AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Light Novels (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Kenshin no Keishousha [Light Novel] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=120851)

TJP1600 2013-07-16 16:43

Kenshin no Keishousha [Light Novel]

Author: Kagami Yuu (鏡遊)
Illustrator: Mikeō (みけおう)
Publisher: MF Bunko J
Complete: 12 volumes
Original title: 剣神の継承者

Synopsis:

Quote:

Tokyo Swordia, formerly known as Tokyo Metropolitan, has been ruled by the "Swordies" since the Third World War 70 years ago. These Swordies, natural-born swordswomen with an attraction to blades, more or less rule the country, and are considered upper-class members of society. In order to raise his own social status, Kurou, a human, begins attending an academy of swordsmanship, surrounding himself with Swordies on a daily basis. How will he fare in combat against those born to fight?

(Taken from the manga)
Vol 1 Cover:

Vol 2 Cover:

I recommended this novel to a few and received positive feedback about it. I found it quite humorous, fun to read, and I just love some of the characters. The only things I don't like about it is the amount of illustrations with ecchi (which may be a positive to some) and the naming of certain terms (Swordies.......). Other than that, if you guys like supernatural harem romances with a mix of school life, I highly recommend you give this a shot.

I will try my best to translate this novel with Hayashi on BakaTsuki. It can be found in the teasers section (or you can just click the link in my signature).

blackwhite67 2013-07-16 19:06

If you wanna sell this to us, you're gonna need to give us some character info spoilers. What's our harem MC's personality? I read the scanlated chapter and it looks like he's a player. Is he talented or is he the type of guy who just works his but off?

TJP1600 2013-07-16 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwhite67 (Post 4761102)
If you wanna sell this to us, you're gonna need to give us some character info spoilers. What's our harem MC's personality? I read the scanlated chapter and it looks like he's a player. Is he talented or is he the type of guy who just works his but off?

Spoiler for More Info:

I try to keep the spoilers at a minimum since I want the translations to do the talking when they are up eventually. I'm only informing people of the project, not trying to sell it. Since when were spoilers needed in order to read something anyways......

sunsown 2013-07-17 02:51

Interesting setting. I think I read one chapter numbered 0. Looking forward to the translation of the novel.

Ken Sanders 2013-07-17 05:24

I’d like to bet on this series that you've promoted because this is the kind of setting that fits my taste in genre.

A story that takes place where new species are rulers of a particular country or world; where they discriminate lower species due to their race, lack of ability or compatibility of something, social status and so on.

This one lone boy, one human, at that, is willing to enroll to a school where these “Swordies” resides. This one takes a lot of courage, steeled determination, and an unshakable soul to withstand such environment.

Not only that, since it’s a school life setting, he’ll be facing Principal, Teachers, Seniors, Juniors, and fellow freshman, who looks down on him because he’s the only “Human” among the school for Swordies.

Spoiler for My problem:

And here we have one “Human”, who just outclassed his fellow classmates with his unique swordsmanship with a Katana, which is a normal sword. Maybe the swords of the other students may vary in shape, size, and mass with some special abilities or some sorts.

The hardworking swordman, Korou, defeated the natural-inborn talented swordsman. I like that kind of character. He’s like a physical manifestation of the Tarot Card, The Fool, who goes on a journey to experience many things in a different land without a care.

TJP1600 2013-07-19 17:18

Updated with a part of CH1

XFire 2013-07-20 10:05

I recently read the first chapter of the manga. They refer to the race as Swordians instead of Swordie's. Would that be better?

Shadow5YA 2013-07-20 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Sanders (Post 4761544)
Spoiler for My problem:

And here we have one “Human”, who just outclassed his fellow classmates with his unique swordsmanship with a Katana, which is a normal sword. Maybe the swords of the other students may vary in shape, size, and mass with some special abilities or some sorts.

You have a species that is naturally and physically superior to humans without any physical training, and you wonder why they look down on humans?

blackwhite67 2013-07-20 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Sanders (Post 4761544)
I’d like to bet on this series that you've promoted because this is the kind of setting that fits my taste in genre.

A story that takes place where new species are rulers of a particular country or world; where they discriminate lower species due to their race, lack of ability or compatibility of something, social status and so on.

This one lone boy, one human, at that, is willing to enroll to a school where these “Swordies” resides. This one takes a lot of courage, steeled determination, and an unshakable soul to withstand such environment.

Not only that, since it’s a school life setting, he’ll be facing Principal, Teachers, Seniors, Juniors, and fellow freshman, who looks down on him because he’s the only “Human” among the school for Swordies.

Spoiler for My problem:

The hardworking swordman, Korou, defeated the natural-inborn talented swordsman. I like that kind of character. He’s like a physical manifestation of the Tarot Card, The Fool, who goes on a journey to experience many things in a different land without a care.

Have you ever read "Until Death Do us Part"? Don't underwrite the sword as an achronological weapon. In the hands of masters, such as Swordies, they can be as lethal as guns. Besides, the fact that these Swordies won a world war should speak plenty about the superiority of their abilities.

Read the first chapter. Swordies attack men they've fallen for? That is the most convenient plot setup that I've ever heard.

XFire 2013-07-20 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwhite67 (Post 4764870)
Have you ever read "Until Death Do us Part"? Don't underwrite the sword as an achronological weapon. In the hands of masters, such as Swordies, they can be as lethal as guns. Besides, the fact that these Swordies won a world war should speak plenty about the superiority of their abilities.

Read the first chapter. Swordies attack men they've fallen for? That is the most convenient plot setup that I've ever heard.

........Really? I would have thought "Only guy who can use X, while all girls can do so" would be worse.

Actually, to be honest I think the idea of girls being attracted to power makes more sense than most other set-ups. Hell, it works in both directions. Power turns people on, simple as that.

TJP1600 2013-07-20 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by XFire (Post 4764795)
I recently read the first chapter of the manga. They refer to the race as Swordians instead of Swordie's. Would that be better?

I took a gander at the manga and it just looks like a ton of things happening at once, out of order, and slightly false. Ugh, it left a sour taste in my mouth. As for the terms, I'm not going to be using the ones in the manga for the most part since I've got most of the terms planned out already (although I'll try to keep some terms the same if it's convenient to do so). And Swordies was the given furigana but I'll look into a possible change.

Magin 2013-07-20 13:57

Based on the plot premise, it sounds like between this and the Magika novel, authors are trying to fill in the gap that the reboot(?) of IS created. Still, I'll at least take a look.

... actually, this seems probably closer to Blade Dance than it does IS. In addition to harems, the next big thing must be "only girls should usually have this power, but now we suddenly have a guy who can do this as well". I suppose if it gives a slight bit more depth to harems, then it might work

blackwhite67 2013-07-20 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magin (Post 4765024)
Based on the plot premise, it sounds like between this and the Magika novel, authors are trying to fill in the gap that the reboot(?) of IS created. Still, I'll at least take a look.

... actually, this seems probably closer to Blade Dance than it does IS. In addition to harems, the next big thing must be "only girls should usually have this power, but now we suddenly have a guy who can do this as well". I suppose if it gives a slight bit more depth to harems, then it might work

Well, to be exact, our MC doesn't have the natural abilities of a Swordie. He's only able to match them after extreme training.

omegasereon 2013-07-20 14:11

looks like a nice novel, will be following this!

Kadi 2013-07-20 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magin (Post 4765024)

Magika? Magika no Kenshi to Basileus? Different from IS, if only because the protag cannot be ignorant towards the girls' feelings and even wants to be loved by them. The rest remains to be seen.

TJP1600 2013-07-20 19:45

Updated again

Love the titles that we came up with for the Seven Swords. Kind of makes "Swordie" bearable.

sunsown 2013-07-21 04:33

Nice update. Read both the translated chapter 1 of novel and the first chapter of manga.
Do the events that happen in the manga ever take place in the novel or is it original material?

XFire 2013-07-21 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsown (Post 4765773)
Nice update. Read both the translated chapter 1 of novel and the first chapter of manga.
Do the events that happen in the manga ever take place in the novel or is it original material?

Based on the illustrations it really happens. The manga just chose to start with the "High-school Comedy" section. From the flow of the story the second chapter will be a flash-back to the first part of the LN.

TJP1600 2013-07-21 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsown (Post 4765773)

It does happen, it's just that the order is quite off. They basically just rushed through two chapters and missed some stuff.

sunsown 2013-07-21 12:25

An occasional read of the manga with illustrations will be good then. The characters are funny and likable; MC is cool in the way he handles the situations. Great translations again.