AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Psycho-Pass (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Psycho-Pass 2 - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=129145)

Klashikari 2014-10-30 15:04

Psycho-Pass 2 - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Psycho-Pass 2, Episode 4.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

oompa loompa 2014-10-30 15:14

Another good episode. I know they're going really hard on the whole inspectors are morons and/or douches, but I'm ok with it, they don't have a lot of episodes to play around with and the plot is moving along nicely. Shimotsuki was also better in this episode, clearly she has an inferiority complex towards akane and thats the root of her obnoxious behavior. Also, clearly the inspectors we have seen so far have been exceptions to the rule, including ginoza from season 1; division 3 seemed more like soldiers than police officers with the whole 'its our orders' thing. I must say though, the finale to the episode was pretty good, just hope kamui is not going to end up as a good guy.

bastek66 2014-10-30 15:16

Brutal
http://i.imgur.com/jSh589m.gif

HandofFate 2014-10-30 15:28

Poor inspector, I didn't expect her to make it out alive, but to go out like that :(

The newbie was frustrating to watch this episode. She's way too green. Trying to follow the books too closely.

ookamigirl 2014-10-30 15:33

Random people still rampaging around.
On the bright side, it was time they rebelled against the Sybil system.
Kamui is still a mystery for the inspectors.
Akane was a focused a ever.
That was stupid.
Killing all the victims was just insane.
Well, at least Kamui got something out of it.

Kanon 2014-10-30 15:38

That was the most shocking episode of the whole series. Hell, that was the most shocking episode of any anime this year, period. My jaw was on the floor by the end of it.

Shock value aside, I have some issues with this episode. Aoyanagi was retarded. She saw that the dominator didn't work on the obviously crazy guy in the previous episode. She manages to get a nail gun in this one. What does she do? Instead of shooting at him with the nail gun or simply threatening him with it, she drops it and goes out of her way to get her dominator only to act shocked it doesn't work. Seriously? That was already bad enough, but it happened not once but twice. After stabbing the man with a glass shard, she went to get her dominator again. It makes no sense. Before anybody replies she did that because she firmly believes in the system, I'm going to come out and say I don't buy that argument. It's not a matter of believing in the system, it's a matter of common sense. If something doesn't work, it's safe to assume it's malfunctioning. No matter how infallible a piece of electronics is supposed to be, there can still be rare cases where it malfunctions. It happens. Trying the same thing three times is plain stupid.

And you'd think that after the whole Makishima fiasco, Sibyl would have thought up some kind of counterplan against asymptomatic people. But nope, inspectors still can't do anything without their dominators. You'd think they would have included a manual override by now. Wasn't it said in the first season that the reason drones didn't replace inspectors was because the human factor was still needed? In the end, humans are the ones who make the decision to pull the trigger or not. I'm not seeing that. Replace them people like Aoyanagi or Division three with drones and nothing would change. This episode was proof of that.

I get the point the series is trying to make, but it's way too heavy handed. The writing has no subtlety whatsoever.

Now, let's talk about Mika. Oh boy, Mika. Not only is she a blind sheep and a whiner, she's also a coward afraid of acting on her own. She complained Akane doesn't let her do anything (THE NERVE), and yet when she had the opportunity to call the shots, she didn't because she was scared she would be blamed if something went bad. It's her goddamn fault this happened. I can only hope she'll reflect on that, but most likely not.

GDB 2014-10-30 15:48

Yeah, but at least we now see why she's still treated like a scrub despite being an Inspector for a year and a half. Hopefully she reflects like you said, but I'm not sure if she will.

Also, Kamui has a scar along the side of his head near his temple. INTERESTING.

Stark700 2014-10-30 16:02

I hope we find out more about this Kamui guy soon...he's surrounded with mystery. Nontheless, this was probably the most brutal episode I've seen from the franchise.

GDB 2014-10-30 16:17

I still feel the mid season finale last season was more brutal. Sure, there was more face blood here and such, but there wasn't really any psychological torture like you had with Akane's friend.

Klashikari 2014-10-30 16:18

If Mika is left scott free in the next episode, I will just consider her as the butt monkey.

Past her obnoxious behaviour right from the get go, her purpose and roles are so shoehorned and silly to the point she isn't a character, but a mere plot device itself.
They needed someone to be on "Sybil's side" but the subtelty is anything but present.
So many pot calling kettle black moments, with a gigantic incompetence to boot.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to really wonder if season 1 had any relevancy with season 2 considering that, as kanon stated, issues with Sybil's system are just huge (Inspector being sitting duck against asymptomatic individuals, absolute lack of autonomous actions, inability to think for themselves, just "shoot").
In fact, I still wonder why they are still using humans as inspectors and enforces since they could simply have drones patrolling with dominator plugged in them and shoot on sight. That's pretty much what the inspectors and enforcers are doing, expect they can be screwed by their own gear as well.

Fun fact: the Assault Dominator is unable to identify Inspectors and Enforcers, as the guy who used it just mentioned that high CC, without knowing it was Aoyanami.
Makes you wonder how it is even possible, whereas any regular Dominator will warn the user they are targeting a colleague.

Triple_R 2014-10-30 16:26

Well, that was brutal. I agree with Kanon - That was probably the most shocking episode of the entire series.

After this episode, I'm inclined to see Sibyl vs. Kamui as Lawful Evil vs. Chaotic Evil. Kamui now appears just as willing to have people die as part of his plans as Makishima was. As for Sibyl, well... I think the utter slaughter we saw in this episode says a lot, and it says it loudly.

Crime coefficients clearly skyrocket from simple panic attacks. We saw a little bit of this in Episode 1 of Season 1, but now it's been heavily reinforced in Season 2, Episode 4.

People who have panic attacks can very well recover if just given a chance. Here we see how if you don't have an Akane controlling Dominator-use, they may well not get a chance. Truly tragic.

Well, it's either that or Sibyl simply wanted these people dead, period, and hence arbitrarily upped their crime coefficients to do so.

revive4563 2014-10-30 16:28

Seriously, psycho-pass' main plot is on the rocks already...
In the 1st season, everything was caused by Makishima and it was ok.
But in the 2nd season, this whole society is out of logic. This is too big flaw as this kind of story.
Also about 2nd Makishima (Kamui? I think), it's simply deterioration copy of 1st one.

After all, this world is chaos. there is no legit story anymore...

Triple_R 2014-10-30 16:32

I'd argue that Pyscho-Pass still has considerable value as a cautionary tale, in the same vein as Orwell's 1984.

J the Drafter 2014-10-30 16:32

I assume Aoyanagi kept trying to use the Dominator because she continued to believe/hope that Kamui's effect had worn off.

Mika was clearly out of her depth, but Akane, as the one who put her in charge of that situation, bears greater blame. Akane could have made the decision to go herself, or sent Ginoza assist (read: babysit) Mika. Akane was obviously eager to interrogate that politician, and she may have underestimated the situation to boot. (Incidentally, I'd hate to be an Enforcer under Mika's authority. She seems like she'd be a pain in the ass.

GDB 2014-10-30 16:35

As far as anyone knew, Division 2 just needed routine assistance. There was no indication that anything was out of the ordinary. You can't blame Akane for that.

RioFoxx 2014-10-30 17:02

Can anyone else feel their hue getting clouded? lol. Yeah, that episode was crazy. Quite good though, the message was clear and well-done if one could roll with the violence punches. In my opinion would possibly be the best episode so far if it wasn't so messed up.

Loving Psycho-Pass 2 so far.

AvianWing 2014-10-30 17:08

I felt no immersion whatsoever for this episode. It was suppose to be shocking when they shot all the hostages, but I ended up laughing. Between the choppy animation and the distorted facial features, as well as the oddly timed transition scenes and the loss of anything resembling proper writing, there's just one thing I appreciated-- Aoyanagi's underwear.

What happened Psycho-Pass? No character development. No build up of mystery. Nothing to set the tone. It's almost painful to watch this and think that this is the sequel to Psycho Pass.

Amarantine 2014-10-30 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvianWing (Post 5319145)
I felt no immersion whatsoever for this episode. It was suppose to be shocking when they shot all the hostages, but I ended up laughing. Between the choppy animation and the distorted facial features, as well as the oddly timed transition scenes and the loss of anything resembling proper writing, there's just one thing I appreciated-- Aoyanagi's underwear.

What happened Psycho-Pass? No character development. No build up of mystery. Nothing to set the tone. It's almost painful to watch this and think that this is the sequel to Psycho Pass.

I had a similar experience. Sure, the events were shocking and clearly intended to be very dramatic, but I just couldn't bring myself to actually care about any of it. It felt hollow; shocking purely for the sake of shock factor. The Rikako arc in S1 (back when Mika was just a background character; good times) was pretty shocking and bloody as well, but it had a soul. The gruesomeness was tastefully implemented in order to facilitate skillful character development and interesting social commentary. Not so much the case here IMO.

As Kanon said, everything is too heavy-handed and nothing has any subtlety now. The Sybil System and its personnel are just too obviously broken and too deeply flawed. Mika is a laughable caricature that just keeps on amassing more and more personality traits that will make the audience hate her. And they can throw all the violence and blood they want at the screen, but at the end of this episode I was just left with a feeling of "Okay, that was gory, but... what was the point?" Because, as it stands, I can't really see any in this season as a whole, and can't help but feel that the sole reason it exists is because the first one was moderately successful, rather than any desire on the part of the creators to explore new ideas or expand on the social commentary from S1 in any meaningful way.

Mikethemaster 2014-10-30 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvianWing (Post 5319145)

Well its only 11 episodes what can you do and really didn't care for the inspector there to many characters and i barely knew her sooo... yeah.:heh:

Haruyasha 2014-10-30 18:37

What in the actual...

MFW I saw this episode .. :twitch: