AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Psycho-Pass (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Psycho-Pass 2 - Episode 8 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=129544)

Klashikari 2014-11-27 06:46

Psycho-Pass 2 - Episode 8 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Psycho-Pass 2, Episode 8.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Stark700 2014-11-27 11:32

I almost feel a bit sorry for Mika this episode. Wrong place at the wrong time.

karice67 2014-11-27 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stark700 (Post 5351281)

Almost, but not quite, right? I felt the same way when I saw the episode at the cafe on Sunday... :heh:

Now, I've waited 5 days to say this, but

Spoiler for episode spoilers, by way of referring to a post someone made last week...:

oompa loompa 2014-11-27 12:51

I really thought the reason why kamui can't be seen by the scanners is stupid. Also, the whole totally clearing peoples psycho pass with medicine and counselling as well. But.. from that point on the episode really picked up, and had quite a good finale. Honestly, i was going to totally jump on the wagon that the second season is shit after the first half of the episode, but the second half swung it the other way for me. good episode on the balance. It's just a shame that so many aspects of this seasons story are so intricate and well constructed, and others are just ridiculous

prototype_sky 2014-11-27 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stark700 (Post 5351281)

:heh:

Wonder if she'll survive this series.

foxbox360 2014-11-27 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by prototype_sky (Post 5351344)
:heh:

Wonder if she'll survive this series.

She either wind up in the loony bin or become a enforcer, I say the first one.;)

Szadek 2014-11-27 13:21

My god that was one terrible episode,but at least it's funny bad and not painful bad.
Kamui entire backstory is just complete bullshit.
Why is that guy even telling them Kaumi's backstory in the first place?

The anime also want me to belive that there are no unsolved missing person cases in month.

ookamigirl 2014-11-27 13:30

Finally more about Kamui.
He sure is unique sum of parts.
Also, he's very knowledgeable too.
Kamui is obviously trying to get some kind of revenge.
Shimotsuki sure is determined to get rid of Akane.
She always felt threatened by Akane.
Unfortunately she dug herself a hole to die in.

GDB 2014-11-27 13:40

So... Sibyl decides to just spill the beans to Mika for no apparent reason? They say they did it because she found out too much, but she really didn't know anything. Just felt like a forced plot point there. Even when they first started explaining she didn't know what they were talking about and just wanted to get out because of Sibyl's tone.

Nymbryxion 2014-11-27 13:45

Technically if Kamui can't be detected by the Dominator, cant they just set the setting to decomposer and kill him like a machine or a piece of wall?

Because it only locks if its clear, so even if hes a pile of other bodies shouldnt he still go splat?

Jerseykid 2014-11-27 13:47

Oh no don't tell me Akane and Kamui might join forces.

oompa loompa 2014-11-27 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDB (Post 5351383)
So... Sibyl decides to just spill the beans to Mika for no apparent reason? They say they did it because she found out too much, but she really didn't know anything. Just felt like a forced plot point there. Even when they first started explaining she didn't know what they were talking about and just wanted to get out because of Sibyl's tone.

I don't think either of those are true; 'criminally asymptotic' isn't something that's difficult to understand, i'm sure that mika understood the implications: that there are people who can't be judged by sybil and that sybil actively monitors and tries to group them. Not to mention that Kasei directly threatened her. As for revealing everything to her, wasn't she a model case for when they would eventually reveal sybil to the public? After all, in S1 they did say that they planned to; There are only two options, she's not going to squeal, (i.e. sybil is right, she's an ideal citizen), or she's going to the loony bin. Either of which only benefits sybil because they get a better understanding of how people will respond. I won't deny that it was over the top though

GDB 2014-11-27 14:12

Yes, she's a model case, but that still has nothing to do with why they'd tell her everything. All Mika knew was "AA". Even after stating what AA stood for, Mika was confused. It wasn't until Kasei went into further detail and started threatening her that she started freaking out and trying to leave.

And them wanting to go public "in the future" doesn't mean they have to do it now. By the story's timeline, they said that less than 2 years ago. That's not even 10% of the time Sibyl's been in existence.

It's rushing things, pure and simple. Especially since we learned in this episode alone that there was another plan in place to replace Sibyl that was all but guaranteed to have been sabotaged by Sibyl, and likely is only considered a conspiracy theory because the average person believes Sibyl to be an autonomous machine rather than a collection of criminal illuminati.

oompa loompa 2014-11-27 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDB (Post 5351414)
It's rushing things, pure and simple. Especially since we learned in this episode alone that there was another plan in place to replace Sibyl that was all but guaranteed to have been sabotaged by Sibyl, and likely is only considered a conspiracy theory because the average person believes Sibyl to be an autonomous machine rather than a collection of criminal illuminati.

I agree with you on this, they are rushing things. at the very least there could have been some sort of foreshadowing or build up for sybils plans concerning mika

HandofFate 2014-11-27 14:21

I felt this episode was just so stupid.
Spilling the beans to Mika just to speed things up and artificially rise the stakes again. Its all so clumsy and desperate to try to have a high pace story, and I just don't buy it, even if I were to give the psycho pass society the benefit of the doubt that this is how things would go.

atua 2014-11-27 16:02

So Kamui's after Tougane Foundation for causing the plane crash to prevent the adoption of Panopticon, and for the experiments done on him? He might want to check out how "great" Samaritan turned out to be, before he enthusiastically embraces mass surveillance.

Given their patent for technology to extract a living brain & automatic brain extraction by a drone, does that mean that Tougane Foundation's responsible for the initial construction of the Sibyl System? That successive foundation heads over the years have known about the system, and how it works? Just how many members of the Tougane family are currently part of the Sibyl think tank? Talk about nepotism...

IceHism 2014-11-27 16:08

mmm that was a great episode. lots of juicy information to understand and i found it logical within the story.

I thought this season was shit compared to the first but this episode makes me reconsider. Learning a bit about what Kamui and Sybil planned to do was awesome. And finally an episode where Shimotsuki has shown that she has some competence. That made me feel bad for her when all of her effort went to shit.

kitten320 2014-11-27 17:15

Kamui's back story feels extremely forced... Not to mention that all of these apparently is happening in 2014 unless subs lied.

Well Mika... you got what was coming. First you blame Akane for your own mess up with hostages and then instead of warning Akane of upcoming danger, you try to back stab her.

While I feel tiny bit sorry for her, she is the one to blame for all her problems. She brought it upon herself by being a prick.

Geburah 2014-11-27 17:15

Honestly was a quite dissapointing episode.

Mika part was a nonsense festival on which I dont even know on where to start complaining. It looked like "we are running out of chapters lets make Mika be more useless and try to mess once again with Akane, troll her by revealing the Sybil secrets for the lulz, oh and yes im Togane mother brain *evil laugh*"

Kamui part was a BIT (not much more) less nonsensical but man was so stupid that I was laughing half of the part: "Kamui the japanese anatomical living model". It resembled a LOT the japanese anatomical models that schools have that it was hilarious.

AntonKutovoi 2014-11-27 17:17

I reeeeealy liked the ending.
Spoiler for Too bad:

kitten320 2014-11-27 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi (Post 5351532)
I reeeeealy liked the ending.
Spoiler for Too bad:

Spoiler for movie spoiler:

Dextro 2014-11-27 17:48

What's even more delicious interesting is that Mika basically signed her self up for that by trusting the system blindly instead of Akane. She did a great job flushing all that info out, she just completely screwed up when it came to figuring out who to trust. Of course I can only say this after knowing what sybil is like from the first season but that doesn't stop me from laughing a bit :heh:

Cloudedmind 2014-11-27 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten320 (Post 5351529)
Kamui's back story feels extremely forced... Not to mention that all of these apparently is happening in 2014 unless subs lied.

Well Mika... you got what was coming. First you blame Akane for your own mess up with hostages and then instead of warning Akane of upcoming danger, you try to back stab her.

While I feel tiny bit sorry for her, she is the one to blame for all her problems. She brought it upon herself by being a prick.

It's 2104, not 2014.

zetsubo666 2014-11-27 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDB (Post 5351383)

I believe its because Mika is criminally asymptomatic, remember Togane's reaction and surprise at how little Mika's PP changed when Kasei threatened to dispose of her. And that's another thing it seemed like Kasei was originally planning to eliminate her but after knowing she was criminally asymptomatic she changed her mind and decided to tell her the truth. In this case there is nothing stupid with Siblyl's actions here as they did the same thing with Makishima in season 1. But if this isn't the case then I would agree with you point.

kitten320 2014-11-27 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudedmind (Post 5351558)
It's 2104, not 2014.

Ok my bad, still Frankenstein type of villain does not interest me much.

Jaden 2014-11-27 20:41

Things have kinda started making sense now. From the looks of it the Sibyl System was actually created by the Toganes (or at least hijacked by them at some point). I mean, they developed all the tech for extracting people's brains. It then makes sense that the Sibyl hivemind is hierarchically below the Toganes. That's why they can do all this crazy stuff without criticism, even though it risks the entire society. They're the actual villains who are going to be stripped from power in this season so Sibyl can work as intended again.

thundrakkon 2014-11-27 21:04

This was a great episode. There was so much tension and so much plot was revealed.

People are still so hung up on stating that the story is bad that they try to find bad things in everything that is the story, even if the clues point elsewhere. *sigh*

Mika actually did some good investigative work this episode, which finally made her useful to the story in a way. She also paralleled a lot of work that the rest of division 1 found out. The only problem is that her jealousy of Akane has clouded her judgement, and she wanted to get rid of Akane.

The Sibyl System set up a trap for those who wanted to investigate it deep enough. If anyone was able to get to "AA", they fell for the trap, which means that they are going in too far, investigating what they should not be investigating. They might not know the whole story, but they know enough to be a threat and will be eliminated. What was surprising was that Mika's CC did not rise after being threatened to be eliminated. Hence, she is now labeled as asymptomatic, and potentially a great test subject instead. Sibyl filled in the blanks for Mika in order to see her response (more testing).

tuckersister 2014-11-27 21:17

I think Mika will meet Kogami off screen.

Chosen_Hero 2014-11-27 21:34

Kogami needs to appear like right this instant, the second he does Sibyl will shit their pants.:heh:

Good episode now everything is making sense.

@Cloudedmind

Actually it's 2114.

@thundrakkon

I'm guessing people think it was a bad episode because Kamui didn't turn out to actually be Makishima, have been reading comments stating that as the reason the episode was bad.

Triple_R 2014-11-27 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundrakkon (Post 5351670)
This was a great episode. There was so much tension and so much plot was revealed.

People are still so hung up on stating that the story is bad that they try to find bad things in everything that is the story, even if the clues point elsewhere. *sigh*

Agreed.

Psycho-Pass Season 2 has some plot elements that are a bit of a stretch, but I've seen far worse in anime before. For a very plot-heavy anime show, Psycho-Pass Season 2 has been decently tight. Some of the puzzle pieces may look a bit strange, but at least they tend to come together nicely to form a good full puzzle. That's my take on this latest episode, anyway.

I also don't get the intellectual-based (as opposed to moral-based) criticisms of Sibyl. It's like some viewers expect them to in fact be an infallible and perfectly logical AI. Sibyl is a collection of humans. Like all humans, their desires and emotions can direct and shape their actions just as much as logic alone can. There's nothing Sibyl has done that seems unusual to me, when I look at them through the prism of megalomaniacal villains that want to balance achieving their goals with enjoying some personal amusement. Sibyl, like much of the Psycho-Pass 2 audience, might just not like Mika, and decided to use her investigation and Sibyl's wider goals as a pretext to have some "fun" with her.

Speaking of Mika, I agree with the idea of "I almost feel sorry for her". Mika finally showed some industriousness and skill directly related to her chosen profession, and it's a bit sad that this is a big part of what landed her in hot water. Still, her willingness to backstab Akane like this without discussing the matter with Akane at all is just nasty. There is a certain poetic justice to all of this landing Mika into her current predicament.

On the whole, an excellent episode eight.

Cloudedmind 2014-11-27 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero (Post 5351697)

@Cloudedmind

Actually it's 2114.

Not according to this episode. When Mika is doing her investigation it shows on the computer screen that Misako Togane died in 2099, and Mika states she died five years ago (13:30), which would make the present year 2104. Now the show itself may have flubbed it's own timeline though.:heh:

GDB 2014-11-27 23:25

They definitely flubbed it. If it were only 2104, Akane would only be 12 years old.

Cloudedmind 2014-11-27 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDB (Post 5351783)
They definitely flubbed it. If it were only 2104, Akane would only be 12 years old.

