AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Manga (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   School Rumble manga (Del Rey Edition only) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=33435)

xris 2006-06-22 06:55

School Rumble manga (Del Rey Edition only)

Welcome to the Del Rey English translated School Rumble manga discussion thread. Please remember this thread is only for discussion of those chapters released by Del Rey, if you wish to discuss the latest raw chapters then please use the School Rumble manga (raw discussion only) thread.

Thread Guidelines
  • Try to keep spoilers out of the this thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the raw (manga) or TV series, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • You may discuss your expectations of the future volumes.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future volume spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.
Please use the Report button http://forums.animesuki.com/images/buttons/report.gif if you see any unmarked spoilers or other problems.

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/7...vol12gr.th.jpg Vol 1 Release Date: 28th Feb 2006. Amazon link, Barnes & Noble link

http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/4...vol28ek.th.jpg Vol 2 Release Date: 30th May 2006. Amazon link, Barnes & Noble link

http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/7...vol32vr.th.jpg Vol 3 Release Date: 29th Aug 2006. Amazon link, Barnes & Noble link

How to use Spoiler Tags

Spoiler tags are easy.

[spoiler=Spoon Bending]When does Tenma show she can bend spoons[/spoiler]

...will get you this...

Spoiler for Spoon Bending:

Please remember that the School Rumble manga is licensed by Del Rey.

Since it is licensed the following posts are not allowed
  • Asking where you can find School Rumble manga downloads, scans or translations.
  • Linking to School Rumble manga downloads, scans or translations.
  • Discussing School Rumble scan groups (past or present).
These rules applies to the raws as well.

You still are allowed to discuss the manga, that has not changed but please remember to limit the discussion to the story itself.

Rurouni 2006-06-22 08:15

Can anyone tell me how good or bad the translation / editing is? Is it censored in any way?

xris 2006-06-22 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rurouni
Can anyone tell me how good or bad the translation / editing is? Is it censored in any way?

Not knowing Japanese I can't really tell exactly how good or bad the translation is but from what I remember it reads just as well or better than the scanlations. As for being censored... what in School Rumble would be censored anyway? There doesn't seem to be anything censored and I can't really see a reason why it would be.

The big advantage with Del Rey is that they provide a wealth of translation and cultural notes. For example in the first volume of SR we have..
2 pages covering the use (and non-use) of honorifics and
12 pages (yes, twelve pages) of translation notes.
Theses notes are contained at the start (Honorifics) and end (Translation) of the manga.

They explain why (in Vol 2) Harima leaves off the -san honorific when talking to Itoko-san for example, without this the joke doesn't work or have much meaning. They use terms like "Mama-chari" (and supply a translation note, it's a specific type of bike) and "Yagami-saka Hill", which is an intensional typo.

There is one example given where the translation is different (Vol 2 p.43) but that's because the Japanese wouldn't make much sense, again it's all explained in the notes. Oh yes, they also translate the side notes on the pages (text that ran vertically on some of the pages).

So I think they have done a very good job (like the other Del Rey translations I've seen) but please remember that translation is an art anyway. It comes down to personal preference on the style.

And if anyone is wondering what chapters are in what Volume, so far we have the following

Volume 1 contains
Chapters 1 to 16 (sharp #, main story)
Chapters 1 to 2 (flat b, side story)

Volume 2 contains
Chapters 17 to 30 (sharp #, main story)
Chapters 3 to 5 (flat b, side story)

kenjiharima 2006-06-23 05:16

I can't wait till august! Eri-Ojo-san cover!

Spoiler for Harima and Shuuji:

Calca 2006-06-24 13:22

Del Ray is cool because they are like a real scanlation group. They give notes and everything.

Other US manga groups would probably try to Americanize it.

ZhangKhaiEn 2006-07-12 05:18

*sigh*

Del Ray has a bad rep for many MANY translation errors with their manga projects.. >_<;;

Good thing I buy either the Chuang Yi or the Tong Li chinese versions.. which brings up the topic: Any chinese readers here? I haven't found a Tong Li version yet (I like TL better).. Is SR Chuang Yi only?

Truth-kun 2006-08-01 05:10

I bought Volume 2

It really annoyed me that Del Rey used "Punk" instead of "Delinquent". Maybe in America that is the most accepted term, but imagine Tenma or Itoko saying "Punk"? It isn't that nice. -_-;

Otherwise, the translations are fine, though sometimes the Japanese Culture notes (aside from the name Honorifics and the others found on the first few pages) are neglected.

kenjiharima 2006-08-03 23:43

SR manga Vol.3 is goona be released at 29th of August right? WWWAAAHHH!! I wanna fast foward the time!!

BOZZY 2007-01-05 12:29

Just picked up Volume 4 last night, I was just wondering if it was just me, or does it seem a page was missing in one of the later chapters
Spoiler:
?

kenjiharima 2007-01-09 14:10

there's a school rumble manga vol.4 already out. Mikoto cover. The next next school rumble will be released on march 2007.

Spoiler:

Freeter 2007-01-09 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjiharima (Post 794279)
Spoiler:

LOL, Akira-Yakumo fusion...look out Goku :heh:

kenjiharima 2007-01-18 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeter (Post 794306)
LOL, Akira-Yakumo fusion...look out Goku :heh:

LOL!!! :D

My thoughts EXACTLY

BOZZY 2007-05-30 19:05

So anyone pick up Volume 5? What was up with the way they translated Harry's dialogue?

aeterna789 2007-06-07 23:46

You guys know where I can buy an English version of the manga? From the first Volume to the latest volume? I only got volume 4 with me.:) Though I really want to collect all.

xris 2007-06-08 04:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeterna789 (Post 983431)
You guys know where I can buy an English version of the manga? From the first Volume to the latest volume? I only got volume 4 with me.:) Though I really want to collect all.

I'll try and update the first post of the thread with the latest volumes available.

Vol 6 is due to be released about now as well. That's all there is for the moment and it seems the release schedule is only 4 volumes a year :(

Acseru 2007-07-04 09:44

I want to know are there scenes in manga that are not in anime?

kenjiharima 2007-07-04 09:58

damn still don't have vol 5...now 6 is comming out!!! Waaaah~~~ Iam so sad...need to find a good retailer next week.

Acseru 2007-07-16 17:15

plix answer my earlier question quickly :( I need to know coz if there isnt any scenes that are not in anime i'm not buying :/

kenjiharima 2007-07-17 08:08

There are many scenes that are not in the anime and also there are scenes in the anime which are not in the manga.

Finally got vo.5 Karerin cover.

Spoiler:

kenjiharima 2007-08-27 09:37

just got manga.6 favorite cover!

Harima the baka cover. with the Mikoto pose on manga.vol4.

I've noticed a patern about the manga's...it's like this first part was all Eri then Yakumo then Eri then Yakumo. It kinda got to me in vol.2 noticed how'd Yakumo and Eri kinda alternate everytime there's a new manga. It doesn't focus on one character alone. Except our main hero Harima. Tenma you say? Well imho Harima plays more or the main charcter rather than the secondary.