AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   G-Senjou no Maou (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=66969)

Asceai 2008-05-28 19:53

G-Senjou no Maou

G-Senjou no Maou
"The Devil On G-String"
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9...trtop01lw9.jpg
The long wait is finally over.

Official Web Site (SFW)
Erogamescape page (mostly SFW, some NSFW)
Getchu.com page (NSFW)
Amazon.co.jp page (SFW)

G-Senjou no Maou - Regular Edition (9,240\u5186)*
G-Senjou no Maou - First Press Edition (10,290\u5186)*
*n.b. himeyashop links are NSFW

Poorly translated synopsis, courtesy of Himeyashop:
Quote:

In the midwinter, a devil suddenly appears in a city. His ambition is to destroy all humans. The main character is Kyosuke. He is a high school student and enjoys his school life with Tsubaki, Kanon, and Eiichi. But one day, rich students go missing one by one.... When they are at a loss what to do, a girl with beautiful long hair appears in front of them. Her name is Haru. She is the girl he met ten years ago.... A deadly pure-love drama now begins....
My synopsis. It's better than Himeyashop's:
Quote:

You play the role of Asai Kyosuke, the son of a legendary gangster infamous in the underworld. You spend your time listening to Bach, playing God at school and covertly working for your stepfather, a ruthless financial heavyweight. This idyllic existence is broken when two individuals appear in the city - a beautiful girl from your past named Usami Haru with hair you could get lost in for days, and a powerful international gangster known only as Maou. Almost without delay, the two begin a deadly cat-and-mouse game, bringing you and your friends into the crossfire. Plotting, political intrigue and layer upon layer of interlocking traps are the weapons in this epic battle of wits.
tl;dr
Quote:

Think of Maou and Usami as Kira and L, only they're both far more awesome than their respective counterpart. The other heroines aren't mere shallow pretty faces, either: even the character that seemed most likely to be guilty of that (Miwa Tsubaki) has already shown that there is a great deal of depth to her character in the second demo. In addition, the protagonist is as developed a character as anyone else, being written by a scenario writer known for strong, badass protagonists (Syarin no Kuni, A Profile etc.).

hadora 2008-05-29 15:31

Had been waiting for this for a very long time, I really can't wait to finally be able to play it.
I really loved Syarin so I really hope it won't disappoint, though I doubt it will seeing the demo.
Now to wait till I receive it.

Klashikari 2008-06-03 15:01

I've just finished this VN... and seriously, the only sad thing is the fact it seems it is under the radars of the english community >_<

As you probably figured out, I really enjoyed G senjou no maou.
I'm usually very picky, and this eroge sure has its share of flaws. That said, these are not something to care much about, because it is damn awesome (and i'm rarely that enthusiast).

Visual wise, the VN is quite solid and each character have tons of sprites and colorful expressions. Very nice and they cover a large pattern of expressions.
As for the CG, I would however complain a bit that some of them are a bit overdone (those who finished the game will understand if I mention the "3 girls" plea in the epilogue) or underwhelming, others are unbalanced in proportions (especially the cheeks. See some of Yuki's and Haru's).
The backgrounds are basic, though some details are extremely lacking (all of them are absolutely void of figurant characters).

Sound: It is plain amazing. I never thought classics would work that well with that kind of plot. What's more amazing is the well done remixes of infamous masterpieces such like Bach's "Air on G string" (principal track of the game, hence why the title), Wagner's "The ride of the valkyries", Beethoven's "For Elise", etc etc.
They fit the scenes and they certainly keep the legacy of their original counterpart (some are remixed in a genius way, such like "For Elise").

Seiyuu: First point: ZERO!!
As for those who don't know yet, Fukuyama Jun (Lelouch/Zero seiyuu in Code Geass, Lawrence's in Spice and Wolf) is voicing the main Antagonist, Maou. And trust me, he is using his sexy voice (though not as theatral as Lelouch's, obviously :heh:).
That aside, haru's voice is very nice: lovely and very quirky. I often have Konata from Lucky Star in my mind during some her of mumbling :heh:
The rest of the characters are well fitted (except maybe some few general old men voices), though I think Kanon's voice will be simply "hit or miss", depending of the readers. As for me, I'm just a bit disturbed that Koorogi Satomi sounds a bit too young, hence she reminds me WAY too much of her other roles, especially Ushio from Clannad.

Plot
: well this is the main dish.
I think the usual rave "Death Note on steroids" isn't a random claim. Even though some stunts aren't as spectacular as in Obhata's manga, G senjou twists and various elements are marvelous. It is really a entertaining and addicting plot, as the story doesn't rely on its "bishoujou".
Characters wise, they are colorful and all of them have consequent depth, even for the "mere moeblobs" as people would expect of Kanon and Tsubaki.
That said, the most controversial point would be Kyousuke, the protagonist: His demeanor and "double life" will certain drive many people in disgust (I will admit: I wasn't really liking him at all) and the lack of glimpse of his past doesn't help much either.
But unexpectedly, the many shades of grey, then white turns this horrible "anti hero" into a noble and solid protagonist, who will get through living hell before savoring a happy life.
That said, the game however made me raise an eyebrow on several cases, especially at Mizuha's route, as he almost went 'backward"... tch, Gonzou really tainted his mind.

