AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   GeForce GTX690: $999 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=115868)

MeoTwister5 2012-10-29 01:04

GeForce GTX690: $999

IGN article here.

I thought this was the best subforum for this. Anyway, long story short, who else thinks this a ludicrously powered and ludicrously priced piece of gaming heaven? Reading the price and specs of that beast makes me wonder just exactly how many people these days in this economy actually take PC gaming so seriously that they think they need this. It almost feels like wasteful overkill.

Irenicus 2012-10-29 01:22

Tom's review from back in May.

Looks sexy, works like two GTX 680's (which it basically is), and you, I, and people with half a sense of economy are not the customer. Don't think too hard about it, they have these high-margin, low-volume e-peen cards essentially every generation. This one actually gets props because the NVIDIA engineers bothered to, well, engineer in some design improvements for thermal and noise savings instead of just doing a "factory SLI" and slap a name on it which is what usually happened with these ~$1000 cards.

And going by the benchmarks in the link it most certainly can play Crysis [2]. ;p

-KarumA- 2012-10-29 04:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 (Post 4416799)
IGN article here.

I thought this was the best subforum for this. Anyway, long story short, who else thinks this a ludicrously powered and ludicrously priced piece of gaming heaven? Reading the price and specs of that beast makes me wonder just exactly how many people these days in this economy actually take PC gaming so seriously that they think they need this. It almost feels like wasteful overkill.

Think a little further than gaming, those cards aren't just used for that reason

Jaden 2012-10-29 14:11

There's always some gamers who have the money and can find uses for it, for example if you want to do stereoscopic 3D or 120 FPS, and using multiple displays with ludicrous resolutions.

Jinto 2012-10-29 16:32

Well, that might sound like a lot of money. It depends on the perspective though...

For example in the industry, were you really need precise arithmetic, these cards costs way more (Tesla).

For example for fast, modern computed tomography you would use a server with 3 Tesla M2070Q GPU modules (price per module 5.500$) to process the raw data from the scanner and make it ready (convert it to a certain format) for viewing on a client.

Alchemist007 2012-10-29 21:39

But they're getting it to do a job. For a gaming enthusiast, this thing is clearly being slated toward the richest, which makes me wonder how many would buy it. It must be enough to consider even making a model like this.

Tiberium Wolf 2012-10-30 00:55

If they are making it means it's profitable to make them coz there are ppl buying it.

Jinto 2012-10-30 04:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf (Post 4418230)
If they are making it means it's profitable to make them coz there are ppl buying it.

Thats not neccessarily the case. A good example would be the Bugatti Veyron that technically costs VW money to produce (despite being extremely high priced, it still cannot make up for the overal costs of research and development + production). VW as a brand had another prestige car like this, the Phaeton. Sometimes, things get produced for prestige (to e.g. raise awareness for the brand).

sa547 2012-10-30 06:10

Besides being examples of "symbolic technology" (that is, showing that the manufacturer is an industry leader), these low-production high-end GPUs are intended for wealthy enthusiasts and competitive overclockers who either want to be on the bleeding edge or for bragging rights.

So unless in a space of five years I find such cards in the bargain bin, for now I can only appreciate their performance, all the while satisfied with what I own: an HD4670.

Wandering_Youth 2012-10-30 13:24

In my personal opinion, dual GPU graphics are not yet worth it for the AVERAGE gamer. Last time I checked, having dual GPU doesn't even equal twice the performance gain, it more like a quarter gain in performance. You might as well just stick with a good solid single card for gaming.

On the other hand, these kinds of cards do have other beneficial applications in the industry besides gaming.

Tiberium Wolf 2012-10-30 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinto (Post 4418385)
Thats not neccessarily the case. A good example would be the Bugatti Veyron that technically costs VW money to produce (despite being extremely high priced, it still cannot make up for the overal costs of research and development + production). VW as a brand had another prestige car like this, the Phaeton. Sometimes, things get produced for prestige (to e.g. raise awareness for the brand).

I don't think you can compare it with Bugatti Veyron because the price is diff so huge and so much less ppl able to buy it.

Alchemist007 2012-10-30 16:37

Actually, the production price may be much lower, and pricing it this high could be to test consumer limits, otherwise they could always lower the price.

problemedchild 2012-10-31 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth (Post 4418984)
In my personal opinion, dual GPU graphics are not yet worth it for the AVERAGE gamer. Last time I checked, having dual GPU doesn't even equal twice the performance gain, it more like a quarter gain in performance. You might as well just stick with a good solid single card for gaming.

On the other hand, these kinds of cards do have other beneficial applications in the industry besides gaming.

SLI scaling has gotten really good in the recent years. You're getting around 50-90% additional performance.

Alchemist007 2012-10-31 16:20

That's...a really wide margin :heh:

synaesthetic 2012-11-02 02:02

Two words: parallel processing.