AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Weed vs. Alcohol (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=95836)

Capone 2010-07-23 22:33

Weed vs. Alcohol

Weed vs. Alcohol
So... What's your opinion on the matter? My opinion is, that you really shouldn't do neither, but if you do, weed is the best choice. I got experience with both of them, so I mostly know what I'm talking about :)

First of...

The enjoyment
When you wake up after a night of drinking, you will feel absolutely terrible. But when you wake up after having smoken, you will realize that you have never slept better!

In order to get drunk, you need to drink and drink and drink... Toilet visits, toilet visits, toilet visits... With weed, you're just inhaling smoke.

As for the actual effects... I can't talk for everybody, but me and all of my friends who have experience with both agree; being high is much more comfortable than being drunk.

Oh, and alcohol makes you violent. No, not everybody, far from everybody, but some. Weed make you fly 'n chill.

The format
Weed is small solid substances, and I have at most carried 10 grams on me. Alcohol is heavy as f*ck to carry around, and the many bottles and alcohol on the floor leaves an icky mess behind...

Now, for the more serious stuff; the damage.

The damage on the mind
Weed damages your short-term memory, but alcohol all-around eats more braincells away. You might find dumb alcoholics who can barely speak who have never taken other drugs in their life, where as you won't find that many dumb hashomans who got dumb on weed alone; they mixed it up with alcohol and other drugs.

Alcohol is also far more addictive, and got much worse withdrawal symptoms.

The damage on your body
Weed smokers tends to be skinny, alcoholics tends to be fat. I'm skinny, but I prefer that over being fat, but when it comes to looks, it's really a matter of opinion.

Alcohol damages your kidney. Alcohol damages your muscles. Weed, if smoken, do damage the lungs a little (though it can be consumed in other ways).

They both cause a few other side-effects, like reduced sperm count.

Conclusion
Weed is the better choice. No one has ever died from smoking weed, where as tons of people has died from drinking alcohol.

RadiantBeam 2010-07-23 22:43

Hmmm, my opinion on the matter.... I just say do neither and be done with it, honestly. Maybe of the two weed is the lesser evil, but in the end both of them have more negative effects than positive on the mind and body and aren't worth the risk or the good feeling. So my opinion, I'll just avoid both of them as much as I can, thanks.

Capone 2010-07-23 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadiantBeam (Post 3156082)
Hmmm, my opinion on the matter.... I just say do neither and be done with it, honestly. Maybe of the two weed is the lesser evil, but in the end both of them have more negative effects than positive on the mind and body and aren't worth the risk or the good feeling. So my opinion, I'll just avoid both of them as much as I can, thanks.

That's by far the healthiest decision... Just stay away from them. However, I got to disagree; the positive effects of weed outnumber the bad effects, IMO.

Your personality will be more laid-back, less stress, you will have something to do and look forward to once in a while, and for the actual ride;

When high, watch a good movie and have plenty of food/candy you like, aswell as a can of water. You won't think so much about the bad sides in that situation :D

However, if you have never tried weed before, you don't know what you're missing out on. So I guess it's best for you not to know :p

MeoTwister5 2010-07-23 22:48

It's probably ironic but true: scientists have yet to cause cannabinol-induced death on lab animals.

RadiantBeam 2010-07-23 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capone (Post 3156085)
However, if you have never tried weed before, you don't know what you're missing out on. So I guess it's best for you not to know :p

I'd much rather just miss out on it, thanks. :p I don't think I'm missing too much, anyway.

Capone 2010-07-23 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadiantBeam (Post 3156087)
I'd much rather just miss out on it, thanks. :p I don't think I'm missing too much, anyway.

Let's just say... You're not missing anything, until you try it :p

Capone 2010-07-23 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 (Post 3156086)
It's probably ironic but true: scientists have yet to cause cannabinol-induced death on lab animals.

Yeah, it's a funny world we live in :eyespin:

Kaijo 2010-07-23 23:08

Alcohol is the more addictive and dangerous of the two, and yet... weed is outlawed in the US. Why?

Answer that question, and you're understanding of the world will grow. :P

As for me, I don't do either. Well, I did a little bit of drinking many years ago with two old friends of mine, but I didn't want to become barflies like they were. So I stuck to light stuff, like Rum'n'coke. And I dated a woman for awhile that really liked her wines (and smoked), but I couldn't get into that. But I don't have any plans to do either weed or alcohol.

That said, I'd like it if they made marijuana legal. What someone chooses to put in their body, or do to enjoy themselves, should be up to them, as long as it doesn't harm others. Someone who is drunk can be mean, abusive, and a danger to others. Someone who is stoned on pot is at worst, just out of it. And usually they just get a bad craving for the munchies while being completely peachy, delightful, agreeable, etc.