As for the scenario, I would only complain the fact that the 3 non main heroines are unfortunately not on par with Haru: various points aren't as effective, and Kanon's route has quite big inconsistencies with the main plot. Though they are a bit underwhelming and lackluster in comparison to haru's, that doesn't make them demerit, as they give a though and merciless depiction of reality and "life drama". I was often surprised that some characters really acted as "human" and not cliché or "fiction" stoned.
That said, these are just judged on a bias light, as Haru's route is basically the Cake, the Icing and the Strawberry at the same time.
Not only her character is vastly gorgeous (in any way), but her story involving the main plot is simply a explosive cocktail of winning elements.
And even when the end seems to be good enough, Akabeiisoft did a very sly move and added an unexpected epilogue: very bitter, but still ends on a happy ending (thank goodness, I was raging "WTF?! that's unfair, c'mon !").

In overal, G senjou no Maou deserves its hype by a fair margin, well for me anyway: good looking, amazing soundtracks, the story lives on serious basis and it is simply delivering one of the best VN I could read so far.

I just hope that more people will notice this gem, as it is seriously deserving the attention of the english community.

As for those who have finished the game, I have some questions, as my japanese understanding is quite limited so...
Spoiler for Do NOT read this if you didn't finish the game:

Extra little rants: Yuki's route, WHERE?! And... why the hell didn't they show Haru in the end CG? Tikushoo ! *gagh*

Sterling01 2008-06-03 22:19

I'm looking to collaborate a translation project with the person who did this.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3529/transqu6.th.jpg

As Klash wants to get to get a project going and I'm just in it for the Haru moe

GUTB_ 2008-06-05 10:30

My review isn't as unrelentingly positive as yours. I'll will say, however, that it is officially in the top 5 of all eroge of all time. But some key failures:

1. All the other girls' routes besides Haru's are unimpressive. Without Maou or Usami, the game would be nothing.

2. Artist is kind of sub-par. He's better than in Sayrin, but the art definately looks like it's a notch bellow the expectation level of such a anticipated title.

3. Tired mistake in the main story -- a lot of otherwise great stories make this damn error, and I wish writers would stop using it. It makes them look ameturish and alienates the reader. Sayrin had an awesome love-conqouers-all, emotionally satisfying good end.

This game is all about the detective action-drama between Maou and Usami, and when it's doing this it's a great game you can't miss. THis game officially settles the scenario writer into the top of the current industry writers. While not a legendary work of greatness nor does it quite deserve to be called a masterpiece, it is a clearly superior game that will be remembered as one of the media's finest.

Klashikari 2008-06-05 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by GUTB_ (Post 1634822)
1. All the other girls' routes besides Haru's are unimpressive. Without Maou or Usami, the game would be nothing.

Most likely, I believe the non main heroines scenario are just for sake of completeness.
It is nothing short but "what if", though even so, it is obviously lacking due the fact it isn't matching well the "Maou VS Haru" part, especially for Kanon's route which becomes quite weird (Haru going MIA, bomb issue etc).

Quote:

3. Tired mistake in the main story -- a lot of otherwise great stories make this damn error, and I wish writers would stop using it. It makes them look ameturish and alienates the reader. Sayrin had an awesome love-conqouers-all, emotionally satisfying good end.
Maou's identity "reverse twist" ? Or are you talking of something else? The epilogue?
Quote:

This game is all about the detective action-drama between Maou and Usami, and when it's doing this it's a great game you can't miss. THis game officially settles the scenario writer into the top of the current industry writers. While not a legendary work of greatness nor does it quite deserve to be called a masterpiece, it is a clearly superior game that will be remembered as one of the media's finest.
Very true, though I think that the game, despite not solely focused on "characters" did a fair job with all characters in their development etc, even with the non main routes. For instance, Kyousuke's development and growth with Tsubaki was quite big.
On the other hand, Mizuha's route developped nicely the "sister" part, though I think Yuki's route would be fairly better... maa, I guess we can't have everything on a silver plate.

GUTB_ 2008-06-05 13:54

Spoiler for end spoiler:

I haven't played Tsubaki's route yet, but Kannon's was pure garbage.
Spoiler for Kanon's route:
I'd have gladly traded a Mizuha route for a Yuki one -- but judging how much of an afterthought they seem to be it's probably not much of a loss.

I was hoping the Maou would have an evil team (like in a Kenshin manga or like in Monster) made up of especially powerful and disturbed killers, bu no, it's not going to be THAT great.

Klashikari 2008-06-05 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by GUTB_ (Post 1635130)
Spoiler for end spoiler:

Spoiler for relationship issue, end spoiler:

Quote:

I haven't played Tsubaki's route yet, but Kannon's was pure garbage.
Spoiler for Kanon's route:
I'd have gladly traded a Mizuha route for a Yuki one -- but judging how much of an afterthought they seem to be it's probably not much of a loss.
Exactly, I agree with issues from Kanon's route, that's what I mentioned in my review, though it was kinda too light :heh:
Indeed, it seems Kanon was most likely a early/scrapped scenario that they didn't polish enough, and quickly inserted in the game without much afterthough... That's unfortunate especially how it is conflicting so much with end revelations.

