AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

SoranGTR 2006-10-06 14:21

I just showed my friend the article on MG Strike Freedom. His wallet will be on fire for quite a while (This is a guy that bought the HG 1/144, 1/100 and the Lightning Edition of the Strike Freedom, go figure...:eyespin: :eyespin: :eyespin: )

Clem_Master_Janitor 2006-10-06 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by McChar
are these bandai or garage kits?

I'm not sure exactly. Might be garaged. Was hoping some one had a clue here. I've been asking around, making the rounds from model forums to gundam-ish forums and I just can't get much info.

Clem_Master_Janitor 2006-10-06 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by kct
Those are (most likely) garage conversion kits.

What's the odds those kits are any good?

Okay, I take that back. They're B-club conversion kits. Some one just pointed it out to me on another message board and at the price they're asking on this site, it's a steal. Some of them are almost $20-40 cheaper from HLJ's price listings. Of course their FA-78-1 conversion kits looks awesome, if you have $118 dollars to spend on the kit alone. Too bad they discontinued the Shiki Kai Production version. Always a bummer but what can a person do? At least I have a lot more information then I went into this with.

Any info on how hard resin kits are to work with versus the standard model kit plastic? Or is 'resin' a fancy way to say 'plastic' so they can tag on a few extra bucks?

dodgethis_sg 2006-10-06 19:10

Hobby Fan sells nothing but garage kits ie not from B-club. Kinda like bootlegs.

Resin is a completely new monster from polystyrene.

Cody's site here pretty much details on how to work with it. Sure, this site is for figures but the basics are there.

http://codyscoop.com/howto.html

One more thing about buying garage kits. These repops usually have little to no QC. After the first few moldings, resins molds (made of silicone) start to wear out and have problems like disfiguring, meaning that the subsequent runs will not be as good as the originals. Sometimes, it's worth buying the originals.

M_Flores 2006-10-06 20:07

Hmm... perhaps those option parts would be like how Destiny and Strike Freedom no-grade 1/100s got extra joints? Not like an MG needs extra joints anyway... I'm really curious to what they'll be!
Nevertheless, I'm am dead set gonna fucking pay 7000y for this shit, being the ultimate Kira/Freedom fanboy out - I still do NOT own any of the Freedom gunplas at all yet - so this MG Strike Freedom will have to be my prime model kit - so I better get the best out of it!

LightningZERO 2006-10-07 10:15

I really hate MG's hands. It's cool since the fingers can move (well, not all) but those hands can't really grab the weapons. This is the case with my Crossbone Gundam. I have to use double side tape instead to make him hold his Beam Zamber...

Clem_Master_Janitor 2006-10-07 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgethis_sg (Post 698464)
Hobby Fan sells nothing but garage kits ie not from B-club. Kinda like bootlegs.

Resin is a completely new monster from polystyrene.

Cody's site here pretty much details on how to work with it. Sure, this site is for figures but the basics are there.

http://codyscoop.com/howto.html

One more thing about buying garage kits. These repops usually have little to no QC. After the first few moldings, resins molds (made of silicone) start to wear out and have problems like disfiguring, meaning that the subsequent runs will not be as good as the originals. Sometimes, it's worth buying the originals.

Thanks for the info. It explains a lot.

Meehlimo 2006-10-07 10:49

Maybe MG strike freedoms special option is something from the new movie comming out just a guess tho.

amc 2006-10-07 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meehlimo (Post 699143)
Maybe MG strike freedoms special option is something from the new movie comming out just a guess tho.

Im not quite sure if any body got what i said earlier...but....1/100 Freedom stinks so bad that I had a better time putting together 1/144 Heavyarms Custom! anybody agree?

Meehlimo 2006-10-07 21:54

I hope you dont mean the MG freedom thats one very well made model everything is how it should be on that kit.

SNT1 2006-10-07 21:58

the MG Freedom is a nice kit, but only if its on its stand. Damn thing can't stand up properly due to uber back-heavy wings.

MG WZC suffers the same back-heaviness, but its wings are long enough that the tips can make for a pseudo-stand.

amc 2006-10-07 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meehlimo (Post 699747)
I hope you dont mean the MG freedom thats one very well made model everything is how it should be on that kit.

Nope regualar 1/100...it sucks.

Shinji103 2006-10-08 00:03

I think all MGs should come with stands. Seriously. Models have only so much poseability on the ground, but they have full useage of their poseability on a stand. I know that there are model stands sold seperately, but it would be much more convenient if the MGs themselves came with plastic stands.

But then, there are several things that I think they should do for MGs that they probably will never do. Like making MG versions of the Launcher and Sword Strikers, instead of leaving us with having to get those overpriced B-Club parts that let us connect the regular HG 1/100 Sword and Launcher packs to the MG Strike. With that setup, you have to get three different kits plus the expensive B-Club parts to have all three modes of the Strike on your MG. And the Sword and Launcher packs won't even be MG quality. (the MG version of the Aile pack is soooo much better looking the HG 1/100 version or even the 1/60 version) Bleh.

SNT1 2006-10-08 00:15

I dont like stands as much. It jacks up the $$$. thats just me, of course, as some people want to save the trouble of buying a good stand on HLJ...

...but I can't stand the Raflessia on the F91 >.<;;

duotiga 2006-10-08 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNT1 (Post 699882)
I dont like stands as much. It jacks up the $$$. thats just me, of course, as some people want to save the trouble of buying a good stand on HLJ...

...but I can't stand the Raflessia on the F91 >.<;;

i dont mind forking out more for the stand....guess to individual preferences.....

i also cant stand F91 stand also - -

Shinji103 2006-10-08 00:23

I've never been able to find any MG-use stands though, the ones I can find on HLJ are called mini stands and the decriptions say they're for HGUCs.

SNT1 2006-10-08 00:24

Heh, I actually thought the 1/100 GSD stands are pretty neat (prty colors o.o), maybe because its free if you order the 1st batch on the japanese stores; the NA stores mark up the 1st.ed so much (as high as 14 bucks!)

DarkWarrior 2006-10-08 00:25

I don't mind simple stands that don't add too much to the price. Like Freedom's stand, or Wing Zero.

But I can't stand it when Bandai goes "LOLZ HUGE DISPLAY STAND FTW" and includes something ridiculous.. like Zeta 2.0's Argama catapult deck. Those things really jack up the price. Not to mention they take up a lot of space.

M_Flores 2006-10-08 00:28

IMO, stands are a must. It's the ultimate accessory for displaying purposes.
You can do many more 'in flight' poses on a stand than you can with the kit without one. In fact, although it might never happen, I'd wish stands became standard issue for all the kits by default.

But yeah, normal 1/100 Freedom as well as normal 1/100 Strike Freedom are horribly disproportioned. Their wings are tiny and they joints are fat. 1/100 Destiny was really good though - the proportions were a little close to almost being MG quality.

Oh, btw, F91 stand looks gay. Though it makes sense canon-wise, it just looks awkward when you look at it on display. Its as if F91 is flying over a giant tomato with wires (raflessia).

I think more main AU mechas should get MG treatments, like XX, Wing Zero (no ver. ka, no endless waltz, just Wing Zero from the show with birdmode), and at least an MG Turn A Gundam or some thing. The CE series got their flagship MS's MG'ed, I think the other AU's would be cool too.

Shinji103 2006-10-08 00:37

And don't forget MG V2 A/B!

With the release of the MG F-91, Victory is now the only UC animated production without an MG. Heck, even Crossbone and Sentinel got MGs despite being manga series-es. I think they might release MG Victory before MG V2, though.

And yes, MG Double X, normal Wing Zero, and Turn A would rock. :)