AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

Newtyped 2006-04-13 19:10

i like gundam because its seriousness
its not sum stupid anime with cat girls and magic attacks
gundam got me into anime, and i only like that kinda anime
sd to me is the bane of gundam to me -.-
its making fun of gundam,
and its not very fun
just retarted
but anyway thanks for the recomandation, i'll check this seed thing out.
any particular mecha?

OmegaZEROCustom 2006-04-13 19:16

Well, to each his own I suppose...

Anyway, as for suggestions as to the NG kits, I have thrown together the M1 Astray, BuCUE, Blast Impulse, Slash ZAKU and the Freedom and Strike Freedom. Of those, only the Freedom and Strike Freedom got a lot of attention to detail paid, and the others were just quicky, non-seam sealed and painted with Gundam Markers.

As for which one to get, I'd say just pick a design that you like the look of. There isn't much to any of them due to the limited articulation, so they are all pretty much as good as the next one. Just go with a design you like.

Newtyped 2006-04-13 19:17

i dont know where to buy them though :(
are they still in toysrus?
caus i can get them easily there with money being no issue >> << >>

Meehlimo 2006-04-13 19:20

sd's are horrible nothing compared to the real thing.
but anyway do your Hyperion next i have all the 1/144 destiny and seed models and its one of my fav it just looks so cool when its done plus its gemicks are sweet the light sheild is sweet looking.

Newtyped 2006-04-13 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meehlimo
but anyway do your Hyperion next i have all the 1/144 destiny and seed models and its one of my fav it just looks so cool when its done plus its gemicks are sweet the light sheild is sweet looking.

yes, we should make an sd hateclub T_T
but seriously how much do these models cost nowadays?
i remember back in the day regular models were like 8$ (the gw ones)
and the waltz ones were like 20

OmegaZEROCustom 2006-04-13 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newtyped
i dont know where to buy them though :(
are they still in toysrus?
caus i can get them easily there with money being no issue >> << >>

Not a chance Toys R Us would have NG SEED models since they never came into the US. They MIGHT have some of the HG 1/144 or 1/100 SEED kits, but thats pushing it.

Tisinc99.com is good; HLJ.com is good as well, and using SAL shipping is cheap, especially if you buy 2-3 models. Never bought any NG models anywhere else.

As for pricing, Tisinc sells the NG's for like 4-5 bucks.
http://www.tisinc99.com/gusede.html#top

Thats the link to the Destiny section. You'll see the NG kits simply listed as 1/144 kits and not the HG 1/144's listed later on.

Quote:

But that why I like the SD's; because they aren't their original form. The SD Strike Freedom has all the gimmics of it's 1/144 counterpart and yet its different. But like I said before, to each his own. I like the SD's. You guys don't. More money to spend on the HG's and so forth, right?

Anyway, thats one for the Hyperion. I want to get a few more responses and see what people lean toward.

The_Marshal_AEB 2006-04-13 19:33

Quote:

Nah the black fine tip that i use isnt what ur thinkng about its much smaller. i think it is an 0.5 as i had to get a permant 0.5 for akatsukis armor cuz the normal gundam marker wouldnt write on it. but in other words they are about the same size but much cheaper than hoppy pens that run 5 - 7 dollers.

I used 0.1 drawing pen on my akatsuki ...

About SDs I think they are just like nonscale 1/144 made for practice but 1/144nonsc. is usefull for salvage, battle damages .... but there are great modelers who treat the SD great

Newtyped 2006-04-13 19:35

but i noticed models i bought in teh past were in japanese =/
and i bought mine from toysrus...

OmegaZEROCustom 2006-04-13 19:45

Yeah, when Wing was hot, Bandai did 2 things. First they produced all new American packaging for the Wing models, stuck in the US instructions as well as the JAP ones, and sold them as such. Later on, when I believe demand was extremely high, they started importing the Japanese versions, sticking in the US manual, and then slapping a sticker to the side panels with the English name on it, but the front boxart was still the Japanese lettering. I remember my old HG Sandrock 1/144 and a few others were like that (which I got from Toys R Us.com). When the HGUC and MG's started coming over here, they started back with the US packaging, and with SEED and some of the 1/100 Endless Waltz re-releases (can sometimes be found at Gamestop), they created diorama-esque pictures using the actual models. I know the EW re-releases were given the US instructions, but since all my SEED kits came from Japan, I only have the Japanese instructions.

Kata 2006-04-13 19:50

All my models were in japanese (thank god for pictures), they are mostly MG and Wing models. The thing is I ususally buy them at conventions.

KeNj1 2006-04-13 20:13

hey guys i was wondering if anyone knows anything about the formula409 product that strips the gold chrome away from gundam kits like HG 1/144 Akatsuki and MG Hyaku Shiki .

Is it just ordinary kitchen cleaning product? or is there a specific product u need to get? i check the website and theres like 4 variations which one do i get? :confused: can i just use normal kitchen cleaner? and how do u soak all the pieces in it when its like a spray? do u have to pour it all into a bowl with no water mixture? =\

o yeah btw i live in aus and in syd does anyone have any recommendations on where to go to buy the product that will strip the gold chrome away?

GameraBaenre 2006-04-13 20:51

I usually soak the parts in a tub of industrial strength cleaner like "Castrol Super Clean" or something. The cleaner is usually purple in color and very strong. Use gloves when handling. http://www.gamerabaenre.com/images/c...%20017_jpg.jpg
This is a picture of some parts I soaked to remove paint.

Soaking for about one to two days will have the chrome peel or fall right off. Check out your local auto parts shops or the auto sections of your super shops like Targets and Walmarts. You should find a similar product.

OmegaZEROCustom 2006-04-13 21:58

Yeah, I'll second that Castrol Super Clean suggestion. I tried the 409 approach, but strangely, it stripped the hell out of the Akatsuki's plain silver undersides on the parts, but the clear yellow coated top side wouldn't budge unless I scrubbed it VERY hard with a toothbrush, and that still left small flecks on the parts. After seeing GameraBaenre mention that Castrol stuff, I got myself some and tried it on the remaining parts. After about a half a day or so, it was flaking off just like he described. I figure it only took half a day due to the 409 having stripped some of it already. When I hit it with the toothbrush, it peeled away and after dunking it in a water bath, the little flecks were gone too.

Damn fine stuff, but wearing gloves is something I should have paid attention to. That stuff burns bad. My skin was peeling like it were chrome on the parts....ok, maybe it wasn't THAT bad, but it did blister a bit in a few places.

I do have a question for you about the stuff though Gamera. How often do you replace it with fresh product? I've only soaked the Akatsuki kit, and like I said, the 409 had done away with the chrome on the underside of the parts, so roughly half the chrome. I know I am getting the other Akatsuki kit when it comes out, as well as a MG Hyaku Shiki in the coming months, so I want to make sure that if I should get clean product after 1-2 models that I do so.

KeNj1 2006-04-13 22:02

just wondering.... with the castrol super clean thingo, do u make it just a whole tub full of JUST that or do u mix it with water and if so wats a rough ratio for water:castrol clean thing? thanks heaps btw! :D matt gold akatsuki will be alive soon ^^

i personally think that the gold on MG Hyaku Shiki looks alot nicer than akatsuki one.. its more whitish gold and suits the kit better than matt i reckon... but thats just me cos i have both hehehe ^^

o yeah btw does anyone know how to fix the leg joints on Mk II AEUG ver.2 ? the part where the leg connects to the ball joint that connects to the torso ? it is VERY loose and it pisses me off alot when trying to pose it >< any suggestions people? and also any tips on how to make the waist/body turn since it is initially stuck due to bandai's crappy production ><

and one more thing.. lol where can u buy stands for MG's and HG's? T_T i think theres some in hlj but i dont know which one since there are like 4 and i dont want to waste money on buying the wrong one ><

GameraBaenre 2006-04-13 22:33

I have yet to replace the tub of cleaner. So I cannot answer that. It should still work just as well. If you notice a drop off in performance, then change out the liquid... fairly simple.

I have not diluted the cleaner with anything. I've used it straight from the bottle.

OmegaZEROCustom 2006-04-13 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameraBaenre
I have yet to replace the tub of cleaner. So I cannot answer that. It should still work just as well. If you notice a drop off in performance, then change out the liquid... fairly simple.

Thats kind of what I figured. I really can't see how the chrome would affect the stuff all that much, and seeing as the only kits I see in the near future that will need it are the Shiki and the Oowashi Akatsuki, I doubt I'll need to replace it for a long time. Seeing how many kits you have soaked in it, I'm sure I'll get lots of mileage from it.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:

and one more thing.. lol where can u buy stands for MG's and HG's? T_T i think theres some in hlj but i dont know which one since there are like 4 and i dont want to waste money on buying the wrong one ><
For MG's and 1/100 HG's, I have 2 of these stands and I like them:

http://www.hlj.com/product/YLSPPC-22

I have considered getting one of the two these for my 1/144's (and teh second one will support 1/100's as well, something they didn't previously mention):

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGTT-29
http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYMB-02

However, I just saw these today, and while they aren't taking any orders right now, since they are like the larger MS Stands, I may get these instead when I can for my 1/144s:

http://www.hlj.com/product/YLSPPC-28

KeNj1 2006-04-13 23:07

thanks heaps for the tips GameraBaenre & OmegaZEROCustom i really appreciate the quick replies :D

btw the 3rd stand u mentioned doesnt look like it will support 1/100 scale kits since the arc is only 9cm but who cares ill be getting it anyway since its alot cheaper than the ms stand :D

Meehlimo 2006-04-13 23:12

what mobile suit or gundam is on this stand i cant seem to indentify it http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYMB-02

OmegaZEROCustom 2006-04-13 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeNj1
btw the 3rd stand u mentioned doesnt look like it will support 1/100 scale kits since the arc is only 9cm but who cares ill be getting it anyway since its alot cheaper than the ms stand :D

See, I thought the same thing, but yet HLJ says it can be set to mount a 1/100. I'm ordering a few of them because even if they don't work with my 1/100's, I have enough 1/144's that it'll make the purchase worthwhile.

Meehlimo, I have looked at that item for months now, and I still don't know which MS that is. Part of me wanted to say it was a Gouf, but the legs look all wrong. I'm betting on a Zeta-era MS, but nothing comes to mind.

theOtherGuy 2006-04-13 23:30

Ive always thought that the SD and the NG kits are the hardest. Such a difficult time to paint and detail...