AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Clannad (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Dubbing of CLANNAD TV (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=73284)

kk2extreme 2008-11-22 20:26

hope it wont end up like kanon to have funimation to pick up the rest of them.

Vegard Aune 2008-11-23 05:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2extreme (Post 2068752)
hope it wont end up like kanon to have funimation to pick up the rest of them.

Don't worry, the chances of that happening are extremely close to zero. So close that I'll just say "It's not gonna happen". The Kanon-situation happened because of ADV's money-partner leaving them due to a lack of sales, and if this happens again so quickly... I don't think it will.

VRMN 2008-12-30 22:54

More than likely, this "wish list" of sorts' fate has already been determined even before I sat down to think about it earlier this month. All things considered, with an April release, ADV probably knows who is playing whom if they haven't already begun recording. This is just about the only new title ADV has that I'm aware of, so I don't think it's unlikely that the entire resources of the company are behind making it a success.

As one of my all-time favorite series, this is one dub I am very much interested in. I already heartily enjoyed the dubs of both Kanon and Air so my expectations of this – arguably easier – localization are sky high and I don't believe unfairly so. With that said, this is my preliminary list. I included most of the notable cast, as well as a notable role for each voice actor that played into my choosing them. I kept to reality as well, and you'll notice that all the choices have played roles in ADV or Funimation (Texas) productions.

So, have fun with this. Go ahead and tear me a new one, or give comments, or whatnot. I'd like to see this come to be, but if you think someone else is better suited to a role, I'd like to hear who and why.

Primary Cast:

Tomoya Okazaki: Jay Hickman (Ryuya in Air)
Nagisa Furukawa: Hillary Hagg (Akari in 5 Centimeters per Second)
Kyou Fujibayashi: Luci Christian (Kaname in Full Metal Panic!)
Kotomi Ichinose: Carrie Savage (Haruka in Rumbling Hearts)
Tomoyo Sakagami: Colleen Clinkenbeard (Mitsuki in Rumbling Hearts)
Fuko Ibuki: Monica Rial (Konoka in Negima!?)

Primary Supporting Cast:

Youhei Sunohara: Vic Mignogna (Kurz in Full Metal Panic!)
Ryou Fujibayashi: Leah Clark (Nodoka in Negima!?)
Sanae Furukawa: Jessica Boone (Nayuki in Kanon)
Akio Furukawa: Chris Patton (Sousuke in Full Metal Panic!)

Secondary Supporting Cast:

Misae Sagara: Tiffany Grant (Asuka in Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Mei Sunohara: Brittany Karbowski (Ayu in Kanon)
Yukine Miyazawa: Maggie Flecknoe (Shiori in Kanon)
Kouko Ibuki: Joanne Bonasso (Akiko in Kanon)
Yusuke Yoshino: Chris Ayres (Hayashimizu in FMP? Fumoffu)
Toshio Koumura: Andy McAvin (Kimura in Azumanga Daioh)
'My' Voice (Illusionary World): Shannon Emerick (Yuichi [Age 10] in Kanon)
'Girl' (Illusionary World): Caitlin Glass (Winry in Fullmetal Alchemist)

Ithekro 2008-12-31 02:01

Just how would Mei's "onii-chan" bit to Tomoya work out in English?

VRMN 2008-12-31 02:33

"Big brother" seems the likely translation. Doesn't have the same connotations in English, so they'd probably have to adjust the joke a tad, but it shouldn't be that hard to pull off. There aren't a ton of tricky translation issues with Clannad as there are with Kanon and even Air, which is why my expectations are rather high with the dub (well, that combined with the stellar job ADV did with the other two Key adaptations).

brocko 2008-12-31 02:39

I'm more curious on how they'll handle Kotomi and Tomoya's first meeting in the library seeing as though she only ever responds to Kotomi-chan :heh:

Cyz 2008-12-31 02:39

Jay Hickman is playing as Tomoya? Well, I prefer having Vic played him because his voice is not as deep as Jay's. For Nagisa, well, I guess it's better. I must say that Luci Christian will be playing Kyou and Brittney for Mei suits best. Hm, don't tell me they're going to put a VA for Botan like they did to Potato?

fallenangelash 2008-12-31 09:20

i say use the curveball and use todd haberkorn for tomoya. he's got a great voice.

j michael tatum for yoshino!

Tyabann 2008-12-31 14:05

I've said it before, Vic would be the best Sunohara ever.

HOMERUN!

EmperorBrandon 2008-12-31 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyz (Post 2135630)
Hm, don't tell me they're going to put a VA for Botan like they did to Potato?

Well, why not? Otherwise Botan would be mute in the dub...

Ithekro 2008-12-31 14:14

Puh, Puh! :)

Aza-oniichan 2009-01-02 08:10

is saying "puhi puhi puhi" sound difficult? Why didn't they add some "originalities" by recording a real pig sound for botan?

McMilk 2009-01-09 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aza-oniichan (Post 2139073)
is saying "puhi puhi puhi" sound difficult? Why didn't they add some "originalities" by recording a real pig sound for botan?

Real pig recordings? I really can't imagine Botan going, realistically, "oink oink". Wouldn't that just totally ruin the whole purpose of Botan being a cute figure or something? I mean, there has to be a reason why the creators made Botan go "Puhi puhi" instead of "Oink oink" in the first place...

Haruyasha 2009-01-10 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenemis (Post 2007687)
Good luck, have fun, Kotomi's future VA.

To be honest, I can't wait to hear her voice actor especially. I need something refreshing after hearing Koto in nearly every single anime.

Vegard Aune 2009-01-13 05:40

So, according to the solictation over on AoD/Mania.com, the first set will be released in March, and... Will be sub-only, so unless that's a solictation-error, I guess this thread was just rendered pointless?

FireChick 2009-01-13 16:22

Quote:

Youhei Sunohara: Vic Mignogna (Kurz in Full Metal Panic!)
YES!!! I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!!! Vic would make an EPIC Sunohara I swear!

But...I think Blake Shepard would be better for Tomoya. He does the voice of Kantaro from Tactics whose actually pretty good. But Jay Hickman seems good too! But...I wish ADV would dub it! Waaagh!:(

Ryusiangel 2009-01-13 19:57

i'm hoping there is a mistake and it will be dub
:( what happen if i go can't read one of these days there be no choice to make dub >: (

demonix 2009-01-14 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryusiangel (Post 2159539)
i'm hoping there is a mistake and it will be dub

It isn't a mistake as ADV has announced that the sets will be sub only.

To put it simply the fans wanted it released as quickly and as cheaply as possible which means the only way ADV could do this was to ditch the dub.

Which makes this thread surplus to requirements now.

Proto 2009-01-14 11:24

Hmm... it seems like a far fetched bet. This offer will definitely permeate well with the existing market, specially those already familiar with KyoAni's previous adaptations and to a minor extent those with a general interest in anime. But it will definitely will not work well in increasing their market base. I hope this kind of releases don't become a rule, and instead just something intended for a minor (say, a third of their releases) number of titles or they'll be signing their own demise.

CrowKenobi 2009-01-14 14:21

I was expecting a solid dub in the likes of Air and Kanon for Clannad, but as of now, I'm going to pass on it.

I do hope that ADV does come back later to dub it (ala Bandai and Gurren Lagann) which would make it a must buy for me!

:cool: