AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

wavehawk 2015-05-03 02:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chibiloli (Post 5521398)
Just out of curiousity, is the size pf a HGUC Victory the same as every pther HG set? Or shorter?

- WAAAYYY shorter. The Victory, F91 and Crossbone are supposedly 15m tall. Wing/X Gundam MS are 16-17m tall and the standard older UC/SEED/00 MS are 18-19m tall.

That's why I love those series of MS, they're both smaller than standard MS yet pack twice the power.
Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2015-05-03 03:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavehawk (Post 5521562)
- WAAAYYY shorter. The Victory, F91 and Crossbone are supposedly 15m tall. Wing/X Gundam MS are 16-17m tall and the standard older UC/SEED/00 MS are 18-19m tall.

That's why I love those series of MS, they're both smaller than standard MS yet pack twice the power.
Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

Certain Gunpla reviewers actually a bit salty with the HGUC Victories, Crossbones & F91s. They said they're not in scale and too big. I think some of them (Kakarot197 is one IIRC) even took the effort to measure the size and scale, and they came up with something around 1/137, not 1/144. Ironically, they said the non-scale Robot Damashii and the older no-grade 1/144 are closer to (if not fit) the accurate 1/144 scale than the HGUC :heh:. Further, they said if the supposedly scaled Plamo does not follow their own scale then what's the point of collecting them and displayed it beside the other HGUC Gundams of previous timelines?

I personally have no problem with it.

Patriot's Blade 2015-05-03 12:18

how about the HGUC Loto's, who were much smaller? :heh:

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2015-05-03 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. (Post 5522174)
how about the HGUC Loto's, who were much smaller? :heh:

Well, I hear no complaints from the reviewers I follow. So I think the Loto's size is pretty accurate in 1/144 scale.

wavehawk 2015-05-04 03:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 5521652)
Certain Gunpla reviewers actually a bit salty with the HGUC Victories, Crossbones & F91s. They said they're not in scale and too big. I think some of them (Kakarot197 is one IIRC) even took the effort to measure the size and scale, and they came up with something around 1/137, not 1/144. Ironically, they said the non-scale Robot Damashii and the older no-grade 1/144 are closer to (if not fit) the accurate 1/144 scale than the HGUC :heh:.

- The formula for 1/144 scale is easy:

(<Height in Meters> / 144 ) * 100 = actual kit Height in Centimeters

I don't have an RD Victory to compare but I do have an RD F91. So on the one hand they're right: The F91 is supposedly 15.2m tall in real life. That means that in scale it should actually be 10.5cm tall. The HGUC F91 is definitely bigger than scale. I put in the HG G30th RX-78kit in for comparison, as the RX-78 is supposedly 18m (which is exactly 12.5cm), and basically point of reference for all my MS kits.

Don't ask about the dust buildup

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psa9jdnwos.jpg

RD F91 = 12cm
HGUC F91 = 11cm
G30th RX-78 = 12.5cm

But the RD F91 is taller than the HGUG F91. So if the RD F91 'fits' the 1/144 scale better than the HGUC, explain to me this picture where I've just taken the photos right now at short notice? Unless they think that the Crossbone, F91, and Victory kits are the same size as the older HGUC Gundams (which they're not).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psdk6sp2fp.jpg

Also, there were no 1/144 F91 kits, but there were Victory Kits, and yes the older 1/144 kits were smaller. I don't mind the scale difference too much as it's not a bit enough difference to make me freak out, and on a diorama the difference between 1/137 to 1/144 isn't big enough to matter (you can use N-scale train bits with 1/144 scale kits, and N-scale wavers between 1/148 to 1/160). The smaller the scale size, the smaller difference in actual size. And the difference is so small it's negligible for most modelmakers save for the most a-retentive.

So if it's not a big enough deal for mecha modelers, I'd say it's not a big enough deal for casual gunpla builders to whine about.

Quote:

Further, they said if the supposedly scaled Plamo does not follow their own scale then what's the point of collecting them and displayed it beside the other HGUC Gundams of previous timelines?
- Point taken, but honestly other than Bandai and most other mecha modelmakers, not many people build things in exact 1/144 scale outside of novelties like Dragon's 1/144 aircraft and tank kits. And as I said, the difference at these smaller scales wouldn't bother most modelmakers, so I guess I don't get why they're raging about it?

wavehawk 2015-05-04 04:16

Putting this in a separate post just to clarify a few things. Just to illustrate how the smaller a scale is the less difference would matter:
(<Height in Meters> / Scale ) * 100 = actual kit Height in Centimeters

Let's say you have an 15.2m tall Gundam F91 MS. What would it be like in Cms as per scale (Rounded to 2nd decimal point)?
1/6 (Large Soldier Figure Scale) = 253.33cm
1/12 (Superhero Figure Scale) = 126.66cm
1/18 (G.I. Joe/Star Wars small figure scale) = 84.44cm
1/35 (Standard military vehicle scale) = 43.43cm
1/60 (Perfect Grade) = 25.33cm
1/72 (Military Aircraft scale) = 21.11cm
1/100 (Master Grade) = 15.2cm
1/137 (as per previous post, Kakarot's approx) = 11.09cm
1/144 (High Grade UC) = 10.55cm
1/148 (Higher N-Scale) = 10.27cm
1/160 (Lower N-Scale) = 9.5cm

So the smaller in scale you go, the less obvious the size difference is.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2015-05-04 04:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavehawk (Post 5522866)
But the RD F91 is taller than the HGUG F91. So if the RD F91 'fits' the 1/144 scale better than the HGUC, explain to me this picture where I've just taken the photos right now at short notice? Unless they think that the Crossbone, F91, and Victory kits are the same size as the older HGUC Gundams (which they're not).

