AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Paradise (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=116133)

jesh462 2012-11-10 10:35

Paradise

Coldplay - Paradise
I'm sure a lot of you have heard this song and maybe even seen the video. For some reason it caught my imagination. I was wondering if there was any good anime or manga out there that went along with the lyrics or the similar storyline in the video. I've listed the lyrics below.
I feel like it could be interpreted multiple ways. The video shows a happy ending, with the "girl" finding the paradise she always wanted, if she just traveled far enough.
I think the literal meaning is more like finding a mental paradise, just the optimism to get away from your problems.
Another way to look at it is she's crushed under the wheel as it says, and basically breaks down to the point where the only happiness she finds is in her dreams.
Anyways, let me know if you think of something! :smile:

Lyrics:

When she was just a girl
She expected the world
But it flew away from her reach
So she ran away in her sleep
Dreamed of paradise
Every time she closed her eyes

When she was just a girl
She expected the world
But it flew away from her reach
And the bullets catch in her teeth

Life goes on
It gets so heavy
The wheel breaks the butterfly
Every tear, a waterfall
In the night, the stormy night
She closed her eyes
In the night, the stormy night
Away she'd fly.

And dreamed of paradise

She dreamed of paradise

So lying underneath those stormy skies.
She said oh~
I know the sun must set to rise.

This could be paradise
This could be paradise

jesh462 2012-11-21 02:40

:Friendly bump:
Can anyone think of an anime or manga like this?
If bumps aren't allowed, sorry. Feel free to delete this post.

jedinat 2012-11-21 03:34

Eh, I guess I'll throw a couple out there...

Kurau Phantom Memory - The protagonist and the beings like her (Rynax) cannot be happy apart from their counterparts, their "pair". The series is all about her reuniting with her pair after many years, protecting her and their happiness, trying not to be separated, etc... They encounter various beings that are rendered lonely/insane/etc. for being separated from their pair.... In that sense the protagonist's journey is all about her reaching her paradise, peace and happiness with her pair... In addition our world/dimension itself is something like a paradise to the Rynax...

Haibane Renmei - The characters are flightless winged beings who are living through some kind of purgatory, who have recurring dreams and must come to some sort of epiphany before they can fly beyond the wall to the next stage of their existence... I'm sure much of those lyrics could be related to the anime, lol...

jesh462 2012-11-22 05:47

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely look into both of them.

SeijiSensei 2012-11-22 09:48

Arusu wants to live in a magic-using world in Mahou Shoujotai Arusu (aka "Tweeny Witches"), and one day she gets her wish. A world of magic casters turns out to be a lot darker and more complex than her dream, though.

Nina Fortner's struggle in Monster to reveal her past and find her brother might vaguely fit, I guess. The world of Monster is pretty gritty, though, and not very paradisical.

TinyRedLeaf 2012-11-22 11:29

For shame SeijiSensei, you of all people should know which anime is the perfect fit for those lyrics. ;)

Millenium Actress

Quote:

A movie studio is being torn down. TV interviewer Gen'ya Tachibana has tracked down its most famous star, Chiyoko Fujiwara, who has been a recluse since she left acting some 30 years ago. Tachibana delivers a key to her, and it causes her to reflect on her career. As she starts telling her story, Gen'ya and his long-suffering cameraman are drawn into her memories. The key was given to Chiyoko as a teenager by a painter and revolutionary who she helped to escape the police. She became an actress to gain the freedom to track him down, and she spent the next several decades acting out her search across multiple genres and eras. The line between truth and fiction begins to blur, even as Chiyoko resumes her dream of meeting the painter again.

SeijiSensei 2012-11-22 15:20

Hey, it's a holiday over here today. My mind was on vacation!

Yes, Millennium Actress is perfect!

creb 2012-11-25 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedinat (Post 4446076)
Eh, I guess I'll throw a couple out there...

Kurau Phantom Memory - The protagonist and the beings like her (Rynax) cannot be happy apart from their counterparts, their "pair". The series is all about her reuniting with her pair after many years, protecting her and their happiness, trying not to be separated, etc... They encounter various beings that are rendered lonely/insane/etc. for being separated from their pair.... In that sense the protagonist's journey is all about her reaching her paradise, peace and happiness with her pair... In addition our world/dimension itself is something like a paradise to the Rynax...

You have no idea how twisted inside I get as I see you relate the great Kurau Phantom Memory to.....Coldplay.

/shrivelmoan

:heh:

MeoTwister5 2012-11-25 04:50

Okay so I WASN'T the only one who thought of Millenium Actress. lol

But yes, the lyrics fit the movie to a T. It's also to me the best film of the late Kon Satoshi.

jesh462 2012-11-30 04:06

Awesome! I didn't think I'd get any more replies. Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, I'll make sure to watch them all.