AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L+CR) Toji no Miko (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=148201)

Stark700 2017-05-15 04:13

Toji no Miko

http://i.imgur.com/y6Y82Sn.jpg?1

An original anime titled 'Toji no Miko' revealed.

Premise:
Quote:

In the anime's story, since ancient times, shrine maidens who wield swords have been exorcising "aratama," strange existences that threaten the human world. These young women who wear school uniforms and a sword are called "Toji," and they serve as an official unit within the police force as a "special religious service police squad." The government authorizes the Toji to wear swords and serve as government officials, and the government has set up five schools throughout the country for the girls to attend. The girls live ordinary school lives, while occasionally performing their duties, wielding their swords and using various powers to fight and protect the people. In the spring, the five schools send their best Toji to compete in a tournament. As the tournament comes closer, all of the representatives rigorously train themselves in order to get stronger and improve their skills.
Staff
Director: Koudai Kakimoto
Series Composition: Tatsuya Takahashi
Character Designs: Yoshinori Shizuma
Studio: Gokumi

Official site:
tojinomiko.jp
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...roject/.116120

Stark700 2017-05-26 04:16

Character Designs:

Stark700 2017-05-28 08:14

Character description info:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...acters/.116699

Stark700 2017-06-09 05:44

More character designs..

http://tojinomiko.jp/?chara=5#chara_wrapper

Stark700 2017-08-10 20:09

Preview. Coming for Winter 2018

Izayoi Sakamaki 2017-10-13 04:39

2 cour annonced https://twitter.com/tojinomiko/statu...63491938439168

Stark700 2017-12-01 04:03

CM video

Stark700 2017-12-13 04:16

Preview #2

Stark700 2017-12-14 16:19

Crunchyroll will stream it

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...ix-more-titles

LKK 2017-12-14 18:18

Funimation will simuldub.

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2017...w-winter-2017/

Stark700 2017-12-28 20:05

Preview #3

Stark700 2018-01-05 10:29

Dang, that was an intense start for the episode. It didn't take long for the episode to get straight into the action and fighting.

I think first episode is fine so far. Kanami Etou is cute and the show protrays her with a bright personality.

Hiyori is a pretty cool girl from her appearance and talent so far. There's some fan service with the baths but I'm not bothered by it. Hiyori is the character that impressed me but she still has a lot to learn.

I hope the pacing slows down a bit though...feels like a lot happened from just the first episode.

Still, this is a 2-cour so it should have plenty of time to develop the story, hopefully.

wuhugm 2018-01-05 11:30

Move this to current series please~

Good stuff

Though it's another "Cute Girls Doing Brave Things"

The "Eradicate Males from Anime" is going smoothly I guess~

Mistyclear 2018-01-05 13:31

^There was such a movement?!
Not that I’m really all that surprised.
I take it they’re going to explain why she randomly attacked the older woman...forgot her name... in subsequent episodes, and why the main lead just kind of randomly helped her.

Random Wanderer 2018-01-05 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuhugm (Post 6182491)
The "Eradicate Males from Anime" is going smoothly I guess~

I approve of this movement!

Quote:

I take it theyíre going to explain why she randomly attacked the older woman...forgot her name... in subsequent episodes, and why the main lead just kind of randomly helped her.
Well, the bit where she walked into an empty house while saying "I'm home", made a comment about it having been cleaned out and exclaimed the name of that head family that the older woman is the leader of, seems to be a fairly big clue to me. She believes the Origami family is responsible for doing something to her family (probably killing them, because that's traditional in these cases) and wants to get revenge.

Haak 2018-01-05 14:34

So er...did the MC just decide to be an accomplice to an attempted murderer for some stupid arse reason?

I don't think I'll be continuing with this one. One "Cute Girls Doing" show is enough for me and I found this one largely boring.

wuhugm 2018-01-05 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistyclear (Post 6182632)
^There was such a movement?!
Not that I’m really all that surprised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Wanderer (Post 6182634)
I approve of this movement!

It has gotten so bad that that the viewers can't handle their anime waifus to be sullied even by it's own Male MC!

Not only idols must stay clean now, even fictional characters must not be contaminated

Same case with husbandos counterpart

Man... This is too much
I can understand if people don't want NTR or reipu
But to just erase the other gender altogether...
Are we in the twilight zone?

Calling it now, the end of humanity will be like their end in Kurogane no Linebarrels
Spoiler for Humanity's Downfall:

bakato 2018-01-05 15:02

For a girls x swords cliche, the production values are impressive.

MisaoFan 2018-01-05 15:05

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Random Wanderer 2018-01-05 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuhugm (Post 6182648)
It has gotten so bad that that the viewers can't handle their anime waifus to be sullied even by it's own Male MC!

Not only idols must stay clean now, even fictional characters must not be contaminated

Same case with husbandos counterpart

Man... This is too much
I can understand if people don't want NTR or reipu
But to just erase the other gender altogether...
Are we in the twilight zone?

Calling it now, the end of humanity will be like their end in Kurogane no Linebarrels
Spoiler for Humanity's Downfall:

No, I don't like males in anime because they're almost all unlikeable. Male anime characters overwhelmingly have personalities that make them worthless as characters, and a complete waste of screentime. I have no desire to have them wasting space that could be devoted to someone more interesting.

Wandering Soul 2018-01-05 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haak (Post 6182647)
So er...did the MC just decide to be an accomplice to an attempted murderer for some stupid arse reason?

Pretty much. I'm just as baffled as you are.

Random Wanderer 2018-01-05 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wandering Soul (Post 6182677)
Pretty much. I'm just as baffled as you are.

In case you didn't gather it from the rest of her characterization, she's the sort of person who acts on impulse rather than taking the time to carefully consider the consequences of things before making a move. She felt an emotional connection to Hiyori, so she protected her from being killed. I doubt the consequences of doing so even entered her mind until afterward.

Kakurin 2018-01-05 16:58

This is two-cour? Colour me quite surprised. Usually don't see anime with such a setting as two-cour. Found the execution of the first episode to be somewhat shoddy. But giving it another episode or two. Animation quality was solid though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Wanderer (Post 6182676)
No, I don't like males in anime because they're almost all unlikeable. Male anime characters overwhelmingly have personalities that make them worthless as characters, and a complete waste of screentime. I have no desire to have them wasting space that could be devoted to someone more interesting.

The setting is similar to a lot of harem series. Considering that 90% of those feature the same generic cut-out male MC, not really a big loss.

serenade_beta 2018-01-05 19:01

Spoiler for ep1:

Tiberium Wolf 2018-01-05 19:15

Is it me or the art is low budget? So many places with horrible drawings.

wuhugm 2018-01-05 20:17

^Better than Grancrest

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Wanderer (Post 6182676)

The hetare males should be erased, not all males :heh:

Marcus H. 2018-01-05 20:23

This show tickles my "information gathering" side. There's information in the site that details each of the characters' sword names and fighting styles.

To those interested, I might hijack a wiki (http://toji-no-miko.wikia.com) and add some details there.

Kanami's Okatana is called Chidori, a rather short blade with a pronounced backward curve. When swung, the tip of the sword leaves a white trail as if the path of the blade is heated. She utilizes the Yagyu Shinkage-Ryu (a Japanese fencing style), a swordmanship style learned by future shoguns during the Edo period. The style focuses on "reading the opponent's movements and thoughts and attain victory", and shines in clashes. Also, a branch of this school, called "Bladeless Reaping", was known in folklore for "controlling the enemy without using a sword".

Random Wanderer 2018-01-05 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus H. (Post 6182767)
This show tickles my "information gathering" side. There's information in the site that details each of the characters' sword names and fighting styles.

To those interested, I might hijack a wiki (http://toji-no-miko.wikia.com) and add some details there.

Kanami's Okatana is called Chidori, a rather short blade with a pronounced backward curve. When swung, the tip of the sword leaves a white trail as if the path of the blade is heated. She utilizes the Yagyu Shinkage-Ryu (a Japanese fencing style), a swordmanship style learned by future shoguns during the Edo period. The style focuses on "reading the opponent's movements and thoughts and attain victory", and shines in clashes. Also, a branch of this school, called "Bladeless Reaping", was known in folklore for "controlling the enemy without using a sword".