Lastly, the benefits of weed extend farther out than just medical pain relief. Hemp as a plant has all sorts of nifty applications; for instance, clothing made from hemp is MUCH cheaper than cotton (there's your first hint as to why weed remains illegal). Fun fact: the founding fathers wore clothing woven from hemp and wrote on hemp paper, among other things. I think they'd be rolling in their grave to see how the US is handling it now.

A wiki link on hemp is always useful for those who want to read more.

Capone 2010-07-23 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaijo (Post 3156113)
Alcohol is the more addictive and dangerous of the two, and yet... weed is outlawed in the US. Why?

Answer that question, and you're understanding of the world will grow. :P

As for me, I don't do either. Well, I did a little bit of drinking many years ago with two old friends of mine, but I didn't want to become barflies like they were. So I stuck to light stuff, like Rum'n'coke. And I dated a woman for awhile that really liked her wines (and smoked), but I couldn't get into that. But I don't have any plans to do either weed or alcohol.

That said, I'd like it if they made marijuana legal. What someone chooses to put in their body, or do to enjoy themselves, should be up to them, as long as it doesn't harm others. Someone who is drunk can be mean, abusive, and a danger to others. Someone who is stoned on pot is at worst, just out of it. And usually they just get a bad craving for the munchies while being completely peachy, delightful, agreeable, etc.

Lastly, the benefits of weed extend farther out than just medical pain relief. Hemp as a plant has all sorts of nifty applications; for instance, clothing made from hemp is MUCH cheaper than cotton (there's your first hint as to why weed remains illegal). Fun fact: the founding fathers wore clothing woven from hemp and wrote on hemp paper, among other things. I think they'd be rolling in their grave to see how the US is handling it now.

A wiki link on hemp is always useful for those who want to read more.

Weed is outlawed in USA because they're not ready for such a change... They work without weed, and won't take the risk of working with it. I kinda understand them, although I personally say ban alcohol and legalize weed :D

Here in Denmark, we got a free state called Christiania... Weed is illegal in Denmark, but they sell it in public there. People goes around smoking weed on the streets. They're peaceful people, living in harmony with each other and nature... The only problem is all those thugs showing up there to get their weed, and the police who constantly raids the place...

Chrisjon 2010-07-23 23:37

Overall I just find drugs to mess up your mind too much to out weigh the positives. I definitely think that alcohol is far worse then marijuana, however I just find being addicted to one thing that you HAVE TO HAVE if you can do it. I consider that unhealthy in any regard. But hey that is just me. I don't really care if you smoke weed as long as it doesn't disrupt my lifestyle.

TinyRedLeaf 2010-07-23 23:40

Quote:

That said, I'd like it if they made marijuana legal. What someone chooses to put in their body, or do to enjoy themselves, should be up to them, as long as it doesn't harm others. Someone who is drunk can be mean, abusive, and a danger to others. Someone who is stoned on pot is at worst, just out of it.

Stoned driving could be as bad, if not worse, than drink driving. So, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that smoking pot is necessarily "less dangerous" than drinking alcohol.

I'm a social drinker, which means I consume about a can of beer per week on average. That doesn't mean I literally drink that much every week; rather it's the approximate mean derived from spreading out the rough total I consume over a year.

In short, I don't drink anywhere near enough alcohol these days to cause immediate damage. Now, I used to consume more, but because I've stopped drinking regularly since college, my tolerance is no longer what it used to be. And, as a result, the last few times I drank heavily in the past three or four years, things got, ahem, messy. Since then, I've learnt my lesson — to the long-term benefit of my liver, no doubt.

As for weed, sure I've tried it, just to see it is like. But I'm not a smoker, so half the time I was choking on the joint rather than inhaling. It's a different kind of buzz compared to that from alcohol and, yes, without the nasty after effects of alcohol-induced hangovers.

So, yes, it's a good question why marijuana is banned while alcohol is not. Still, while I readily admit that I'm being hypocritical, you wouldn't find me actively campaigning to make it legal here. We all agree that smoking joints is a bad idea to begin with, however harmless it might seem in comparison to other forms of substance abuse. That being the case, I don't see why it should be made more easily available than it is today.

I might consider allowing marijuana for medicinal uses though. It would probably be a more preferable anaesthestic compared to morphine, which is so very much more addictive.

james0246 2010-07-23 23:45

Hmm, well despite Pineapple Express and Cheech and Chong, there is something almost classical about the comedic drunk, and sadly, the comedic drunk beats the modern comedic stoner any day of the week...

"Which is more humourus" is the OP question, right?

SaintessHeart 2010-07-24 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 (Post 3156086)

Damn you beat me to it.

What you said may be right, but keep in mind that these lab animals are kept in pristine habitats, unlike the average human bean in the rat race who ingest all sorts of growth hormones and chemicals that degrade their already slagged body parts, which are a result of air pollution, stress, etc.

