AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (CR) Saki (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=74980)

shomazta 2008-12-04 19:02

Saki

The seinen manga Saki by Kobayashi Ritsu will receive an anime adaptation.

咲 -Saki-
Saki

The manga is serialized in the seinen manga magazine Young GanGan.
Currently there are 4 volumes released of this manga.

Covers:

Mangaka: Kobayashi Ritsu

Genre: Seinen, Competition

Official Site: http://www.saki-anime.com/

===========

So far we know the cast consists of the following esteemed vocals

Ueda Kana: Miyanaga Saki
Koshimizu Ami: Haramura Nodoka
Kugimiya Rie: Kataoka Yuuki
Shiraishi Ryoko: Someya Mako
Itou Shizuka: Takei Hisa
Fukuyama Jun: Suga Kyoutaro

and that animation production will be handled by Gonzo.

I used to think I'd never take any interest in Mahjong, let alone an animation about such; until I saw Shion no Ou. In any case, I'm hoping Gonzo won't let this title down.

Utau 2008-12-04 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by shomazta (Post 2089659)

So far we know the cast consists of the following esteemed vocals

Ueda Kana: Miyanaga Saki
Koshimizu Ami: Haramura Nodoka
Kugimiya Rie: Kataoka Yuuki
Shiraishi Ryoko: Someya Mako
Itou Shizuka: Takei Hisa
Fukuyama Jun: Suga Kyoutaro

ahh-- such talented casts, and to top it off Kana will voice Saki :love:
does this mean she's doing another kansaijin?

this is now one of my anticipated shows to-watch list.

Midonin 2008-12-04 20:01

The voice cast and the fact that it wouldn't hurt me to learn a thing or two about mahjong means that this is on my list already. Looks fun.

kk2extreme 2008-12-04 20:04

is this gonna be a tornament based anime like hikaru no go?

shomazta 2008-12-04 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann
The story centers around Saki Miyanaga, a timid freshman girl who has never enjoyed the Asian tile game of mahjong. However, another freshman brings her into their high school's mahjong club and into the competitive world of mahjong tournaments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manga updates
Miyanaga Saki is a high school freshman who doesn’t like mahjong. Ever since she was a child, she would lose her New Year’s gift money during her family mahjong game. If she won, her parents would be upset, and if she lost, well, she lost.

As a result, she’s learned to play in such a way that her score always remains plus/minus zero: not good enough to win, but not bad enough to lose. When we meet her, she’s being dragged to her school’s mahjong club by an old friend. How will a girl who hates mahjong, yet has become adept at the game as a result of her upbringing, survive in this environment?

--

I haven't seen Hikaru no Go, so not sure about that... but it's obviously focusing on tournaments...

Square Enix has a preview of the manga up on their site if you want to see for yourself how direction may be played out, and of course there are scanlations available as well...

kyouray 2008-12-04 21:13

Staff :
Director : Manabu ONO
Series Composition : Tatsuhiko URAHATA
Character Designer - Animation director : Masakatsu SASAKI
Art director : Hiroki MATSUMOTO
Color design : Hiromi
3D animation : SANZIGEN
Sound : Yota TSURUOKA
Animation : GONZO

To my mind anime design really disappoints me. The manga is so nice drawn and cute...

Oxtail 2008-12-04 21:26

After Bamboo Blade and Shion no Ou, I look forward to animes about games/sports I know nothing about. :)

Falkor 2008-12-04 23:43

moé + mahjong = saki

I share kyouray's feelings: I don't really like the character designs. Just from that picture, it seems that they are going to take all the moé out, starting from there...

the fact that GONZO is handling the animation is a scary thought in itself, but I'm seriously more worried about the staff, really...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANN
Manabu Ono (Dragonaut - The Resonance, Transformers: Cybertron)
Tatsuhiko Urahata (Card Captor Sakura, Hajime no Ippo, Strawberry Panic!)
Masakatsu Sasaki (Erotic Torture Chamber)
Hiroki Matsumoto (Itazura na Kiss, Shikabane Hime: Aka, Welcome to the NHK)
Yota Tsuruoka (Air, Clannad, ef - a tale of memories)

Starting with the director, Manabu Ono, I don't want to see another trainwreck in the form of Dragonaut (I struggled through that show and it was such a painful experience). I wonder if he learned from the mess he did--from beginning to end, it was just bad.

