AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Higurashi (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Higurashi - Requests for new threads (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31715)

xris 2006-05-01 06:27

Higurashi - Requests for new threads

Since the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni forum is now limited (only Mods and Admin can create new threads), this thread serves as a way to request a new thread to be created.

Please post here if you wish to request a new Higurashi no Naku Koro ni thread. Please bear in mind that we will only accept reasonable requests, we wish to maintain the focus within the forum and cut down on the noise (so no pointless threads cluttering up the place).

Don't forget that you may still post in existing threads as usual, the only restriction is that you may not create new threads within this particular forum.

Scribble 2006-05-01 07:09

Yay!
New forum!

Since we piece together theories from various episodes, we'll definately need some kind of theory thread. I think other members could go into better detail, though.

Dagger 2006-05-01 07:21

Could we also have a general merchandise thread (like in the Utawarerumono forum)?

xris 2006-05-01 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribble
Since we piece together theories from various episodes, we'll definately need some kind of theory thread. I think other members could go into better detail, though.

Yes, definitely.

Since I haven't played the game and have only started to watch the series, I'll have to leave this up to someone like kj1980 but maybe there's a need for two different threads concerning such speculation.

One where people (most likely non-game players) can post their ideas and thoughts as to where they think the series is going (a sort of "non-spoiler" speculation thread). And then a second thread for the people who have played the game where they can discussion the actual events in the game and their interpretation of the way they think the anime will go.

Any comments on this (again, it's going to be something that kj1980 will have to decide on) but comments from the non-game players are welcome. It might be that just a "non-spoiler" and "spoiler" speculation thread would be better suited.

xris 2006-05-01 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magus IX
Could we also have a general merchandise thread (like in the Utawarerumono forum)?

What! You mean we can already purchase Rena-chan meat cleavers! Cool!

We do plan to create the usual threads so give us a day or so to sort ourselves out. I want to make sure there isn't the same problems we had with the other new forums we've been creating latley.

I'm sure Catgirls will create the Image and Avatar threads, and kj1980 will create the Game and Speculation threads. I'll look at making some of the others as well.

Shiroth 2006-05-01 07:48

Damn.. someone got to the merchandise asking before me! >.<

Scribble 2006-05-01 08:51

What about a TIPS thread? The few TIPS that were posted really helped the speculation. They're not spoilers as such....anime-only Higurashi just didn't get them, so we're at a disadvantage, right?

Jellyfish Marine 2006-05-01 08:55

It would be good to have a "guessing game/speculation game" thread instead of a normal speculation one. Somewhat like a normal speculation thread but with some expert on Higurashi giving out hints and keep the guessing game going (like what we had in the old Higurashi thread)

Shiroth 2006-05-01 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribble
What about a TIPS thread? The few TIPS that were posted really helped the speculation. They're not spoilers as such....anime-only Higurashi just didn't get them, so we're at a disadvantage, right?

I think the tips should be inside the speculation thread - we all know how many people wanna speculate.

Scribble 2006-05-01 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelsama
I think the tips should be inside the speculation thread - we all know how many people wanna speculate.

Yeah, I suggested a new thread for the TIPS so they don't get jumbled up with other posts - so readers can easily refer to it. But I suppose that problem can be resolved by just putting the TIPS in the first post only. =D

paTKany 2006-05-02 01:30

I know it's early, but 3-4 months later this forum probably needs a "favorite chapter poll+discussion" thread.

kj1980 2006-05-04 12:21

Just in case if you haven't noticed it already, the TIPS thread has been created as a sticky on top of this sub-forum.

Please feel free to utilize them in your quest to solve the mystery. As stated in that thread, no posting is allowed there unless you can help contribute by translating some of the TIPS.

As of today, all the TIPS for the Onikakushi-hen chapter have been done. As the most recent episode was the beginning to Watanagashi, we've gone and started some of the Watanagashi-hen TIPS up to the relevant point of most-recently aired episode.

FubaredByAnime 2006-05-07 12:25

Would it be practical to add separate speculation/guess work threads for each story arc? We can keep the general speculation thread to talk about the overall story, and then keep smaller, arc-specific questions for each respective thread. That would save headaches when the momentum of questions start to appear at the end of the 2nd arc.

