AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What program do you use for viewing Manga? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=17950)

Tsu 2004-07-30 17:43

I use a Chinese program called ComicsViewer (the English version, mind you)
It loads images as fast as ACDSee (note that one of my major gripes with CDisplay and the standard WinXP image viewer is that they're far too slow), has bookmarking features, supports ZIP and RAR files and when you start the program, it loads the image you last left off at. Also, because it's program made for reading Asian comics, when an image is larger than the screen, it begins at the upperright part of the image, rather than the center or the upperleft part.

Takayanagi 2004-07-31 01:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roots
I hate the Windows XP image viewer. Its not customizable in the least bit, and even worse sometimes the damn thing crashes on me. Of course I only use it when I'm on other people's computers though, because I don't run Windows.

Personally, I use GQView. Its the best image viewer I've ever used and I never once had an issue with it. Here are some links:

Homepage

Screenshots

Currently its only available for Linux, so if you are using another O/S too bad but you're missing out. :)

I agree. Currently happily reading I''s with my beloved gqview.

Bandersnatch 2004-07-31 16:16

Firegraphic 6, does everything I want it to do in terms of reading manga. No 30 day trial like acdsee either, completely free unless you want added features like cd burning.

ShikaShika 2004-07-31 16:42

I use ACDSee as many others, but I find it a bit heavy on the memory side. That might be because I often store tons of chapters in the same directory and it takes a while to cache them. The built in image viewer in XP is way better at this point (virtually no caching required at all, or what the hell else it is ACDSee is doing), but for the life of me I can't seem to be able to get full screen.

[Tries out the program a little.]

Oh... well I found it. Ok, I'm never using ACDSee again. Kickass.

Niels 2004-08-01 10:00

I used to use CDisplay or something like that, now i just use the basic Windows XP image viewer. Its not that good but o well :)

Wolki 2004-08-01 22:42

I use GQview too... really a great Program, if you run Linux it's probably the best viewer you can have. used to use IrfanView which is great too, for a while i even ran it under Linux with wine :) I also tried Kuickshow, didn't like it that much.

the only bad thing about Irfan and GQview is that both can't be used to display directly from zips... but i can live with that.

babbito2k 2004-08-01 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolki
...IrfanView...

Haven't used anything else for years. It's fast, reliable and has a lot of neat features. It's also free as the breeze and has been assiduously supported and updated for over 5 years.

Ending 2004-08-02 08:11

ImageEye. It's just a simple program to view any kind of images, real fast. With Mozilla you always have to wait a bit for the browser to load, so this has been my solution to it. Plus, ImageEye can view the images like slide-shows and in full-screen. ;)

Loki-sama 2004-08-11 15:57

What I do is I open Adobe Acrobat and create a new pdf with the images and save them either by chapter or by volume, depending on how I got the files. Works just fine for me even though there is a little work involved.

dreamless 2004-08-11 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by babbito2k
Haven't used anything else for years. It's fast, reliable and has a lot of neat features. It's also free as the breeze and has been assiduously supported and updated for over 5 years.

one problem (and a very annoying one) I find about IrfanView is that when viewing large pictures more than the size of the screen, the picture scrolling is VERY choppy...

Hmm... can any program mentioned above other than ComicsViewer do stuff like viewing images inside zip files and rar files and even inside multiple folders in those archive files? and scroll images across multiple sub folders and things?

hunterx 2004-08-11 22:55

I use a program that I coded on my own. It's sorta like cdisplay but less crappy. The files are stored in a zip file with an included xml file that has all the filenames in the correct order. When the program opens the zip file it generates thumbnails of all the pages on the side. If you click on them it shows them in the main windows. It has a few resizing options I prefer when reading manga and a nasty memory leak :)

But I like it because all the files are in a zip file and indexed so it's great for sorting and reading complete volumes. not so great for reading chapters. I use the winxp picture viewer for that

whyrph 2004-08-11 23:28

I use a little linux program called zgv. It's really nice and even works in framebuffer. Gives you a nice window from which you can browse around, look at thumbnails, and select a picture to view. All with keyboard. Then you just hit Enter to go to the next image, or backspace to go back. Simplicity == good.

Roots 2004-08-11 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by whyrph
I use a little linux program called zgv. It's really nice and even works in framebuffer. Gives you a nice window from which you can browse around, look at thumbnails, and select a picture to view. All with keyboard. Then you just hit Enter to go to the next image, or backspace to go back. Simplicity == good.

Sounds alot like GQView to me....:D

Nezumi 2004-08-12 14:17

I dont really download Manga, actually i really hate to read manga on my comp. Anime is ok but reading Manga on my Computer just ruines the feelling...

Animizzle 2004-08-13 09:52

why...mangaviewer ofcourse ~_~~

www.toriyamaworld.com

Cruzz 2004-08-13 10:06

Mangaviewer when it works*, Irfanview otherwise.

Mangaviewer is really really picky about what kind of things it'll display. If the zip file has a text file, crash. If the pictures are too big, crash. If the zip has folders in it, crash. I guess I should look for another viewer that supports RAR/ZIP files a bit better :)

dreamless 2004-08-13 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruzz
Mangaviewer when it works*, Irfanview otherwise.

Mangaviewer is really really picky about what kind of things it'll display. If the zip file has a text file, crash. If the pictures are too big, crash. If the zip has folders in it, crash. I guess I should look for another viewer that supports RAR/ZIP files a bit better :)

you can give ComicsViewer a try. ;)

PS: great sig :cool:

Liquidus 2004-08-13 12:09

CDisplay, albeit it doesn't read images as fast as Comic Viewer or ACDsee (it still reads pretty fast, a little faster then Windows XP Picture Viewer), I like the features that it has.

*spoilers* (if you haven't seen Inui's match)

I set it up to where single pages are displayed like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...inglePages.jpg

And double pages like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...oublePages.jpg

On the double pages you don't need to scroll but scrolling up/down changes the page. Single pages scrolling up or down scrolls up or down the page. Once at the top/bottom of a page scrolling a little more changes the page. Those menus aren't there unless you right click. You read through the manga using only the scroll on the mouse. If a .txt file comes with the manga then CDisplay reads that at the beginning. My comp resolution 1152 x 864 so images may be big.

byis 2004-08-29 06:32

Favorite software for scanned Manga?

Was Alseep Disregard :-)

Onibaba 2004-08-29 18:02

Irfan Viewer here