AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Muv-Luv Franchise (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Muv-Luv Franchise - Game & General Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=91180)

Nerroth 2010-02-03 14:59

Muv-Luv Franchise - Game & General Discussion

Following on from the stories told in Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Akane Maniax, the Muv-Luv franchise takes things into a wide and growing range of, one might say, Alternative directions!

The stories of Muv-Luv are spread over a range of timelines and settings. The first of the two universes shown in the original game is Extra - which starts the day after the events of Akane Maniax finish. In this reality, things seem somewhat normal, or at least as 'normal' as a Japanese high school setting in anime seems to be...

Yet, it is the second half of the original game, Unlimited, where things really start to get interesting. Rather than the relative peace (in Japan, at least) which one found in Extra, this world has been slowly ground down by a full-scale alien invasion, launched by a collection of life forms known to humanity as BETA. It is here where the Senjutsuhokousentouki (or Senjutsuki for short) - i.e. the mechs which help to define the franchise - are introduced.

The next game, Alternative, jumps to a second war-ravaged timeline. This is the world which has formed the basis of the range of spinoff stories - for example, while Alternative is mainly set in Japan, Total Eclipse is set in Alaska, while The Euro Front is, as its name suggests, in Western Europe.

After Alternative comes Altered Fable, which goes to a timeline which looks more like the peaceful world shown back in Extra. So far, unlike Extra/Unlimited and Alternative, Altered Fable does not seem to have an all-ages version, though I could be wrong (and there may or may not be such a version, if you'd want one, along sooner or later anyway.)

Included with Altered Fable, however, is the introduction to one of the side-stories previously mentioned - Total Eclipse. This story has been running in Tech Gian and published as a series of novels for a while now, and shows no sign of stopping.

The second notable side-story is The Euro Front - which has been updated in Hobby Japan each month. One of the notable aspects of this world is the range of Senjutsuki shown here, as opposed to those elsewhere on the planet. (In this setting, many of the mechs are named after 'real' warplanes, and are intended to echo them design-wise. TEF includes units based on the real-life Eurofighter Typhoon and Dassault Rafale, compared to the craft of Japanese, Russian and American origin elsewhere.)

There are a few other side-stories, too - some of which are previewed in this video - though it seems that TE and TEF are the ones to watch in terms of future development.

There's been a range of other merchandise released, too. Mitsurugi Meiya, one of the leading ladies of Muv-Luv, has been released in Figma form. Her signature mech, as well as a load of others from Alternative, Total Eclipse and The Euro Front, have been made by Volks, in their A3 line. (Damn, I wish that black EF-2000 wasn't an exclusive...) Plus, there are a few background books, not least Integral Works - which looks pretty neat...

Oh, and there's a Japanese-language wiki for the Alternative timeline, too. (On the TE page, it says there will be an all-ages release of that story released in 2010, but I'm not sure where the source for that comes from, so...)

And one other thing: Both the original Muv-Luv game (incorporating Extra and Unlimited) and Muv-Luv Alternative have an English translation project in the works.

So, have you already acquainted yourself with the Muv-Luv multiverse (Muv-tiverse?), or are you still wondering what all the fuss is about?

Alchemist007 2010-02-05 13:32

I remember seeing KGNE and was blown away. Then I looked into Maniax and was like "...nah."
Then I read that exact wiki page a couple years ago and basically my reaction was (and I'm precise with the number of each punctuation here)

"???????!"

Nerroth 2010-02-05 14:11

Which brings me to a point which stands out for me here, compared to other franchises I know.

If one looks at stories from, say, Type-Moon, the kind of details, events and supernatural creatures involved may differ, but the underlying connection to the broader Nasuverse is still present - or rather, it's present in terms of going into a story and expecting the unexpected, as it were.

To put it another way, Fate/Stay Night is a very different story to Tsukihime, but if someone told you they are in the same broader setting, it wouldn't be that hard to imagine it so.

In this case, however, neither Kiminozo nor Akane Maniax - nor, indeed, Muv-Luv Extra - give much in the way of clues as to what other timelines are out there... or that these are all somehow connected.

(Of course, that was part of the point - you weren't supposed to know until they suckered you with it. At this point, however, I think it's safe to say the cat is well and truly out of the bag.)

If you went into one game/anime/manga/etc expecting a certain kind of story, seeing things go in such a direction might seem more jarring to some.

I don't mind it, personally, as you might have guessed, but I can understand if others did.

Alchemist007 2010-02-05 17:05

For KGNE in particular (with how serious it was) it just seems...out of whack.
I'm usually a bit more open to alterations, even if I pay less attention to them.

gurakshun1 2010-02-19 20:55

Speaking of which, does anyone know whats going on with the website kiminozo.jp? I can't understand any of it, is it even related to KGNE anymore?

Alchemist007 2010-02-20 00:26

Looks like a blog O_o

gurakshun1 2010-02-21 15:37

Looks like it, but is it even related to KGNE anymore? I wish I could tell...

Malintex_Terek 2011-04-02 19:47

Alternative is the most spectacular visual novel I've ever played. 10/10, 100/100, 10000/10000 - one can't call it anything less than a Masterpiece. It needs a lot of investment in watching KGNE, Akane Maniax and then playing Extra and Unlimited, but it was well worth it.

I'm ruined for anime/manga, it can offer me nothing more after playing Alternative.

lHyDrAl 2011-07-11 01:47

Does watching KGNE and Akane Maniax suffice over playing their respective eroges? No English patches around and I really don't feel like paying for a game I have trouble understanding.

Zelloss 2011-07-24 12:08

http://zellmuvluv.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=604&h=189
If you understand french, zellmuvluv explain relation KMNE, Akane,... with Muv-Luv ;)

charizardpal 2012-03-17 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurakshun1 (Post 2923796)
Speaking of which, does anyone know whats going on with the website kiminozo.jp? I can't understand any of it, is it even related to KGNE anymore?

I think their real site is http://www.age-soft.jp/
They're still remaking the kimi nozomu universe and muv-luv games endlessly I think rather than new ones.

superangelo128 2012-05-07 22:30

I've read the whole Muv Luv series and like it but I didnt know of the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien cameos till after.

I'm thinking of watching the series soon.

Timsel 2012-05-09 00:43

By the way - english translation of MLA prequel "Schwarzesmarken"`s first chapter from Mister V is here:

http://xmistervx.blogspot.com/

Promising story about DDR pilots fighting BETA in 1983, 18 years before The Day of Alternative IV with art from CARNELIAN.

What a pity that we have raw scans only for first chapter that was published in Tech Gian!

delorean2200 2012-05-10 02:53

I found this and was quite surprised:

Suddenly the principle on which there suits are made seems way more credible :heh:.

Silvance 2012-05-28 16:23

Muv-Luv general thread, huh? Anything Muv-Luv related? Does that mean we can discuss the other series outside of the main trilogy? Just double-checking to make sure. >:3

On the side note, there sure have been a lot of TE figures being released as of late.

Who else is hoping for GSC releasing more figures of the characters in their eishi suit? I sure am. I'd do anything for a Yuzuka, Irisdina, or Yui eishi suit pvc. T^T

delorean2200 2012-06-17 13:43

I don't know if this is the right thread or not but did anyone else noticed this:

I really wish this gets finished, i don't even need a story just fighting swarms of beta in an actual TSF suffices for me XD.

NorthernFallout 2012-06-17 13:46

^I've been looking for that vid since I saw it. Thanks for posting again. Would so like to try it out simply for the feel.

delorean2200 2012-06-25 11:12

Found quite a gem of a video it really makes you remember all the good parts of the series:

*DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THROUGH THE ORIGINAL MUV-LUV AND MUV-LUV ATERNATIVE VISUAL NOVELS CONTAINS SPOILERS*

grevierr 2012-06-25 11:28

Enjoy some awesome Videos for MLA in the mean time: (Warning Massive Spoilers if you haven't played)

one of the better summaries of ML to MLA

Sendou 2012-06-25 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by delorean2200 (Post 4211401)
I don't know if this is the right thread or not but did anyone else noticed this:

I really wish this gets finished, i don't even need a story just fighting swarms of beta in an actual TSF suffices for me XD.

I saw those videos in youtube months ago. I think it's not done yet, but I have to applaud the one who's working on it. I can't imagine how much effort was put into it. He should include an option to use the S-11, that'd be a nice addition. If health points is almost out, it'd be wonderful to have an option to pass on with a bang. lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by delorean2200 (Post 4223957)
Found quite a gem of a video it really makes you remember all the good parts of the series:

Quote:

Originally Posted by grevierr (Post 4223987)
Enjoy some awesome Videos for MLA in the mean time: (Warning Massive Spoilers if you haven't played)

one of the better summaries of ML to MLA

What can I say? Really loved the scenes from Altered Fable that was used by the videos since it reminded me of how peaceful and fun that world is like. It helps me forget the suffering from Alternative even for just a brief moment.