Also, maybe add a character speculation/comment thread too?

[Edited]
Let me add that threads for each episode should probably be more for expressing about what people thought of the episode than what people think what's happening in this mystery. The problem with adding speculation and thoughts about the story is that it gets split among 4-5 threads for each story arc.

Just a thought, anyway.

kj1980 2006-05-08 00:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by FubaredByAnime
Would it be practical to add separate speculation/guess work threads for each story arc? We can keep the general speculation thread to talk about the overall story, and then keep smaller, arc-specific questions for each respective thread. That would save headaches when the momentum of questions start to appear at the end of the 2nd arc.

Also, maybe add a character speculation/comment thread too?

[Edited]
Let me add that threads for each episode should probably be more for expressing about what people thought of the episode than what people think what's happening in this mystery. The problem with adding speculation and thoughts about the story is that it gets split among 4-5 threads for each story arc.

Just a thought, anyway.

I think the each individual episodes will do just fine...it's kind of difficult to regulate what people thought about the episode without leaving out dicussions as this is a mystery/suspense anime. So I'll keep the format as it is: episode thread for impressions, comments, and question regarding to that episode/chapter, and the general thread for overall questions.

As for the character speculation, I'll create something similar to the one in the Fate thread.

FubaredByAnime 2006-05-09 10:24

Maybe you guys should have a FAQ, controlled only you the moderators to answer/comment on the questions that keeps seemingly to pop up, such as:

- How are the chapters related to each other?
- Is that a gun on Mion's shoulder?
- Why is Rika so cute?

Then you can tell anyone who asks to please refer to the FAQ. I too keep feeling like it's broken record when the same question. Also, I think it kinda wastes time when KJ and Sushi have to write long descriptions of what's going on. And I'm sure we all asked all three questions at some point. ;)

Li Jianliang 2006-05-10 14:12

Can there be a thread for the posting and discussion of the OP/ED and various inserts/related songs and OSTs?

kj1980 2006-05-11 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Li Jianliang
Can there be a thread for the posting and discussion of the OP/ED and various inserts/related songs and OSTs?

No problem. You can find it here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=32067

Nics 2006-05-25 11:41

I had to come out of lurking to post this, seems like my account got deleted during the whole board crash a while back, but anyways --

Can we start threads for each 'chapter' or 'arc' of the series? I was trying to post something about the shion/mion thing, but they could fall into any of the episode 5-8 threads.

kj1980 2006-05-25 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nics
I had to come out of lurking to post this, seems like my account got deleted during the whole board crash a while back, but anyways --

Can we start threads for each 'chapter' or 'arc' of the series? I was trying to post something about the shion/mion thing, but they could fall into any of the episode 5-8 threads.

Someone mentioned this earlier. Although there is a general theory discussion to discuss overall questions, would anyone see a benefit of having a discussion section pertaining to each chapter? For example, we already have:

1. Discussion sections for each episode (x 26)
2. An overall general theory section (x 1)
3. And the possibilty of discussion sections for each chapter (x 6)

It is inevitable that such discussions will overlap. I need to see more of the pros and cons of gaining six additional chapter discussion sections. For example, what is there to stop people who have watched Watanagashi-hen to start spoiling in Onikakushi-hen? If such chaos ensues, it might be better off to leave the overall discussion with that singular general theory section. Please give me your input.

Blue_Mercy 2006-05-25 13:27

I like the idea, but I don't think I'm the only the one that has a terrible time wanting to be surprised at chapters but keep hitting the spoiler button on posts anyway. Which probably seems really wierd. I would vote on putting up the chapter discussions as they finish in the anime series, this would allow people that have played the game to give input on things that were left out in the anime series.

I'll put up a really crappy pros and cons list

Pros

-It allows for a more in depth look at chapters,characters,plot and setting
-People who played the game can toss in things left out
-By putting up chapters already played in the anime it allows for more feedback from other members
-Not necessary for people to put up spoiler tags

Cons

-Overlapping with a series like this it's probably gonna more with later chapters looking back on earlier ones.
-Flaming wars are likely but maybe can be avoided (ex. the your wrong i'm right type stuff)
-Admins/Mods have to lookout for people putting in other chapter spoilers. A person may be discussing Onikakushi-hen because they have'nt seen Watanagashi-hen yet.

This is just some things I thought up off the top of my head.

Circular Logic 2006-05-25 13:49

Wouldn't it be better to separate opinions of an episode, and theories into different threads? Otherwise we just get a lot of dispersed discussion?

So I'd agree.

kj1980 2006-05-25 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Circular Logic
Wouldn't it be better to separate opinions of an episode, and theories into different threads? Otherwise we just get a lot of dispersed discussion?

So I'd agree.

On the other hand, as there are discrepancies between on "raw" viewers versus people who watch different versions of "fansubs," there still is a high possibility of people discussing so-and-so and some person accidentally reading a subject from a title he/she has not seen yet within that chapter.

So the question comes, when am I to make these threads for each chapter? After the episode airs in Japan, or after all the "fansub" groups finished that chapter? So it seems that the fansubs finished the Onikakushi-hen chapter, I can go and make a discussion section for Onikakushi-hen. However, Watanagashi-hen finished over here in Japan, but no "fansub" group has finished it yet (and possibly only one will this weekend). Will it be "safe" to say to make a Watanagashi-hen thread even though other people have not watched that chapter in it's entireity due to reasons of choosing whether to watch a non-subtitled Japanese "raw," or preference over certain "fansub" groups?

rooboy 2006-05-25 14:26

I would say when it becomes available in Japan (the same as for an episode). I know I generally stay out of the thread until I've actually seen the episode, so I know other people can do it as well.

kj1980 2006-05-25 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by rooboy666
I would say when it becomes available in Japan (the same as for an episode). I know I generally stay out of the thread until I've actually seen the episode, so I know other people can do it as well.

Yes, but that in turn is a dangerous understatement. It's like going to an thread that discusses about the latter half of Star Wars (IV, V, VI). Many will go there to discuss after they see everything. However, you cannot dismiss the possibility of some people going in there by only seeing IV. So when they come in, they are in shock because they find out Luke's father was Darth Vader.

So in order to avoid this, I write a statement to only see this thread after you've seen ALL the four episodes pertaining to that specific chapter. Would everyone agree to this part? If you see it without watching the ALL of that chapter, it is that person's own responsibility. Is this agreeable?

Circular Logic 2006-05-25 14:42

Well, spoiler tags are always good ^^

Why not just mark your spoiler with whether it has information from the RAW or not?

FubaredByAnime 2006-05-25 14:47

I remember my original reason for asking for separate chapter arcs was mainly for organization purposes. The biggest concern was cross-referencing between threads for theories. The hardest part is getting people to realize this and writing in the "correct" threads.

If you do decide to create separate threads for each chapter, it should be for the start of the first episode starting that chapter. Let comments, opinions, raves and rants about quality in animation and translation be for eps threads. Let more speculation, theories and guesswork about what the hell is going on be in the chapter arcs and general theory.

Also, IMHO, let people know it contains spoilers because personally I'm getting tired of using SPOILER tags. If someone truly is reading chapter arcs for theories and speculations without watching the show, he/she deserves to get spoiled. I think SPOILER tags should be for info from the game that's not in the anime or are true game plot spoiler points the viewer is not aware of yet.

Edited: Wow, like 4 comments added that I didn't read while I wrote this, so if you think my comments are directed to you in a harsh way, it's probably because I wasn't aware of it at the time.

kj1980 2006-05-25 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by FubaredByAnime
I remember my original reason for asking for separate chapter arcs was mainly for organization purposes. The biggest concern was cross-referencing between threads for theories. The hardest part is getting people to realize this and writing in the "correct" threads.

If you do decide to create separate threads for each chapter, it should be for the start of the first episode starting that chapter. Let comments, opinions, raves and rants about quality in animation and translation be for eps threads. Let more speculation, theories and guesswork about what the hell is going on be in the chapter arcs and general theory.

Also, IMHO, let people know it contains spoilers because personally I'm getting tired of using SPOILER tags. If someone truly is reading chapter arcs for theories and speculations without watching the show, he/she deserves to get spoiled. I think SPOILER tags should be for info from the game that's not in the anime or are true game plot spoiler points the viewer is not aware of yet.

