AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sports & Entertainment (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Ghost In The Shell Live Action movie (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=44520)

azupanda 2007-03-20 19:30

Ghost In The Shell Live Action movie

Quote:

Production I.G, Inc. has finalized with Kodansha Ltd. an agent agreement to represent the live-action rights for the property Ghost in the Shell, of which Kodansha Ltd. owns the exploitation rights to the original work.

The comic book Ghost in the Shell, originally created by Shirow Masamune in 1989, was transposed into an animated feature film in 1995, instantly earning worldwide success and topping N. 1 of Billboard Magazine video sales chart in 1996, marking an unprecedented achievement for a Japanese animated production. The movie Ghost in the Shell, directed by Mamoru Oshii, further proved to have great influence on Hollywood creators, starting from the Wachowski brothers' The Matrix.

In 2004, Mamoru Oshii directed Innocence, the ideal sequel to the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie, that thanks to its introspective plot and visionary style received the honor to be the first Japanese animated feature film to be nominated for the Palm d'Or at the Festival de Cannes.

Starting from 2002, the Ghost in the Shell franchise was expanded into a TV series, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, directed by Kenji Kamiyama. The show was certainly action-packed with high quality animation, but also featured political and social issues, and soon gained a huge following. Immediately after the first 26-episode series, a second season, entitled Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd Gig, was aired in Japan and then in several countries in the world, for a total of 52 half-hour episodes that turned into a million seller in the home video market. In 2006, a new chapter was added to the Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. project, with a theatrical-quality direct-to-video feature film entitled Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society, again directed by Kenji Kamiyama.

Pursuant to the agreement with Kodansha Ltd., Production I.G. Inc. will represent the author of the original work and the publisher in negotiations with major film companies for the production and distribution of the live-action Ghost in the Shell.
Source:
http://www.productionig.com/contents...resents_g.html

Not to sure if it's been posted, but errrm if they did end up making a live action of GITS, think it be any good?

~Panda

Drytchnath 2007-03-21 08:54

I have the sinking feeling that it will be utter crap unless it gets an enormous budget and some top tier Hollywood talent to direct it.

WanderingKnight 2007-03-21 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drytchnath
and some top tier Hollywood talent to direct it.

I have the feeling, based on past Hollywood adaptations, that it'd be utter crap if that happens.

Drytchnath 2007-03-27 19:30

Peter Jackson could pull it off(Lord of the Rings, the King Kong remake). Or maybe team Jackson up with Tarantino since he seems to love over-the-top asian action stuff.

toxic_trance 2007-03-28 00:17

well..all i would say is...they might be able to match everything...but to find a girl even 10% close to the hotness level of Motoko is going to be impossible.

Even if the movie is made well...if the MAjor isnt good enough...it just wont be the same

azupanda 2007-03-28 04:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic_trance (Post 879027)
well..all i would say is...they might be able to match everything...but to find a girl even 10% close to the hotness level of Motoko is going to be impossible.

Even if the movie is made well...if the MAjor isnt good enough...it just wont be the same

Oh so true.. If they find a crap Motoko, then the movie is 100% crap.
However, I feel if they can't find somone good enough, they won't do the movie.

~Panda

xnormx 2007-03-28 09:06

i so hope this happens - i think it could turn out brillient though i do think it may be hard to find a convincing motoko - as for directing i think it should be done by mamoru oshii. jackson sucks in my opinion

Bazaa 2007-03-28 14:28

Yeah, if they don't find the right Motoko, Ghost in the Shell wouldn't be the same....
But I can already imagine a Motoko with a purple Sailormoon-drama like wig XD

Xellos-_^ 2007-03-28 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazaa (Post 879577)
Yeah, if they don't find the right Motoko, Ghost in the Shell wouldn't be the same....
But I can already imagine a Motoko with a purple Sailormoon-drama like wig XD

How about a Utena singing and dancing musical :heh:

DonQuigleone 2008-04-15 12:55

Ghost in the Shell goes hollywood

Seems Spielberg is directing a live action version more info :http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-04-15/dreamworks-to-make-3d-live-action-ghost-in-the-shell

So who'd make a good major? I'm thinking Summer Glau

minhtam1638 2008-04-15 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquigleone (Post 1537235)
Seems Spielberg is directing a live action version more info :http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-04-15/dreamworks-to-make-3d-live-action-ghost-in-the-shell

nananananananandeyanen?

American director adapting Japanese anime? Insane...

Blaat 2008-04-15 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by minhtam2448 (Post 1537239)
American director adapting Japanese anime? Insane...

Nah its the latest Hollywood craze for more money, I believe the Dragon ball movie is almost done.

Ah well I wonder if the project goes beyond pre-production unlike Evangelion for example.

silencer.001 2008-04-15 13:46

Well, give this one a chance, we are talking about Steven Spielburg here, so it ought to be good

anyway, i am looking forward to this

KholdStare 2008-04-15 14:21

Next thing you know Hollywood will start making Dragonaut movies... But since I haven't seen GitS yet, I might find the Hollywood adaptation amazing with no expectations beforehand.

Vexx 2008-04-15 14:48

Actually... I can see Dragonaut appealing to the network execs who greenlight most garbage (man, the theaters are full of crap at the moment).

Stephen directing? or producing? He tends to be a better producer ... though he has shown he can do "gritty" or "depressing". I do know he'll spend what it takes. Ah well... it'll be a couple of years before we know.

Ryo.Massaki 2008-04-15 15:03

NOOOO!! KANEDA!!!

Ups wrong thread.
No, wait, wat?
:confused::twitch::frustrated:

Makes you want to throw up a little in your mouth, Ya?
I did.

*goes insane after imagening someone like Kate Beckinsale in the role of Major Kusanagi.

escimo 2008-04-15 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryo.Massaki (Post 1537466)
*goes insane after imagening someone like Kate Beckinsale in the role of Major Kusanagi.

Man that's a bad one... My mind is contaminated forever with that image. :uhoh:

Daughter! 2008-04-15 16:28

Why are they making movies out of this?

If you're going to make a film out of an anime, at least choose one where something actually happens.

NoSanninWa 2008-04-15 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquigleone (Post 1537235)

Absolutely not. As much as I love seeing Summer Glau in an action role, she always appears waifish and delicate even when kicking butt. The Major needs to be badass and scary.

Xellos-_^ 2008-04-15 16:55

If Linda Hamilton was 20 years younger, she might make a good Major. In T2 she certainly she had the muscles for it. Not sure about who the current crop female movie stars could do a physically demanding role like the Major.