AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Accel World (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Accel World - Character Discussion - Haruyuki (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113141)

Kairin 2012-07-06 01:04

Accel World - Character Discussion - Haruyuki

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Haruyuki related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Accel World fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Korps! 2012-07-06 11:54

The only fat Burst Linker of the Accel World. Needs to man up.

cyberdemon 2012-07-06 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korps! (Post 4240961)

I doubt he's the only fat one, just the only one we know.

Dr. Casey 2012-07-06 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korps! (Post 4240961)

uh

Why exactly does someone that has unfailingly never been anything except brave and selfless need to man up?

serenade_beta 2012-07-06 13:35

"Even if you're fat and not slim and handsome or cute like other anime protagonist, even if you are ugly, you can get your own harem and be totally awesome! I wish."
Kind of what it feels like, being screamed by the author.

It's not abnormal in anime and I'm sure many authors have some of their dreams stuffed in their works, but nothing has ever made it as obvious as this.
At least include a story plot that actually would make me think "Oh, this is why he is fat", because right now, there is no reason for him to be fat, other than the fat pig image of otaku.

PS: Though I think the main problem isn't that he is just fat, but really short too. Looks deformed and makes it hard to take his scenes seriously.

Korps! 2012-07-06 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Casey (Post 4241056)
uh

Why exactly does someone that has unfailingly never been anything except brave and selfless need to man up?

Because last episode his avatar stopped moving.

Ray 2012-07-06 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by serenade_beta (Post 4241150)
"Even if you're fat and not slim and handsome or cute like other anime protagonist, even if you are ugly, you can get your own harem and be totally awesome! I wish."
Kind of what it feels like, being screamed by the author.

Harem? What harem? He's got like, what, 2 girls that are into him; one that loves him, and the other that.. enjoys teasing him?

EccentricSwordser 2012-07-06 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphrah (Post 4241196)
Harem? What harem? He's got like, what, 2 girls that are into him; one that loves him, and the other that.. enjoys teasing him?

Ah, you haven't read the LN or learned of it's spoilers yet, you'll see in a couple of episodes and next arcs.

I think Haruyuki is a frustrating character, he's just so doubtful of himself, but I do think he's adorable and funny; I've been waiting for a chubby protaganist actually, was so glad to come by his series.

Also, Haru reminds me of Tavros from Homestuck, not just because his sign is Taurus.

Ray 2012-07-06 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by EccentricSwordser (Post 4241536)
Ah, you haven't read the LN or learned of it's spoilers yet, you'll see in a couple of episodes and next arcs.

I think Haruyuki is a frustrating character, he's just so doubtful of himself, but I do think he's adorable and funny; I've been waiting for a chubby protaganist actually, was so glad to come by his series.

Also, Haru reminds me of Tavros from Homestuck, not just because his sign is Taurus.

I have. I was under the impression we were speaking using anime only knowledge, though. :p

I definitely agree with your view on Haruyuki. It's a shame people can't see past his short and chubby design.

Kazamachi Shogen 2012-07-06 23:36

Haru being a fatso is the whole point! He'd be boring if he's normal in body shape because he'd basically turned into another Ikari Shinji.

Miraluka 2012-07-06 23:49

... or Shoe.

I'm kind of bored with the "good looking guy isn't popular but then gets harem because he is nice" at least

Haru has his traumas and complexes yet works to keep going forward, he just need motivation.

Flawfinder 2012-07-07 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilfriback (Post 4241903)
Haru has his traumas and complexes yet works to keep going forward, he just need motivation.

Like actual stakes in this Accel World game. Did they introduce any real consequences to playing the game outside of...not being able to use it anymore?

Dr. Casey 2012-07-07 00:44

Considering the amazing things you can do with Acceleration powers (It can basically be used as a GameShark for life, since the number of things Acceleration can help you through is endless; some of those applications are of course dishonest, but the powers can also be used to perform miracles in times of crisis, like whenever Kuroyukihime saved Haru from the car wreck). If you kick someone out from the game, you have to think 'What impact might this have later down the road? Could there be some tragedy that could've been averted if I didn't take away the powers of Acceleration from that certain person?' I think the stakes are low enough that the story feels relatively down-to-earth, but high enough to turn up some heat.

Kazamachi Shogen 2012-07-07 01:00

Spoiler for later novels?:

Flawfinder 2012-07-07 01:07

Quote:

Spoiler for later novels?:

I don't remember that being clarified at all. Which episode was that? I'm not even going to question how that works.

Kazamachi Shogen 2012-07-07 01:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flawnalyst (Post 4241990)
I don't remember that being clarified at all. Which episode was that? I'm not even going to question how that works.

maybe I jumped the gun a bit, wait for it as it will come up later I think after this ark

Flawfinder 2012-07-07 01:20

Oh my god. So that stake doesn't come up until more than halfway through the series? Isn't that a little late to be adding an actual reason for me to care if Haru loses his powers?

Dr. Casey 2012-07-07 01:30

Quote:

Well, I'm not really following the show anymore so I can't be too mean, but from the 11 episodes I've seen, I don't remember one downside to using Accel World. Saying "if I had acceleration, could I save somebody" is like me saying "if I had Spiderman's powers, could I make a difference".
Not exactly... there's a difference between idly daydreaming about something, and taking away a gift from people who do already possess that power. There's also the fact that so many of the game's participants are deeply infatuated with being a Burst Linker, to the point where they use that position to derive most of their self-worth... and there's of course tension in the fact that Haruyuki and Kuro must reach level 10 to learn the truth about the game from its creator, or the rift that will surely form between Haru and Yuki if they're ever the last two Level 9s remaining. The stakes certainly aren't anything like Sword Art Online, and I can understand if it deflates the tension for you. The story works perfectly fine for me, though.

Quote:

And don't say "at least he develops, unlike (a loser I probably like)"
don't worry, I would never say anything that dumb

Quote:

Oh my god. So that stake doesn't come up until more than halfway through the series? Isn't that a little late to be adding an actual reason for me to care if Haru loses his powers?
No, it's far from the halfway point. There's 11 Light Novels out, and we've only reached Volume 3, I think; not to mention I don't believe the end of the story is anywhere in sight, so who knows, the stakes could be introduced in something like Volume 3-4 out of twenty-something. (Yeah, there's the old line about 'Stories should be able to stand up on their own' blah blah, but I think this is one of those scenarios where some leniency should be given for the fact that this is an adaptation of an existing story where the pacing might have worked better in its original context.)

Seihai 2012-07-07 01:33

Heh? How would that memory loss work? Taku wanted to uninstall BB to atone for his sins, meaning that if it was true, he wanted to atone for his sins by forgetting? It doesn't make a lot of sense. And then KYH stopped him without telling him without the memory loss. Besides, memory loss or not, Cherry Rook and Scarlet Rain have no problems being friends again. Also didn't Yellow Radio mention something like "I wonder what Red Rider is doing now, he must be thinking about how he can never return and about the person that did this to him". If he forgot, he couldn't think about that. And in case Yellow Radio doesn't know about the memory loss himself, then it's safe to assume that it doesn't play a big role if even Level 9 aren't aware or concerned about it. And Haru is a total pimp with plot armour.

orpheus2 2012-07-07 01:36

Spoiler: