AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Manga (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Kami-sama no Iutoori (Like God Says) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=117086)

marvelB 2013-01-02 00:14

Kami-sama no Iutoori (Like God Says)

I searched, but I haven't found a thread for this series, so I figured I'd take matters into my own hands. That being said:

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=62194

Quote:

Takahata Shun's day at high school begins just as normal and boring as ever, but it doesn't end that way. After his teacher's head explodes, he and his classmates find themselves forced to play children's games, such as Daruma ga Koronda (a game like Red Light/Green Light), with deadly stakes. With no idea who is behind this mysterious deadly game session, and no way of knowing when it will finally end, the only thing Shun and other students can do is keep trying to win...

If I had to describe this series, I'd have to say that it's a bit similar to Gantz (especially when it comes to the high number of throwaway deaths). But rather than directly battling supernatural threats to the death, it's more like the protagonists basically all play deadly children's games against them instead (as the above summary says). I just started reading it a couple nights ago and found it really addictive. I also really like how over-the-top it can be . So far my favorite game was the one with the giant cat, which had some true WTF moments indeed.....

Right now I'm at chapter 15, but there's currently 20 chapters total at the moment. And while some people may lynch me for this, I'm actually liking this series a lot more than Gantz, mainly because I feel that it doesn't take itself nearly as seriously (it also helps that everyone doesn't look like some plastic mannequin, but that's just personal taste, I think). Heck, one of the characters even reminds me of Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter (right down to getting a boner when he's excited about fighting someone strong, lol :p). So yeah, I totally recommend checking this one out! I'm definitely already looking forward to the next chapter release despite me not being caught up yet....

marvelB 2013-01-02 15:16

So now I'm caught up with all the translated chapters:

Spoiler:

marvelB 2013-01-09 00:01

Bumping for chapter 21!

Spoiler:

Anyways, since it looks like the story is going to be switching to a weekly format from now on (starting next week in fact), maybe that would get some more folks interested in this series? It would be nice if I weren't the only one here discussing this series.....

Xion Valkyrie 2013-01-09 00:56

I'm reading it, but because there basically seems to be no rules and the power difference seems to be so big between the characters and 'god', it's hard to get that excited about it. Part of reading these kind of manga (Gantz, Battle Royale, etc) is trying to see the characters overcome the rules imposed by the system, but here it seems like whatever they do they're just dancing around for 'god's entertainment anyways. The other thing is, in the previous manga I mentioned there's a lot more attention paid to the characters, we get to see how people respond to their situation, and whether they develop into heroes or crack. The characters also last much longer so you get attached to them before they get offed. The cast just switches way too quickly in this manga so you don't really get attached, and the main character has PLOT armor too so you know he's not going to bite it.

Kleeyook 2013-01-09 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie (Post 4505435)
I'm reading it, but because there basically seems to be no rules and the power difference seems to be so big between the characters and 'god', it's hard to get that excited about it. Part of reading these kind of manga (Gantz, Battle Royale, etc) is trying to see the characters overcome the rules imposed by the system, but here it seems like whatever they do they're just dancing around for 'god's entertainment anyways. The other thing is, in the previous manga I mentioned there's a lot more attention paid to the characters, we get to see how people respond to their situation, and whether they develop into heroes or crack. The characters also last much longer so you get attached to them before they get offed. The cast just switches way too quickly in this manga so you don't really get attached, and the main character has PLOT armor too so you know he's not going to bite it.

I think that those two manga you mention kinda suck at playing according to the rules. They're more like red-blue killing (team battle) and another one is just a battle royal (the weak ones wouldn't survive). And Gantz is simply invalid for trying to overcome god... Battle Royal is quite good that they kinda succeed, against authority.

WHat I mean to say is that your opion lost its credit the moment you mention Gantz. :(

Izayoi 2013-01-09 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie (Post 4505435)
I'm reading it, but because there basically seems to be no rules and the power difference seems to be so big between the characters and 'god', it's hard to get that excited about it. Part of reading these kind of manga (Gantz, Battle Royale, etc) is trying to see the characters overcome the rules imposed by the system, but here it seems like whatever they do they're just dancing around for 'god's entertainment anyways.

You probably haven't read up to the latest chapters. Here are couple of the latest development in regards to those points if you feel like spoiling yourself:

Spoiler for Assuming you might not have caught up to latest chapter:

I do agree the power difference is big. However, that is typical in this sort of "Death game" manga.

marvelB 2013-01-09 15:24

Perhaps under different circumstances I'd be somewhat bothered by the power gap thing, but as previously stated, it doesn't because the series clearly doesn't take itself too seriously (the identity of the "God" himself is proof enough of that ;)).

