AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Lamune (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26583)

Kaoru Chujo 2005-12-19 20:46

Lamune

This is probably the gentlest, most romantic series I've ever seen. It's based on an ero-game, and there are several girls, but from the beginning it has been obvious that Ken and Nanami would stick together. Their bedrooms have been opposite each other in neighboring houses since they were little. Tension there is none. Action there is little. Plot? Not much. But I love it anyway. Just watched episode 10 and it was the best of all. Fansubs to ep6 by C1Anime.

The VA for Nanami is Gotou Yuuko, who plays Kaede in Shuffle, and was Hiyori in Mizuiro OVA2 and Yuka in I"s Pure. She does the high little weak voice to perfection for me, to the level of parody for others. I will repeat, however, something I posted before: the interests she lists on her home page are travel, fighting sports, motorbikes and drinking.

ANN page

Official site.

Gotou Yuuko home page.

Gotou Yuuko at a beer bar in Tokyo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/gotoyuko.jpg

mytrivo 2005-12-19 21:23

I enjoy this series also. I've seen 6 episodes. It's a refreshing change of pace. It's nice to be able to relax and just enjoy life sometimes. I love the interaction between the characters. Ken and Nanami are so comfortable with each other. And the friend (his name slips my mind right now) that teases them about Nanami being the wife is fun.

I wouldn't want all anime to be like this but I enjoy that I can watch an episode and not come away going: "Huh? What just happened?" or "Why'd they have go and stop it there?"

Kensuke 2005-12-20 01:31

Yes, very enjoyable little show, and I remember Gotou Yuuko from Mizuiro, her high pitched voice was easy to recognize. The fan event in Mizuiro special was quite hilarious, it is also fansubbed.

I agree, I wouldn't want all of my anime to be like this but every now and then this type of anime I like the best.

rooboy 2005-12-20 01:57

I love this show, and especially after episode 06 or 07 when it really starts to pick up a little steam (not much, but a little). I love the pacing (especially when compared to the frenetic pace a lot of anime uses) and especially love the flashback gimmick (probably because I have a kid about that age of my own).

Keitaro 2005-12-20 03:55

I like it too, the story and pacing of the show is just right. I love how they start an episode off by showing a flashback scene of when they were kids, and how it relates to the older Nanami and Kenji in the present. Their personalities are totally opposite from each other but that is what makes them such a great couple. I look forward to future episodes.

Is their some reason why they decided to spell it Lamune instead of Ramune? I believe Ramune is the correct way.

Tiberium Wolf 2005-12-20 04:00

I have watched the 6 subbed eps and still find this serie boring :frustrated:

There is nothing that it makes it interesting... :frustrated:

Radiosity 2005-12-20 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf
I have watched the 6 subbed eps and still find this serie boring

So why are you still watching it? It's not going to suddenly change into some major action anime, so if you don't like it up to now, drop it :)

As for me, I'm in agreement with the other people that are liking this as a nice slow-paced slice-of-life series. Nanami is sweet, Ken is a nice male protagonist who isn't an idiot (a good thing on the rare occasions it happens), and it requires little thought to watch. Great stuff when I've just been on the edge of my seat watching something like Mai Otome and want a change of pace :)

edit: forgot to mention, Lamune is the correct spelling in this case, even though technically Ramune is the proper way to spell it. The series title is Lamune, the drink is Ramune. And don't ask where I got that from cuz I can't remember (a post someone else made, or ANN maybe, meh, my memory sucks).

Kaoru Chujo 2005-12-20 11:54

OMG! There is some plot and tension in ep11, to go with the beautiful romance. Good episode. And 12 looks as if it will continue the trend.

I would not say this is a great series, but I find it very enjoyable for what it is. Ken is about as good as harem anime protagonists get. And Nanami is a classic.

Furudanuki 2005-12-20 12:09

Quote:

As for me, I'm in agreement with the other people that are liking this as a nice slow-paced slice-of-life series. Nanami is sweet, Ken is a nice male protagonist who isn't an idiot (a good thing on the rare occasions it happens), and it requires little thought to watch. Great stuff when I've just been on the edge of my seat watching something like Mai Otome and want a change of pace :)
I'll add my agreement for those sentiments. I've started holding the latest episode of Lamune in reserve to calm my nerves after one of my periodic drama/angst viewing binges.

