AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Do you prefer watching anime alone or with someone? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113984)

Aeirata 2012-08-06 21:07

Do you prefer watching anime alone or with someone?

I just started watching anime again recently after a one year hiatus. I gotta say once I get started I can't stop. Most of the time I like watching by myself, but others I feel like I want to share the experience with others to show how great an anime is. I found it quite enjoyable watching with others especially when I went to Anime Expo 2012 at a screening. Anyways, what do you all think?

Triple_R 2012-08-06 21:33

Comedies I like watching with others, because laughter is best when it's a shared experience, at least in my experience. Excel Saga and Ranma ½ wouldn't have been as fun for me if I hadn't watched them with fellow anime fans.

All other anime shows I generally prefer watching alone because I admit I can be pretty picky when it comes to cutting down on noise and possible distractions while I watch a show that I take completely seriously. I'm generally not the sort of person who likes to talk about a show on a scene-by-scene basis while I watch it with somebody else.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2012-08-06 21:55

As for me, it depends on the show and depends on the person watching next to you.

For example, there’s no way I’ll invite just anyone to watch ecchi-heavy anime, except for few of my experienced anime-fan friends who’s open enough to watch that kinda show. I’ve done that and it’s so much fun! :D

And if the show is “safe” enough and has a good enough story (Ghibli’s movies are prime examples), I really want to share it with everyone.

NK_500 2012-08-06 22:05

Alone: Clannad series, Yosuga no Sora, Gundam series
With others: Any shounen and moe flicks

Archon_Wing 2012-08-06 22:17

In general, alone, unless the anime is terrible, in which case misery loves company. :3

Comedies too somehow fall under this, though I have a broad definition of comedy.

Kirito 2012-08-06 22:20

Since I live in a city where no one that I know of watches anime, I'm pretty much on my own when it comes to watching it. I do watch Hayao Miyazaki and Makoto Shinkai movies with my younger cousins whenever they visit though.

Sir Maddy 2012-08-07 03:24

I usually watch it alone.
I like to keep what I watch to myself.

NoemiChan 2012-08-07 03:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by NK_500 (Post 4293413)
Alone: Clannad series, Yosuga no Sora, Gundam series
With others: Any shounen and moe flicks

First time watching an anime series: Alone

Borderline Animes/Ecchi: Alone

Romance/ Slice of Life Animes: Alone but with a girl is good... not with a guy... sheezzz

Action/Mecha/Sports: With friends!!!!

Magical Girls Anime: Alone... needs concentration.

Akito Kinomoto 2012-08-07 09:10

Most of the anime I watch tend to either demand my attention or the type I'd be awkward watching with other people.

Alone. This is an esoteric hobby anyway. Discussions are the bonus.

greensoulreaper 2012-08-07 13:49

For me it's like a personal hobby as weird as that may sound to some of you, so I like to watch alone when I just want to relax and get away from all the commotion + stress of work, family, and school for a bit.

Liddo-kun 2012-08-08 07:22

Watch alone 99% of the time. I tend to "absorb" the story better when no one is talking to me. Prefer lending a person a copy of an anime, then he / she can watch it at their preferred time, and we can discuss later.

Only anime I remember watching with others is Lucky Star.

ahelo 2012-08-08 21:45

I usually watch alone. The only times I don't is when I try to make other people watch something.

Pink Cow 2012-08-10 07:10

I usually watch alone. But watching with others is fine too as long as they're interested.

Eragon 2012-08-10 08:46

As most people here, I too watch anime alone. The only anime I have watched with people who have no background in anime is Death Note. I just can't tolerate any disturbance when I'm watching anime - or reading a book.

Lota 2012-08-10 09:17

I usually (well, almost always) watch anime alone. Why? My reactions. While watching anime I don't refrain myself from crying, jumping around, laughing like a maniac, hitting my table with a fist, shouting random things at the screen, replaying moments I liked or didn't understand, etc. Understandably, I don't want to be seen doing that. Of course, when watching with friends, I refrain myself and that makes me feel sliiiiiiightly uncomfortable... Well then, alone it is!

DarkCntry 2012-08-10 11:06

Being among the older segment here, I generally watch anime equally alone and with my wife...no real preference except when I have my cases of insomnia and she's sound asleep :)

Ak3mi 2012-08-10 11:50

Watching series that I know many of my friends/wife will like I watch it with them. If I watch stuff like Monster or Death Note, then I watch it by myself. Just because I feel that those I don't want to be distracted when watching :P

Also I usually watch One piece and Naruto with my wife.

Windknight111 2012-08-16 20:01

If its a comedy type of anime like Baka to Test then Im willing to watch it with others. But for other genres it has to be by myself alone watching.

Jmac 2012-08-19 03:59

I watch Shin chan with my wife. Still trying convert her :D

Flame-X 2012-08-19 13:43

Mostly alone but as for comedy anime, I get more laughs when watching together with people.