AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Umineko (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   [Anime] Umineko no Naku Koro ni - General Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=68713)

Freelii 2009-06-27 14:15

This just occured to me but....

...what about violence censorship? I'm sure we all remember the big black shadows from Higurashi. Will any stations air this show uncensored? If the manga is anything to go by, some scenes could be rather horrific.

MayumiHime 2009-06-27 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freelii (Post 2475981)
...what about violence censorship? I'm sure we all remember the big black shadows from Higurashi. Will any stations air this show uncensored? If the manga is anything to go by, some scenes could be rather horrific.

I really don't know but I don't want to see those black shadows again. -_- And I don't think that Umineko is too horrific. (Omg, I'm not normal. xD)
For me Anime are just some pictures, but real horror films? I can't even watch one. :uhoh:

Pleeeaase, no big black shadows. -___- ... Umineko is too great to be ruined like that.

Jan-Poo 2009-06-27 14:23

I expect a compromise between gruesome scenes and censor, kinda like Higurashi.

Quote:

And I don't think that Umineko is too horrific.
Wow, what is horrific according to your tastes?

Serpit 2009-06-27 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan-Poo (Post 2475850)
So at this point it is almost certain they'll do all the question arc since Ep1 will be 5 episodes.

Repeating what I previously said, I don't know if it was in this thread or somewhere else: It's not explicitely stated that the fifth episode will be the end of the first arc - The quote is just about Episode 5 being the first in which Beatrice gets to speak. If we assume that the Tea Parties are being animated, then they might fill up Episode 6.

I am mainly trying to be optimistic here, but Episode 2 got more content that's not cut-worthy like Episode 1's endless discussions, so we might get 7 or 8 episodes here. More importantly, both Episode 3 and 4 are so huge that each of them could will a 13-episode half-season themselves. Even if Episode 1 is just 5 episodes long, we might still get to the half-way point with Episode 2 and the second half of the season will be all about Episode 3.

There's also the fact that the anime was announced before Episode 4 was out - at that point, it's actual length (which turned out to be very long) could probably not be calculated, so planning to cover it in the first anime season seems foolish.

MayumiHime 2009-06-27 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan-Poo (Post 2475992)
I expect a compromise between gruesome scenes and censor, kinda like Higurashi.

Wow, what is horrific according to your tastes?

I'm really strange, aren't I? :heh:
But for me, the deaths in Umineko aren't real. And they're just pictures. Nothing more. That's why I'm not scared at all. Hard to explain.

But if I see real pictures, I'd rather hide under my bed. :uhoh: I still can't watch films like "The Ring" ... =_=" That's really horrific. Like I could never watch a reality movie of Umineko. But Anime/Manga/Game? No problem. ^^;;;

Scython 2009-06-27 15:23

The youtube videos of manga pages with gore (in the image topic) didn't do anything for me either. I'm expecting more.

TsundereCake 2009-06-27 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayumiHime (Post 2476077)
But for me, the deaths in Umineko aren't real. And they're just pictures. Nothing more. That's why I'm not scared at all. Hard to explain.

But if I see real pictures, I'd rather hide under my bed. :uhoh: I still can't watch films like "The Ring" ... =_=" That's really horrific. Like I could never watch a reality movie of Umineko. But Anime/Manga/Game? No problem. ^^;;;

Don't worry Mayumi, I'm the same way ;) Live-action violence creeps me out, but not animated violence.^^"

Scython 2009-06-27 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayumiHime (Post 2476077)

I'm gonna tell you a secret now...in real horror movies there are actors who get paid a lot for faking their death! :twitch:

The problem for me with horror is that in live-action the makers highly depend on scare-moments. You know, when, for example the camera suddenly flips to what seems to be the killer but turns out not to be, with sounds to give emphasis on you getting shocked. But the horror itself is just ...lame. Only screaming, chases and you never see a knife or any other weapon in contact with the flesh, most of the time.

In anime, even the scare-moments can't scare you, because that just doesn't work with animation. But somehow I get more enjoyment seeing anime characters die.

Jan-Poo 2009-06-27 15:38

This kind of censor is not made on the ground of scariness. It has nothing to do with that. Gore scenes are censored because they are repulsive, not because they are scary.

Of course in the manga they are already somewhat censored for the simply fact it's black and white. If the anime would show the same images in monochrome you'd say they are censored isn't it?

lovelysan 2009-06-27 17:03

I really don't see how black shadows for a TV broadcast can "ruin" anything -_- . In fact, I don't remember the shadows "ruining" anything in Higurashi. But then again, I'm not really a gore fan, so what do I know *shrug*.

(To clarify, I LOVE Higurashi and Umineko for the stories, but I admit, Higurashi is the ONLY violent thing I've ever been able to watch without nightmares ^^;;;. I just liked the story THAT much.)

Ttak 2009-06-27 17:42

And if I remember, Umineko is going to be aired between 1:30 and 2 a.m. so maybe there will be some of the scenes we know. But I hope they don't focus much on those.

Scython 2009-06-27 17:45

I just hope the first episode will get subbed and published on the net on the same day it airs.

Akuryou 2009-06-27 17:46

Not like subs will be that important if you've read the novels anyway.

momobunny 2009-06-27 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelysan (Post 2476231)
I really don't see how black shadows for a TV broadcast can "ruin" anything -_- . In fact, I don't remember the shadows "ruining" anything in Higurashi. But then again, I'm not really a gore fan, so what do I know *shrug*.

(To clarify, I LOVE Higurashi and Umineko for the stories, but I admit, Higurashi is the ONLY violent thing I've ever been able to watch without nightmares ^^;;;. I just liked the story THAT much.)

Same here, I thought that after watching Higurashi that I could stomach Elfen Lied... but I only got a few minutes into it. ^^;

Freelii 2009-06-27 20:20

My biggest problems with the "shadows" in Higurashi were that they were visually jarring. They weren't real shadows, just half the screen painted black.

Not saying that I gleefully look forward to seeing gore as much as possible, but it ruins the mood when you can tell that something is trying to be shown for shock effect but is completely hidden by the "shadow."

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelysan (Post 2476231)

I know what you mean, I even had a few rough nights after watanagashi-hen :D

@Maho Momo: Yea, Elfen Lied was a ridiculous splatterfest... After watching that, I pretty much got numbed to any kind of anime violence.

Westlo 2009-06-28 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by izmosmolnar (Post 2477245)
It seems they implemented Beatrice in the OP too. I was thinking they won't show her there, as now everyone will know that she's more than just a portrait.

Honestly.. it's probably better they let that information out in the OP, so people know it's more than just olden style remote island mystery. And yes lots of people think that...

Kitsu 2009-06-28 08:36

And because it only hints things WE SHOULD MOVE THIS POSTS TO THE VN READER THREAD

Seriously...I think it's getting risky here.

MeoTwister5 2009-06-28 08:39

Is it considered a spoiler to say... on the very first episode thread post a reminder that people not try and think of this as Higurashi 2.0?

Scython 2009-06-28 08:50

Yeah, the best thing you could do is quote him. Clever thinking.

Kitsu 2009-06-28 08:58

I actually wanted to delete that statement after izmosmolnar edited his post. What I did now
Edit: lala