The script is going to be done by Tatsuhiko Urahata and looking at the work he has so far done, the only downside I see is what he did on Strawberry Panic!, show whose script I did not feel very happy about. But he has been involved in some episodes of ARIA ~ The Origination (2, 5) and in the Series Composition of Monster. Well, not sure of what to expect...

I think they picked the "right person" for the sound direction, since Yota Tsuruoka seems to be someone with a vast experience--especially in regards to what I saw in ef~ tales of memories...

The 3D animation is going to be done by Sanzigen. What is that supposed to mean? Gonzo is relying on Sanzigen to do its awful 3D animation, or that Gonzo is not going to be involved in the 3D animation, and instead, it will leave it up to Sanzigen... I will definitely prefer the latter...

ok, I'm sounding way too pessimistic, but I can't really help it. On the bright side, I think they picked a strong cast of seiyuus, at least that... :heh:

Proto 2008-12-05 01:23

Quote:

After Bamboo Blade and Shion no Ou, I look forward to animes about games/sports I know nothing about.
You might want to watch Hikaru no Go while you wait, which is by far the king of this type of series.

In any case, while I definitely liked the clear look of the manga design, I cannot say that I don't like the anime design either, which has a spunky feel to it, reminiscent of Manabi Straight.

serenade_beta 2008-12-05 10:59

I know of this manga's existence, but haven't read it...

Gonzo is doing it, huh. Then there are various things to look forward too...
Character design... for anime looks kind of weird...

bayoab 2008-12-06 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proto (Post 2090156)
In any case, while I definitely liked the clear look of the manga design, I cannot say that I don't like the anime design either, which has a spunky feel to it, reminiscent of Manabi Straight.

Basically repeating what the above said. The manga chapter looked nice. The website makes my eyes want to hurt. And it is a Gonzo adaptation meaning something is going to get screwed up.

Does this series actually go anywhere good or is the only special twist to the generic formula it seems to follow the one mentioned in the first chapter?

Proto 2008-12-06 10:44

Hmm... I said that I liked the anime designs though. You know, double negation and all.

KrebMarkt 2008-12-06 16:47

There is a scanlation for the manga up to chapter 13.

I doubt many readers will get the japanese Mahjong scoring system.
I'm personally used the Honk Kong rules & scoring system.
So it is like "Calling Your Attacks" when they declare their winning hands.

kyouray 2008-12-11 12:30

Some pictures of the chara-design on Dengeki Online.

Duo Maxwell 2008-12-11 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrebMarkt (Post 2092893)
There is a scanlation for the manga up to chapter 13.

I doubt many readers will get the japanese Mahjong scoring system.
I'm personally used the Honk Kong rules & scoring system.
So it is like "Calling Your Attacks" when they declare their winning hands.

I can only find as far as chapter 10 :(.

To tell the truth, I was only into this game by playing eroge, and started to like Mahjong :heh:. That's why I only know the Japanese scoring system (although I still haven't gotten a good grasp about it).
Still can't find a good place to play Mahjong, since it's not popular (or should I say, almost no one at my place know about it). The downside of this game is you have to have 4 people :upset:.

niwasatou 2008-12-11 22:16

The designs scare me off a bit, but Kana-chan as main warrants a look into episode one at least. Who knows, maybe it turns out to be okay.

shomazta 2008-12-12 00:02

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3...s1w1459pd7.jpg

You don't like this? I think it looks pretty good. Characters don't look quite the same as the do in the manga cover's, yet they still look pretty nice, I think... maybe just a bit more "childish"

Rias 2008-12-12 00:50

The manga is pretty good for a MJ manga, but lately it seems to have changed directions and gotten abit unrealistic. I can stand Saki's Rinshan, since she doesn't use that all the time, but Koromo's Haitei ability is going abit overboard. I guess I just havn't read a MJ manga that tries to mix these different styles (stratergy + flow of the game + speical powers) together before, so it's abit weird for me.

Duo Maxwell 2008-12-12 02:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by shomazta (Post 2103123)
You don't like this? I think it looks pretty good. Characters don't look quite the same as the do in the manga cover's, yet they still look pretty nice, I think... maybe just a bit more "childish"

Maybe it's because of the eyes, I'm not sure. I have a very different feeling when looks at the manga and that image.

niwasatou 2008-12-12 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by shomazta (Post 2103123)
<snip>

I don't like forced moe and the manga covers left that impression, that's all.