AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Spice and Wolf (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Spice and Wolf - Q & A (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=61311)

NoSanninWa 2008-01-23 07:32

This thread is for those of you with questions about the Spice and Wolf anime or manga. There are many questions that don't need a whole thread to discuss them. A simple practical answer straight from the anime or manga without any speculation can solve these connundrums. If someone has such a question about Spice and Wolf which can be solved by answering with facts from an official source, then please ask that question here.

Please don't post in this thread unless you are asking a question or answering one. Please remember that it only takes 1 person to answer a question. And don't speculate! You can only reply with cold, hard, merciliessly unforgivable facts. If you have to speculate, then please just tell the querrant that no answer is known, but here are some facts that might help him make up his own mind.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime, manga, or any non-anime source. Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags, as shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...al/spoiler.gif icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how I create spoiler tags.
or
The macho way: By using those uber vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:

Spectacular_Insanity 2008-01-23 11:28

Woohoo! First post! XD

Anyway, in case this doesn't get answered in the other thread, how old is Lawrence actually? Does the manga (or anime) ever actually say?

Khaos 2008-01-23 11:31

Somewhere it was said, he was 25. Don't remember where exactly.

The Chaos 2008-01-23 12:09

It In ANN ....He 25 years old.. :)
Horo 15 years old ..

xris 2008-01-23 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chaos (Post 1357848)
Horo 15 years old ..

This is inaccurate. She has the appearance of a 15 year old girl but her actual age? Perhaps a manga reader can tell us if this has been stated or implied.

GuidoHunter_Toki 2008-01-23 13:21

Well she is a god so I'm guessing perhaps in the hundreds age wise.

Masanori Ota 2008-01-23 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by xris (Post 1357910)
This is inaccurate. She has the appearance of a 15 year old girl but her actual age? Perhaps a manga reader can tell us if this has been stated or implied.

Spoiler for Horo's age as stated in the novel:

The Chaos 2008-01-23 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masanori Ota (Post 1357984)

Really That Old....Thanks For Info.. :)

Vexx 2008-01-23 13:38

Khaos 2008-01-23 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 1357990)
As for her *appearance*, 15yr old girl is used a lot.. but in fact, she could pass for 14-20ish, so that's an arm-waving estimate in my opinion.

Yup, I know a 18 year old woman who would easily pass as a 13 or 14 year old (she's half asian). And I guess this is not so rare in Japan as it is in Europe.

Masanori Ota 2008-01-23 13:53

In medieval Europe, hard work normally took its toll upon a human's body quite quickly. People aged much faster than they do now and you were lucky to live past 40 years. I read somewhere that in WaS/SaW's universe no one, or very few, have lived past the age 75.

Onizuka-GTO 2008-01-23 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masanori Ota (Post 1358012)
In medieval Europe, hard work normally took its toll upon a human's body quite quickly. People aged much faster than they do now and you were lucky to live past 40 years. I read somewhere that in WaS/SaW's universe no one, or very few, have lived past the age 75.

Yeah, look at Lawrence, he looks more like 30 then 25, :rolleyes:

Vexx 2008-01-23 14:18

Actually my wife (japanese extraction) was routinely carded for age at bars until she was 40ish. I suffered a lot of "how dare you be with such a tiny young thing" looks for several decades. Even now, I'll catch 20-somethings giving her the "look" (which makes it hilarious when they discover she's old enough to be their mom). But it isn't just asians... a couple of my son's best friends (age 17 of European extraction), each young lady could easily pass for 15, 20, even 25 (they carry themselves well). Its just not that easy to nail an age estimate.

From what I've read.. the "average lifespan of 40" had more to do with the massive number of newborns that usually died (some cultures didn't even count the kid as born until a week had passed after delivery --- there's a reason that christening isn't done right after birth) and then injury, infection... respiratory illness... so the mortality chart looks like an upside down bell curve with bumps throughout.

Joan of Arc was executed at age 19 after having led armies. Alexander the Great did 90% of his conquering before the age of 25 (died in his 30s). Live fast, die young....

Since Horo is a young goddess (only 600), she thinks of herself as a young woman and that's how she instantiates herself. Her talk and the look in her eyes belie much more age. Thinking a bit of Elda from the series Karin.

Chiibi 2008-01-24 12:56

Which subbed version is best to follow? I like BBS's translations but they don't do the karaoke of the opening which is unfortunate for me because I enjoy learning the lyrics and singing along.:(

Omigosh Vex, you're right! Horo IS like Elda! o.o

Masanori Ota 2008-01-24 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiibi (Post 1359972)
Which subbed version is best to follow? I like BBS's translations but they don't do the karaoke of the opening which is unfortunate for me because I enjoy learning the lyrics and singing along.:(

BSS is the fastest. No one beats them in speed for SaW/WaS. As for actually saving a hard copy of the episode for archival purposes, I can't help 'ya. I don't archive. I watch and delete. My memory does the rest, and if I need to really see something again I'll just download whichever torrents have the most seeds.

Ellaya_dw 2008-01-24 13:26

Quote:

According to AniDB, Ayako's translation is better, than BSS, but BSS has better video quality. Decisions, decisions...

FatPianoBoy 2008-01-24 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 1358054)
Since Horo is a young goddess (only 600), she thinks of herself as a young woman and that's how she instantiates herself. Her talk and the look in her eyes belie much more age. Thinking a bit of Elda from the series Karin.

Fitting comparison. I've always thought that the quiet demeanor that befalls older people comes from their perceived proximity to the grave as opposed to years already lived. You're only as old as you feel, and Horo seems to feel like she's 600 going on 16.

Masanori Ota 2008-01-24 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellaya_dw (Post 1360008)
According to AniDB, Ayako's translation is better, than BSS, but BSS has better video quality. Decisions, decisions...

Ayako's isn't out yet. You can't download what hasn't been released. That's why I torrent BSS, because they're the fastest.

xris 2008-01-24 15:22

Quote:

Woah, woah there. Please oh please read the first post of this thread.

Here, let me make it easy for you, read the following.
Quote:

This thread is for those of you with questions about the Spice and Wolf anime or manga.

If someone has such a question about Spice and Wolf which can be solved by answering with facts from an official source, then please ask that question here.
Asking for the best fansub version is pure subjective opinion so is totally outside the scope of this thread. In fact it is so much based on subjective opinion we do not normally allow threads of this nature at all. If you want to know, then download the different versions yourself and make your own choice based on you own personal criteria.

Any further questions or answers on this topic will be deleted :eyebrow:

Vexx 2008-01-24 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy (Post 1360014)
Fitting comparison. I've always thought that the quiet demeanor that befalls older people comes from their perceived proximity to the grave as opposed to years already lived. You're only as old as you feel, and Horo seems to feel like she's 600 going on 16.

Of course... having a properly self-repairing body helps a lot. I can feel 25 all I want and actually do... but slowly the body starts telling you to "stop doing that" (like today I've got a knee ligament whining and moaning FNAR and when I look in the mirror I see my dad instead of me... though with much longer hair).
I could easily go a few hundred years without being bored if the mechanics would keep working... but I find the psychology and the memory management speculations of fictional 'Methuseleh' types to be interesting.

I noted that Horo could remember the details of 'what' she learned but had trouble remembering the 'who' and 'when' of things from long ago.