Oho? Interesting.

If you could set up a wiki I'd be interested to read what there is to know.

Nivek von Beldo 2018-01-05 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuhugm (Post 6182766)
^Better than Grancrest

That is not excatly a big bar to jump...

Marcus H. 2018-01-06 04:53

Finally watched episode 1 and I feel like the show reminds me of chanbara, but with girls and a convenient way of keeping the girls alive after clashing with holy swords. Now we don't know much about the conflict between the Origami and Juujou families, but it could be anything from the Origamis taking credit for something that the Juujous should have taken or something related to the role of the Origamis in okatana oversight.

I'll be watching this show closely, hopefully catching every piece of info that's useful and hopefully seeing some cooperation from the admin of the Toji no Miko Wiki.

For a teaser,

Utsushi (Duplicate) is the greatest defensive technique and a basic combat technique used by Toji. This technique uses the Toji's okatana as an intermediary to temporarily transform one's body into an energy-like state. While Utsushi is active, in exchange for a slight feeling of pain and mental fatigue, any damage by users can be received by the Utsushi instead. The Utsushi partially disappears upon taking damage and the user momentarily loses bodily function; otherwise, the original body cannot take damage unless the Utsushi is cancelled.

Jin'i (Swift Movement) is an offensive Toji technique. Using the okatana as an intermediary, the user moves at high speeds that deviate from normal time. The flow of time in the underworld moves at different speeds based on various layers, thus reaching the deeper layers would allow higher-level Jin'i to move users at faster speeds than others. Those who undergo intense training are able to reach the deeper layers.

Marina2 2018-01-06 05:59

Is Okatana the same type of sword as Katana?

Kakurin 2018-01-06 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina2 (Post 6182889)
Is Okatana the same type of sword as Katana?

There is literally no difference. It's the same as the "difference" between osushi / sushi.

Marcus H. 2018-01-06 08:21

Okatana translates more closely as "honorable sword", considering how the okatana are made makes it understandable.

Kakurin 2018-01-06 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus H. (Post 6182932)
Okatana translates more closely as "honorable sword", considering how the okatana are made makes it understandable.

The "honourable" is implied by the 御 as a function of polite speech, but nobody would translate it as "honourable sword" just as nobody would translate goryōshin as "honourable parents".

Marcus H. 2018-01-06 09:26

Using "sword" as the translation of okatana seems boring, lol.

Faux Mecha 2018-01-06 10:13

so this series is basically Ao no Exorcist but without the son of Satan who is just a nice guy & his merry friends, a tournament arc rubbed in your face in the 1st episode, with characters look like hybrids between Kancolle & Touken Ranbu, okay?

MisaoFan 2018-01-06 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf (Post 6182752)
Is it me or the art is low budget? So many places with horrible drawings.

Dunno, they don't even look that bad if the overall art quality of the episode is anything to go by, and having a shot showing faceless characters from the camera apart is irrelevant to the average viewer's eyes unless they pay close attention to it. That thing is standard in most seasonal anime, I mean can't you say the same thing about others?

Random Wanderer 2018-01-06 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakurin (Post 6182891)
There is literally no difference. It's the same as the "difference" between osushi / sushi.

They are using "okatana" deliberately though, to indicate these specific types of swords. They aren't something just anyone can make or use, and they aren't just ordinary katanas.

Marcus H. 2018-01-06 18:54

On the topic of okatana...

Okatana (honorable swords) are Japanese swords manufactured from refined tamahagane (珠鋼, different kanji from 玉鋼), a rare metal entrusted by divinity. By invoking the otherworld known as Inyo (隠世, lit., "afterlife, realm of the dead"), various paranormal powers can be drawn out, a feat that no one aside from Toji can perform. Okatana also serve as unique weapons used against Aradama.

Fnights 2018-01-07 15:53

Not bad, i hear is listed as a 2 cour anime, good thing since i really like battle show with swords, also the cast is good and female only (maybe will have some yuri too). :D