AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   (L) Tenchi Muyo 3rd OVA Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=5699)

ChibiDusk 2003-11-22 15:17

Tenchi Muyo 3rd OVA Discussion

Hm, some questions about this series...
Do you need to have sen the previous series in order to understand this?
What is the main plot?
who are the characters?

Lord Raiden 2003-11-22 16:03

If you've seen Tenchi Muyo, you'll know. If you haven't...well, there's a HUGE amount to explain. I suggest renting Tenchi Muyo and watching that first. For one, it's funny, and two it will fill in a lot about the OVA. Far more than can be explained here.

ChibiDusk 2003-11-22 16:51

Ive seen the 1st and 2nd movies, and most of the
Tenchi universe and like 2eps of Tenchi Muyo! [I think it was the furst season]

monir 2003-11-22 16:55

Then you are good to go..:)..

Garylisk 2003-11-22 18:20

Incorrect, he's not good to go.

First of all, when watching the Tenchi OVAs, you must not compare them at all to Tenchi Universe or the movies. Those are not connected to the OVA at all.

What you really should do is rent or buy (The OVA box is worth the purchase IMO ;) ) the first two OVAs and watch them (That's episodes 1-13). THEN once you've watched that, you can watch OVA3 episode 1 (Which is actually episode 14).

If you wanna learn more about Tenchi Muyo than even the anime can show you, plus all the continuity stuff, check out the Tenchi Muyo FAQ at http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi/

It's really helpful.

monir 2003-11-22 22:14

Actually to follow the first episdoe of the OVA3 Chibi is good to go if he has seen most of the Tenchi Universe :D..I dont want to spoil it for Chibi, but since my vanity is on the line..Chibi, dont read the spoiler if you dont wanna be spoiled..
Spoiler:

Chibi, if you havent seen the previous OVA series my recommendation is to get the videos/dvds because the story is much more enjoyable in the OVA..

Garylisk 2003-11-23 04:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by monir
Actually to follow the first episdoe of the OVA3 Chibi is good to go if he has seen most of the Tenchi Universe :D..I dont want to spoil it for Chibi, but since my vanity is on the line..Chibi, dont read the spoiler if you dont wanna be spoiled..
Spoiler:

Chibi, if you havent seen the previous OVA series my recommendation is to get the videos/dvds because the story is much more enjoyable in the OVA..

People who have watched the TV series, and then watch OVA3 and don't realize they have nothing to do with one another will be confused, if by nothing else, then by the simple question
Spoiler:

(OK so it was 2 questions.)

More questions will come to their minds... like

Spoiler:

And to continue, here's some questions that will more than likely come up as the 3rd OVA goes on...

Spoiler:

So yeah... that's about all I gotta say on THAT matter.

Trust me. Watch the first two OVAs before venturing into OVA3, you'll thank yourself later.

Xiandu 2003-11-23 07:33

I definitely agree with Gary on this one. I remember when i first got into Tenchi about how confused i was with the ova and the tv series. Til i found out that they are nothing alike and are not related besides the characters.

Chibi for sure see the original ova's 13 eps before watching the 14th eps aka Ryo-Ohki. It won't cause any confusion that way. But do watch the tv series eventually becuase it may be annoying sometimes but the tv series can actually be really funny at time too.

Tenkoy 2003-11-23 08:10

And if you like pain, you can always try Tenchi in Tokyo.

Garylisk 2003-11-23 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiandu
I definitely agree with Gary on this one. I remember when i first got into Tenchi about how confused i was with the ova and the tv series. Til i found out that they are nothing alike and are not related besides the characters.

Chibi for sure see the original ova's 13 eps before watching the 14th eps aka Ryo-Ohki. It won't cause any confusion that way. But do watch the tv series eventually becuase it may be annoying sometimes but the tv series can actually be really funny at time too.

BTW, Xiandu, the OVA has always been called "Ryo-Ohki", it just never got tranferred to the English title. They decided plain old "Tenchi Muyo!" was better.

Animaniac 2003-11-23 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenkoy
And if you like pain, you can always try Tenchi in Tokyo.

So true...

Tenkoy 2003-11-23 10:12

The sad part is I didn't hate Shin Tenchi (Tenchi in Tokyo), It's actually pretty entertaining when you're flat out drunk.

And on topic, I want to post praises to all those fansubbing OAV 3. Now, while I know people say that it's a sure thing for licensing, but it's nice to see what happens. Besides, I enjoy collecting the dvds, so the licensor isn't loosing my money at least.

monir 2003-11-23 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garylisk
People who have watched the TV series, and then watch OVA3 and don't realize they have nothing to do with one another will be confused, if by nothing else, then by the simple question
Spoiler:

(OK so it was 2 questions.)

More questions will come to their minds... like

Spoiler:

And to continue, here's some questions that will more than likely come up as the 3rd OVA goes on...

Spoiler:

So yeah... that's about all I gotta say on THAT matter.

Trust me. Watch the first two OVAs before venturing into OVA3, you'll thank yourself later.