As far as character longevity goes, I recall tons of characters in Gantz dropping like flies with barely any development as well, so I'm not sure if that's the best comparison to make, either (though admittedly it has been a while since I've been caught up to the series.... but I doubt I can expect much change from a series that regularly featured random scantily clad chicks on most of its splash pages :rolleyes:). IMO, Shingeki no Kyojin is currently the best "survival"-type series that really fleshed out a majority of its main cast (even the ones who died), but maybe I'm in the minority for feeling that way....

Anyways, I wonder what crazy new survival game will come up next? Personally, I'd love to see one as crazy as the battle against the cat (my favorite one so far due to how WTF it was :p).

Kleeyook 2013-01-12 16:27

Umm. It's back. The new series, over 60 pages on Chinese sites.

Spoiler for Kamisama no Iutoori 2 ch 1:

Xion Valkyrie 2013-01-12 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleeyook (Post 4505985)
I think that those two manga you mention kinda suck at playing according to the rules. They're more like red-blue killing (team battle) and another one is just a battle royal (the weak ones wouldn't survive). And Gantz is simply invalid for trying to overcome god... Battle Royal is quite good that they kinda succeed, against authority.

WHat I mean to say is that your opion lost its credit the moment you mention Gantz. :(

Gantz didn't have the whole God thing until the last ~10 or so chapters. For pretty much most of the first half of the series they had pretty strict rules (although some were hidden).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izayoi (Post 4506013)
You probably haven't read up to the latest chapters. Here are couple of the latest development in regards to those points if you feel like spoiling yourself:

Spoiler for Assuming you might not have caught up to latest chapter:

I do agree the power difference is big. However, that is typical in this sort of "Death game" manga.

Usually in these kinds of death games if the supernatural is involved the main characters usually have some kind of supernatural power too, or the admin mostly sits back and the tension and conflict is between the characters. In Mirai Nikki Deus just sits back and observes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4506107)
Perhaps under different circumstances I'd be somewhat bothered by the power gap thing, but as previously stated, it doesn't because the series clearly doesn't take itself too seriously (the identity of the "God" himself is proof enough of that ;)).

As far as character longevity goes, I recall tons of characters in Gantz dropping like flies with barely any development as well, so I'm not sure if that's the best comparison to make, either (though admittedly it has been a while since I've been caught up to the series.... but I doubt I can expect much change from a series that regularly featured random scantily clad chicks on most of its splash pages :rolleyes:). IMO, Shingeki no Kyojin is currently the best "survival"-type series that really fleshed out a majority of its main cast (even the ones who died), but maybe I'm in the minority for feeling that way....

Anyways, I wonder what crazy new survival game will come up next? Personally, I'd love to see one as crazy as the battle against the cat (my favorite one so far due to how WTF it was :p).

The arcs were MUCH longer in gantz though. The first arc lasted something close to 20 chapters alone. Even the people who show up for a mission and die get some personal backstory and closure (for example, 2nd arc with the granny and her grandson, the family in the dinosaur arc, etc). There are also more main characters that last a long time.

I don't really feel like Shngeki no Kyojin is a 'survival' type manga though, since you kind of know that most of the main characters have PLOT armor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleeyook (Post 4510311)
Umm. It's back. The new series, over 60 pages on Chinese sites.

Spoiler for Kamisama no Iutoori 2 ch 1:

Hopefully the old cast isn't ALL dead. I'm guessing the main character is going to join up with this new cast somewhere down the line.

Kleeyook 2013-01-12 17:23

^^ Umm, Kamimaro (the god) doesn't appear in the series until after Urashima Taro game (the athlete event), we're left with WTF for several chapters. Its setting is very similar to Gantz in the beginning, but with no aliens to kill. Also as I've mentioned before, using those two series to compare to this one won't do it justice. Gantz and Battle Royal are similar yet different. While this series is similar to Gantz with the setting (unexplainable things and technology) yet the game in this series isn't as simple as killing all aliens. This manga is quite unique since its setting is different than other manga that have survival game as setting besides Blue Paradox.

I'd say:

Gantz = Kill all enemies (team death match)

Btoom! = In between Gantz and Battle Royal, kill others to collect 7 of the jewels to leave the island

Battle Royal, Mirai Nikki = Kill 'em all (death match)

Kamisama no Iutoori, Blue Paradox = Clear the game (really varied)

Enigma = Clear the conditions (with ESP)

Ousama Game = Do the command from the king's SMS (Ousama) (no idea how to explain because too many deaths in the end)

Underdog = Kill other participants indirectly (tournament)

There are a few others like Deadman Wonderland (at first). It's all about fighting and killing though, not many that use real wits. BTW, every main leads in these series survive not only by how badass they are, but luck too (in the form of plot armor or deus ex machina).

