AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Macross (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Macross - Q & A (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=64700)

monir 2008-04-04 10:25

Macross - Q & A

This thread is for those of you with questions about the Macross range of anime or manga. There are many questions that don't need a whole thread to discuss them. A simple practical answer straight from the anime or manga without any speculation can solve these connundrums. If someone has such a question about Macross which can be solved by answering with facts from an official source, then please ask that question here.

Please don't post in this thread unless you are asking a question or answering one. Please remember that it only takes 1 person to answer a question. And don't speculate! You can only reply with cold, hard, merciliessly unforgivable facts. If you have to speculate, then please just tell the querrant that no answer is known, but here are some facts that might help him make up his own mind.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime, manga, or any non-anime source. Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags, as shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...al/spoiler.gif icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how I create spoiler tags.
or
The macho way: By using those uber vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:

Sephi 2008-04-04 11:59

I'll be the first one to ask a question than :D

I have never saw a single episode of Macross. I only heard of it. And it seems like it's quite well known amongst anime viewers so i was thinking of giving it a try. I was thinking of watching this season Macross frontier as my first one.

Is Macross frontier a story on it's own or is it a prequel or sequel of something, and does it require any knowledge of the previous Macross series?

Thanks in advance :)

Westlo 2008-04-04 12:05

Macross Frontier is set after Macross 7 but like every other Macross made you don't need to have watched any previous series to enjoy it. You will probably get more out of it if you have seen all the prior series but you can start off with Frontier just fine, make sure to check out the previous series if you enjoy Frontier!

Sephi 2008-04-04 13:04

Thanks. I will give Macross Frontier a try :)

Onizuka-GTO 2008-04-04 14:09

Quick info. :p

Macross Universe Timeline

Macross Zero (UN Unification Wars): 1999-2008
Macross (SPACE WAR I): 2012
Macross Flashback 2012: 2012
Macross Plus (Sharon Apple Crisis): 2040
Macross 7 (Varauta War): 2045
Macross 7 Encore: 2045
Macross 7 Movie: 2045
Macross 7 Dynamite (Zola Incident): 2047
Macross Frontier: 2059

What are Zentradi/Meltran?

They are genetically designed race for combat for the ancient civilization called Protoculture.

The name refers collectively to the male gender of this race. Females are collectively called Meltran, who are similar, but have long hair and feminine features.
Anatomy identical to human, in two arms, two legs, one head, two nipples and respective male and female sexual organs.

The original characteristic is green skin and an average height of 1354cm.

Typically Zentradi/Meltran have the following genetic traits that are consistence in the Macross universe.

Skin Colour Hair Colour Eye Colour
Dark purple Blue Blue
Light purple Green Brown
Light blue Purple Green
Grey Black
Pink (Caucasian) Brown
Green Red

Spoiler for Zentradi involvement in Space War I :

This result in peaceful relationship with Humans

The Zentradi/Meltran with the aid of cloning technology was able to shrink (effectively transfer conciousness from the original body to a human sized clone body) thus engaged in equal partnership.

Humans and Zentradi were first discovered to be genetically compatible with the first mix-race couple

Spoiler:

Which is part of the main characters in Macross 7.

The pairing discovered that Zentradi/Meltran genes are dominate in a mix-race pair, thus a Zentradi/Meltran dominate will only produce male/female offspring with trademark Zentradi hair and a variety of the green/grey skin tone (although for female mixed race skin tone is more human natural)

Justice Knight 2008-04-04 23:15

i just saw the sig and gifs and marcross is like gundam?

4Tran 2008-04-05 00:24

The Macross franchise is like the Gundam franchise in the sense that they're both shows about war using giant mecha. One key area where they differ is that the combat and the mecha themselves are deemphasized compared to the characters.

IHaveCrayons 2008-04-05 16:03

Can someone explain to me what "decutural" means?

4Tran 2008-04-06 11:26

"Deculture" is a Zentradi phrase to refer to anything to do with the Protoculture (presumably excluding things that the Zentradi themselves are familiar with), who in turn, were their progenitors. This would include things like music, art and interaction between men and women.

glyph 2008-04-08 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Tran (Post 1514360)
"Deculture" is a Zentradi phrase to refer to anything to do with the Protoculture (presumably excluding things that the Zentradi themselves are familiar with), who in turn, were their progenitors. This would include things like music, art and interaction between men and women.

Since things of the Protoculture were taboo to the Zentradi, the phrase originally meant something like "unbelievable" or "amazing", with implied feelings of disgust and horror. However, it seems the phrase can also be used in a favourable sense now, from the Nyan-nyan ad, and "Kanteran de Basara de culture!":heh: from Macross 7.

CaiSter21 2008-04-09 14:57

does anyone know which episode Hikaru and Misa get married?

or is that just implyed by the directors?

brightman 2008-04-09 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaiSter21 (Post 1522133)
does anyone know which episode Hikaru and Misa get married?

or is that just implyed by the directors?

The TV series ends with the war and with the love triangle... The aftermath stuff is shown on Macross: Flashback 2012, where (correct me if I'm wrong) it is shown that Misa has adopted Hikaru's family name.

Onizuka-GTO 2008-04-09 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightman (Post 1522629)
The TV series ends with the war and with the love triangle... The aftermath stuff is shown on Macross: Flashback 2012, where (correct me if I'm wrong) it is shown that Misa has adopted Hikaru's family name.

Misa "adopted" hikaru's surname? :rolleyes:

Sheesh. just call it as you see it.

Yes. they do get married. :p

lubczyk 2008-04-10 03:01

Anyone know how many episodes Macross Frontier is set to be? I just hope it's not a quick OVA like Macross Zero was. Things moved along too quickly in that series.

I'm hoping for the series to be 13 to 26 eps with no continuous sequels. Sequels don't tend to end up well in the realm of TV anime.

DonQuigleone 2008-04-10 05:39

Probably 26 or 50, seems to be leaning towards 26 at the moment, but it's a show that could be stretched out to 50 pretty easily (a la Gundam, Geass....) if the directors wanted to.

Ninjamasta 2008-04-10 06:30

I can't seems to find a thread about this post.

Anyway, here is a news flash for Marcross Frontier http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ts-dvd-blu-ray

It will be release in Blu-ray format with both Deculture and ep. 1. In addition to ep. 1, it will be 32 min. instead of 25 min. running time. No release date and pricing yet.

ipernorris 2008-04-11 03:37

Where are the Protodeviln guys?!?

Ottocycle 2008-04-11 11:48

I've seen this mentioned in the threads. May I know who/what's an Itano Circus?

I've only seen 1 episode of Plus, 1 episode of the original, 30 minutes of DYRL, and all episodes of Zero.

Pardon my lack of time in watching please. I'm saying this before I get sprinkled with holy Macross lubricant oil or something...:p

glyph 2008-04-11 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by humbug23 (Post 1526895)
I've seen this mentioned in the threads. May I know who/what's an Itano Circus?

Fighters weaving their way through an intense barrage of guided missile salvoes flying every which way chasing them, a hallmark of all Macross dogfight scenes. Named after SDF Macross animation director Ichiro Itano.

Ottocycle 2008-04-11 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by glyph (Post 1526931)
Fighters weaving their way through an intense barrage of guided missile salvoes flying every which way chasing them, a hallmark of all Macross dogfight scenes. Named after SDF Macross animation director Ichiro Itano.

And I learn something new everyday. Thank you.