Edited: Wow, like 4 comments added that I didn't read while I wrote this, so if you think my comments are directed to you in a harsh way, it's probably because I wasn't aware of it at the time.

What you are asking seems to be good organization, but has the high probabilty of the increase in cross-referenced posts.

Okay, let me rephrase: what makes it difficult right now between discussing each pertaining episode and a singular general theory section that we have now? If you've seen up to Ep.8, you can write your thoughts on Ep. 8 thread. If you want to discuss it overall, you have the general discussion section. Do we really need to have more subdivisions? Wouldn't that make things more complicated, if not on your end, but on moderating ends as well?

As for spoiler tags, the rule stands. I have far too many seen the loss of interest for blurting out spoilers from the Fate thread, and I do not wish to allow ANY game spoiler whatsoever in the thread (except for the thread noted as game spoiler).

Circular Logic 2006-05-25 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj1980
Okay, let me rephrase: what makes it difficult right now between discussing each pertaining episode and a singular general theory section that we have now? If you've seen up to Ep.8, you can write your thoughts on Ep. 8 thread. If you want to discuss it overall, you have the general discussion section. Do we really need to have more subdivisions? Wouldn't that make things more complicated, if not on your end, but on moderating ends as well?

Main problem is that we have different people's theories on different episode threads AND on the general discussion thread, and then they refer back to their own or other's posts on a different thread. If we had an arc discussion thread, and left the episode threads simply for discussing the quality, memorable parts, etc. of the episode, it would reduce confusion, surely?

FubaredByAnime 2006-05-25 15:40

Quote:

What you are asking seems to be good organization, but has the high probabilty of the increase in cross-referenced posts.

Yeah, and that's why I stated that "the hardest part is getting people to realize this and writing in the 'correct' threads." It'll probably be more work for all the moderators, so that's why I don't push on these things.

Personally for me, my true feelings are that I don't care one way or another at this point. I've been with the show since the beginning and have read the threads here in and out enough to know when and where certain members have made their comments. The number of people who currently currently contributing is fairly small and it's not difficult to maneuver around to find overlapping comments across the board. The only thing I do think about is the momentum of new fans coming to the show and to this board, but at the rate things are going, it doesn't seem bad. So that's my 2 cents.

Quote:

As for spoiler tags, the rule stands. I have far too many seen the loss of interest for blurting out spoilers from the Fate thread, and I do not wish to allow ANY game spoiler whatsoever in the thread (except for the thread noted as game spoiler).
OFFTOPIC: I understand your concern and I'm sure we all appreciate the hard work on preventing spoilers. That said, FSN is an not an example of people losing interest because of they found out too much but because of higher/different expectations and a delivery it didn't plan to make. Not a problem of the show of course, but of the fanbase who were prepared for too much, I guess.

I mean seriously, you think people would stop watching when they hear about a
Spoiler:

Vicke 2006-05-25 16:29

Why not just let the thread for the last episode in a chapter be both for discussing the episode and for the whole chapter.

rooboy 2006-05-25 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicke
Why not just let the thread for the last episode in a chapter be both for discussing the episode and for the whole chapter.

Well, because the thread for the last episode doesn't go up until it airs in Japan, which means that all of the speculation and theories wouldn't be able to go into it until we've already seen the whole arc.

Though I think you have a good idea if you just switch it to the first episode in a chapter.

Nics 2006-05-26 15:11

Quote:

It is inevitable that such discussions will overlap. I need to see more of the pros and cons of gaining six additional chapter discussion sections. For example, what is there to stop people who have watched Watanagashi-hen to start spoiling in Onikakushi-hen? If such chaos ensues, it might be better off to leave the overall discussion with that singular general theory section. Please give me your input.

Hm, I can understand where you are coming from, but if you have one general discussion for all theories, then it will be difficult for newbies to jump in and bring up a chapter that was last posted about 2 pages ago, etc.

Plus since it's just one general theory thread, then people who do catch on late probably end up spoiling themselves by reading something they don't understand until they are caught up with the series.

I suppose you could only start a new thread for each chapter after that chapter has already finished airing in Japan, and not so much wait for the fansubs since we can't predict when they will be released. Plus should a late comer have a question or theory, then it's still in line with the current'ness of the thread?

Sorry if I bring up the possibility of 'late comers' but I just watched the wind fansubs because I couldn't wait for Ayu any longer, and I'm flat out hooked. :twitch:

kj1980 2006-05-26 18:06

I still have little doubts for yet another thread, but I've created them to see how it works out. If it works out fine, then that's great. If it starts degenerating or if it isn't serving it's purpose, it'll be abolished. Everyone agree?

I<3killerloli's 2006-06-01 19:40

Is there a thread for the fighting fangame "Daybreak" yet? I think you should create one and people can provide menu translations ect. and updates as to when the new version is coming out (as there is only a demon now)

Guido 2006-06-15 08:57

I would like to propose a thread to discuss which were the scariest moments for the Higurashi fans not only about the anime but also both the manga and the game in particular.

However, the most glaring drawback I see on this proposal is that some veteran fans, who have already played through the game or read the latest manga arcs, will slip heavy spoilers concerning the other "arcs" which the anime has not aired yet. Considering that the Tsumihoroboshi-hen arc has started, and the anime will only cover two out of the four "answer" arcs: Meakashi-hen and Tsumihoroboshi-hen.

Freakman 2006-06-15 08:59

As far as I know, neither of the game players here would commit such foul play.

Li Jianliang 2006-08-11 22:43

Can we have a Poll Thread for "Favorite Higurashi Character(s) + Why" after the anime finishes? The poll should be multiple-choice, and people should be able to select as many or few options as they want.

I was thinking that it'd be interesting to have two of these polls, one right after Onikakushi-hen and the other after Tsumihoroboshi-hen, to see how people's views on the characters change. But bah, it's too late for #1...

xris 2006-08-12 04:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Li Jianliang
Can we have a Poll Thread for "Favorite Higurashi Character(s) + Why" after the anime finishes? The poll should be multiple-choice, and people should be able to select as many or few options as they want.

I was thinking that it'd be interesting to have two of these polls, one right after Onikakushi-hen and the other after Tsumihoroboshi-hen, to see how people's views on the characters change. But bah, it's too late for #1...

Good idea, surprized it hasn't been requested before :)

The only question is what characters to include in the poll, we can have a fair number (but I think we should limit it to under 20 choices). I've only seen up to ep 13 so I'm not the best person to make the choice. Wiki lists 21 characters altogether.

The poll will be multiple choice and public (similar to the "Favourite Character" polls in the other series specific forums).

Kevs 2006-08-29 18:47

Perhaps there should be a thread about stuff the anime left out from the game after it ends. It seems as if the anime is leaving a lot of details out, and after reading this post

Spoiler:

and finding out more about the twins, I believe it would be beneficial to everyone if we were to find out everything that is missing.

Li Jianliang 2006-08-30 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by xris
The only question is what characters to include in the poll, we can have a fair number (but I think we should limit it to under 20 choices). I've only seen up to ep 13 so I'm not the best person to make the choice.

I'd recommend the poll to have at least:
Maebara Keiichi
Ryugu Rena
Sonozaki Mion
Hojo Satoko
Furude Rika
Sonozaki Shion
Hojo Satoshi
Kuraudo Oishi
Irie Kyosuke
Tomitake Jiro
Takano Miyo
Akasaka Mamoru

(Basically anyone who appears on-screen for multiple episodes and stands a high chance of dying)

Other characters to consider, but I'm not sure if they're important enough:
Sonozaki Oryo - The Sonozaki Head and onibaba.
Kimiyoshi Kiichiro - The Village Head; Shion suspects him of demoning away Satoshi in at least one arc.
Chie Rumiko - Teacher; most significant action was reporting Satoko's abuse, which fails.
Tatsuyoshi Kasai - Shion's bodyguard; he is kind of cool, but really doesn't do much on-screen other than wearing an apron.
Hojo Teppei - Child abuser, womanizer, alcoholic. I'm not sure who would like this guy; at least he dies at the bat of Keiichi in one arc. He is significant factor in driving the events of Tatarigoroshi-hen.
Hojo Tamae - Appears and dies rather quickly. Significant only in that she represents the 4th year's Oyashiro-sama's Curse.
Furude Ha'nyu - Doesn't even appear in the anime, I think. Nevermind.