Mirai Nikki has god, but he's kind of useless and never does much to interfere.

Gantz's god is simply too overpower and left on a whim.

This one, how could you judge the series when it's just begun for a few chapters for real? It's possible that it'll continue for many more chapters.

Xion Valkyrie 2013-01-12 18:20

My main problem with this series is that it moves a bit too fast. The rules are introduced, new fodder are introduced, and 3 chapters later they're dead and we're moving onto a new mini game.

marvelB 2013-01-12 18:40

Heh, maybe we should count Danganronpa as a "survival series" as well (it may originally be a videogame, but it does have a manga and even an upcoming anime adaption). I mean, it even has a similar setup (group of students trapped someplace, forced into killing each other by a "higher power" in order to escape). But at least DR takes itself even less seriously than all those other series thanks to its zany characters! :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie (Post 4510346)
The arcs were MUCH longer in gantz though. The first arc lasted something close to 20 chapters alone. Even the people who show up for a mission and die get some personal backstory and closure (for example, 2nd arc with the granny and her grandson, the family in the dinosaur arc, etc). There are also more main characters that last a long time.

Well, while the arcs may have been longer, I still recall there being characters who barely got any development despite surviving later in the missions. The people who come to mind for me are guys like that Lara Croft lookalike chick that Kurono boned at the start of the buddha alien arc and those vampires that just kind of came and went out of nowhere a few arcs later. Still, as I already said it's been a while since I've read it so maybe all those characters got a backstory by now. Who knows.

Also, didn't Kurono not just get brought back to life after being killed, but was even cloned? Maybe it's just me, but that seems like a WAY bigger cop-out than just letting the MC avoid death in the first place. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie (Post 4510346)
I don't really feel like Shngeki no Kyojin is a 'surival' type manga though, since you kind of know that most of the main characters have PLOT armor.

Eren is the only character who really has any plot armor in that series (being a titan and all). Sure, Mikasa and Armin may still be around, but even they are not guaranteed to survive up to the series' end. Plus, we've had people who had a whole volume or two of development who ended up becoming Titan fodder (like that one kid Marco from Eren's rookie group, or some of those scouting legion guys that Eren hung around with who eventually got killed by Annie). I'd definitely say that SnK counts as a survival series through and through.

Going back on topic, though.... while it's great to know that the second part finally started, I'll wait for the translation before commenting on it, I think....

Kleeyook 2013-01-12 18:56

^^ Dangan Ronpa? Hell yeah! It's adapted from PSP game though. :p

And well, anyone can die in this series. There are many characters who are shown their background, before being killed off instantly right after like the flashback is there for us to cheer the characters and lost it when they're killed (like the guy who threw the basketball). The mangaka just wants to show us that, probably.

xBakaChanx 2013-01-13 17:47

Just read first chapter of part 2, and I don't understand at all T_T are they switching the main character or something...

Kleeyook 2013-01-13 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by xBakaChanx (Post 4511871)
Just read first chapter of part 2, and I don't understand at all T_T are they switching the main character or something...

^^ Same here. It now really looks like a re-run. It's not a bad move since the mangaka can explore the events in this series from another perspective (we have no idea how others passed the previous games, if they're as badass as the previous group). But I really miss the old casts, hope we'll get to see them again soon.

xBakaChanx 2013-01-13 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleeyook (Post 4511877)
^^ Same here. It now really looks like a re-run. It's not a bad move since the mangaka can explore the events in this series from another perspective (we have no idea how others passed the previous games, if they're as badass as the previous group). But I really miss the old casts, hope we'll get to see them again soon.

I really hope he didn't make the old cast a "set up" for the new cast, and the story focuses on the new characters from now on T-T

marvelB 2013-02-05 02:31

And now I resurrect this thread from the depths of obscurity to announce that the first two chapters of the sequel have finally been translated! :D And yep, looks like we've got confirmation of the sequel being the same same story but told through the perspective of a different cast. Definitely can't wait to see if any different death games pop up this time around.....

Xion Valkyrie 2013-02-05 05:23

Huh, so basically if you weren't in school you're safe? I guess there might be enough kids still left.

alluka 2013-02-05 09:58

The new guys will probably meet the old cast afterwards, because this manga is no good without that creepy Amaya :p

What caught yinterest is the interview in the first page:
Quote:

"Kami-sama No Iutoori, a series as popular as Attack Of The Titans had its final , shocking chapter in a different magazine."
...What

marvelB 2013-02-05 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie (Post 4541551)
Huh, so basically if you weren't in school you're safe? I guess there might be enough kids still left.

You know, about that: I came across a raw for the third chapter, and well:

Spoiler for ch 3: