. I won't get into details with what my business does due to the fact that our niche isn't very common in my state, but I will say that we do do the typical computer/network/printer repairing, building and upgrading. We also sell software and accessories at our clients' request. We also offer other kinds of services, but like I said, I won't get into details. We mostly serve businesses, but there are some clients who are private consumers as well. We're also considering adding a new department that offers web designing and management.

I currently have two other businesses on the works; One is that I'm discussing and creating the binding contracts with my friends to start an automotive performance shop. The other is an internet cafe.

Furuno 2008-10-01 23:39

I'm just yet another college student in software engineering. Grades are... :) Also have several side jobs to keep the number on my wallet more than zero.

My main side job is as an IT freelancer. I'd go anywhere on the town doing anything computer related from solving ridiculous problem to creating customized software solutions. The funniest jobs ever is when I've called to neighboring town to repair a computer. Here's the summary :
Spoiler for stupid things:
Also I'm building and selling computer and the parts... Sometime get a job from my college as an IT instructor for the Department of Defence.

Strahan 2008-10-02 01:31

IT geek. Systems administrator for the Baltimore mayor's office.

Ermes Marana 2008-10-02 01:39

I'm a University student majoring in University Student Studies.

Basically, what that means is that I spend all my time observing myself and analyzing my seemingly random actions. Trying to find a pattern.

Luckily I have a grant from the government to fund my studies, because if I got a job I would no longer be in the group I am studying.

Aoie_Emesai 2008-10-02 01:39

Also a student

Major - Industrial Engineering.
Grades, probably better than yours ^^
Part time Job - Dead end job atm >.<
hobby - sleeping, reading, politics, photoshop, drawing, more sleeping ^^

sang26 2008-10-02 02:02

hi

i'm a nusre here in philippines..
and i'm planning to go to other countries to work..

Eczema 2008-10-02 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ermes Marana (Post 1954277)
I'm a University student majoring in University Student Studies.

Basically, what that means is that I spend all my time observing myself and analyzing my seemingly random actions. Trying to find a pattern.

Luckily I have a grant from the government to fund my studies, because if I got a job I would no longer be in the group I am studying.

Serious? That sounds too good to be true lol. What kind of career would this lead into?

Honda Boy Techy 2008-10-02 02:30

Full time Student at a local Community College. Current Declared Major: Computer Science (Mistake, meant to be Computer Information Systems). I plan on switching Majors to CIS and obtaining an Associate's of Applied Science in CIS. Then I plan on changing majors again to pursue a Bachelor's Degree in..... well whatever the hell is easy enough for me to get a Bachelor's in. I don't even care, I just want a dang bachelor's degree. The Associate's is for what I want, the Bachelor's is for expanded job opportunities. So far though, it's looking like Sociology, possibly Psychology. BUT I'm having quite a bit of fun in my Graphic Arts class (despite the total lack of artistic skill but hey, it involves a computer so I'm good), so you never know what I may end up doing.

I am a part time employee though at a local BBQ Restaurant. Been tryin for 3 years to get another (better paying) job but I have failed miserably. The town I live sucks for finding a job.

Shinbou 2008-10-02 04:36

Student administration planning to help people administrate there finance who have a own shop...Kinda scared of the future how it will be to graduate, and what kinda job fits me. Sad cause i couldnt make my dream to be an animal vet in a animal wildlife center...My grades are, fine.

Part time job i'm cleaning at a school 2 days in the week, 2 hours a day (cause of the long school days), earns pretty good...

Intrests: Gaming, anime, manga, boyfriend, wolves (i collect stuff of them)

Phantom-Takaya 2008-10-02 04:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinbou (Post 1954500)
Student administration planning to help people administrate there finance who have a own shop...Kinda scared of the future how it will be to graduate, and what kinda job fits me. Sad cause i couldnt make my dream to be an animal vet in a animal wildlife center...My grades are, fine.

Part time job i'm cleaning at a school 2 days in the week, 2 hours a day (cause of the long school days), earns pretty good...

Intrests: Gaming, anime, manga, boyfriend, wolves (i collect stuff of them)

Couldn't make your dream to be an animal vet at a wildlife center? Why not?

Eczema 2008-10-02 04:58

Indeed. 17 is no age to declare any dream over. Unless the dream is to be a child prodigy.

xia 2008-10-02 18:53

I work overnight stocking a store.
Pay is actually not really that bad. so its enough to sustain my hobby.

WanderingKnight 2008-10-02 20:22

My growing interest in Linux and general computing (actually, I've always had an interest in PCs, it's only after I discovered Linux that I actually got to learn a lot about them) has recently made me ditch my English translation studies and also landed me a job in a small software development company--it's so small that the area I'm working in has only three people (a main developer, a main support guy, and me, who comes and goes between support and development). I've only been a month and a half on the job and I've already been praised by both my coworkers, so I'm more than happy to have had the opportunity of getting to this job. I owe the Free Software community a lot for this and I'm truly, truly grateful.

And of course, this made me reconsider my career choice and finally go for Computer Science starting next year.

zSolaris 2008-10-02 20:24

Well, while I'm typing this I should be working on college essays and my Extended Essay for IB (but being a good IB Student, I'm slacking off).

As of right now, I'm just a high school student without a part time job (I miss having that extra money ;-;) because my parents want me to focus fully on this year. My Grades are okay...enough to get me into a decent Engineering school (going with Undeclared Major, probably will switch to Mechanical). Still dreaming to be accepted to those really big name schools. >.<