Ehhhh..A counter arguer and a good one at THAT..I am getting excited.. *flexing my fingers as I am brewing a fresh pot of coffee*

The first episode of the OVA3 is not a follow up to the previous OVA series..This episode was pretty much self-explanatory with a new theme which we get a clue of in the 3rd quarter of the episode..Tenchi has all those flash back from the previous series to set up the new theme..The flash-back helped the old viewer to get into sync and the new viewers will get some idea of what's going on even if they never saw a single episode of the previous OVA series...That is why each flash-back taken from particular episode reiterated the main point of the episode so firmly (basically told the whole story). Might I add Chibi has followed the Tenchi Universe series, so Chibi is not a new viewer. As for the answer to the other questions,
Spoiler:
why? a Tenchi Univers viewer will simply deduce if a cat can turn into a ship, it must have figured out way to turn into a little girl somehow
Spoiler:
.. As for Kiyone, I suspect an incest theme is in order which will reveal itself as the episode progress and providing the new viewer is patient :D)..

Spoiler:
I have mentioned that in the little spoiler of my previous post about the intro of Ryokou..That is the only thing can off balance a Tenchi Universe viewer who is trying to follow the OVA3 without watching the previous 2 OVAs'..So if a Tenchi Universe viewer pay attention to the flash-back they will get their answer...
Spoiler:
..If the animators going to relate more material to progress the story of the OVA3; they, cleverly, will give us some more flash back..Afterall, they will try to attract new viewers with the old ones so the new viewers get curious enough to venture, as you put, into the old series..:D..That’s why I left all those other question unanswered..Beside those questions are irrelevant anyway at this point of the series..

Btw, a thunder clasp realization…while we argue Chibi may have already seen the episode:D

ChibiDusk 2003-11-23 15:09

I have already known for quite some time that
The Tenchi series are not the same.

Anyways, Ill see if I can rent the first 2 OVA's then

Garylisk 2003-11-23 16:14

Quote:

Ehhhh..A counter arguer and a good one at THAT..I am getting excited.. *flexing my fingers as I am brewing a fresh pot of coffee*

The first episode of the OVA3 is not a follow up to the previous OVA series..This episode was pretty much self-explanatory with a new theme which we get a clue of in the 3rd quarter of the episode..Tenchi has all those flash back from the previous series to set up the new theme..The flash-back helped the old viewer to get into sync and the new viewers will get some idea of what's going on even if they never saw a single episode of the previous OVA series...That is why each flash-back taken from particular episode reiterated the main point of the episode so firmly (basically told the whole story). Might I add Chibi has followed the Tenchi Universe series, so Chibi is not a new viewer. As for the answer to the other questions,
Spoiler:
why? a Tenchi Univers viewer will simply deduce if a cat can turn into a ship, it must have figured out way to turn into a little girl somehow
Spoiler:
.. As for Kiyone, I suspect an incest theme is in order which will reveal itself as the episode progress and providing the new viewer is patient :D)..

Spoiler:
I have mentioned that in the little spoiler of my previous post about the intro of Ryokou..That is the only thing can off balance a Tenchi Universe viewer who is trying to follow the OVA3 without watching the previous 2 OVAs'..So if a Tenchi Universe viewer pay attention to the flash-back they will get their answer...
Spoiler:
..If the animators going to relate more material to progress the story of the OVA3; they, cleverly, will give us some more flash back..Afterall, they will try to attract new viewers with the old ones so the new viewers get curious enough to venture, as you put, into the old series..:D..That’s why I left all those other question unanswered..Beside those questions are irrelevant anyway at this point of the series..

Btw, a thunder clasp realization…while we argue Chibi may have already seen the episode:D

Ah, but where's the fun in just deducing. A viewer should aspire to view. While your argument is solid, it's goal is not. THe goal of your argument can be seen on multiple levels. On one level, it's a good goal, since it allows someone who has not seen the previous two OVAs to view the new episode. However, it has problems as well. The viewer, if not required to watch the first two OVAs, would be missing out on some fun stuff. The point here isn't really an acquisition of knowledge, but an experience which is entertaining. Right?

Spoiler:

monir 2003-11-23 17:35

You wont hear a peep out of me since Chibi has decided to get the previous OVA series..Enjoyed arguing though, Gary-san ..:)

Garylisk 2003-11-23 23:11

Quote:

You wont hear a peep out of me since Chibi has decided to get the previous OVA series..Enjoyed arguing though, Gary-san ..:)

My last argument was pathetic.. I hadn't slept for over 24 hours.. brain was dulling.

Xiandu 2003-11-24 00:20

So what is the release pattern for the new Tenchi eps. I see that one is out, but it has been out for a while now. Just like the first ep of Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko.

Garylisk 2003-11-24 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiandu
So what is the release pattern for the new Tenchi eps. I see that one is out, but it has been out for a while now. Just like the first ep of Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko.

Ep 1 came out September 18th, Episode 2 will come out December 21st, and episode 3 is scheduled to come out in February. However, ep 2 was delayed a month. So, if we figure ep 2 being delayed was a fluke, we can expect an ep every 2 months. Here's my estimated schedule if things go smoothly.

1 - September 18th, 2003
2 - December 21st, 2003
3 - February ?, 2004
4 - April ?, 2004
5 - June ?, 2004
6 - August ?, 2004

Xiandu 2003-11-24 15:50

Cool thanks, where did you get that from. I'd like to go check it out.