AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   True Love Story..and yet (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=9044)

Go-lytely 2004-03-09 00:20

True Love Story..and yet

Anyone seen this anime? The storyline doesnt seem too original; Girl likes guy but hes too dense to realize, and they have some connection in the past. I'm assuming there is a game of the same name since so many girls pop up in each episode. Despite all this, I think the show is likable. Mostly because of the adorable Hina.

babbito2k 2004-03-09 01:34

I don't mind if shows are not original. Originality is not the same as creativity. If a show can do something with its characters and get some decent scenes out of its story then I'm good to go.

True Love Story is a Playstation game series that goes back to 1996. I don't really know anything about the games. This OAV is based on "Summer Days, and yet..." from last year.

I guess the girl you are referring to is Hina, the shy one with brown hair. She has a link to Morisaki but is not a childhood friend like Yako (edit: guess again). Yako is nice and super cute but she is really fishing for some attention; it doesn't look good for her. Arimori is so cute that even blockheaded Morisaki noticed her, but she and Yuriko (the library girl) are strangers and thus the dark horses in scenarios like this.

I wonder why Ruri (the sister) is giving off so much fanservice 0_o;;

This show has good but not great production values. The characters are being filled in adequately but the scenes are kind of understated. Morisaki is kind of morose to go along with his thickheadedness; there isn't much to work with besides Hina's angst. There are only 3 episodes to this so it is unfair to expect too much, I guess.

relentlessflame 2004-03-09 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by babbito2k
This show has good but not great production values. The characters are being filled in adequately but the scenes are kind of understated. Morisaki is kind of morose to go along with his thickheadedness; there isn't much to work with besides Hina's angst. There are only 3 episodes to this so it is unfair to expect too much, I guess.

Yeah, you're pretty much right. Hina is certainly the star of the show, but there's really not too much to work with. It's quite easy to tell that this is simply a reward for fans of the game - as a standalone project, it's not bad, but doesn't stick out either. It's still enjoyable enough, though, if you like the genre. The one thing that kind of annoys me the most in this show is the way they draw the characters - I realize it's supposed to look like they look in the illustrations from the game... but... I don't know, I just can't get used to it. It doesn't seem to quite match the animation style of the backgrounds and environments - it's as if they forced the animators to make the characters look as close to the game illustrations as possible, no matter what. As I said, though, it's still not bad.

I'm not sure that's totally unfair to have expectations, though, even though it's a short OVA based on a game. For example, I thought that the Mizuiro 2003 two-episode OVA, which is also based on a game, was excellent...

Greenish Growth 2004-03-09 15:51

I like these kind of stories, but True Love Stories didn't stand out too much with me. It's okay, but I lack an emotional connection to the story and the characters.

I liked Mizuiro 2nd OVA (2003), Suika OVA and Refrain Blue OVA a lot despite them being only two, three and three episodes long respectively. It's harder to write a good emotional romance story when it's only two or three episodes long, but it can be done if you have the right story and screenwriter. I thought Campus and Koihime were very good too considering they were both only two episodes long.

I would like to see the last episode of True Love Stories, but even more so I would like to see the second and third episodes of Memories Off 2nd OVA subbed. It was a fairly decent OVA. ^_^

babbito2k 2004-05-17 02:18

Well, that's over. The last episode was confusing. It started off in the middle of something having to do with lunch. I either can't remember stuff from episode 2 or it was just a random place to start... after that I had a hard time keeping up with anything except Hina and her angst. Even the backstory was a little muddled... the kitten... the balloon... Ruri's toy alligator... they were all kind of swirling around... O_o;;;

The ending was very definite, anyway. Hina actually did something, which was a welcome change. Even Morisaki got to talk a little. Having all the characters around at the end was dumb, though. It didn't do anything for the story - it was just a way to name-check everyone from the game one last time, I guess.

Maybe someday I will watch the whole thing again straight through, but I am in no hurry.

Yamano667 2004-05-17 11:18

Its rare that series based on games are good ^_^;

Quote:

Originally Posted by babbito2k
Well, that's over. The last episode was confusing. It started off in the middle of something having to do with lunch. I either can't remember stuff from episode 2 or it was just a random place to start... after that I had a hard time keeping up with anything except Hina and her angst. Even the backstory was a little muddled... the kitten... the balloon... Ruri's toy alligator... they were all kind of swirling around... O_o;;;

The ending was very definite, anyway. Hina actually did something, which was a welcome change. Even Morisaki got to talk a little. Having all the characters around at the end was dumb, though. It didn't do anything for the story - it was just a way to name-check everyone from the game one last time, I guess.

Maybe someday I will watch the whole thing again straight through, but I am in no hurry.

Millenia 2004-05-17 13:46

I'v been waiting a pretty long time for OVA 3 to be available (think it was 2 month)
I did some research about a month ago and yeah there is a game based on it only in japan. But since the game is in a kinda hard genre for the US and rest of the world I dont think it will be distributed over seas.
I'v never saw a game of that kind of genre in any game shops or mags I'v seen.
Well I guess we can only hope things catch on :heh:

babbito2k 2004-05-17 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamano667
Its rare that series based on games are good ^_^;

It's not like there are any great shounen romance manga titles lately. I don't see where else the romance stories are going to come from, if not from games.

This show managed to tell a story which didn't lean on knowledge of the game, and managed to do it in 3 episodes. I would say it was good, just not very good.

I)ark-I)eath 2004-05-18 01:09

dang..i deleted ep 1 and 2 of true love story ove and now i want them back...but i cant find them :cry: can someone help me out on where those 2 eps are and where i can dl them?(pm me i guess)

Princess_of_Hell 2004-05-18 11:39

I have the game to this OVA series for like a few months already, as well as True Love Story 3. ^_^