AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Suisei no Gargantia (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Suisei no Gargantia - Character Discussion - Chamber (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=119162)

Pellissier 2013-04-24 11:04

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Chamber related.
http://forums.animesuki.com/picture....ictureid=49973
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Suisei no Gargantia fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

MrTerrorist 2013-04-24 12:14

Kyon in Robot form. :)

Dawnstorm 2013-04-24 13:09

One of the things about reading the original Gargantia thread: When people said "I like Chamber," I never actually understood that they included the robot. To me, Chamber has always been the AI and Ledo and Chamber together piloted the robot (which is unnamed).

I can't remember which post opened my eyes. And now, of course, there's the picture on top of this thread.

Kirarakim 2013-04-24 14:10

Chamber is the mecha but he is also an AI. Usually the mecha doesn't talk but the hero will still talk to the mecha.

Gargantia is just giving the mecha an actual voice.

Utsuro no Hako 2013-04-24 16:46

If Chamber is as smart as he seems, why does he need a pilot?

ReddyRedWolf 2013-04-24 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako (Post 4651680)

Cause humans don't want an AI revolt on top of an alien menace? :uhoh:

Kirarakim 2013-04-24 17:00

Quote:

He isn't though and still needs human guidance when something out of the ordinary happens.

ThereminVox 2013-04-24 17:21

Quote:

What's that idiom? "A computer is a very fast idiot."

Jan-Poo 2013-04-24 18:51

Chamber does show some difficulties at understanding human logic. For example he doesn't understand why Ledo doesn't simply subdue the whole fleet and after Ledo returns from his massacre Chamber comments that the Gargantians' reaction defies any logic.

I suppose that the alliance doesn't want to entrust its weapons to AI alone, it wants a human mind to make the important decisions. Judging by their chosen symbol then, it seems that they glorify humans which probably means that they don't trust anything else may that be robots or other lifeforms.

p-kun 2013-04-24 19:46

Quote:

My impression from the 3 episodes is that Chamber is in charge of weaponry, while Ledo is in charge of steering. Check ep 1 when Ledo steers the mech out of instant death.

Utsuro no Hako 2013-04-24 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirarakim (Post 4651701)
He isn't though and still needs human guidance when something out of the ordinary happens.

He needs guidance when dealing with humans, but he's not really designed for that -- he's supposed to be a weapons platform that carries out a tactical plan in conjunction with other weapon's platforms in order to deliver maximal firepower at a selected target. Given how badly the humans screwed up in the first episode, I don't see what they added to the fight that Chamber and his brethren couldn't've handled on their own. If human supervision is necessary for handling contingencies, they could have one pilot commanding a wing of unmanned mechs.

NoemiChan 2013-04-24 20:32

A robot diplomat/liguist

Kirarakim 2013-04-24 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako (Post 4651932)
He needs guidance when dealing with humans, but he's not really designed for that -- he's supposed to be a weapons platform that carries out a tactical plan in conjunction with other weapon's platforms in order to deliver maximal firepower at a selected target. Given how badly the humans screwed up in the first episode, I don't see what they added to the fight that Chamber and his brethren couldn't've handled on their own. If human supervision is necessary for handling contingencies, they could have one pilot commanding a wing of unmanned mechs.

I don't know about you but I don't think I would want an AI in control of that type of destructive power.

backbone 2013-04-24 21:13

Based on what i've watched so far, Chamber seems only capable of thinking logically but not emotionally, hence his confusion about the reaction of people on Gargantia after massacring entire pirates. And perhaps he needs a human pilot to make up for it

lightbringer 2013-04-26 06:00

Chamber needs a human component to provide lateral thinking and decision making. You don't leave that up entirely to a machine, unless you want to actually lose the war.

Patriot's Blade 2013-04-26 22:37

still waiting for somebody to replace Chamber's mannerisms with Kyon or Gintoki's for the sake of LOLing around......

Raviel 2013-04-27 00:29

I don't think Chamber's mannerisms need any changing, there's already a ton of potential humor with his current attitude. :heh:

Patriot's Blade 2013-04-27 01:44

anyone else expects him to sing like this during all of those serious moments? (such as the life & death situations?)

:uhoh::heh:

Marly 2013-04-28 23:46

I'm actually curious as to whether Chamber prioritizes his own pilot or the Galactic Alliance.

Raviel 2013-04-29 02:12

He's an interface meant to support pilots so I think it would only be logical that he prioritizes the survival of the pilot. Chamber also makes several suggestions to Ledo on how to best get through their predicament when they first land on Earth and all of them had to do with preserving the pilot's life.