As for Yuki, I believe it would be tricky in the end, after I thought more about it: I would certainly dislike a "love soap" with Mizuha and Yuki going catfight on Kyousuke :heh:
That said, I think that Yuki was not fully explored, considering her potential, even with her case seen in chapter 4 (through haru's route).
Quote:

I was hoping the Maou would have an evil team (like in a Kenshin manga or like in Monster) made up of especially powerful and disturbed killers, bu no, it's not going to be THAT great.
Disappointed by Saijo as well, are you? ^^
Well, indeed, it would have been quite nice if Maou was a "Shishio" or "Enishi" from Kenshin, but thinking more about it, that would certainly be too much for Haru and Kyousuke, until some bizarre alliance with Gonzou etc would ensue.

But indeed, some themes would be much better if the scripters elaborated their ideas further.

Kresnik 2008-06-29 20:51

I don't think we need to use a spoiler tag anymore, since it's already a month old. So I'll try to answer your questions:

Spoiler for end game spoiler!:

Klashikari 2008-06-29 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kresnik (Post 1689058)
I don't think we need to use a spoiler tag anymore, since it's already a month old. So I'll try to answer your questions:

You say that, but I wouldn't expect it to be a bit dangerous... ah well, I may say that, but I'm playing ExE, a year too late... so :heh:

Spoiler for end game spoilers:

But after thinking back to the characters backgrounds and profile, it seems there wasn't much way to do anything about these: unlike most VN, it is impossible to involve the girls in the main plot, except perhaps yuki (granted, she is the only one without any route, duh...). I would really boggle if any of the 3 others girl would chase Maou, until... well some SPECIAL conditions (such like another strike on Hiroaki, so Tsubaki going even more postal :heh:).
in the end, I think the inconsistencies couldn't be avoided: as such, there isn't much room to involve everyone in the same boat.

ah well, it is fun to see such imbalance parts being able to outweight each other.

Kresnik 2008-06-29 22:54

Messing with Tsubaki's mind anymore further would make even Gonzo kneel before her and call her "Anego!" :heh:, or even make a grander plan to foil Maou, by converting her diary into a Death Note or Future Diary. Yes I could see and hear it from a mile away.. :heh:

P.G. 2008-08-02 20:45

I just started the V/N. btw, anyone would like to tell me what's the original title of the song from the sound mode track 64? I just kinda' forgot it.. or I really don't know it.

LeviathanDarkly 2009-06-01 09:04

G-Senjou no Maou english teaser patch was released

See http://nekorelated.wordpress.com/

Sterling01 2009-06-01 09:42

Is this by the guy who said that he was only going to do Haru's route?

Varion 2009-06-01 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterling01 (Post 2429141)
Is this by the guy who said that he was only going to do Haru's route?

No, he's all but dropped it.

It's by a bunch of guys translating from the chinese patch (hurr)

LeviathanDarkly 2009-06-01 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varion (Post 2429160)
translating from the chinese patch (hurr)

*facepalm*

izmosmolnar 2009-06-01 11:43

I dare to say there is no need to worry about that too much.
The TL check is done by J->E to avoid the discrepancies with "multi-translating".

And anyway, in a sense "beggars can't be choosers", I'm happy someone is translating such an epic story, even if it's based on a translation already. I reckon, it's unlikely I'm going to experience a mistranslated crucial detail, which could prevent me to enjoy the english version. Not to mention that these lads are showing a remarkable speed to finish the full patch.

Klashikari 2009-06-01 12:55

I think that even if the TL check is done by J-E, it is absolutely not foul proof. I personally think there is an obvious chance there will be missing subtilities etc, but since they are aware of this problem and that they are exposing it, there is no real worry about that.

Meanwhile, Sharin no Kuni is still in the abyss... ah well...

Sterling01 2009-06-01 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klashikari (Post 2429369)
Meanwhile, Sharin no Kuni is still in the abyss... ah well...

Actually they both have only one chapter translated as for why G-Senjou is being translated and not Sharin... I blame Haru.

Though in regards to translation quality there are some things that are worded strangely. I also found it strange they didn't translate Maou.

kyosak 2009-06-01 19:08

Ah I didn't know there was a thread for this game!

I'm currently playing Mizuha's route for completion's sake -.-; Both this one and Tsubaki's were pretty dull but everyone says Haru's route is the main attraction so I'm sticking with it, lol.

Gonna try to grind through the rest of Mizuha's route tonight. :p

EDIT: OK, just beat the route.

I feel like they were running out of time when coming up with the script for Mizuha's route, the whole thing felt so rushed! I thought we'd get some more info. on Yuki but all that really happened was she disappeared and just "came back" one day. Not to mention Mizuha's change in personally felt really abrupt. I think I stared at the main menu for a good couple minutes after the route ended wondering if that's really all I'm getting, lol.

At least I can get on with Haru's route now...