I wonder if they'll fix that in the BD's then.

Allium 2014-11-28 00:00

Mika aside, this episode had a lot of quality animation. :heh: Really hoping the BDs will have that fixed too.

thundrakkon 2014-11-28 03:01

Quote:

@thundrakkon

I'm guessing people think it was a bad episode because Kamui didn't turn out to actually be Makishima, have been reading comments stating that as the reason the episode was bad.

Awww.... Makishima is quite dead. If he even had a chance of survival, Sibyl would have made him a part of it by now. Also, narrative-wise, it would not be good for Makishima to return, since it would sort of make a repeat of season 1 again. Still, it is unfortunate that people are upset because a story is not how they wanted it to be for themselves.

atua 2014-11-28 04:09

Quote:

Kogami needs to appear like right this instant

Pretty sure Kougami's one of the "illegal aliens" that Kamui brought over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundrakkon (Post 5351876)
Still, it is unfortunate that people are upset because a story is not how they wanted it to be for themselves.

Speaking for myself, I'm annoyed at the wasted opportunity. The setting for Psycho-Pass is fantastic, but the writers clearly did not think through some main concepts in the show like the Sibyl System and how cymatic scans would work, and the internal consistency in the show is poor.

keys.unlock.things. 2014-11-28 06:02

unanswered questions

Uh, can I just ask something? If any of you remember the s1 of Psycho pass, there was an unanswered question. Remember all the resin and chemical ouryo rikako used? It was not makishima nor choe gu sung who made it. Choe said that it was from 'past festivities' and then rikako said that makishima attracts geniuses in the wrong path. I know this is reallly old and such, but its really bugging me. Another one, tougane used to be an enforcer before, right? Before he made all his handlers' hue dark and demoted them to enforcers. Now, on EP8 of s2 psycho pass, tougane called kasei 'mother' which means they're acquainted in some way. Here's my real question. If tougane works for Sybil, why would he demote inspectors into enforcers, seeing that inspectors are like the hands of sybil itself?

karice67 2014-11-28 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by keys.unlock.things. (Post 5351955)
Here's my real question. If tougane works for Sybil, why would he demote inspectors into enforcers, seeing that inspectors are like the hands of sybil itself?

Perhaps because Sibyl wants to demote (or eliminate) them, for some reason? Remember how division 2 was forced to cover up how they'd caught Touma Kousaburou in S1? Maybe one of the reasons Sibyl has someone like Tougane around is so that they can get rid of Inspectors who might become a liability to them, because they're starting to doubt the system etc...

atua 2014-11-28 06:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by keys.unlock.things. (Post 5351955)
Choe said that it was from 'past festivities' and then rikako said that makishima attracts geniuses in the wrong path. I know this is reallly old and such, but its really bugging me.

Makishima's a facilitator, a broker to criminals. He has a number of experts that help him, like Choe with programming/hacking, and Senguji as his patron to help finance his operation. The chemical expert is just another one like that, but never shown on screen. It was before Choe's time, so he doesn't know much about him. It was originally made for Kouzaburou, and the remainder of the resin went to Ouryou.

Quote:

If tougane works for Sybil, why would he demote inspectors into enforcers, seeing that inspectors are like the hands of sybil itself?
The brain currently in Kasei is Misako Tougane, Sakuya's mother. Going by the list of patents, it's heavily implied that she (or her predecessor) is the creator of the Sibyl System, and that the Tougane's are the real power behind Sibyl. As for why he would demote inspectors, why not? They're the psychopaths in control of everything, so he might as well entertain himself. It's also a "clean" way to get rid of unwanted, overly curious inspectors.

keys.unlock.things. 2014-11-28 06:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by karice67 (Post 5351963)
Perhaps because Sibyl wants to demote (or eliminate) them, for some reason? Remember how division 2 was forced to cover up how they'd caught Touma Kousaburou in S1? Maybe one of the reasons Sibyl has someone like Tougane around is so that they can get rid of Inspectors who might become a liability to them, because they're starting to doubt the system etc...

Yeah, I kinda think that's the case. Like tougane's some inside assassin that's gonna kill anyone against the system. Oh! One last question, guys. Is the toganes controlling the system or is it just there is a chance that togane's mom is in the system?