AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

theOtherGuy 2006-01-09 16:07

http://www.dannychoo.com/slide/eng/g...r+busy+people/

So what did he do. He sprayed with the color can THEN with the top coat?

viper 2006-01-09 16:13

He sprayed the sprues (the runners as most of you know them by) with a primer, then followed by the color. After letting them dry in between coats, he panel lined the parts with a gundam marker. He then removed each piece from the sprue using sprue cutters and painted over imperfections. He then put the pieces together.

I don't know if he used a top clear coat or not since he doesnt metion it, but the clear coat should come near the end; meaning after you put together all the sub assemblies and prior to the final assembly of all the parts.

theOtherGuy 2006-01-09 16:24

So it's the primer that makes the texture all nice?

dj898 2006-01-09 18:00

i dunno...
I prefer to get the parts off sprues and sand down for test fitting and if necessary either cover the seam line with putty or make the seam line as part of panel line before I do anything else...

afterall everyone has different styles :D

Nesty 2006-01-09 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj898
i dunno...
I prefer to get the parts off sprues and sand down for test fitting and if necessary either cover the seam line with putty or make the seam line as part of panel line before I do anything else...

afterall everyone has different styles :D

we all have our own ways of doing it :)

for me it would be cutting out the pieces, doing the fine cutting with an exactoknife, sanding and pre assemble. after that, primer, paint (x amount of coats) final assemble, clear coat, decals, clear coat
:)

dj898 2006-01-09 21:49

he he

I'd be after get all the parts ready and pimed I usually tak break for some time b4 I get back to the kit - often several days if not weeks in between... :D I usually build more than one kit at the same time so if I get sick of the one I'm working I can work on the other one to cool off my head... :D

theOtherGuy 2006-01-09 23:18

Yeah, because I want to start making them look REALLY nice...rather then the no effort (non painted/panel lined) jobs. After reading what you guys said and looking at what www.dannychoo.com does, here's my thoughts on it.

Because I don't really want to do work on each individual piece after I cut it out, could it be possible to prime the whole runner. Then paint the entire runner. Cut out the pieces. Sand. Small paint on ugly bits. :D Then do my panel lines. Coat it. Decals...and should I coat it again?

And I have to ask you guys, what do you use to paint? Spray cans...markers...air brushes?

By the way, I had tried to paint with the Gundam Markers...such a horrible job. Probably it's just me and my beginner skills, but I made some of my old (already put together) SD kits look horrible. Well, it doesn't look so bad if you look at it like about a foot or a foot and half away. But when you take a picture of it...wow, just looks totally botched up. I'd post the pic, but I'm embarassed.

dj898 2006-01-09 23:39

nothing beats the air brushing.
you have so much control over it and the result can be outstanding!
I don't normally recommend the spray can - I do use on the diorama base though as it's helluva lot convenient before detailed brushing/weathering...

you can hand paint provided you get the mixture right to minimise the stroke mark... and use high quality brush that you can find. There is no one definite way to do things. You need to experiment and see what works best for you...

polar720 2006-01-09 23:52

Quote:

I don't normally recommend the spray can - I do use on the diorama base though as it's helluva lot convenient before detailed brushing/weathering...

you can hand paint provided you get the mixture right to minimise the stroke mark... and use high quality brush that you can find. There is no one definite way to do things. You need to experiment and see what works best for you...

This just reminded me that I need to go buy a new airbrush cause mine is total crap. Thanks.

theOtherGuy 2006-01-10 00:05

Quote:

Hmm....airbrushing, how much did you guys spend on that? Need to make sure it's in my budget... For a 20 year old, I'm not willing to spend too much...

dj898 2006-01-10 00:33

it's one of those thing that you get what you paid.
if you get cheap air brush it really is cheap and won't last much long - if not ruining your model before that.... he he

ask around and visit your local hobby shop - maybe railway model shops - and ask for their advise... even better attend one of those railway modelling club meeting if there's one and ask around - many of those have amazing skills...

I usually visit my local hobby shop once a month and generally just chat with one of the guys working at railway section - for a hint or news on new products etc.

mangatron 2006-01-10 02:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by theOtherGuy
Yeah, because I want to start making them look REALLY nice...rather then the no effort (non painted/panel lined) jobs. After reading what you guys said and looking at what www.dannychoo.com does, here's my thoughts on it.

Because I don't really want to do work on each individual piece after I cut it out, could it be possible to prime the whole runner. Then paint the entire runner. Cut out the pieces. Sand. Small paint on ugly bits. :D Then do my panel lines. Coat it. Decals...and should I coat it again?

And I have to ask you guys, what do you use to paint? Spray cans...markers...air brushes?

By the way, I had tried to paint with the Gundam Markers...such a horrible job. Probably it's just me and my beginner skills, but I made some of my old (already put together) SD kits look horrible. Well, it doesn't look so bad if you look at it like about a foot or a foot and half away. But when you take a picture of it...wow, just looks totally botched up. I'd post the pic, but I'm embarassed.

If you go to the very first page in this thread, you'll see my HG 1/144 Aegis, all in it's phase down glory thanks to spray paint. After receiving the Aegis in the mail I took out the runners, sprayed them with the parts still on and then worked from there.

Krylon spray paint, will not cost more than 4 dollars, of course, depending on where you live and where you buy it from.

And gundam markers are fun to use, at least, on the low level. Of course if I were to Gundam Marker-ize my Aegis, it really will look horrible and take an awful long time to finish.

And to me, airbrushes won't last long if you don't take care of it. :)

dj898 2006-01-10 02:39

one reason why I always wait till last minuted and with couple of kits build up before I pull out the air brush.... it's pain in the a** to keep it clean afterwards... :(

theOtherGuy 2006-01-10 03:22

Hmm, so spray paints are doable. Well, I have ordered a few SD kits (no Gundam stores or good hobby stores in my city....or that I've found so far), and I'll probably do the spraying on those. I don't want to ruin any of my MGs yet. :D About the air brushing, I can spend a few hundred on it...but I don't know...

viper 2006-01-10 03:41

Spray paints are definately usable, but they have no where near the control of an airbrush. If you do get an airbrush, don't get one of those cheap plastic single action airbrushes. Get yourself a nice dual action one from brands like Badger,Iwata,etc.

theOtherGuy 2006-01-10 03:48

What's the price range on those?

mangatron 2006-01-10 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by theOtherGuy
What's the price range on those?

Nice selection, If your crazy, or if you want to know more about Iwata. :heh: :heh: :uhoh: :heh:

MakubeX2 2006-01-10 06:23

Paper Kits, anyone ?

http://june.blog14.fc2.com/

Look at the previous 2 kits he put up.

http://blog14.fc2.com/j/june/file/ver_ka5.jpg
http://blog14.fc2.com/j/june/file/h0_1.jpg

Make no mistake, both are made from paper. Too bad the Blogger has no plans to re-release both kits in the future. But he's working on more stuffs, namely a RX-79 G for now. Keep a look out for now.

mangatron 2006-01-10 06:52

Wow talk about amazing, goes to show even paper looks great XD

I wonder how heavy they are :heh:....

Nesty 2006-01-10 09:57

the airbrush i'm currently using is the iwata eclipse bcs. it's a really good airbrush but the only thing i don't like about it is that it's a bottom feed not a top feed. at times, i can't get the last bit of paint from the bottom can...... now that's annoying -_-;