AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sports & Entertainment (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Dredd (2012) - new Judge Dredd film (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112900)

MrTerrorist 2012-06-22 05:19

Dredd (2012) - new Judge Dredd film

The trailer for the new Judge Dredd movie is out.

GuidoHunter_Toki 2012-06-22 09:42

oh yeah totally pumped for this movie since I'm a huge fan of the comics. Hopefully it turns out better than that subpar film starring Stallone. Although from the sounds of it this Dredd has a bad case of Batman Bale syndrom with that voice of his.:heh:

Mr. DJ 2012-06-22 11:41

*squee*

it definitely looks better and lacks a certain Rob person...

monir 2012-06-23 05:12

That's a lot of slow-mo! :p Not exactly sure how I should feel about this remake. I'm, however, eagerly waiting for the Expendable 2. :)

synaesthetic 2012-06-23 17:11

IP necromancy...

It hasn't even been that long since we had the Stallone movie...

Doesn't this also kind of miss the entire point of the comic, which is that Dredd is not a good guy by any stretch of the imagination? And now the trailer is portraying him as a hero cop against a drug lord.

Vexx 2012-06-23 17:18

Well... it does look like it won't be campy... just leaving us wondering why the woman doesn't have a freaking helmet on.. :)

synaesthetic 2012-06-23 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 4221055)
Well... it does look like it won't be campy... just leaving us wondering why the woman doesn't have a freaking helmet on.. :)

I wouldn't describe the comic as campy, but it definitely had a lot of dark humor, and this looks plenty dark... without the humor.

james0246 2012-06-23 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic (Post 4221044)
IP necromancy...

It hasn't even been that long since we had the Stallone movie...

Stallone's film came out 17 years ago. That's almost an entire generation (depending on where you are in the world).

Quote:

Doesn't this also kind of miss the entire point of the comic, which is that Dredd is not a good guy by any stretch of the imagination? And now the trailer is portraying him as a hero cop against a drug lord.

It depends if the film is R-rated or not. If Dredd is R-rated, then I expect we will get to see more of the anti-hero fascist from the comics. Otherwise, he will simply be another Dirty Harry clone (which isn't necessarily bad).

I did like seeing Lena Headey as the bad guy (seeing any female character as a lead antagonist is always fun). I guess her time as Cersei has changed her career path. Here is hoping we see more badass-and-evil Lena in the future.

Mr. DJ 2012-06-23 18:13

It's R-rated :D

Sumeragi 2012-06-23 20:03

Quote:

I think not. I see a more grimy fascist anti-hero going against the being that disturbs the order of "Justice".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 4221055)
just leaving us wondering why the woman doesn't have a freaking helmet on.. :)

Probably because the white helmet would be too easy to notice and shoot at.

Master_Yoma 2012-06-23 21:40

Look dumb ill stick with the Stallone one

Vexx 2012-06-24 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumeragi (Post 4221194)
I think not. I see a more grimy fascist anti-hero going against the being that disturbs the order of "Justice".

Probably because the white helmet would be too easy to notice and shoot at.

Let's see :) ... bullet resistant helmet of any color versus shiny blond hair.... hmmm. I'm going to call "movie magic" on that one. I think it'd be more interesting to have her act with a helmet on (recalls the pilot in the "Aliens" movie who scored hugely behind a full flight helmet with goggles).

Endless Soul 2012-06-24 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 4221517)
Let's see :) ... bullet resistant helmet of any color versus shiny blond hair.... hmmm. I'm going to call "movie magic" on that one.

On top of that, she's a rookie. Or, at least Dredd calls her a rookie. Looks interesting, I like the gritty look, but I think I like Stallone's voice better. Also interesting that the drug lord is a woman.

Endless "Judge, jury, and executioner" Soul

james0246 2012-09-21 17:34

What a surpisingly fun and even good film. Tight pacing, good editing, wonderful sound and visual designs, expert 3d with great and relevant slow motion effects (one of the first times I've seen slow motion used to actually advance and enhance the plot of a 3d film), and great soundtrack all combine together to give us the basis for a good film. But it is the relatively understated and downright smart script and acting that turns this from merely a good action film to a truly great genre experience. And I can't stress enough just how much fun it is to see mostly realized female characters stand on equal footing with the supremely masculine Judge Dredd. What a wonderful surpise of a film. 80/100.

Sumeragi 2012-09-21 17:37

So basically, better than the other one starring Sylvester Stallone?

james0246 2012-09-21 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumeragi (Post 4362867)
So basically, better than the other one starring Sylvester Stallone?

To say it is merely better would be like saying apples are merely better than dog feces. There is no competetion.

Vexx 2012-09-21 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 4362863)
What a surpisingly fun and even good film. Tight pacing, good editing, wonderful sound and visual designs, expert 3d with great and relevant slow motion effects (one of the first times I've seen slow motion used to actually advance and enhance the plot of a 3d film), and great soundtrack all combine together to give us the basis for a good film. But it is the relatively understated and downright smart script and acting that turns this from merely a good action film to a truly great genre experience. And I can't stress enough just how much fun it is to see mostly realized female characters stand on equal footing with the supremely masculine Judge Dredd. What a wonderful surpise of a film. 80/100.

Glad to hear that... maybe I'll put it back on the list.

And no, the Stallone version was.... 8P

NoemiChan 2012-09-21 18:43

Wow, they got infinite ammo.

GuidoHunter_Toki 2012-09-21 22:03

Quote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Very great fun movie that stayed true to the comic form. Karl Urban was perfect as Dredd (you could feel the constant anger behind him). They perfectly captured the dystopian city as well.

monir 2012-09-22 00:22

Quote:

I think I've got a opening this weekend for a run to the theater. After your take, I'm really looking forward to this!