Cannabis is a psychoactive drug. It supposedly makes the brain more active, and allows you to think more. However, in long term, the body adapts to it and thus it becomes a necessity for the brain to function : and when the brain relies on something to work, it heightens the chances of it being damaged without the presence of the drug.

The good thing that cannabis is outlawed or under stringent control. Drug use is progressive, either volumetrically or in strength once the body gets used and becomes numb to it.

Alcohol has artistic value in cocktail mixes, and can add as a finisher to meals. Since when did someone explicitly described a joint as tangy, with a little smooth at start and harsh at end?

Besides, really good joints are made from specially grown cannabis plants. The common one which the TS probably smoked is nothing as pure. ;)

P.S I don't smoke anything more than tobacco, which caused a hospitalisation for 2 weeks once, and after which, I had to force myself to kick that cuckoo habit of dependence. And no, I don't recommend anyone else take up smoking no matter how cool or social it looks, or whatever it contains.

@ TRL : I think you didn't inhale deep enough when you smoke it, or you inhaled too much at one time. You have to let the smoke go through your lungs to get the cooling feeling, but not substitute your entire breathing process with it. And no, PLEASE don't try it again.

monster 2010-07-24 00:12

Quote:

You've probably answered it right there. It's so addictive (perhaps in more than one ways) that there's not enough people that would agree to alcohol being banned. Hence why they repealed the 18th amendment. (Of course, I'm sure there are probably other factors that help as well.)

Vexx 2010-07-24 00:53

One is illegal in the US no matter what the age ... too much risk to your career, etc. It doesn't matter that weed is relatively innocuous in minor doses. For example, if my son were convicted of possession of weed, my wife would lose her license to practice pharmacy at the state's option. End of her professional career. If I were still doing defense work, I'd likely lose my security clearance. Such a scenario invokes quite a bit of family disaster.... of course, my son would just soon slug a pothead as stand near them. He finds them stupid.

The other is legal after 21 in the US but tends to bring out the unpleasant in most people if overdone.

Both can be beneficial medically in small doses... both have toxic and long term effects if heavily used.

(shrug) lobby to decriminalize weed - until then, under most circumstances you're basically an idiot to use it.

Gin 2010-07-24 00:58

@ OP: Why do I have to choose? Both are pretty awesome, and they make a good team. If I had to choose one though, I would probably choose weed because I can get high and go about my day normally, but if I start drinking, I can pretty much give up on any chance I had of doing any thing productive.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf (Post 3156147)
Stoned driving could be as bad, if not worse, than drink driving.

Anyone who says that has obviously never done either. Drunk driving is WAY more dangerous. I drive high like every single day with no problems, but I would never drive drunk (again) because of how dangerous it is.

Kudryavka 2010-07-24 01:00

This is a strange thread.

Don't do either? But alcohol hurt others.

SaintessHeart 2010-07-24 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gin (Post 3156241)
Anyone who says that has obviously never done either. Drunk driving is WAY more dangerous. I drive high like every single day with no problems, but I would never drive drunk (again) because of how dangerous it is.

Because :

1. Cannabis is illegal in Singapore. Ownership = death sentence.

2. Drink driving can get you into jail for 6 months and have your license permanently revoked. Over here we have a bloody long accreditation test to pass before having a license - and it costs around $1,000-2,000 just to take the license + course, and that is alot of money.

That is a pretty bigoted statement you made - we would certainly like to try if it wasn't for the stringent legal system. But then again, it looks more stupid to drive haphazardly (whether under the influence of drugs or alcohol or moe or whatever) since our roads are pretty heavy in traffic almost every day. So basically :

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 3156236)
(shrug) lobby to decriminalize weed - until then, under most circumstances you're basically an idiot to use it.

sergho 2010-07-24 01:29

i have a childhood friend who uses marijuana.

he uses it a lot. and he uses it more and more

when i go to see him these days, he's stoned. it's like talking to someone who is half asleep. i've stopped going to see him

we used to go fishing and backpacking. he doesn't want to do those things any more.

and then there's all that money he spends on weed that he should be spending on his wife and kids

never say that marijuana is harmless. it's pretty much robbed my friend of his life

Gin 2010-07-24 01:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintessHeart (Post 3156268)
Because :

1. Cannabis is illegal in Singapore. Ownership = death sentence.

2. Drink driving can get you into jail for 6 months and have your license permanently revoked. Over here we have a bloody long accreditation test to pass before having a license - and it costs around $1,000-2,000 just to take the license + course, and that is alot of money.

That is a pretty bigoted statement you made - we would certainly like to try if it wasn't for the stringent legal system. But then again, it looks more stupid to drive haphazardly (whether under the influence of drugs or alcohol or moe or whatever) since our roads are pretty heavy in traffic almost every day. So basically :

I don't want to get into an argument with you, but if you don't smoke weed, then why are you trying to compare how dangerous driving high would be compared to driving drunk? And I don't see how I was being a bigot.