The "RD better fits the 1/144"-part might be my memory failed me to remember what they actually said. But I do remember they said the old No-grade 1/144 Victories better fits the scale and maybe other figures (are F91, Victory, & Crossbone made it to MSIA line?).

Anyway, thanks for your enlightening post. Like I said, I personally have no problem with the scale-issue. In fact, now that I see RD F91 is bigger than the HGUC, I'm considering to get that one :D. Other than bigger size, I remember RD F91 has better-shaped "fins" on the shoulders.

wavehawk 2015-05-04 04:48

Well, that's why the RD line is specifically non-scale--most of them focus more on playability, so if you're not fond of building kits get those. They tend to be more durable--the only reason I got the RD F91 was because I'd resigned myself years back that Bandai was never going to make the Victory/F91/Crossbone series MS in HGUC format, but I'm glad they did (yes, I have the MG F91 too--considering that I don't collect MGs that much, that shoudl tell you how much I love these small Gundams).

I prefer kits because I like building them and I can customise them to my liking. But it does worry me: If Bandai is making HGUC F-series kits that are slightly larger than proper scale, then I guess a perfectly in-scale Gundam F90 (14.8meters, so 10.27cm) and fully-integrated for mission packs would be a nightmare for Bandai to make.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2015-05-04 05:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavehawk (Post 5522909)
Well, that's why the RD line is specifically non-scale--most of them focus more on playability, so if you're not fond of building kits get those. They tend to be more durable--the only reason I got the RD F91 was because I'd resigned myself years back that Bandai was never going to make the Victory/F91/Crossbone series MS in HGUC format, but I'm glad they did (yes, I have the MG F91 too--considering that I don't collect MGs that much, that shoudl tell you how much I love these small Gundams).

I prefer kits because I like building them and I can customise them to my liking. But it does worry me: If Bandai is making HGUC F-series kits that are slightly larger than proper scale, then I guess a perfectly in-scale Gundam F90 (14.8meters, so 10.27cm) and fully-integrated for mission packs would be a nightmare for Bandai to make.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love building model kits. It's a matter of providing time for me. I'm considering getting RD F91 coz it has better "Shoulder fins" that better represent the line-art and the looks like the one in the anime. The old 1/100 F91 also has perfect "shoulder fins" but the overall kit left a lot to be desired. The shoulder fins on the MG is atrocious. So, the RD seems to be a perfect blend of modern design & good shoulder fins, that's what I aim at.

HGUC F90s complete with its packs and non-ugly face should be a treat.

wavehawk 2015-05-04 05:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 5522918)
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love building model kits. It's a matter of providing time for me. I'm considering getting RD F91 coz it has better "Shoulder fins" that better represent the line-art and the looks like the one in the anime. The old 1/100 F91 also has perfect "shoulder fins" but the overall kit left a lot to be desired. The shoulder fins on the MG is atrocious. So, the RD seems to be a perfect blend of modern design & good shoulder fins, that's what I aim at.

- The trouble with the F91's fins is that in the actual MS they're folded up in multiple layers. The 1/100 had them attach on, just like the RD so they have the full size ones.

The MG had them fold inward but they were ridiculously tiny as a result.

Quote:

HGUC F90s complete with its packs and non-ugly face should be a treat.
- HEY!~

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2015-05-04 05:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavehawk (Post 5522922)
- The trouble with the F91's fins is that in the actual MS they're folded up in multiple layers. The 1/100 had them attach on, just like the RD so they have the full size ones.

The MG had them fold inward but they were ridiculously tiny as a result.

The MG is trying too hard to be "legit". Bandai should just swallow their pride a bit and let MG F91 have slapped-on long and upward shoulder fins that better resemble the anime. It might not be a "legit" way, but it could've look glorious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavehawk (Post 5522922)
- HEY!~

Seriously dude, F90's face in those 1/100 kits looks like Gorilla's. Some local modellers I know even called 1/100 F90 the "Ape Gundam" :heh:. Not even the GFF can avoid the ugly face IIRC.

wavehawk 2015-05-04 06:08

<<---loves the F90

(curls up in a ball and whimpers)

Chibiloli 2015-05-04 07:39

So if I want a post UC gundam to match the height of my usual MS, I should get the 1/100 size?

Blue-kun 2015-05-04 11:30

Question! Thought I was gonna get HGUC Unicorn, but due to playing SRW Z2 non-stop and making good use of Garrod whenever I can (gotta love blowing up huge lines of enemies with TS Cannon), I decided I'd like to get a Double X first.