Grifis 2005-12-20 12:57

Lamune appeals to me a great deal. It's kind of hard to find those light and relaxing moments. It's a good watch while waiting for Blue Green Years. I love the interactions between Ken and Nanami. Ahh... such subtlety and sweetness. Boring it may be to many however to me it has re-watching value.

Cloudnine 2005-12-21 03:59

While I love slice of life shows, Lamune doesn't rank high on my list. Maybe it's just me, but I find the dialogue pacing really odd and somewhat forced. (somewhat reminiscent to another love or hate series "Aishiteruze Baby") Slice of life shows should have naturally flowing dialogue and character emotions.

Mah~ it's still definitely watchable, but imo the anime doesn't do the game much justice.

Tiberium Wolf 2005-12-21 04:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radiosity
So why are you still watching it? It's not going to suddenly change into some major action anime, so if you don't like it up to now, drop it :)

I got nothing else to do... not much to watch these recent months... :upset:
It's not like I have BW issue... I leech 100% from the university :)

I am even thinking of deleting Suzuka after watching the last ep. Doh :eyebrow:

Shinji103 2005-12-21 05:02

I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said, except that this show is not for the action+super suspense+ultra good animation lovers. But I still love this show. :D

Tatiana Razajev 2005-12-21 08:28

Well I've just finished watching episode 6. It's nothing special per say, but so far I like this. It's kind of relaxing and the flash back thing is interesting. As of right now my favorite girl in the show is Hikari. Well partially because she's attractive. Plus I like her taste in clothing.

Ilpalazzo-sama 2005-12-21 11:50

I've dropped it after ep3 (i could not even watch thru ep3). I don't know, it was just way to sloooooooooooooooooow for me.

rooboy 2005-12-21 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudnine
While I love slice of life shows, Lamune doesn't rank high on my list. Maybe it's just me, but I find the dialogue pacing really odd and somewhat forced. (somewhat reminiscent to another love or hate series "Aishiteruze Baby") Slice of life shows should have naturally flowing dialogue and character emotions.

Mah~ it's still definitely watchable, but imo the anime doesn't do the game much justice.

Realllly? It takes me so long to correctly translate visual novel games I usually only bother when someone says they're great, maybe I'll have to check this one out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinji103
I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said, except that this show is not for the action+super suspense+ultra good animation lovers. But I still love this show. :D

I dunno, the animation in the last couple of episodes has actually been pretty good (especially 12). But it is a romantic-comedy, so obviously it pales in comparison to GiTS:SAC or something like that.

rooboy 2005-12-21 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf
I got nothing else to do... not much to watch these recent months... :upset:
It's not like I have BW issue... I leech 100% from the university :)

I am even thinking of deleting Suzuka after watching the last ep. Doh :eyebrow:

I find this attitude really bizarre. There's nothing wrong with it (it's your time after all), but I have literally thousands of things I could be doing with my time. I can't stand watching an anime series if I didn't like the first two or three episodes (My Hime leaps to mind).

I guess, in other words, what I'm saying is, every second you're watching anime is a second you could be spending doing something else you like, why continue to watch something that you find no value in?

Desti-Fate 2005-12-21 12:48

Man, this show is brilliant. Been watching for a while and every episode seems better than the last, though I'm still only after the 4th episode. The whole thing just seems so relaxing and natural. I can't wait for a plot to begin to develop.
Hard to describe what I like about this, but it reminds me a lot of Kanon... which is refreshing after the likes of Shuffle. Lamune is a harem anime without any of the things that put me off the genre.

Real shame the series isn't longer- I'll have to get the game once my Japanese improves (maybe in a few years :p).

Radiosity 2005-12-21 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by rooboy666
(My Hime leaps to mind).

Are you seriously saying you dropped Mai HiME after only a few episodes? Wow. If that's the case, I don't really know what to say, other than it's one of the best series I've had the pleasure of viewing. Well, to each their own I guess.

rooboy 2005-12-21 14:10

Quote:

Are you seriously saying you dropped Mai HiME after only a few episodes? Wow. If that's the case, I don't really know what to say, other than it's one of the best series I've had the pleasure of viewing. Well, to each their own I guess.

Yup, that's what I'm saying. Though, in fairness to myself, I keep intending to watch it now that it's out completely. It just didn't do much for me, though a lot of people I usually get good advice from told me it picks up a little later on. I tried watching Mai Otome too, but couldn't get past the first episode of that.

This happens a lot to me though. I find the first couple episodes of most anime series to be the weakest, If I don't like it after an episode or two, then I wait until the series is completely out and try to watch it then. Occasionally that changes my impression (not usually, but sometimes), but usually I only do it for series that get a fair amount of good word of mouth (or generate a sequel, since I figure that means someone had to like it). :)

Kaoru Chujo 2005-12-21 15:39

Quote:

Are you seriously saying you dropped Mai HiME after only a few episodes? ....

Me, too. I watched the first five or six eps of Mai-HiME, and a couple of later ones, but it just left me totally cold. The characters and situations were meaningless to me. I watched the first four eps of Otome and liked the first one, but totally lost interest after that, for the same reasons. One thing I've learned on Anime Suki is how much reasonable people's tastes can differ. For instance, I love Paradise Kiss, which few people seem to watch.

rooboy 2005-12-21 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Me, too. I watched the first five or six eps of Mai-HiME, and a couple of later ones, but it just left me totally cold. The characters and situations were meaningless to me. I watched the first four eps of Otome and liked the first one, but totally lost interest after that, for the same reasons. One thing I've learned on Anime Suki is how much reasonable people's tastes can differ. For instance, I love Paradise Kiss, which few people seem to watch.

Yup, Paradise Kiss is another one. Tried the first episode and couldn't really deal with it, so I figure I'll wait til it's finished (if it's not licensed) and give it another go.

And I would have to add that not only do people's tastes differ (and none of us are "right" or "wrong" about what makes a good show), but that, frequently, due to life experiences or whatever, what you get out of a show may be different than what I do. For example, I can't stand Beck. But then, I've never been in a band, had a desire to be in a band, and the only music I really listen to is really dated (except the occasional anime soundtrack). But that being said, I'm always willing to give a show another shot if it has a lot of fans. As long as I don't have to wait around to like episode 20 or whatever before it starts to get good.

Srin Tuar 2005-12-22 12:16

Quote:

Yup, Paradise Kiss is another one. Tried the first episode and couldn't really deal with it, so I figure I'll wait til it's finished (if it's not licensed) and give it another go.

Hah-
I hate high fashion, modelling, making clothes, dressing up really, art schools, and all that sort of stuff. I think its dumb and pointless.

I watched the first episode of parakisu not expecting much, or maybe at most have something to rant about it sucking so bad, just like beck did.

Instead I was entranced, and watched the first episode like 6 times in a row.
The music, the scenes, the characters. I dont know how to describe it except to say I cant
help but feel you are missing out.

Now, about lamune

Spoiler for episode 11:

rooboy 2005-12-22 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
I watched the first episode of parakisu not expecting much, or maybe at most have something to rant about it sucking so bad, just like beck did.

Instead I was entranced, and watched the first episode like 6 times in a row.
The music, the scenes, the characters. I dont know how to describe it except to say I cant help but feel you are missing out.

I actually _did_ watch the first episode. There're very few series I won't at least _try_. And even then, I usually will eventually give it a shot. Though I'm so far behind on Gundam lore that I just don't bother anymore with new ones. Also, I've been trying to rewatch the first episode of Mai Hime, and this seems like a completely different show than the one I didn't like. I wonder if I have it confused with something else.

FWIW, Lamune is one of the few shows I watch twice, once as a raw and then once again when it's been subbed.
Spoiler:

Every episode of Lamune leaves me with a really contented feeling, I know that there's no real way they could have stretched out this kind of show longer, but I am sorely going to miss it when it's gone.

