AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Help w/VirtualDubMod plz (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=6396)

Soul-Shaker 2004-02-01 03:35

Help w/VirtualDubMod plz

I have just started using VirtualDubMod on windows 2000. I have also removed all my codecs with add/remove programs and installed codecs by going through the Media Configuration Guide this site has provided.

After installing all the codecs some files worked but not if they were divx 3,4, or 5. So I installed divx5.1.1 from divx.com and then divx 3 and 4 codecs worked. Some files I tried was Hajime no Ippo 44+ episodes, Naruto 68, and Maburaho 1-6. Yet if i just watch this in any player like core media, bsplayer, or windows media, it works fine.

the specific error is:
Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'DX50' (unknown).
VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those usde by Windows Media Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct stream copy' is available for this video.

I read on some other sites to remove the divx 5 codec and reinstall it but how do you do that? Wouldn't me installing divx5.1.1 overwrite the original anyway?

Cruzz 2004-02-01 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soul-Shaker
I have just started using VirtualDubMod on windows 2000. I have also removed all my codecs with add/remove programs and installed codecs by going through the Media Configuration Guide this site has provided.

After installing all the codecs some files worked but not if they were divx 3,4, or 5. So I installed divx5.1.1 from divx.com and then divx 3 and 4 codecs worked. Some files I tried was Hajime no Ippo 44+ episodes, Naruto 68, and Maburaho 1-6. Yet if i just watch this in any player like core media, bsplayer, or windows media, it works fine.

the specific error is:
Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'DX50' (unknown).
VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those usde by Windows Media Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct stream copy' is available for this video.

I read on some other sites to remove the divx 5 codec and reinstall it but how do you do that? Wouldn't me installing divx5.1.1 overwrite the original anyway?

So right now your problem is that vdub won't display the video from files encoded with divx 5? There is something wrong with your divx codec installation, but I can't really say what exactly. You can always try using a FourCC changer on the file and change the "DX50" to "divx" and hope that for some obscure reason the file will open in vdub just fine after that ever so slight change.

As for the remove and then install procedure, it's mainly to make sure that windows won't stop the installer from overwriting certain files and thus bork up the reinstall.

scotty81 2004-02-01 10:05

I will advise to go on the virtualDub&mod forum. you should find it easily.

this is what i would do:
uninstall all your codecs.
then install FFDSHOW ( serach google ) FFDSHOW is a reading filter that reads xvid, divx3 divx4 and divx5
then install only the codecs you will be encoding with . for example divx5.1.1 and the last xvid

and try it again finally, I hope it should work.
I don't really like codec packs because they are messy and there is no use intalling an old codec which can be read with a filter!

Soul-Shaker 2004-02-01 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty81
I will advise to go on the virtualDub&mod forum. you should find it easily.

this is what i would do:
uninstall all your codecs.
then install FFDSHOW ( serach google ) FFDSHOW is a reading filter that reads xvid, divx3 divx4 and divx5
then install only the codecs you will be encoding with . for example divx5.1.1 and the last xvid

and try it again finally, I hope it should work.
I don't really like codec packs because they are messy and there is no use intalling an old codec which can be read with a filter!

well scotty, as i said from the start of my thing.

"I have also removed all my codecs with add/remove programs and installed codecs by going through the Media Configuration Guide this site has provided. "

which include what u just said.

scotty81 2004-02-02 08:23

what are you trying to do with VDM anyway.
We could maybe help you more if we knew that