AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Toradora! (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Toradora! - Character Discussion - Kawashima Ami (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=73625)

xris 2008-10-30 16:20

Toradora! - Character Discussion - Kawashima Ami

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Kawashima Ami related.
http://forums.animesuki.com/picture....ictureid=11486
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Toradora! fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Shiroth 2008-10-30 16:23

Ami portrays nicely what real girls are like. :p

Eczema 2008-10-30 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiroth (Post 2024388)

I sure hope not. :upset: But I can't help but feel there may be some truth to this comment. Ami is interesting either way.

Vexx 2008-10-30 16:30

She certainly mirrors *some* females, having watched a few Ami types in action. But then I've also encountered many other types including Minorin and Taiga types.

Cat Megex 2008-10-30 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 2024406)
She certainly mirrors *some* females, having watched a few Ami types in action. But then I've also encountered many other types including Minorin and Taiga types.

What about Sumire and Yasuko types?

Vexx 2008-10-30 18:37

<sigh> wasn't going for an exhaustive list.... thanks for the heads up on gg though....

rose-wisteria 2008-10-30 18:47

Ami has finally made her appearance and I must admit I like her character. Why? Because I am always a fan of characters who are good at pulling a story along. I think Ami has done so in a single episode. :) That's just my opinion of course.

typhonsentra 2008-10-30 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiroth (Post 2024388)

You don't have a very high opinion of the opposite sex, do you?

FlareKnight 2008-10-30 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by typhonsentra (Post 2024614)

Clearly some experiences have created that kind of opinion :heh:. Though wouldn't doubt there are a good amount of Ami types out there in the world.

But still do like her character from the first appearance. She will definitely make things happen with that personality.

Shiroth 2008-10-30 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by typhonsentra (Post 2024614)

FlareKnight explains it well. I love Ami to pieces as a character, though she just reminds me of females i've met in the past.

Vexx 2008-10-30 19:28

It does have me curious though, is the student council president just a background character? When I first saw her in ep 4 I thought *she* was Ami (til she started talking). Thoroughly enjoyed her voice.

Shiroth 2008-10-30 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 2024678)
It does have me curious though, is the student council president just a background character? When I first saw her in ep 4 I thought *she* was Ami (til she started talking). Thoroughly enjoyed her voice.

I also thought that, must be the hair.

She looks like a background character then. Just like the classmates.

stormy001_M1A2 2008-10-30 19:39

Narcissism describes the trait of excessive self-love, based on self-image or ego.
The term is drived from the Greek mythology of Narcissus. Narcissus was a handsome Greek youth who rejected the desperate advances of the nymph Echo. As punishment, he was doomed to fall in love with his own reflection in a pool of water. Unable to consummate his love, Narcissus pined away and changed into the flower that bears his name, the narcissus.

A Boeotian hero whose archaic myth was a cautionary tale warning boys against being cruel to their lovers.

In psychology and psychiatry, excessive narcissism is recognized as a severe personality dysfunction or personality disorder, most characteristically Narcissistic personality disorder, also referred to as NPD.

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance
2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique
4. requires excessive admiration
5. has a sense of entitlement
6. is interpersonally exploitative
7. lacks empathy
8. is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Source

5 out of 10. Heh.

Vexx 2008-10-30 19:48

Actually, I'd venture she scores 9 out of 9 but probably has a hidden "7" that may be her saving grace :)

She's really more of a sad little puppy that bites than evil. I suspect we'll discover that quite soon.

Cat Megex 2008-10-30 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 2024678)

Well, yes and no. She is somewhat of a background character in the main story, but has a slightly bigger role in the spinoff.

Myssa Rei 2008-10-30 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat Megex (Post 2024744)
Well, yes and no. She is somewhat of a background character in the main story, but has a slightly bigger role in the spinoff.

Aren't you confusing Sumire with her SISTER? ;)

Cat Megex 2008-10-30 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myssa Rei (Post 2024838)
Aren't you confusing Sumire with her SISTER? ;)

No. The sister has a much bigger role in the spinoff (being a main character and all). It's just that I've just heard that there are a few scenes involving more interactions between Kitamura and Sumire. *shrugs*

Eczema 2008-10-30 23:47

There's a Toradora spinoff?

Cat Megex 2008-10-31 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eczema (Post 2025075)
There's a Toradora spinoff?

It's a single volume. The last chapter of the second Toradora novel is sort of a preview for the spinoff, I think.

Peanutbutter 2008-10-31 05:23

In real life, I stay away from such characters. They can get too manipulative. :uhoh: