AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Naruto/Boruto (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   [Manga] Who is Tobi? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=93012)

james0246 2010-04-14 10:42

[Manga] Who is Tobi?

Recent chapters have definitely called into question the whole Madara = Tobi idea (that Tobi himself has gone to great lengths to perpetuate), so it only seems fitting that a new thread be made to discuss these developments.

This thread, unlike other Madara and Tobi threads, is set-up purposely to discuss the various theories as to who’s behind the mask. So discussions concerning the abilities that Madara once had, or that Tobi currently has, do not matter for this thread – focus only on the theories and evidence concerning Tobi’s identity and leave the “vs.” discussions in other forums.

This is a manga thread, so spoiler tags are not needed. Besides that, the general rules and courtesies apply. And, since this thread is dedicated to Tobi’s identity, please keep the conversation focused on this topic (and possible red herring).

I’m not going to lay out any evidence in the OP, but I do think it should be mentioned that the recent Data Book has separate entries for Madara as well as Tobi, and that can be as significant or insignificant as you desire…

For fun, I also added a poll. It's not really indicitive of anything, but polls are always fun :).

edit: Due to a request from a Shippuden only fan, I have decided to open this thread from Manga discussion to General purpose. This means the manga information can be discussed, but all manga-only information must be placed under spoiler tags. I have updated the OP and title of the thread to reflect this fact.

milan kyuubi 2010-04-14 11:00

Well i would have to say that Tobi is in fact indead Madara. First he knows a lot about the uchiha past and secrets behind the sharinagan. Also many people refer to him as Madara, so the logic confirmes my theory.

Emilis 2010-04-14 11:02

Lol, nice choices. You should have had an "all of the above" option though.
As for evidence, oh I and a dozen other conspiracy lovers have made the case for Obito. I'm not so convinced as I once was anymore, so I'll just sit back and if anyone gets on who thinks they are coming up with Tobito then I will push them in the right direction for the fun of it. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by milan kyuubi (Post 3003342)
Well i would have to say that Tobi is in fact indead Madara. First he knows a lot about the uchiha past and secrets behind the sharinagan. Also many people refer to him as Madara, so the logic confirmes my theory.

You know the Uchiha past and secrets are only being told by Tobi and he's having Sasuke kill off the only people who could verify or break his story (the elders and Danzou). If his identity is called into question, then so should the stories about the Uchiha. In fact his killing off of the only people who would know the truth should throw him into suspicion. And this is all besides the fact that he could have always known the real Madara or gotten the story from someone else. Even if not Madara, he's probably an Uchiha. They could have worked together.

All this to say him telling a story that no one can verify is no evidence for who he is. As for people calling him Madara, well the list of living Uchiha is supposed to be quite small. A powerful sharringan user comes along and tells people he's Madara, and they don't have an alternative culprit. Despite that we still have people like Kakashi saying "he claims to be Madara" or Kabuto "so I hear you are going by Madara these days".

Haak 2010-04-14 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilis (Post 3003344)
Lol, nice choices. You should have had an "all of the above" option though.

No point, since you can vote for all of them anyway (as i just did).

ZGoten 2010-04-14 11:07

Yay, finally a new thread again. :O
Well, the savest thing to asume is, that Tobi is Madara, because there is much hinting towards it, and only a few things hinting otherwise. I am not voting yet though, as I am too unsure a the moment.

But, hey, I didn't know there was a fourth databook out, thanks for mentioning it.

james0246 2010-04-14 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZGoten (Post 3003352)
But, hey, I didn't know there was a fourth databook out, thanks for mentioning it.

No, I am referring to the book released in 2008. While the info is technically old, I did not think many would have remembered, so I decided to add the brief reminder.

Cub-Sama 2010-04-14 11:18

Well since the revelation of the technique Izanagi which sacrifices your eye to save your life, I am inclined to think that Tobi is Bruce Wayne Madara.

Emilis 2010-04-14 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cub-Sama (Post 3003366)
Well since the revelation of the technique Izanagi which sacrifices your eye to save your life, I am inclined to think that Tobi is Bruce Wayne Madara.

Yeah that being introduced is what caused me to loose a little faith in Tobito. It suddenly gave a decent reason for Madara to be missing an eye. Of course it could always be Kishi trying to misdirect us. Either way there are options now.

Kafriel 2010-04-14 11:38

I won't be a wiseass and vote for everyone, but I will take the liberty to ask, WHY a multiple choice poll! This being a manga thread, I assume spoilers are not necessary, so...since Kishi didn't take Danzou to great lengths (like being Madara), I highly doubt that he will go out of his way to somehow revive Obito. Not that it wouldn't make a good story, anyone under the mask being not Madara would be good, but I think it would deviate too much from the original purpose of the specific character, whose main element is mystery. It will either be revealed at a point that will serve as his last, or just stay forever hidden in a very Kakashi-like manner.

HayashiTakara 2010-04-14 14:32

It can't be Obito because 1- One of Obito's eyes was literally crushed under a boulder 2- Kakashi has his other eye. 3- Obito is an insignificant character as a whole that was merely used to explained how Kakashi got his sharingan.

Anyway, Madara is Madara, I don't see a reason to doubt this. Itachi believes it, and the old as dirt (Tsuchi?)Kage recognizes him during that meeting, iirc there were others that recognized him right away from his chakra.

It was even explained how Madara have stayed young and alive all these years as well. There's no doubt in my mind that Madara is who he says he is.

Haak 2010-04-14 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by HayashiTakara (Post 3003620)
It was even explained how Madara have stayed young and alive all these years as well.

Erm...really? I must have missed that.

Reference please? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafriel (Post 3003387)
I won't be a wiseass and vote for everyone...

:p

Casshern 2010-04-14 14:56

Tobi is actually Madara's... mother... Tobiko.

Endrance 2010-04-14 15:00

Im gonna say hes some specter like version of madara

james0246 2010-04-14 15:13

Quote:

Anyway, Madara is Madara, I don't see a reason to doubt this. Itachi believes it, and the old as dirt (Tsuchi?)Kage recognizes him during that meeting, iirc there were others that recognized him right away from his chakra.

No, the Tsuchikage did not recognize Madara. Or, at least, he said nothing to indicate that the person standing before him was actually Madara. In other words, the Tsuchikage spook of Madara, but did not necessarily believe that Tobi is Madara (that is why he questioned Tobi's apparent lack of strength compared to Madara).

Additionally, only the Kyuubi has claimed to "know" Madara's chakra (but he never labeled Tobi as Madara). No one else has said they knew Tobi as Madara by his chakra.

Quote:

It was even explained how Madara have stayed young and alive all these years as well. There's no doubt in my mind that Madara is who he says he is.

It was never explained, Itachi (or was it Madara) simply said "chakra did it", and never mentioned it again.

Rei Kaiga 2010-04-14 21:27

i do believe it is madara but ive notice, never have i seen tobi/madara activate his magenkyou(spelling)

Cub-Sama 2010-04-14 22:37

He has had no reason to use it but he probably can since he wants to use Mugen Tsuyokomi.

iBeast 2010-04-14 22:51

He's Madara.

james0246 2010-04-14 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by iBeast (Post 3004307)
He's Madara.

Says You :). I think it's Madara's clone, the Jyuubi in disguise, or even a possessed Tobirama.

Cub-Sama 2010-04-14 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 3004313)
Says You :). I think it's Madara's clone, the Jyuubi in disguise, or even a possessed Tobirama.

It would be quite a cool twist is if the Jyuubi, can communicate with those with EMS, at the point of death the Jyuubi took over Madara and has been using his body to do his will and restore him. Like Sanary was used by Parista from Summon Night Swordcraft Story (hoping there will be a few who get the reference :p).

JustRob 2010-04-14 23:29

Since he refers to himself as Madara, it's only obvious to assume he is until proven otherwise. That being said this topic is about as useful as a "Who is Naruto?" topic.