I know the MG just came out, but currently that's a bit over my budget mainly because of shipping and how it'll certainly be taxed when it gets here, so I'm looking at that HGAW model that came out in 2013. Anyone here owns it? How is it? I've seen a couple reviews on YouTube and it seems to look pretty good, but thought I'd get some more input on it. Cheers :V

Skye629 2015-05-04 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chibiloli (Post 5523010)
So if I want a post UC gundam to match the height of my usual MS, I should get the 1/100 size?

Yes and No

Yes the sizes are closer if you get the 1/100 in some cases, they will be taller than 18m units, but will be about the same size if not less than other larger units

And no do not get unless you really really want. The old kits are old, and have issues, along with people inflating the prices thinking they're rare. The MG's are either dated, like the F91, or have some serious flaws (like the Victory). Of the 1/100 bunch, I think the Crossbone MGs are the best, but they're still dated by todays standards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue-kun (Post 5523209)
Question! Thought I was gonna get HGUC Unicorn, but due to playing SRW Z2 non-stop and making good use of Garrod whenever I can (gotta love blowing up huge lines of enemies with TS Cannon), I decided I'd like to get a Double X first.

I know the MG just came out, but currently that's a bit over my budget mainly because of shipping and how it'll certainly be taxed when it gets here, so I'm looking at that HGAW model that came out in 2013. Anyone here owns it? How is it? I've seen a couple reviews on YouTube and it seems to look pretty good, but thought I'd get some more input on it. Cheers :V

The HGAW is a great kit from everything I have seen and read. The main thing I guess is whether you are fine with the gold stickers, or whether you are going to paint those yourself

Blue-kun 2015-05-04 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 5523770)
Yes and No

Yes the sizes are closer if you get the 1/100 in some cases, they will be taller than 18m units, but will be about the same size if not less than other larger units

And no do not get unless you really really want. The old kits are old, and have issues, along with people inflating the prices thinking they're rare. The MG's are either dated, like the F91, or have some serious flaws (like the Victory). Of the 1/100 bunch, I think the Crossbone MGs are the best, but they're still dated by todays standards

The HGAW is a great kit from everything I have seen and read. The main thing I guess is whether you are fine with the gold stickers, or whether you are going to paint those yourself

I think, at least from what I can see in videos and what not, that the stickers for the panels don't bug me, they seem to look pretty nice. What I'd like to try my hand at painting is the little red jewel, but considering my 'painting experience' is limited to the little piece in the RG Justice's horn, I'm not so sure I should be venturing out on that, haha. :heh:

Mainly because unlike that one, in this case it seems like it's all one big piece @ the v-fin, so there's the risk of dropping red outside of the limit of the 'jewel'. But I suppose I'll see to that whenever the kit actually gets here.

Skye629 2015-05-08 21:04

Got my HGUC Pale Rider!!!

Ummm how do I link Imgur pics again?

Edit: Helois Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/EXPJtTul.jpg

helois 2015-05-09 04:30

[IMG]image[/IMG]

;)

( or the tiny landscape button )

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2015-05-10 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavehawk (Post 5522866)
I don't have an RD Victory to compare but I do have an RD F91. So on the one hand they're right: The F91 is supposedly 15.2m tall in real life. That means that in scale it should actually be 10.5cm tall. The HGUC F91 is definitely bigger than scale. I put in the HG G30th RX-78kit in for comparison, as the RX-78 is supposedly 18m (which is exactly 12.5cm), and basically point of reference for all my MS kits.

Don't ask about the dust buildup

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psa9jdnwos.jpg

Picking up on our last conversation, I’ve just found a fun fact. The old RD Crossbone (X-3 on the right) turns out to be smaller than the newer RD Crossbone (X-1 on the left & X-3 in the middle). So the reviewers' statement that RD (at least the old Crossbone ones) being truer to the scale might hold water (emphasis on "might"). Though I can only assume as I don’t know the exct size of that old RD.

http://www.gundammodelkits.com/wp-co...3-image-24.jpg

wavehawk 2015-05-10 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 5529548)
Picking up on our last conversation, I’ve just found a fun fact. The old RD Crossbone (X-3 on the right) turns out to be smaller than the newer RD Crossbone (X-1 on the left & X-3 in the middle). So the reviewers' statement that RD (at least the old Crossbone ones) being truer to the scale might hold water (emphasis on "might"). Though I can only assume as I don’t know the exct size of that old RD.

http://www.gundammodelkits.com/wp-co...3-image-24.jpg

- As I said I can only speak for the RD F91 I have. The two RD on the left are the newer RDs and I think they have sturdier construction for play. The one on the right has a build similar to my RD F91. And again it's kind of hard to prove since they were usign the RD Victory as reference as you said.

And I finally found some pics comparing the 1/100 MG versions. Again, comparing the Crossbone wiht the RX-78:
http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/m93/p/m93_93.jpg

And with the Unicorn:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PcjPXgesAg...0/IMG_5699.JPG
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PcjPXgesAg...0/IMG_5701.jpg

And just for giggles, the rD F91 comapred with the SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Black RX and Ultra-Act Ultraman:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...vh5OABoetbmiYq