Radiosity 2005-12-22 13:56

Quote:

Also, I've been trying to rewatch the first episode of Mai Hime, and this seems like a completely different show than the one I didn't like.

Good, stick with it, it's really an excellent series :D

Srin Tuar 2005-12-22 14:40

Quote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

mangatron 2005-12-23 06:30

You know, I've never posted in the previous Lamune thread or this due to lack of time available also considering the amount of anime I watch this season (I've set priorities for Canvas 2, To Heart 2, MSLN 2, DC 2....wait a minute, they're all sequels ROFL....), Shuffle, GPO, PPD, and others aren't high on my to-post list, and Lamune would've had I not been arrogant in reserving my nose for Canvas 2 and TH2 :heh:.

Me, a really big fan of Mizuiro, I've had Mizuiro 2003 avatars and sig's that sparked interest into many who laid eye's on them, time and time again I watch Mizuiro 2003 so much so I encoded it to play on my Pocket PC PDA. Portable Hiyori, and looks like I'll need to add Nanami in here as well. Now, normally I wouldn't have had deep interest in this anime other than in it for the girls :heh:, but I thought about something, the similarities that was a no-doubt-about-it on why I love the Lamune anime so much.

-Same VA for Nanami as was Hiyori
-Both girls have a boyfriend with the name "Ken" in it.
-Both girls call their respective's "Ken-chan"
-Both girls have pinkish hair
-Both girls cry
-Both girls have something special the boy has given them
-Both girls were sick at one time
-Both Ken's have identical attitude's
-Both Ken's have quite a sister :heh:
-Both series have school life in them
-Both series have a touch of laughter here and there
-Both series have memorable girls in them :heh:
-Last but not least, the one thing that is uncomparable: episode count. Mizuiro 2003, 2 episodes. Lamune, 12. You know what make me scream out loud for joy? Watching Lamune is like watching Mizuiro 2003 for 12 episodes :heh: :heh: :) And I'm loving every minute of it. I can't recall any of the numerous romance anime I've seen that has a couple with a relationship like Nanami x Kenji.

And about episode 11, a sad thing I wasn't surprised about it...

Spoiler for episode 11:

You know, I class this anime in my list Category: moe melts :heh: I mean, I just have to meet Yuuko-san someday, I mean wow....she plays the role very, very well.

Radiosity 2005-12-23 08:32

I'd love to meet her too :) Her Kaede role was awesome too (she does psycho role to perfection :D ).

Kaoru Chujo 2005-12-23 09:12

Quote:

I'd love to meet her too :) Her Kaede role was awesome too (she does psycho role to perfection :D ).

Gotou Yuuko has an extensive personal website. There are lots of photos of her under "Photo." There are some details about her in the first post in this thread.

She can draw really well. Look under "Comic" and "Illustration." Her diary is interesting and up-to-date. Her most recent entry is entitled "And I'm a Buddhist..." and talks about getting brown color contact lenses to help prevent red-eye in photos of her, but having to take them out because it was so dry in the studio and her eyes hurt, so it was a choice between red-eye and red eyes. She says she's been really busy and looks forward to having the 24th off.

I still can't get over the fact that with her sweet little voice, some of her interests are drinking, motorcycles and watching fighting sports.

Devil Doll 2005-12-23 15:47

I had planned to post more in this thread after Suzuka has finished, but I won't be able to understand enough about the raw version, so if the discussions here will be based on these I'd be always a month behind and probably be spoiled about some later episodes already.
Having said that, I am optimistic about liking this series after watching three episodes. I can only take so much drama at a time, and although I am not a comedy fan Lamune seems to be a good alternative without getting overly silly or even ecchi. (Ajimu Kaigan Monogatari comes to my mind.) The pace seems slow to me so far but that's fine, the characters have to get more substance before the story can unfold.

As for Mai Hime, I watched the first half of if but somehow put the project on hold after that and didn't restart it so far (despite being informed about a forthcoming change of tone for this story that might be of my liking). The problem with this series is that the scenario requires a large number of character to play certain roles, thus making many of these not really important. I prefer a focus on a smaller and better developed cast, like Iriya no Sora, Suzuka, Ajimu or Kanon would provide it. So Lamune being focussed on two leads at the start, then introducing alternatives for the harem scenario, looks like a good bet for me.

mangatron 2005-12-26 18:24

Well, I had originally thought I was prepared for an episode like this, but I have to admit, it's anime like this that re-surfaces my past...

Spoiler for episode 12, do not read if you want to watch for yourself:

I'd also like to note, for those of you who didn't have much of a past, or those of you who don't feel for life situations as a hardend person as myself, I would like to say, this series is not for you. Seriously, if you have not had a situation in your life that one of Lamune's 12 episodes portrayed, then you cannot come to realize how much I am moved by this series. This was a series where I could sit down, relax, and laugh and smile at the perfect couple that Nanami and Kenji were. This anime will now grace my list of favorites, and yes, it is alone on the top list of "anime that moved me most".

Again, I want to thank nekoneko soft for creating Lamune, the girls of Lamune, and for creating a male character that obviously stands out among the crowd of game to anime male characters. Again, thank you Nekoneko soft, and, I look forward to the day when Yuuko-san and Nekoneko soft work together again, on a girl that I can only dream about.

monir 2005-12-26 22:14

Agree with Mangatron.

It's a show that didn't try to sell or pretend to have a plot, so there was no false expectation. The series just happened episode by episode. Episode 12 is a delightfully fitting end to this series. Also, after Kaede/Nanami performance I think it is safe to say I have become a fan of the Seiyuu. Hopefully, she will be voicing more of my soon to be favorite female characters. :)

mangatron 2005-12-26 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by monir
Agree with Mangatron.

It's a show that didn't try to sell or pretend to have a plot, so there was no false expectation. The series just happened episode by episode. Episode 12 is a delightfully fitting end to this series.

You know, your right. When I first watched this series, I noticed something the moment it began: it started with a scene of the main characters in their younger years. Mizuiro 2003 started like that, and at that moment, I knew I would love this series. You see, Mizuiro 2003 was only 2 episodes, I wanted more, yeah, but it got me thinking, and I thought I know this isn't going to be the last time I enjoy something from NekoNeko soft. It's no wonder why I love Lamune; I wasn't expecting anything from it. I wasn't expecting hardcore stories of each of the characters backgrounds, I wasn't expecting some action of all things :heh:, I set out to do the most important thing I do when I watch anime: I don't expect anything, and I enjoy what I see.

Lamune flowed well to my opinion, the fact that it didn't slow down at times and the fact that only the end was a to be continued, that proves that it was a surprise the next episode again and again. Now this all makes me want to line up all NekoNeko soft games and see what's next :heh:

Srin Tuar 2005-12-26 22:51

Spoiler for and so it ends:

rooboy 2005-12-26 23:43

Loved it. It was so touching in so many ways. I think this might end up being my favorite anime series out of this season (though I still have to see how Canvas2 and Shakugan no Shana end I suppose to say so). I know a lot of people thought it was too slow and nothing happened, but I thought it was wonderfully put together. Light on plot, heavy on character and theme (just the way I like things), and never felt too rushed (which is my most common complaint with anime series, too slow in the first half, too fast in the second). Lamune stuck to it's strengths and I have to admit I'm also looking forward to whatever Nekoneko soft game gets adapted next.

nite0 2005-12-27 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
Spoiler for and so it ends:

Summed up my thoughts exactly.

Wandering_Youth 2005-12-27 02:08

I enjoy watching Lamune so far since it has the same slow pace like To Heart had and I really liked that. I thought straight off that Nanami was going to be another clutzy girl but in fact she's not. The scenes where it show Kenji and Nanami talking to each other when they were kids were entertaining and adorable. I look forward to see the rest of the anime.

giu_2 2005-12-28 18:41

:upset: onley 12 episodes *crying* ^^

Abbott 2005-12-28 19:10

Here's hoping for a lovey dovey filled OVA :p

bigae 2005-12-28 20:34